• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Top 6 countries where Singaporeans might actually be able to retire

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
http://business.asiaone.com/news/to...-actually-be-able-retire#sthash.LehGooPA.dpuf

1. Malaysia

While Johor has long been a popular choice for Singaporean retirees, many still snootily think of Malaysia as Singapore's poorer, more dangerous cousin.

But ask any Malaysian working in Singapore and they'll tell you that Singapore's overcrowded shopping malls don't hold a candle to Malaysia's beautiful beaches, verdant jungle and more laid back way of life.

Malaysia also has one of the world's best retirement programmes, offering the possibility of a 10 year visa and the right to invest in Malaysian property.

Length of visa: 10 years

Minimum age: None, although there are less onerous requirements for those above 50.
Requirements: Applicants under 50 must have liquid assets above 500,000 MYR (188,650 SGD) and a monthly income of over 10,000 MYR (3,770 SGD); applicants over 50 must have assets of over 350,000 MYR (132,100 SGD) and a monthly retirement income of 10,000 MYR (3,770 SGD).

Upon approval of the application, you must maintain in a Malaysian bank account a fixed deposit of 300,000 MYR (113,200 SGD) if you're under 50 or 150,000 MYR (56,600 SGD) if you're over 50. Some withdrawal is allowed for property purchases, medical insurance or children's education expenses. Those receiving a government pension of over 10,000 MYR (3,770 SGD) a month are exempt from this requirement.

Visa holders are allowed to invest in businesses, although only certain applicants will be granted the right to work up to 20 hours, depending on the usefulness of their expertise.

2. Thailand

Thailand is one of Singapore's favourite countries, and practically every Singaporean knows how to say "sawadeeka" or "sawakeekrap".
At the moment, you can live a fairly luxurious life in Thailand for under $1,000 a month including rent. Whether you'll be lazing on a beautiful Thai beach with a cocktail in hand or finding out how 60 is the new 20 at Thai discos, you won't have felt this good since never.

Best of all, the visa requirements are pretty easy to satisfy.

Length of visa: 1 year

Minimum age: 50

Requirements: At least 800,000 THB (32,000 SGD) in a Thai bank account OR proof of a monthly income of 65,000 THB (2,660 SGD) OR a combination of the two.

3. Indonesia

Bali is already a hugely popular retirement destination for foreigners, but Yogyakarta with its cultural gems and Bandung with its relatively cool weather are also great choices.

Length of visa: 1 year, extendable to a maximum of 5 years

Minimum age: 55
Requirements: A minimum of 1,500 USD (1,970 SGD) per month and proof of accommodation costing at least 35,000 USD (46,000 SGD) if purchased, 500 USD (660 SGD) a month if rented in Jakarta, Bandung or Bali, 300 USD (390 SGD) a month if rented in Java Island, Batam, Medan and 200 USD (260 SGD) a month if rented in other cities. Retirees are required to employ an Indonesian maid during their stay in Indonesia.

Visa fees are typically about 5 million IDR (530 SGD) to 7 million IDR (740 SGD).

4. Costa Rica

Long before Singaporeans started leaving the country, US citizens were retiring in Costa Rica, known as one of the world's #1 retirement destination. While Costa Rica is home to stunning beaches and rainforests, it is also the Central American country with the highest standard of living, so you won't have to worry about not being able to find modern amenities or services

Length of visa: Renewable every year so long as you show proof of income

Minimum age: none

Requirements: At least 1,000 USD (1,300 SGD) a month through pension or a social security benefit, or proof of a 2,500 USD (3,300 SGD) monthly income for at least five years.

While you're not allowed to work, you can run a business.

5. New Zealand

Singaporeans often refer to New Zealand as the perfect place for retirement, ostensibly because it's slow paced and full of jaw-dropping natural landscapes.

It is also the closest "Western" country to Singapore that offers a retirement visa, ever since Australia closed its doors to new applicants.
If you want to spend your golden years gazing at glaciers and looking at the stars instead of fighting your way through crowded shopping malls, consider retiring in New Zealand… if you're loaded, that is.

Length of visa: 2 years, renewable if requirements are met

Minimum age: 66
Requirements: Investments of at least 750,000 NZD (765,000 SGD) over 2 years. You also need to nominate 500,000 NZD (510,000 SGD) for maintenance funds and prove that you have an annual income of 60,000 NZD (61,100 SGD).

6. Canada

It's easy to see why so many Singaporeans flock to Canada, given it's wide diversity of cultures. With Vancouver ranked the 3rd most liveable city in the world, and Toronto following after at number 4, Singaporeans can choose between living in the city or in a much more rural area. Also, with income tax

Length of visa: To live in Canada permanently or for more than six months a year, you usu*ally must apply for permanent resident status.

Minimum age: None

Requirements: If you're well educated, you speak fluent English and French, and your spouse also has a univesity degree, you're more likely to qualify. Also, another factor is the amount of savings you have.

Even though you're retired, if you can demonstrate that you have ample financial resources to take care of your*self and your family, Canada will usually look more favourably on your application. And if you have funds to invest in Canada, that's another plus.

They have a simple and short survey you can take to find out if you are eligible for permanent residency.

This article first appeared in MoneySmart.sg at http://blog.moneysmart.sg/lifestyle/top-6-countries-singaporeans-might-a...

MoneySmart.sg is Singapore’s leading personal finance portal, and aims to help people maximise their money with powerful tools and engaging content.

Runifyouhaveto

Alfrescian
Loyal
Boss Sam, due to the conscription and life-stress, I dun want my kids to grow up here. I also don't want them, to be enslaved by living expenses, car and housing debts like their dad.

Do you think US, Aust or NZ have suitable cities or townships to send my kids to? Where will you send your child to, if you are in my shoes?

I will probably not leave here so that I can continue to take care of my parents. A US relative offered to adopt my kids so that they can move over to US. Can you give RUN some guidance on other simpler methods for his kids to obtain residency and citizenships in another land?

dancingshoes

Alfrescian
Loyal
my niece returned to s'pore after spending few years in NY, i have another ABC friend who is working as a car salesman in california, he was a smoker, late last year, the company laid down a policy that they will not be insured if they keep on smoking. i think not necessarily grass is greener overseas. it's good to visit but not staying over for good.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Boss Sam, due to the conscription and life-stress, I dun want my kids to grow up here. I also don't want them, to be enslaved by living expenses, car and housing debts like their dad. ....

If you are looking at North America I recommend taking a look at Canada e.g. British Columbia. It is not as cold as the other places in Canada. Canada has more sane people than in the USA. They also look after their citizens e.g. universal health care.

Vancouver is very asian with many hongkies, ex-Sporean, .... So your parents may find it possible to join you there?

As a Canadian citizen you are also allowed to work in the USA.

soIsee

Alfrescian
Loyal
If Thailand is no. 2 in your shit list to retire in, why would Pay You Cock chose to un-retire at a age well over retirement and come back to Shitland to do so and eat curry rice? LoLoLoLoL

Runifyouhaveto

Alfrescian
Loyal
If you are looking at North America I recommend taking a look at Canada e.g. British Columbia. It is not as cold as the other places in Canada. Canada has more sane people than in the USA. They also look after their citizens e.g. universal health care.

Vancouver is very asian with many hongkies, ex-Sporean, .... So your parents may find it possible to join you there?

As a Canadian citizen you are also allowed to work in the USA.

Thanks for sharing
Will consider too

lifeafter41

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Boss Sam, due to the conscription and life-stress, I dun want my kids to grow up here. I also don't want them, to be enslaved by living expenses, car and housing debts like their dad.

Do you think US, Aust or NZ have suitable cities or townships to send my kids to? Where will you send your child to, if you are in my shoes?

I will probably not leave here so that I can continue to take care of my parents. A US relative offered to adopt my kids so that they can move over to US. Can you give RUN some guidance on other simpler methods for his kids to obtain residency and citizenships in another land?

Sandwich class....... Ah run.
Many in Singapore faced same problem
Many thought that asset enhancement is good for them
Many thought that high hdb price would make them feel rich
Unless you owe 2 or more properties, would you consider to be slightly better
End of the day, it is your children that will be suffering from all these high prices and so call asset enhancement
Just imagine if you have 4 children versus you/wifey.
Unless you have at least, 400k, to loan/give them for their down payment.
25 years of mortgage is the norm. 400k flat is the norm too. As for condo, it will be a cool million.
L41 has a old friend, his children, both more than the income threshold, bought a 1000sq ft for 1.2 million. At 32 years of age, already has mortgage of 800k. His dad help them with the down payment. Unless you are a rich dad, the children will always be stressed.

Perhaps it is a good idea to have them ( the children) live oversea and come back to Singapore to work as FT since the floodgate is wide open.

Sorry for the rant, 7 morning 8 morning......

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset

Just send them to boarding school in a country which you think is a good place for them to grow up in.

GOD IS MY DOG

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
wah............must have monthly income ah................looks like i have to retire in Pitcairn Island liao..............one-way ticket

mojito

Alfrescian
Loyal
my niece returned to s'pore after spending few years in NY, i have another ABC friend who is working as a car salesman in california, he was a smoker, late last year, the company laid down a policy that they will not be insured if they keep on smoking. i think not necessarily grass is greener overseas. it's good to visit but not staying over for good.

Yes singapore is the best. Thanks for telling me.

dancingshoes

Alfrescian
Loyal
sinkieland is not perfect but it is better than some developed countries in a way, if only they can provide free healthcare for all sinkies, that will be perfect.

the only worry about sinkieland is whether the PAP can survive playing regional politics with our muslim neigbours.

Yes singapore is the best. Thanks for telling me.

SgGoneWrong

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
sinkieland is not perfect but it is better than some developed countries in a way, if only they can provide free healthcare for all sinkies, that will be perfect.

the only worry about sinkieland is whether the PAP can survive playing regional politics with our muslim neigbours.

The pap now isn't like the pap before. It does not have the intellect to survive world politics. It survives only on leeching people living in sg.

Reddog

Alfrescian
Loyal

The open alliance of the pap with the IUSA and western countries against Muslim and Islam is the greatest danger to Singapore. Not only are we surrounded by Muslims, we are also wrong to discriminate against our own Malay Muslims. It is a matter of when (and not if) the IS will turn their attention on pap's Singapore. Just hope that your folks and your loved ones are not in the wrong place at the wrong time. Pap should cut all ties with the USA and the Christian West and switch alliance to Malaysia, Indonesia, Thailand, China, Korea and Vietnam. Safer for Singaporeans.

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The open alliance of the pap with the IUSA and western countries against Muslim and Islam is the greatest danger to Singapore. Not only are we surrounded by Muslims, we are also wrong to discriminate against our own Malay Muslims. It is a matter of when (and not if) the IS will turn their attention on pap's Singapore. Just hope that your folks and your loved ones are not in the wrong place at the wrong time. Pap should cut all ties with the USA and the Christian West and switch alliance to Malaysia, Indonesia, Thailand, China, Korea and Vietnam. Safer for Singaporeans.

Care to explain when mudslime mudlays in sinkland have been discriminated against? :rolleyes: