• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

JB charging RM20 for foreign car visiting ? Is it confirm ?

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sometimes, I don't understand what's on the minds of the Johor authorities or how the Malaysian system works.

If I were a minister in Malaysia, I want to quickly boost my country to 1st world status. Or in the case of Johor, I know Singapore is a prosperous nation despite its smaller size. I know the SGD is almost 3x stronger than RM. I want to tap on its people coming over to Johor to shop and even live there.

Obviously, I want to make it as convenient as possible for Singaporeans to go into Johor.

So what must I do? I have to improve the transport system. Singapore has already announced an MRT station that can be connected to Johor. I want to quickly set up my own RTS to link them asap. But instead, what do we have? Delays after delays. There isn't even any firm plans to build the RTS yet. All we hear is yes yes, RTS is coming. But what's stopping it?

In addition, I want to make it cheap for Singapore cars to drive over. Singapore never charges cars from Malaysia any extra unless Johor implements it. But no.... they have to introduce this VEP thingy that costs RM20! Seriously, what are they thinking? They are making it less attractive for Singapore visitors to drive to Johor!

Next, I want to give Singaporeans (and other foreigners) benefits for staying in Johor. Let them own properties but let's not make their lives difficult. But no again... they got to impose a RM1mil limit to sell their properties to other foreigners. With such a measure to penalise foreign owners unfairly, who now dares or wants to buy Johor properties? They can always tighten bank loans to restrict speculative buying. So why introduce the RM1mil restriction that locks up foreign buyers' money indefinitely?

Anyone feels the same as me on the above?

I wonder if it has anything to do with not having a "clean" govt like Singapore?

Tekkun

Alfrescian
Loyal
I wonder if it has anything to do with not having a "clean" govt like Singapore?
If you are a Malaysian, there is something called "wayang". Not easy to understand in Malaysian culture but if you dig deep enough, you will understand what I mean.The Malaysian government know how to play this "wayang" and so does Singapore Government. It is a matter of who blink first.By the way, I like this. http://www.nextsingapo.com/archives/2879

xebay11

Alfrescian
Loyal
If one has no where to go, one will still come over even though complaints there will be.The other alternative is Batam. Choice is always there. Someone got to pay for the road maintenance, the rubbish disposals, the car parks, the whatever. As for economy, who cares for macros these days. The local authorities have to look after their own annual budgets and expenditure. Allocations does not drop from the sky. Free rides are over.

Obviously you and the malaysian government have no business sense, if you adopt a direct cost approach you will deter customers, better to adopt a free entry approach and allow the buyers in to boost overall economy. Many shopping centres in johor especially those further from town always give free parking to draw customers, you and Najib should learn.Tsk tsk....you have flawed logic again.

Tekkun

Alfrescian
Loyal
Obviously you and the malaysian government have no business sense, if you adopt a direct cost approach you will deter customers, better to adopt a free entry approach and allow the buyers in to boost overall economy. Many shopping centres in johor especially those further from town always give free parking to draw customers, you and Najib should learn.Tsk tsk....you have flawed logic again.
No need to wait so long. Just wait another 2 months after implementation and then you come back to tell me that Johore no more shoppers from Spore. Anyway, free parking and free VEP is totally different. One is for the Government, the other is for the shopping complex owners. One is macro, the other is micro.

xebay11

Alfrescian
Loyal
No need to wait so long. Just wait another 2 months after implementation and then you come back to tell me that Johore no more shoppers from Spore. Anyway, free parking and free VEP is totally different. One is for the Government, the other is for the shopping complex owners. One is macro, the other is micro.

Same principles apply. Take johor as a big shopping centre and vep as parking charges. Anyway the true sinkies are paupers, already no money, have to shop and buy properties in johor, they are the most price sensitive group of people, this rm20 will have long term effects.

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
Same principles apply. Take johor as a big shopping centre and vep as parking charges. Anyway the true sinkies are paupers, already no money, have to shop and buy properties in johor, they are the most price sensitive group of people, this rm20 will have long term effects.

I have to admit that I am a true Sinkie! :biggrin: Pauper and peasant, no money to upgrade to bigger HDB, have to buy house in JB. Very orice sensitive indeed! Cannot tahan eating at Food Republic or Kopitiam because the economical rice stalls are anything but economic, maybe the only good thing is that VEP will have no effect on me at all, because of the COE effect my SG car had to be scrapped.

xebay11

Alfrescian
Loyal
I have to admit that I am a true Sinkie! :biggrin: Pauper and peasant, no money to upgrade to bigger HDB, have to buy house in JB. Very orice sensitive indeed! Cannot tahan eating at Food Republic or Kopitiam because the economical rice stalls are anything but economic, maybe the only good thing is that VEP will have no effect on me at all, because of the COE effect my SG car had to be scrapped.

Yes and if you were affected by the rm20 vep plus tolls would you really want to come to johor as often as you like?

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes and if you were affected by the rm20 vep plus tolls would you really want to come to johor as often as you like?

Question not really applicable to me since my whole family already in JB. But assuming still living in SG, I don't think the VEP will have much effect on me, because the VEP ($8) is also easily matched or less than the high parking charges in Orchard Road or other shopping malls in SG. In my opinion, the VEP has to really be high to have any significant deterrent effect. If charge at least RM50 I believe will see some drastic reduction in jams.

xebay11

Alfrescian
Loyal
Question not really applicable to me since my whole family already in JB. But assuming still living in SG, I don't think the VEP will have much effect on me, because the VEP ($8) is also easily matched or less than the high parking charges in Orchard Road or other shopping malls in SG. In my opinion, the VEP has to really be high to have any significant deterrent effect. If charge at least RM50 I believe will see some drastic reduction in jams.

Many people avoid orchard road these days, imm is super super crowded on weekends because first two hours free, and any other per entry parking places malls will have super long ques, and now with the rm20 vep, total round trip to Johor is sgd20, a hefty price for many struggling sinkies, even me, i would cut down my trips siginificantly and rather spend in singapore as i dont usually spend sgd20 on parking every weekend, even in singapore.

potter

Alfrescian
Loyal
told u liao lor, if both ends don't make the tolls so expensively, who's going to take trains next time..:biggrin:

xebay11

Alfrescian
Loyal
Now in JB sentosa having my favorite breakfast, totally no jam at 8:30 am, cross the Singapore customs and drove straight up to Malaysian CIQ, strangely no jam, maybe because sinkies thought that VEP in operation, anyway signs of things to come, hope the higher tolls block off the pathetic weekend red plate cars out permanently and leave entry to those who can pay.

Another comment to make the coffeshop at Taman Sentosa also many empty tables today, Good for me bad for businesses.

Last edited:

sgcount

Alfrescian
Loyal
Now in JB sentosa having my favorite breakfast, totally no jam at 8:30 am, cross the Singapore customs and drove straight up to Malaysian CIQ, strangely no jam, maybe because sinkies thought that VEP in operation, anyway signs of things to come, hope the higher tolls block off the pathetic weekend red plate cars out permanently and leave entry to those who can pay.

Another comment to make the coffeshop at Taman Sentosa also many empty tables today, Good for me bad for businesses.

Haha... you also enjoy Johor! Why not buy a home there to relax? Ok,, you did mention don't buy condo. Can consider a landed house then. It's sometimes nice to get out of the hustle and bustle of crowded SG.

potter

Alfrescian
Loyal

For so many yrs, u still cheong sentosa like other sinkie do...:p

xebay11

Alfrescian
Loyal
Haha... you also enjoy Johor! Why not buy a home there to relax? Ok,, you did mention don't buy condo. Can consider a landed house then. It's sometimes nice to get out of the hustle and bustle of crowded SG.

Still looking and taking my time for landed house, I am not ready to retire yet and also have Australian properties, so no rush.

xebay11

Alfrescian
Loyal
No matter what he say, however bad JB is, he still got JB in his heart. :smile:

Did I say JB is bad? I only say bad to buy for investment, rent or buying a landed property there for own stay is good. Anyway my current arrangement of getting a place in the north west and working in the West is working well for me. Singapore and Johor so close by, why must buy property in Johor to enjoy Johor?

mpan12

Alfrescian
Loyal
Did I say JB is bad? I only say bad to buy for investment, rent or buying a landed property there for own stay is good. Anyway my current arrangement of getting a place in the north west and working in the West is working well for me. Singapore and Johor so close by, why must buy property in Johor to enjoy Johor?

Ha... Yup. Agree.

I heard a Singapore woman bought CG Danga Bay condo for investment. After realising it might be impossible to find rental and there is likely no capital appreciation due to the oversupply, she changed her tactic and now decides to treat it as a holiday home.

For 5 months, she tried to prepare herself to like the place by going to that area every weekend to eat and shop. After that she gave up. It was too tiring and just didn't make sense to do it every week.

So I don't understand how people can say treat the condo in Iskandar as a "holiday home". Some tried to do short stay rental but the amount can't even cover 70% of the monthly bank loan.

She works in a bank and her husband is an accountant. So they can afford to pay the S$350k condo in cash. But now they realize that money is something they got to forego and kiss goodbye.

No one will buy an expensive resale condo in Johor.

Buy for investment, its bye-bye to your money!

sgtsk

Alfrescian
Loyal
I will appreciate if anyone could share whether you have received notification to collect or collected the VEP RFID. Has any anyone been charged the rm 20 per entry already?