• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

JB charging RM20 for foreign car visiting ? Is it confirm ?

snowbird

Alfrescian
Loyal
And then we are just back to the point about blindly implementing the rules regardless of the specifics of each case, the point that you repeatedly missed but think you didn't.

And if large numbers of Singaporeans really do take a large proportion of incomes and spend overseas, it's their prerogative, isn't it? And if there are no Causeway jams woes I am pretty sure that you may well be one of the large numbers of Singaporeans doing just that.:rolleyes: And that has nothing to do with GST rebates anyway. And even more this has nothing to do with me being myopic than with you recognising that not everyone is as well off as you. People make adjustments in order to save on expenses and stretch their spending, and you are unhappy with that? And that is somehow unpatriotic because SG economy will be doomed? So long as people are legitimately bringing their spending to JB, what justification is there for you to accuse them of being myopic and self-centred? Not forgetting that people can spend a huge chunk of money overseas without even leaving the comforts of their bedroom with convenience of internet shopping. Do you call them myopic and self-centred? Or do you only reserve such words for people who chose to make JB their home, whether temporary of long term?
BTW, your comparing people spending their money overseas with that of smoking in an enclosed room is really absurd so there's really nothing to see, except the absurd nature of the comparison.
You must be just another literal person.
One person smoking in an enclosed room, the effect is minimal.
A hundred people smoking in the same room, can you imagine the effect?
One person doing compare to many doing the same thing at the same time and its effect!!!
I was trying to use a very simple comparison to illustrate my point that even primary school kids understand and you don't.

Lastly, if the amount/percentage of spending is not even relevant, then I don't see why you are even bringing it up. My earlier point was to refute the nonsensical idea that my entire income earned in SG is spent in Malaysia (my meals and other expenses in SG must be free or sponsored by someone's giving then:rolleyes:), and that I had contributed nothing to SG economy at all. A Bangladeshi worker can be constructing buildings in SG but remit all his money back to his own country. Are you saying that he did not contribute to SG at all? Must spend money in SG then considered contributing to SG? Your definition of "contributing" is truly myopic.

Rules implemented are meant to broadly applied to a certain spectrum of people and if you fall within this spectrum, well then it shall be applied to you.
Sometimes some people may find themselves disadvantaged because of being at borderline or due to certain conditions.
For example, rules which do not allow people earning below say, $30K p/a to apply for credit card and you happen to be earning $28K and got rejected.
Or you're supposed to pay by the last day of the month and you're late by 2 days and got fined.
Those people affected will bitch non stop like you about stupid rules "blindly implementing regardless of the specifics of each case".
So, it is up to you to approach the appropriate authorities to hear your appeal.

By simply saying that you work in SG, you're contributing to her economy, they all the 300,000 Malaysians coming to work in SG everyday are also doing the same and they are not even Singaporeans.

Or the thousands of Pinoy nurses willing to do the job that Singaporeans shun because without them, the hospitals may not even function properly.
Or the tens of thousands of Chinamen working in the construction sites, factories and restaurants because without them, all the businesses will have to close shop.
And yes, all these people will take or send their earnings back to their respective countries and including you, are all not contributing to the economy.
However, don't forget, all those 300,000 Malaysians, the Pinoy nurses and all other foreign workers plus yourself were paid for your service.
On the other hand, all of you can choose not to work in SG.

Lastly, let me tell you a little something about economy which I think you know very little what its all about.
The economy encompasses all activity related to production, consumption and trade of goods and services in the country, so there are many aspects to it.
It applies to everyone from individuals to companies, corporations and also the governments.
Consumption is an important aspect of the economy and many countries like the US, because of low spending by individuals, it is affecting the economy.
Some countries are actually giving money to the people to spend in order to boost the economy.
By taking your earnings out of the country, broadly speaking, your consumption activities in the country is extremely limited and if many Singaporeans are doing the same, the economy will be drastically affected.
As such, even if you and my cousins are Singaporeans, you all don't deserve the GST rebates.

ECboy

Alfrescian
Loyal
Well refuted Frodo,

Actually i really wish Singaporeans DUN flock into JB at all. Be it weekends, school holidays, public holidays or long term stay(retire).
Coz they really bump up the cost of living there… I actually do love all these Nay-Sayers here as they can help to keep out the herd?

LOLOL
:cool:

Ya seriously, all the coffee joints damn ex now and my fav foods have gone up too

enjoylife77

Alfrescian
Loyal
I believed the persistent weakness of the RM$ will ensure high demand for products & services n JB throughout this festive season and beyond.
Well refuted Frodo,

Actually i really wish Singaporeans DUN flock into JB at all. Be it weekends, school holidays, public holidays or long term stay(retire).
Coz they really bump up the cost of living there… I actually do love all these Nay-Sayers here as they can help to keep out the herd?

LOLOL
:cool:

snowbird

Alfrescian
Loyal
Ya seriously, all the coffee joints damn ex now and my fav foods have gone up too

The GST collection in 2016 was much lower than expected, just RM30 billion instead of the projected RM39 billion.
The govt. had promised not to increase the GST rates, but is slowly removing its subsidies for various common products to make up the shortfall.
Subsidies already removed for petrol, sugar and recently, cooking oil and soon perhaps, LPG for cooking too.
Slowly and steadily, prices for everything in JB will just rise higher and higher.
So, with the newly introduced Road Charge plus all the tolls and coming VEP, savings from shopping in JB will become lesser and lesser while crowds in shopping centres will become smaller and smaller.

mpan12

Alfrescian
Loyal
The GST collection in 2016 was much lower than expected, just RM30 billion instead of the projected RM39 billion.
The govt. had promised not to increase the GST rates, but is slowly removing its subsidies for various common products to make up the shortfall.
Subsidies already removed for petrol, sugar and recently, cooking oil and soon perhaps, LPG for cooking too.
Slowly and steadily, prices for everything in JB will just rise higher and higher.
So, with the newly introduced Road Charge plus all the tolls and coming VEP, savings from shopping in JB will become lesser and lesser while crowds in shopping centres will become smaller and smaller.

But where will all the Johor locals go to then to buy their stuffs?

Maybe that's why some Singaporeans are saying better buy a property or two now while they are still affordable. Years later, all property prices in Johor will go up also.

congo9

Alfrescian
Loyal
But where will all the Johor locals go to then to buy their stuffs?

Maybe that's why some Singaporeans are saying better buy a property or two now while they are still affordable. Years later, all property prices in Johor will go up also.

The local will go their Mydin and Kipamart to buy their stuff. Johore Chinese will go AEON BIG and Giant to buy up their stuff. The Malays will Mydin and Kipmart and Tesco to buy.

snowbird

Alfrescian
Loyal
But we need it to be empty the whole time!:p

No such luck during peak hours for those 300,000 plus some Singaporeans coming in SG and returning after work.
Traffic is already building up now from SG.
But is definitely bad news for all the JB businesses.

congo9

Alfrescian
Loyal
The Causeway is empty of traffic this whole afternoon!

Good, i need to bring my family and kids in to enjoy their Korean BBQ and Japanese food. It does do wonder. I welcome him. If you are willing to pay, you get a better quality of living. That's very pragmatic and true.

I standby the values of PAP.

Investor888

Alfrescian
Loyal
That's very true. I admire the Malaysia minister guts to filter out the poor Singaporeans who got no spending power. They should stay in Singapore and get squeezed by PAP as usual

Good, i need to bring my family and kids in to enjoy their Korean BBQ and Japanese food. It does do wonder. I welcome him. If you are willing to pay, you get a better quality of living. That's very pragmatic and true.

I standby the values of PAP.

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
That's very true. I admire the Malaysia minister guts to filter out the poor Singaporeans who got no spending power. They should stay in Singapore and get squeezed by PAP as usual

I guess I am lucky to have been able to bypass the MY filter as a poor Singaporean.:p

rotikok

Alfrescian
Loyal
No more meaningful savings for day tripper.[/QUOTE

Even though Federal is broke, they shouldn't make such dumb method to collect quick revenue.
Average 10,000 SG cars daily, they may collect RM200,000 or RM6 million per month its seems
However, its truly a penny wise pound foolish decision.
Once the implementation starts, the 10,000 cars maybe be reduced significantly, shoppers will be reduced and the economy of JB will be adversely affected.
In turn, they will lose the GST collections from the SG shoppers and diners, shops will be doing slower businesses and some may even closed down.
Based on one dinner receipt for small family of say, RM200, GST @ RM12, plus other shopping...............so if this family decided not to come over to JB, they lose all the road toll and VEP plus the GST collection from their shopping and dining.

Over exaggerated the impact, i do not see such possibility because i knew singaporean well...esp those capable to own a car in singapore.... how to describe them? In short, kiasu lor.
Firstly many of them come to jb on less frequent basis...maybe 1 weekly or biweekly. 2ndly, sgd 6 is peanut to them. And this is the kiasu part...thirdly they will spend more in order to worth back the sgd 6.

Regarding your "reduced significantly" comment.... this is the latest report

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news...tering-johor-despite-road-charge/3290184.html
No decrease in Singapore cars entering Johor despite road charge: Malaysian deputy minister
KUALA LUMPUR: The number of Singapore vehicles entering Malaysia has not decreased despite the implementation of the road charge (RC) on Nov 1, according to the country’s deputy transport minister.

Ab Aziz Kaprawi said in parliament on Tuesday (Nov 15) that this was because consumers, especially Singaporean tourists, could still enjoy diverse tourism attractions and quality food in Johor cheaply in spite of the RM20 (S$6.60) charge.

Ab Aziz also said the government expects to collect as much as RM144 million a year in revenue from the charge, based on the projected 20,000 foreign-registered private vehicles entering Malaysia every day.

He added that besides the RC collection system, the record system for Vehicle Entry Permit (VEP) would also be implemented early next year.

Ab Aziz said the RC and the VEP would help monitor the foreign vehicles entering and leaving the country.

- Bernama/am

snowbird

Alfrescian
Loyal
Over exaggerated the impact, i do not see such possibility because i knew singaporean well...esp those capable to own a car in singapore.... how to describe them? In short, kiasu lor.
Firstly many of them come to jb on less frequent basis...maybe 1 weekly or biweekly. 2ndly, sgd 6 is peanut to them. And this is the kiasu part...thirdly they will spend more in order to worth back the sgd 6.

Regarding your "reduced significantly" comment.... this is the latest report

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news...tering-johor-despite-road-charge/3290184.html
No decrease in Singapore cars entering Johor despite road charge: Malaysian deputy minister
KUALA LUMPUR: The number of Singapore vehicles entering Malaysia has not decreased despite the implementation of the road charge (RC) on Nov 1, according to the country’s deputy transport minister.

Ab Aziz Kaprawi said in parliament on Tuesday (Nov 15) that this was because consumers, especially Singaporean tourists, could still enjoy diverse tourism attractions and quality food in Johor cheaply in spite of the RM20 (S$6.60) charge.

Ab Aziz also said the government expects to collect as much as RM144 million a year in revenue from the charge, based on the projected 20,000 foreign-registered private vehicles entering Malaysia every day.

He added that besides the RC collection system, the record system for Vehicle Entry Permit (VEP) would also be implemented early next year.

Ab Aziz said the RC and the VEP would help monitor the foreign vehicles entering and leaving the country.

- Bernama/am

When I said dumb ministers I was quite wrong, they are actually super duper dumb.

"No decrease in Singapore cars entering Johor despite road charge: Malaysian deputy minister"

Yes, there is no decrease in SG cars leaving and entering JB DURING PEAK HOURS.
Just wondering if they know who are driving those SG plate cares and why are they still to willing to pay the extra RC.
And I wonder if the same minister actually took a look at the Causeway during the off peak hours when it was totally traffic free even on a Sunday!
The recently introduced RC do not recognize the nationality of the cars entering because its a Road Charge so his fellow Malaysians driving back from SG in a MY plate car after work are also paying the same!!
This shows they know nothing on the ground and talking with limited and incomplete statistics.
However, even when they actually introduce the VEP, all SG plate cars entering may not be visitors but Malaysians or SPRs coming back from work!

winners

Alfrescian
Loyal
Actually cannot really say they are dumb. With the anticipated 20,000 foreign vehicles coming in to JB daily, they can collect a whopping RM400,000/day and that is very substantial. They don't need to bother who are the people actually paying.

There is also a RM3.60 charge for vehicles coming in to Bukit Kayu Hitam at the Thai border, applicable to Malaysian vehicles as well.

Last edited:

snowbird

Alfrescian
Loyal
Actually cannot really say they are dumb. With the anticipated 20,000 foreign vehicles coming in to JB daily, they can collect a whopping RM400,000/day and that is very substantial. They don't need to bother who are the people actually paying.

There is also a RM3.60 charge for vehicles coming in to Bukit Kayu Hitam at the Thai border, applicable to Malaysian vehicles as well.

But the point is those super duper dumb minister were so happy and rejoicing that they are collecting millions from foreign cars in which they are trying to say foreigners are paying.
But the fact is a large portion of that collection were actually from Malaysians and SPRs driving in and out of JB which they cannot avoid not paying.
My friend's company several salespeople and another's subcontractors, all Malaysians, are already cursing and swearing at their stupid govt.

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
When I said dumb ministers I was quite wrong, they are actually super duper dumb.

"No decrease in Singapore cars entering Johor despite road charge: Malaysian deputy minister"

Yes, there is no decrease in SG cars leaving and entering JB DURING PEAK HOURS.
Just wondering if they know who are driving those SG plate cares and why are they still to willing to pay the extra RC.
And I wonder if the same minister actually took a look at the Causeway during the off peak hours when it was totally traffic free even on a Sunday!
The recently introduced RC do not recognize the nationality of the cars entering because its a Road Charge so his fellow Malaysians driving back from SG in a MY plate car after work are also paying the same!!
This shows they know nothing on the ground and talking with limited and incomplete statistics.
However, even when they actually introduce the VEP, all SG plate cars entering may not be visitors but Malaysians or SPRs coming back from work!

The RC is for foreign vehicles so MY registered cars are not affected. So looks like MY minister not so dumb as you make him out to be.

snowbird

Alfrescian
Loyal
The RC is for foreign vehicles so MY registered cars are not affected. So looks like MY minister not so dumb as you make him out to be.

I was driving alongside another MY car and saw him tapping the same "Touch N Go"........same deduction because that device cannot differentiate foreign/local cars, it is actually an increased toll charge!
But my point is still, many SG plate cars are actually driven by Malaysians or SPRs, hence the cursing and swearing I mentioned earlier.