• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Metro to close Sengkang outlet after 12 years

GOD IS MY DOG

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The fittest survives. Business strategy plus willingness to sell everything under one roof is the key to running a successful retail business. Look at Mustafa Centre.

MC sells everything you need to buy, except coffin, and it opens 24/7, no holidays, no shut down. Crowds walk in and out MC as if the goods "no need money buy" kind of business.

Can Metro, JL, Robinsons, Isetan, beat MC? They go belly up because they are still logged in to old business concept.

a lot of Ah Nehs from India shop at Mustafa mah..............also they got the money to have their own building........

bigboss

Alfrescian
Loyal
a lot of Ah Nehs from India shop at Mustafa mah..............also they got the money to have their own building........

Why these ah nehs not shopping at the other retailers?

MC sells everything under one roof, all halal stuffs, Chinese goods, Malay food stuffs, fast foods, restaurant, everything a customer needs. Instead of setting up branches here and there, MC has one inter-linked shopping mall in three different locations but still under one roof.

None of these other retailers able to do what MC is doing. Chinese, local and from PRC and other foreigners, non-ah nehs also shop at MC.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Sad to see Metro dying. Still remember the excitement of shopping at their first store in Coleman Street with my mother and aunties, over 60 years ago. Then, High Street was THE SHOPPING hub..... Robinsons at Raffles Place, the must go place for Xmas shopping and atmosphere... Trishaw ride from Metro to Robinson was so expensive at twenty cents... time really flies.

Yes, the other end of the road, was "talk of the town" at the traffic lights junction, then to a club sandwich with tomato juice at Polar cafe, where in that row, we have Ensign Book Store & that Indian or was it Sri Lankan Jewelry Show "de Silva"?...

High Street was the place, some of shops are still around, the shop that sells baking stuffs, Chong or something is at The Adelphi 2nd floor, Pin Pin Optical is at Funan The It Mall, Dada used to be around on the ground floor, they folded some years ago.

Family used to shop & eat at High Street vicinity..there was a Zee Fatt Tailor , ha ha ha & every Lunar New Year , a new pair of leather shoes from that mama Indian Shop that sells Clarke shoes, Salamander, etc... forgotten the name.

Metro started on High Street...later years, we had Emporium at High Street Centre....then Cortina Departmental Shop....:biggrin:

Rushwind

Alfrescian
Loyal
Remembered Metro in the late 80s! No other department stores come close!

Same for me. Back in the mid-80s, metro was the place where I would go check out clothes with brands like Sahara Club, Reno, Seiji Sugihara, Texwood, Amco, IXIZ. Later when serving NS in the late-80s, I would go Printemps to hunt for book out baju.

blackmondy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The best Metro was the one at Golden Mile in the 70s, the biggest and very well-hidden.

The toys department was simply the best, covering the entire 3rd floor.

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The best Metro was the one at Golden Mile in the 70s, the biggest and very well-hidden.

I went there for Icee....sometimes the bear mascot would be around.
This was the predecessor to slurpy

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
...... Pin Pin Optical is at Funan The It Mall,

I think they have closed the branch at Funan. When I was younger I used to go to an optician opposite Odean Theatre at North Bridge Road which is now the Bras Basah complex. I think it might have been the original Pin Pin store :confused:

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Same for me. Back in the mid-80s, metro was the place where I would go check out clothes with brands like Sahara Club, Reno, Seiji Sugihara, Texwood, Amco, IXIZ. Later when serving NS in the late-80s, I would go Printemps to hunt for book out baju.

During the 70's Metro had a store at Penang Road called Supreme House which is today called Park Mall. Park Mall is not as interesting because all you find there is expensive furniture.

xebay11

Alfrescian
Loyal

30 to 40 years from now, the next generation would be reminiscing about which online site they purchased their things, maybe ebay may be defunct by then.

Alfrescian
Loyal
The fittest survives. Business strategy plus willingness to sell everything under one roof is the key to running a successful retail business. Look at Mustafa Centre.

MC sells everything you need to buy, except coffin, and it opens 24/7, no holidays, no shut down. Crowds walk in and out MC as if the goods "no need money buy" kind of business.

Can Metro, JL, Robinsons, Isetan, beat MC? They go belly up because they are still logged in to old business concept.

Mustafa can survive because it is the one and only store....ask them go to the heartlands and see if they survive....same for Metro, JL, Robinsons, Isetan they started suffering when they went out to the heartlands....isetan may be ok coz they always get the support of the Japanese community and currently operates in the heartlands strategically 1 in the east and 1 in the west