• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Tales from an ex-inmate and a officer

steffychun

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think many would have read the note Amos Yee's lawyer, Alfred Dodwell, wrote to District Judge Jasvender Kaur which amongst other things described his current treatment in Changi Prison as he awaits his Reformative Training (RT) report. Unfortunately the note was widely shared on social media, and the Attorney General's Chambers (AGC) saw fit to deem it subjudice and demanded it be taken down. And so it was, I gather even Mr Dodwell's firm has removed it from the public domain. Since the AGC was only against legal arguments currently before the court being shared publicly, I think we can consider the aspect of the note that does not deal with the present case. It's whether Amos was 'deliberately singled out for torture or unfair treatment' or whether his treatment is routine procedure?

Uphill battle for lawyer Alfred Dodwell, with a client that just refuses to accept sound advice.

I had a chance to speak to a former inmate who himself underwent detention in similar conditions and also a retired police staff sergeant familiar with certain procedures relating to handcuffing of accused persons. Unfortunately I could not get hold of a prison officer, past or present, to shed light on their doctrine on such cases, but hopefully the Prisons Dept will see fit to clarify some of the issues raised, which I think is a matter for the public interest. Anyway before I proceed, let's just refresh ourselves, with what Amos wrote or did that brought him to this stage. He refused to meet or consider probation, ignored directions from the Court and judge and the prosecution duly recommended that he be sent for RT. As such he has to spend 3 weeks in Changi Prison, for prison officers to determine if he's suitable for RT. In addition to that, Amos himself said on Facebook that he's been encouraged by his 'fans' to stick to his guns and defy the Court and even hinted on being a martyr - writing that if anything happens to him, 'the blood will on the hands of his oppressors.' He also said he has 'iron balls.' So this was the attitude and train of thought he had before he began this latest sojourn at Changi.

Banana boy with the iron balls? Sorry that isn't enough, if you wanna be stubborn, you need an iron body literally to survive prison.

And so to my Q and A with firstly the ex-inmate. He's EI and myself AH. I've tried not to amend or correct the grammar mistakes as best as possible, to keep it in his own words.

AH. Let me begin by asking you whether you had been in Changi Prison before?:

EI: Yes, but that was at the old Changi Prison, not the current one. However I was 'warded' in the 'sick and psychiatric bay' at Queenstown Remand Prison. (QRP)

AH: Any difference between the 2?

EI: Not much, they are basically the same, but Changi being the main prison has a separate psychiatric wing as well as a sick bay. In QRP they combined the 2. Changi also has better medical facilities and the psychiatrists come there, just like many doctors from hospitals. In QRP there's only 1 or 2 doctors to attend to basic medical needs. If something is urgent, the inmate is sent to a public hospital (including IMH) or to the medical facility at Changi Prison.

AH: So why were you in the sick and psychiatric bay? Do you suffer from any mental illness?

EI: No lah. I was warded there because I was 'sakit.'

AH: 'Sakit?' You mean you were ill like having a fever?

EI: Haha no lah. 'Sakit' is prison slang for the nausea and cravings drug addicts get when they don't have access to their drugs. The more hardcore addict you are, the more 'sakit' you will be.

AH: So you were a heavy drug user? But does that affect your mind like say a mental illness or develop suicidal thoughts like this boy said he has?

EI: Yes, very much so. Now maybe you understand why drug addicts will do anything to get their 'fix.' The 'sakit' is very overwhelming and you can go crazy and do dangerous things like harming yourself or others. You even will think of killing yourself sometimes. And yes, I underwent all of these symptoms.

AH: So what does the prison do to people like you who become 'sakit?'

EI: Because we are a danger, we have to be restrained. In Changi you will be sent to the psychiatric wing, in QRP to the sick bay.

AH: What happens next? Amos said he was handcuffed to a metal hospital bed without mattress, did you face this too?

EI: Yes, exactly the same. 1 hand handcuffed to the bed. You can put a mat over it and use your blankets as a pillow. But we drug addicts will shiver, so we use the blankets to cover ourselves.

AH: But why no mattress? Isn't that kinda cruel? And are you handcuffed 23 hours a day like he said?

EI: Alamak you ah, of course no mattress lah, this is prison what, not a hotel. And yes handcuffed 23 hours a day. Only released under supervision of the officers in the morning to shower or do your business, or maybe when time to makan. The rest of the time you are given a bowl, large bottle or potty if you want to your 'business.' But seriously no mattress better.

AH: I see, but why no mattress better? Surely the hard cold metal frame is not comfortable?

EI: Even if got mattress I don't want. Can you imagine how many people have used it before? You want to sleep on the same one? Metal frame is quite cooling, I didn't enjoy because of my 'sakit' I was feeling cold already. but remember prison got no air-con, always very hot and stuffy. A metal bed is quite cooling and in the sick bay there's a fan.

AH: Oh ok, maybe you have a point there. And 24 hours lights on? Why?

EI: Inside prison lights on 24 hours is not uncommon. Those under 'special watch' like murderers, CL (Criminal law) detainees or suicidal tendencies need to be watched constantly, so the lights must be on. Because if you off the lights, the CCTV cannot capture what you are doing. And as I said, I did have suicidal tendencies, so the lights must be on to make sure I didn't go through with it.

AH: Ah I see. So what's happening to Amos is not done on purpose, but very common or the procedure inside prison?

EI: Yes, it's the same everywhere, in Changi or the other prisons too. If you are under a 'special watch' in a sick bay or psychiatric wing, you will be handcuffed to the bed 23 hours a day and with the lights on throughout.

AH: But cruel right being handcuffed like that? How long do they keep you like this? I hope not forever!

EI: Of course you ask me, I will say cruel because I went through this, but if you ask me logically, what other alternative does the prison have? If don't handcuff, what happens if I kill myself, attack others, or if others come and attack me? We have to be restrained in some way right. for our safety? But they don't keep this forever, at the most a few weeks. For us drug addicts, until our 'sakit' is over or when we are assessed to no longer have suicidal thoughts or pose a danger. I think I was under this for around 11 days.

AH: Ok before I end, I want to ask your opinion. I told you a bit about this boy, he has a tendency to lie, exaggerate or even thinks he's smart enough to manipulate others, in the hope he'll get his way. Do you think he did the right thing to say he has suicidal thoughts, if say he had none, but wanted to milk this?

EI: Ok first if really got suicidal thoughts, then of course should bring up. You can be monitored and definitely will see the psychiatrist. Plus you'll also be given medication. In the sick bay and psychiatric wing, you'll be given medicine according to your condition, maybe even anti-depressants. But if he 'keng' (bluff), then he really very stupid.

AH: Go on.

EI: First you 'kena' this kind of treatment, the same for everyone like this, 23 hours a day handcuffed. Must urinate in a bottle, wanna 'shit' must tahan until morning or use the potty. Then lights on 24 hours. Plus you will be with others who are either 'crazy' or going to be like those 'sakit' - people will shout and groan etc. If you never 'keng' you will be in a normal cell with your regular cell-mates, a bit more freedom of movement and of course can sleep with the lights off. You see the prison cannot give you '1 person' special treatment or attention unless it's really very serious. You're not the only 1 who will have suicidal thoughts. So no point trying to 'keng,' the prison officers have seen maybe thousands of prisoners like you, they know who's real or trying to 'keng.' But at the end of the day, they have their procedure, which no matter what they will follow. So long as they don't touch you, stop others from touching you, feed you and give you the very minimum basic rights, and prevent you from harming yourself, they don't really care or have the time to entertain your tricks. I think the ratio is maybe 1 officer to say 50-60 prisoners. So they can't be in front of you to monitor you, they put CCTVs and get a number of officers to keep watch. An officer will be nearby to intervene if you shout for help or if the CCTV picks up something. So if this boy tried to 'keng,' he's very stupid.

And if he never 'keng' but really true, then he also must blame himself, why never take probation? He think prison is 'a holiday camp' or what? He think officers will listen to him and pity him? At the end of the day, if once you kena sentence, no matter what you must serve that sentence, everyone has to, like it or not, suicide thoughts or not. And RTC is no joke. Very 'jialat' (tough and terrible), discipline is very strict worse than normal prison. All he can do to help himself is to go for psychiatric appointments and follow the treatment to make his life a little more easy to bear. You want to be a problem child, it's you who will suffer. Not the prison officers. Their job is 1st to make sure you stay inside and then try to make you change. If you don't want to, it's your problem, you give them problems and you'll be punished. The more you cooperate and follow the rules or do what everyone else does, the more bearable it is. RTC is 2 years, he can do it the easy way or hard way. But I think from what you told me, he wants the hard way, so he'll just have to bear with it, it's his choice. 17 years maybe still a boy, but the law treats you like an adult or young prisoner (YP) and so you'll have to be with other YPs. Why ah, he never take probation? 1st time I see someone so stupid, and you say people say he's a genius? His brains are full of shit, that's what I think.

AH: Yup, he thinks he's very famous and got many 'fans' and supporters. His supporters encouraged him, so he decided to 'heck care' the Law and judge. He says he got 'iron balls' and if anything happen to him, blood will on their hands.

EI: **** (expletive) lah. People ask you to do, you do? How stupid is that? Ask them to ask their sons to go and do the same la, see they want or not? Iron 'lumpar chee'? You think the prison really care what you got? Once sentenced, only appeal can bring you out. No matter what, you have to follow the rules, if not you get punished. You try to 'keng' you will get restrained. You got suicide thoughts, then why you want to go in? Of course if you really suicide, there'll be inquiry, but there have been such cases, and what has happened? People forget eventually, the prison officers will still be in their jobs, maybe if they never follow procedure, they also kena, but if they followed the procedure and you really somehow killed yourself, you think they will be bothered? People will shout and cry but eventually you'll be forgotten because some other 'hero' will grab the headlines. Somebody must make this boy wake up, maybe RTC is the only way. Very sad case this. I still can't believe he refused probation. Even seasoned jail birds will do anything to get something lighter, and no one will challenge the Law or judge.

AH: Oh well, we'll just have to wait and see. Let's hope he opens his eyes. Thanks for sharing.

EI: No problem.

Spartan and strict - that's how Singapore prisons are run. And that's why many criminals try their best not to go back inside, unlike Amos Yee who thinks the whole system will change to cater for his needs and demands. Inhumane to us ordinary folks who want the luxuries and comfort of life, but torture it's not. It's the bare minimum designed to keep people out, not wanna come in.

And so that's the interview with the ex-inmate. I also asked a retired police S/SGT about this handcuffing, whether it's acceptable or compliant with our Laws.

AH: S/Sgt I wanna ask you about this prolonged handcuffing of the prisoner, is this normal?

S/Sgt: Yes, very normal and part of procedure. For the police, sometimes we have accused who have to be warded in hospital while under custody. They will definitely be handcuffed to the bed, with 1 hand like this case. Unless of course the doctor deems it medically dangerous vis-à-vis his condition.

AH: What about urinating and defecating? The same too?

S/Sgt: Yes, depending on his condition, the location of the toilet etc. If in a ward in a public hospital, we may bring him to the toilet if it's within walking distance and he's allowed to walk by the doctor. But he must do in our presence and we'll handcuff 1 hand to a pole or beam in the toilet too. If not, it's in a canister, bottle or potty. If he's warded in the psychiatric ward in IMH, he may also be handcuffed to the bed, if he's deemed a danger to himself, the officers, other patients and the medical staff. But since that wing is gated like a prison, he may not be handcuffed in a secure environment, if he poses no danger. But I tell you for suicidal thoughts, 100% he will be handcuffed.

AH: What about padded cells? Don't they have that in prison?

S/Sgt: That I'm not sure, but police stations have padded cells for violent, dangerous or accused with psychiatric or suicidal thoughts. But it's used as a last resort.

AH: Why so?

S/Sgt: Padded cells are very uncomfortable. The air flow is heavily restricted and people with medical conditions are usually not placed in there as they may suffer breathing difficulties. Moreover few prisoners want to be placed in 1, because of the heat and humidity. But from my understanding, prisons are also unlikely to use padded cells (if they have), again only for the worst of the worst - violent and dangerous accused who cannot be allowed to interact with others. But you must remember, police stations, we don't have many accused and even fewer with these conditions. In prison, you may have a lot of them, and you can't go placing several of them in 1 padded cell. Just imagine the air intake and flow? An open cell or dormitory with some medical facilities nearby is the more logical choice.

AH: Ok thanks. Final question: What do you make of the alleged inhumane conditions that Amos is supposed to be put through, is it correct procedure or is this torture in your opinion?

S/Sgt: Honestly I don't see any form of torture here. He's not been singled out, everyone with a similar condition goes through this. Lights on 24/7 is not torture, it's the same inside police lock-ups, we never off the lights. And you'll get used to it and sleep eventually, when you're tired or sleepy. We have to monitor the accused and you can't do it with the lights off, that's logical. The Law here and that's what matters, doesn't say we cannot restraint an accused in custody. If he's a danger to whoever even himself, it's our duty to ensure that that danger is overcome. So having to handcuff a prisoner cannot be deemed torture if he wants to cause harm or end his life. He has access to medical practitioners even psychiatrists and we take orders from them in regards to his safety and well being. If they deem handcuffing or restraining him, improper, we will remove the restraints. He has a right to raise it with them, he definitely will have access to them. We also will explain why we are restraining them, it'll be on record. In fact I can say for a fact for both the Police and Prison Depts, that we very much want to know how quickly we can remove the restraints.

AH: Why is that so?

S/Sgt: The more time or more persons we have to restraint is more time having to monitor them. It's a strain on resources. It's always better to place them with everyone else and we can then monitor a larger group rather than just a few individuals. So we'll always ask the doctor how soon can the patient be discharged (if in hospital), or whether it's safe for him to be placed with normal prisoners. I'm sure the prison officers also have this same mind-set. And finally I don't see how this can be torture, even in the West in prisons or psychiatric wings, they restraint their prisoners, some with strait jackets even. I think handcuffing 1 hand, while uncomfortable and having to use a potty or bottle not very nice, doesn't subject you to inhumane treatment, given that you're in prison because a court of law ordered you to be there. We don't detain anyone without authorisation from a court or by Law.

AH: Thank you sir for your insights.

S/Sgt: You're welcome. You can't blame the prison for following procedure. If anyone disagrees with the procedure by all means raise it with the prison authority or through various means like NGOs, but of course, you must come out with a better alternative. No point in saying this is inhumane and unfair, what's your alternative suggestions? - Something workable, safe and doesn't cost a lot of taxpayer's monies. Spartan doesn't mean inhumane, remember that.

Conclusion

And so there you have it, from 2 sides - an ex-inmate and a former cop. It'll be better if the Prison Dept can explain more thoroughly the conditions of inmates like Amos are subjected to and why so. But after hearing what the inmate said, it's kinda true, how do you prevent someone whose mind suddenly thinks suicide, without restraining him? How do you keep crazy people away? And as the Sgt said, it's standard procedure - something in operation for years. No one has come out to complain or suggest something better, bearing in mind the factors of safety, security and costs including manpower. There are avenues to raise this via MPs, forums, NGOs and even the Home Ministry, including the prison dept themselves. So rather than come say - 'Oh it's so inhumane, it's terrible, it's torture,' why not raise it in the avenues available?

On the outside, he can revel in the media attention and try his 'manipulative skills.' Inside prison, he's no star and has to follow the rules meant for everyone, no ifs and buts and certainly no fun. It's prison, not a holiday camp, he seems to have forgotten that.

And of course don't forget, it's Amos who defiantly asked for this. He had a chance to see a psychiatrist while the court case was on-going, he didn't want to (his mother thinks he has Asperger's). He even boasted that psychiatrists and psychologists who want to examine him should pay him $10,000 for 'the honour' of him sharing his thoughts.' He claims he has iron balls and wants to be a martyr (now who else also said he wanted to be a martyr?). It's clear he's being egged on and foolishly decides to proceed. Finally don't forget how he boasts of lying, fooling people and manipulating others to get his way. Who's to say, this is not another 1 of his 'manipulative tricks?' I'm inclined to believe it is. He thought he's very smart and could get the whole legal and penal system to cave in to him, just like how his mother does each and every time. But this time, it backfired on him big time, and will continue to backfire, until he wakes up to the reality - that in prison or RTC, you have to serve the sentence imposed and follow the rules, no ifs and buts, no 2 ways about it. It's you and you alone who must trod the path you have stubbornly chosen to pursue. He doesn't believe in God, but by golly, the only way out now is a miracle, and 'that bus' appears to have departed long ago. So my view is deliberate torture no, just the routine procedure for psychotic patients or those who pretend to be so. He has access to doctors and psychiatrists, it's up to him to convince them he's really needs to be given special privileges.

http://anyhowhantam.blogspot.sg/2015/06/amos-yees-treatment-at-changi-prison.html

Whack away Yee lovers!!!

garytan1982

Alfrescian
Loyal
His case sure have Special...Prisons everywhere are about the same...
I mean,he create photo of lky n thatcher sex act?
they make him pose in newspaper eating a banana..?
I mean,u need to ask?
i am considered a POW in SG.u all dun ask so much better...

UltimaOnline

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to steffychun again.

Boss Sam!!! Please lah, change the Rep system to be more lenient can?!?

Tuayapeh

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Nonsense !! My friend was sentence to prison and he pretends to be crazy and got sentence to IMH . Life inside IMH are a lot better then prison sick bay . And also nowadays Sakit or no Sakit you will be mix with the rest of the prisoner . The male nurse ( ba ba ) will not entertain you .

Tuayapeh

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Inside prison also have many people pretend to be crazy , can ask for " pills " :wink:

Last edited:

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to steffychun again.

Boss Sam!!! Please lah, change the Rep system to be more lenient can?!?

Shim is always begging for points. Thanks to Boss Sam deduction of powers earned by PAP detractors (Froggy lost tons of those powers, I lost 5 power) and keeping those of PAP supporters intact (like Steffy), shim doesn't beg from me anymore.

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
PAP Spin again.

Why doesn't the PAP end this by killing Amos? Why go through all the pretence? PAP doesn't kill him now, Amos is going to be a menace during NS and later on, may even lead an insurgency against the PAP.

Amos Yee could be the Che Guevara of sinkaproe.

rushifa666

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sissy pinkie like old fart, scared of his own shadow, scared of gorilla wife. After amos was Assasin 19 yr old who want to kill,him without weapon. Presumably with voodoo lah. CCB sissy better relapse quick and not give police extra job to do.

garytan1982

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sissy pinkie like old fart, scared of his own shadow, scared of gorilla wife. After amos was Assasin 19 yr old who want to kill,him without weapon. Presumably with voodoo lah. CCB sissy better relapse quick and not give police extra job to do.

You all must not worry...
I have rcv my Order from G-7...
Next week MPS i give him a choice of Dumplings,A Bottle of Red Wine,A Bamboo Pole,A Kitchen Chopper and A Straw Hat...

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
steffychua, y ou are sucking Amos Yee's dick again.. you love his dick so much.. Care for some donation? check out my signature.

soIsee

Alfrescian
Loyal
Really, going to prison for fucking the government.

Only Sinkie are THAT fucktard and daft that would except such shit and agree to accept such shit even if asked every 5 years whether they will continue to accept such shit.

And how many shits have I used in the above sentence? LoL