• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Singapore retail graveyard

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Not sure if this fits in retail cat. What about those nite clubs in heydays like Golden Million (Shenton Way?). With dance hostesses by the hour. Before advent of lap sap KTVs :p

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Metro plaza where Merlin hotel and later plaza hotel was (now park royal hotel). The outlet later became a metro factory outlet.....now furniture mall. I saw they converted the multi storey car park there into another hotel - holiday inn.....really maximize space.
Metro supreme was at supreme house Penang road now park mall. The outlet briefly became a skating rink after metro closed the store.
Metro used to be everywhere....far east plaza, lucky plaza had stores too.
I'm younger than your 62 so my memory is better hehe

Merlin Hotel, later Plaza Hotel, Far East Plaza, Holiday Inn Annexe, ( became DFS), Lucky Plaza, Supreme House ( Now Park Mall or is it F$#$^ more? ha ha)...& if you are "younger"..Metro at High Street.

Metro Lucky Plaza used to have a POSB Branch at 5th floor, was it the first for a local bank??

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
heard Cathay Restaurant also game over soon

It was closed on 15th June 2015......ate a colleague child wedding dinner there...the product of that marriage, would have produced another product by now....time, really fly.

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I thought kabuki close for 6-8 years liao? 1-2 years ago still around??

Cannot be that long ago. I only retired from chionging 2 years back and quite sure they were still around then.
Caught the last euro football there every night with bookie friends so can't be that long.
The last time I went there was a new thai disco downstairs......

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Merlin Hotel, later Plaza Hotel, Far East Plaza, Holiday Inn Annexe, ( became DFS), Lucky Plaza, Supreme House ( Now Park Mall or is it F$#$^ more? ha ha)...& if you are "younger"..Metro at High Street.

Metro Lucky Plaza used to have a POSB Branch at 5th floor, was it the first for a local bank??

Metro boss jopie ong was a big gambler......VIP on the cruise ships.....he even had his own gambling cruise ship that burnt down.
Er better not share these info else resident cannon fairy will jump in to kpkb

canonfairy

Alfrescian
Loyal
Cannot be that long ago. I only retired from chionging 2 years back and quite sure they were still around then.
Caught the last euro football there every night with bookie friends so can't be that long.
The last time I went there was a new thai disco downstairs......

i retired from cheonging when they closed down neptune theatre dance restaurant at ang teng bay tau :biggrin:

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
i retired from cheonging when they closed down neptune theatre dance restaurant at ang teng bay tau :biggrin:

Ok still not that long ago.
I used to go Neptune twice weekly for dim sum lunch every time I go collect cheques from my broker at securities firm downstairs.
Ang Teng was for the beer garden with the early batches of Thai chickens in the 90s and later morphed into HFJ joint before final demise.

Brightkid

Alfrescian
Loyal
hill street hawker centre...charkwayteow and bakchormee stalls gone

There was a stall selling seafood soup with rice in there. Name of stall I recall is Red-something (Red Lantern?).

Their dried-sotong balls and fish cakes in the seafood soup were very nice. That was around 1990. Missed it till today and still trying to look out for them. Anyone knows where it gone to, let me know.

rambo22

Alfrescian
Loyal
There was a stall selling seafood soup with rice in there. Name of stall I recall is Red-something (Red Lantern?).

Their dried-sotong balls and fish cakes in the seafood soup were very nice. That was around 1990. Missed it till today and still trying to look out for them. Anyone knows where it gone to, let me know.

guess is now at Maxwell Road hawker ctr
nice sotong ball and meat ball

maxxi

Alfrescian
Loyal
Miss these old names:

Flam
Borders
Gramaphone
Tower Records
A&W
Carrefour
Pageone
Manolo Blanik
Ponderosa
Swizzler
Jco
Wimpy's
Avalon (worldwide 1st to close)
Harry Ramsden
Video Eazy
Prologue
Harris
Banquet
Banana Republic
Gap
Books Actually
Crazy Horse
Fancl
Taco Bell
Banquet
Perlini's
Five Star Tours
Euro Asia
FrancFranc
Sembawang Music
Aussino
River Island
U2
This Fashion
Big O Cafe
Ocean Pacific
Lane Crawford
Shop & Save
Hardee's
Mrs Fields
Rotiboy
1.99 shop
Cost Plus
Cafe Cartel
Angie's the Choice
Seyui
Au Printemps
Sogo
Yaohan
Daimaru
Sanur Indo restuarant
Dairyfarm [HK]
Galeries Lafayette
Kerry's
K-Mart
Tops
Tokyu
Hakku Kimisawa
Metro Jaya
Meitesu
Athletes Foot
Habitat
Emporium Holdings
WyWy
Stussy
Milanos

GramStroker

Alfrescian
Loyal
Kong Sia, basement, Colombo Court & Cortina Shopping Centre 1st floor, around that same are, we have Da Da Record shop indirectly facing the fire station, & Cosdell at the small shopping mall, owned by SPH now Paragon.

Da Da records used to sell cassette tapes without screws.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
DO RE MI CAFETERIA

owned by Yamaha at ex Plaza Sg 6th floor

Was it owned by YAMAHA?, the first eating outlet, where you use FOOD TRAY, choose your food, buffet style, pay at the cashier....later it became McLionel King or something, was there one at Changi Airport too?...guessed Rental killed their business..