• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Singapore retail graveyard

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Speaking of retail…

Adios to Dato Raja Dance Hall and the lovely little club next to it.

Chan Mali Chan......
Also the hawker center along the stretch......one stall sold pipa duck @13 bucks per bird......alway makan one and one tabao after drinks there

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Sizzler's.

At least Tony Roma's, one of the older restaurants, is still in existence.

Though I believe the quality of the food has deteriorated.
I remembered queuing to enter Tony Roma's first day opposite orchard towers ....their BBQ baby back cost 18 bucks then.....American portions.
It was owned by Indonesian owner and they later opened another outlet in wisma.
Dan Ryan's came later and opened in tanglin area and not forgetting to mention Denny's.....especially the yen San building outlet where you can hook angmo chicks during the weekends at the downstairs bar.
Sizzler's predecessor was ponderosa.....ordering the salad alone was enough liao

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Valentine's and The Attic.

The Attic is still around, recent months bumped into the shop, I think it is at Novena Square. What is that guy name, I forgot, the shop was at The Centrepoint for ages, he was involved in some court case, some years back. Never bought from that shop, all the years in existence...so expensive, wonder, how he survived??

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Valentine's and The Attic.

The Attic is still around, recent months bumped into the shop, I think it is at Novena Square. What is that guy name, I forgot, the shop was at The Centrepoint for ages, he was involved in some court case, some years back. Never bought from that shop, all the years in existence...so expensive, wonder, how he survived??

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Capitol or former Cold Storage one? :p

I frequented only the Capitol one, rarely the Cold Storage Orchard Road....just salivating thinking of their Milk Shake....yummy!! Attended on their last day of business, with free food...forgot, what I ate, blimey!

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Yes. Shaw Centre at Scotts Rd.

Anyone remember, ONG BROTHERS RECORD SHOP? at Shaw Centre, Scotts Rd, I think it is the second floor. Some of the shops there I remember, there was this Tailor shop ( forgot the name, the person working there, I know by sight from young man with black hair to middle age, completely white hair), 1st floor escalator turn right, opposite BiBi BaBa, then the shoe shop, same floor. Shop selling hardware of some sorts, another electrical appliances, one shop selling leather goods, with cowboy theme, 3rd floor, escalator up, right hand corner, stamp shop ( knew the owner, till he migrated to Australia), the mama shop that sells magazines, newspapers etc( use to order some mag from them on a monthly basis)..etc

canonfairy

Alfrescian
Loyal
this thread is like a nostalgic gathering for the old folks, reminising the good old days :biggrin:

btw i just turn 62 myself

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Thot they moved to Far East plaza?
The owner was that yaya guy bobby Yeo with the Afro....his sister was the DJ Berlinda Sunshine

MutterBerg

Alfrescian
Loyal
Beethoven music at Orchard roadside where Heeren is now

Beethoven Music was at Emerald Hill (currently Taka Jewellery) before moving to Centrepoint.

The other record shops in Orchard before the era of Tower/HMV and Grammophone were Sing Disc Sound (Raffles City, Lucky Plaza and a basement corner within CK Tang), Supreme Records (Plaza Sing and Centrepoint), Song Ching/Yi Ching at Wisma, and one at Orchard Emerald which I have forgotten the name.

In the early 90s, the all time fav was Hi Fi Corner in Adelphi, with its weekly Saturday Straits Times Classfified Column attacking its rival, Sembawang Music, free "coffee or tea Sir?", large trying before you buy corner with 20 CD players and young attractive promoters/cashiers. I wonder what happened to the HKies owners (Joe) after it closed down.

Last edited: