• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Euro 2016 Qualifiers

Neuer

Alfrescian
Loyal

Republic of Ireland let ourselves down - Coleman

seamus-coleman-cropped_1vx12yfhq72101msnpm3z8qvf0.jpg

By Joe Wright
Oct 12, 2015 00:14:10

Martin O'Neill's men lost out to Poland in the race for Euro 2016 and the full-back admits his side did not do enough in Warsaw to merit automatic qualification

Seamus Coleman believes the Republic of Ireland "let themselves down" after they lost out on an automatic qualifying spot for Euro 2016 to Poland.

Martin O'Neill's side went into the clash in Warsaw knowing that a victory – or a score draw of 2-2 or greater – would have seen them seal a place in the finals in France at Poland's expense.

Despite Jon Walters levelling from the penalty spot after Grzegorz Krychowiak's opening strike on Sunday, Robert Lewandowski's powerful header saw the home side triumph 2-1 to follow group winners Germany into the finals and leave Ireland facing the play-offs.

"We are all disappointed after doing brilliantly against Germany in the last match," Coleman said, as quoted by Uefa.com.

"We let ourselves down. We had the confidence and expected to win."

Ireland won three games on the bounce against Gibraltar, Georgia and world champions Germany to haul themselves back into contention in Group D and Coleman is eager for his team-mates to sustain some confidence for the play-offs.

"We have a big month now in November and we have to get going again," added the Everton full-back. "For periods of the group we would have snatched your hand off for a play-off place."

Richard Keogh missed a clear chance to equalise in the closing stages when he failed to connect properly with a header and the centre-back concedes he should have scored.

"It's obviously disappointing," the Derby County defender told RTE. "I thought the second half we played very well. We've got to make sure come November, we'll be ready.

"I tried to head it down towards the goal, but he's made a decent save. I probably should've scored."

Keogh believes the loss of John O'Shea and Jon Walters through suspension could prove costly, adding: "When you lose two players like that it's disappointing. They're fantastic players, a lot of experience in the team.

"But whoever comes into the team will step up. We'll go away and dust ourselves down and be ready for November."

The draw for the play-offs will be held on October 18.

Torres

Alfrescian
Loyal

Strachan unsure over Scotland future after qualifying failure

gordonstrachan-cropped_emigq8eb8zlg13lgsr5ykp5tj.jpg

By Alex Fisher
Oct 12, 2015 01:02:04

After failing to guide his country to the European Championships in France, the Tartan Army boss says he will examine their performances as whole before deciding his future

Gordon Strachan will fully assess Scotland's performance in Euro 2016 qualifying before making any decisions about his future with the national team.

Scotland wrapped up their campaign with a 6-0 thrashing of Gibraltar in Group D, but went into the game knowing there was no way they could reach the finals in France next year.

Those hopes were dashed on Thursday when a late Robert Lewandowski goal earned Poland a 2-2 draw at Hampden Park, making it impossible for Strachan's side to get into the top three.

"I'm so proud to be the Scotland manager," he said. "It's a great, great job to have.

"There's disappointments along the way, that's for sure. But I've got to say it's been a fantastic experience.

"I'm still enjoying the evening; the players' performance; the fans' performance and I'm going to enjoy that for a bit before I start thinking about me."

Strachan was delighted with the reaction he got from Scotland in Faro, Steven Fletcher starring with a hat-trick as they turned possession into a comprehensive victory.

He added to Sky Sports: "I thought from the first minute to the last, the professionalism and respect they gave Gibraltar was absolutely phenomenal.

"I didn't expect us to play at that tempo after the disappointment, but it just goes to show what I've got in there."

Torres

Alfrescian
Loyal

Giroud satisfied with France contribution

oliviergiroud-cropped_cdykut2dw9dm12nj96r8ddvbt.jpg

By Dejan Kalinic
Oct 12, 2015 07:19:25

After finally scoring again for Les Blues, the Arsenal target man was happy with his display against the Danes

France striker Olivier Giroud was happy with his contribution in his team's win over Denmark, but believes he can do even more.

The Arsenal man scored twice in the opening six minutes of France's 2-1 friendly win in Copenhagen on Sunday.

For Giroud, the goals were his first for the national team since netting against the same opposition in March.

The 29-year-old said he was pleased to help France to their fourth straight win.

"We made a very good start to the game, all together," Giroud told L'Equipe.

"There were some very good things in the first half, even the second, but [we] failed to drive the point and in the end we conceded this goal late in the game.

"This is a small problem, but we will retain that fourth straight victory, which had not happened for three years.

"It was important for me to make a good game tonight, to be decisive."

Pique

Alfrescian
Loyal

Spain to play Belgium in November friendly

spain-cropped_1c5ih8pnav3vw10r316dvafwul.jpg

Oct 12, 2015 07:34:57

The Euro 2012 champions will prepare for the tournament in France with an added match against Marc Wilmots' side

European champions Spain will step up their preparations for Euro 2016 with an international friendly against Belgium in November.

Spain will travel to Belgium on November 17, four days after hosting England in Alicante.

Spain and Belgium have qualified for next year's European Championships in France after topping their respective groups.

Next month's fixture will be the first meeting between Spain and Belgium since 2009.

David Silva and David Villa scored braces as Spain routed Belgium 5-0 in a World Cup qualifier.

Belgium have not beaten Spain since their quarter-final penalty shoot-out win at the 1986 World Cup in Mexico.

Ilkay

Alfrescian
Loyal

Hodgson rejects easy cap claims

delealli-cropped_16rz3wtvc9wzb1uduz8dgaxyb5.jpg

By Sacha Pisani
Oct 12, 2015 07:45:57

The England manager has strongly disagreed with former international Jamie Carragher's claims that it has never been easier to win an international call-up for the Three Lions

England manager Roy Hodgson dismissed claims it is too easy to represent the national team after handing 19-year-old Dele Alli a debut.

Former England international Jamie Carragher believes it has never been easier to win a cap in the wake of the midfielder's international bow following just four Premier League starts for Tottenham.

Alli, 19, came off the bench and played for two minutes as England beat Estonia 2-0 in Euro 2016 qualifying on Friday.

Hodgson, who has used 31 players throughout England's qualifying campaign, insisted that is not the case.

"You have to be careful with that argument because it's not a situation where, the moment you kick the ball correctly from A to B, you'll get in the England team," Hodgson said ahead of Monday's clash in Lithuania.

"It's not like that at all. If you do make an impact as a young player, and then there are a lot of injuries in the first-team [you will get a chance].

"I said to Dele Alli that he's here on merit, and he can handle the pressures, but I did say to him that there's a good chance you'll be with the under-21s next time.

"I told him 'don't think you're a senior player. You’re an England player, but whether you're in the seniors or in the under-21s remains to be seen'.

"If he turns out to be one of the best players in the Premier League this season, you’ll all want him in for the finals."

Depay

Alfrescian
Loyal

I will remain Netherlands coach - Blind

danny-blind-netherlands_c1j9hsw7wv6r1igh4yrwhf0y9.jpg

By Peter McVitie
Oct 13, 2015 22:53:41

Despite failure to lead Oranje to a Euro 2016 playoff place, the coach insists he will remain in charge and believes he can turn the situation around

Danny Blind has insisted that he will remain Netherlands coach, despite the side's failure to qualify for Euro 2016.

Netherlands needed three points from their final qualifying match against Czech Republic and needed Turkey to lose to Iceland if they were to secure a spot in the playoffs.

However, the Dutch surrendered 3-2 to Tuesday's visitors to ensure they missed out on the competition altogether.

Blind, who replaced Guus Hiddink at the helm of the national team in July, insists he will not leave his role and is confident of getting the team back to a higher level.

"I want to stay with Oranje," he told NOS after the game.

"I don't feel damaged myself. Above all else, we now need to analyse where it went wrong and then look ahead.

"I'm not here at the right time, but I'm doing my job.

"The disappointment is with the whole qualifying campaign, which has not gone well.

"You have to stay realistic. Everyone will realise that we have to change many things, but we are missing 12 to 15 players.

"You cannot expect a country like Netherlands to win easily. We have to go on."

Marchisio

Alfrescian
Loyal

Conte: Difficult to explain why Italy won't be seeded

antonioconte-cropped_wa4hbgclz7x01j4lwuzh57fvo.jpg

By Mark Doyle
Oct 14, 2015 00:32:23

The Azzurri coach is amazed that the country will be in Pot 2 for December's draw for Euro 2016 after qualifying for the tournament undefeated

Antonio Conte is baffled by the fact Italy will not be among the top seeds for the Euro 2016 group stage draw, despite topping their qualification pool.

A 1-0 friendly defeat to Portugal in June is Italy's only loss under Conte since he replaced Cesare Prandelli at the helm of the national team after last year's World Cup group stage elimination.

The Azzurri then secured automatic qualification for next summer's European Championship after going unbeaten through their 10-game qualification campaign, racking up seven wins and three draws.

But despite their impressive form, Italy will be in Pot 2 in December's draw for the Euros, with France seeded as hosts, and Germany, Spain, England, Portugal and Belgium all ranked above Conte's men.

"It's difficult to explain why we're not top seeds, we have finished the group with 24 points," Conte told Rai Uno after Tuesday's 2-1 victory over Norway.

"It's a shame about the friendly defeat against Portugal. Otherwise, we'd be taking about an unbeaten team."

Despite Conte's success, speculation is rife that he will step down when his current contract with the Italian Football Federation (FIGC) expires after the Euros.

However, the 46-year-old does not want to be drawn on his future until after the tournament.

"I don't think that six months out from the Euros is the time to be speaking about it," he stated.

"You saw how it went with Prandelli, who renewed his contract before the World Cup and was then dismissed."

Conte was proud of the way in which his players responded to falling behind to a first-half strike from Alexander Tettey, with late goals from Alessandro Florenzi and Graziano Pelle.

"Compliments to our opponents; Norway are a good team," he stated. "But we have done what we needed to do.

"We wouldn't have deserved to lose. I'm happy with the intensity and the grit. We're on the right track.

"We also put Norway in difficulty in the first half and we were unlucky to go behind but changing the system to a 4-2-4 during the game was planned," the Italy boss added.

"Knowing how to interpret various tactical situations is our strength."

Ibrahimovic

Alfrescian
Loyal

Ibrahimovic: Euro 2016 without me? Unthinkable!

9E7C2EE0AF1D1A33FD3BEFFF95888F87.jpg

By Alec Fenn
Oct 14, 2015 09:43:03

Sweden face a play-off to reach the tournament next summer and the Paris Saint-Germain striker is horrified by the thought of not participating in France

Sweden star Zlatan Ibrahimovic says it is "unthinkable" to imagine Euro 2016 without him starring at the tournament.

The Scandinavian nation finished third in Group G behind Albania and Russia, meaning they face a play-off to qualify for the competition next summer.

Ibrahimovic remains supremely confident Sweden will qualify, however, and has refused to entertain the prospect of him not participating.

He said: "I don't want to miss the European Championship, it's unlikely and unthinkable for me to see this tournament ongoing without me.

"We didn't go in the classical way, so we will find out another one to go. Whoever will be our opponent in the playoff, it will be tough.

"In this kind of games, each team give its 200%. It's an all-in. But I'm sure we will qualify."

The draw for the play-offs takes place on Sunday, with Sweden seeeded and will therefore draw one of Denmark, Norway, Republic of Ireland or Slovenia.

Pique

Alfrescian
Loyal

Uefa investigate England crowd trouble

2069022_heroa.jpg

Oct 14, 2015 10:00:00

European football's governing body are investigating several incidents involving England fans during the Three Lions' victory over Lithuania

Uefa have opened disciplinary proceedings against the English FA following crowd disturbances during the 3-0 victory over Lithuania in Vilnius.

A number of England fans sat in seats reserved for home fans behind one of the goals, which resulted in clashes between both sets of fans before riot police intervened in the first half.

Uefa have now released a statement on their website, indicating that the FA will be punished as a result of the behaviour of Three Lions supporters.

The Lithuanian FA are also being investigated over incidents involving their fans during the match as well as the limitation of spectator movement and the blocking of stairways within the stadium.

The Uefa Control, Ethics and Disciplinary Body will reach a verdict regarding the incidents on October 22 2015, with possible sanctions to be handed out after a decision is reached.

Ibrahimovic

Alfrescian
Loyal

Russia v Portugal Preview: Ronaldo rested but Euro 2016 starts now for Oliveira

oliveira-cropped_f5e3i9rn207o1ewx6kpuq133w.jpg

By Chris Myson
Nov 12, 2015 13:09:39

The Real Madrid ace has been given a well deserved break but the Seleccao are taking their friendly with Leonid Slutsky's side very seriously

Russia host Portugal in Krasnodar on Friday as the two nations look to maintain their strong momentum going into Euro 2016.

Both finished their qualifying campaigns on impressive form to book their tickets to France and now meet in what is the first part of double-headers for each side during the international break.

Portugal have rested captain Cristiano Ronaldo for their trip to Russia and the match against Luxembourg on Tuesday, while experienced trio Ricardo Quaresma, Ricardo Carvalho and Tiago are also given a break.

Adrien Silva, Danny, Eder and Fabio Coentrao miss the game through injury, meaning Fernando Santos has an experimental squad at his disposal which will be captained by Nani.

However, on-loan Nottingham Forest striker Nelson Oliveira insists the Euros campaign starts now for a Portugal team who have won nine of their last 11 games.

The 24-year-old told A Bola: "The Euros begin now for us and these are games that we can use to prepare us better for the competition.

"We intend to produce good matches and win, because we always want to win. The coach was watching several other players and I was one of them.

"I wanted to be called and was in a good moment for my club. I worked hard to be here and the coach thought I deserved to be called, so I am grateful for that."

Nice defender Ricardo Pereira has earned his first international call-up and feels the absence of many of the squad's senior players provides others with a vital opportunity to stake their claims.

"Of course I hope to be at the Euros, everyone anticipates the decision – even those who did not make this squad," he said.

"These two games are important for those who have fewer opportunities to show their value to the coach and help the team. We do have the quality to win the Euros but we have to show it on the pitch."

Russia are also on a high after Leonid Slutsky masterminded a late recovery in their qualifying campaign after replacing Fabio Capello at the helm.

Four straight wins saw them surge into second place and condemn Sweden to the play-offs, with defender Andrei Semyonov making it clear that their games against Portugal and Croatia will be taken seriously.

"Playing for the national team there is always a big responsibility," he said.

"We are all preparing for the friendly match as if it is an official game. It is as important as ever to do that because we face very serious opponents in Portugal and Croatia.

"We would like to play against the key players but in principle, Portugal have someone to replace each of their leaders. I would have liked Ronaldo to play, as it would have been interesting to face him.

"Things are a little different for us now. Slutsky creates a relaxed and pleasant atmosphere."

Vasili Berezutski and Oleg Shatov are out due to injury.

These two countries last met during qualification for the 2014 World Cup, with both winning their respective home matches 1-0 as Russia eventually topped the group by a point.

Muller

Alfrescian
Loyal

Ukraine v Slovenia Preview: Fomenko out to end Ukraine's play-off hoodoo

mikhail-fomenko-cropped_1oxf63q3r69jg1g0ovo4zfoxam.jpg

By Matthew Rogerson
Nov 12, 2015 12:47:49

Mykhailo Fomenko will be the latest man to try and guide Ukraine to a major competition via the play-offs against Slovenia this weekend

Play-offs for major competitions have often brought heartache for Ukraine but Mykhailo Fomenko says past results count for little going into the first leg of their Euro 2016 qualifiier against Slovenia on Saturday.

The nations meet at the Arena Lviv this weekend after finishing third in their respective pools, with Fomenko seeking to end Ukraine's usual difficulties in play-off ties.

Ukraine have failed to negotiate two-legged knock-out fixtures ahead the World Cups in 1998, 2002, 2010 and 2014, while Saturday's opponents added to that unwanted record in qualifying for Euro 2000.

A 3-2 play-off success secured Srekco Kanatec's Slovenia side a spot at the competition in Belgium and the Netherlands, with next week's second leg faling exactly 16 years after the 1-1 draw that sealed their progression.

As Fomenko seeks to inflict a first Ukrainian defeat on Slovenia in five attempts this weekend, despite the absence of suspended pair Olexandr Kucher and Taras Stepanenko, the coach acknowledged: "There's not much to be cheerful about.

"Ukraine have lost all their previous finals play-offs, but that is history now. We are living for today and focusing on the future. Of course it would be better to start away but we cannot change anything about the draw.

"We have experience of beating France in a home first leg [in qualifying for the 2014 World Cup] and will use that in our preparations."

Slovenia's other experience of European Championship qualification play-offs resulted in defeat to Croatia [ahead of Euro 2004], although the nation have seen off Romania and Russia in play-offs to reach recent World Cups.

Katanec - currently in his second spell at the helm - has recalled Miso Brecko, Sinisa Andjelkovic and Benjamin Verbic for the play-offs but remains wary of a dangerous Ukraine side.

"I have watched all of Ukraine's qualifying matches. They conceded only four goals, that is amazing," he explained.

"Ukraine have a technically sophisticated and robust team. Their wingers are great, their only problems are in defence and maybe in picking up bookings.

"Our FIFA ranking [having dropped to 64th place, with Ukraine 28th] will not play any role in these play-offs. In such matches you also need some luck. We will play two games in three days, and in this situation sometimes even the best teams can slip.

"Miso Brecko was twice missing [in September and October], but these are matches in which we need experienced guys. Three days, two matches, one aim – I am sure that with the right approach we can be successful and we can bring some joy to Slovenia again."

JanOblak

Alfrescian
Loyal

Italy boss Conte ready to experiment against Belgium

antonioconte10292015_dlgqtczocy4c1fy5khr72vpr1.jpg

Nov 13, 2015 00:39:49

The former Juventus boss says he left some experienced heads out of his squad as he wants to fully evaluate the depth of talent at his disposal

Italy head coach Antonio Conte has revealed he is using the friendly match against Belgium to test out new formations and players ahead of Euro 2016.

Key midfielders Daniele De Rossi, Andrea Pirlo and Marco Verratti are not in the squad for the game in Brussels against the world's number one side.

Conte is looking forward to seeing how some of the other players in his selection cope as he finalises his plans for the 23-man squad he will take to France next year.

"In the past and throughout the qualifying campaign we have coped well with them being out," the former Juventus boss said of the absent midfield trio.

"Plus, there is Claudio Marchisio, who is back. It will be a good game to test out new alternatives.

"These are games we need to get some guaranteed alternatives, players who can be reliable in a tournament where I can only call 20 plus three goalkeepers.

"It is important to evaluate. In the last two games, Verratti and Marco Parolo did very well, as did Roberto Soriano, Riccardo Montolivo and Alessandro Florenzi against Norway.

"These are important tests and we must not make mistakes if we are to find a 23-man group who can handle a European Championship or World Cup. That choice is the most important of all.

"I will not be able to see these players again until March and cannot give them vital input, so we will see what response we get from the game and make evaluations."

Conte has suggested he will line up with a 4-4-2 formation in Belgium having used a 3-5-2 in Italy's last match against Norway.

He continued: "We are seeking tactical responses in tough and probing tests in order to figure out how far we can go.

"I want to test out a few situations, including tactical options, ahead of the Euros. The result only matters to a degree, although you know how much me and Marc Wilmots hate to lose.

"Whatever happens in this game, we must not get ahead of ourselves or depressed. I wanted us to face top-level opposition at this time to understand if we are on the right track and see what needs to improve."

Following the Belgium game, Italy face fellow Euro 2016 qualifiers Romania in a home friendly in Bologna on Tuesday.

Bartra

Alfrescian
Loyal

Dzeko: Ireland still dangerous despite key absentees

edindzeko-cropped_1hmnhk630lmgx1pu3a7hte27j8.jpg

By Tom Beck
Nov 13, 2015 00:18:51

The Bosnia-Herzegovina striker does not think that injuries to a number of first-team regulars will make Martin O'Neill's side any less of a threat

Edin Dzeko has warned his Bosnia-Herzegovina team-mates to take nothing for granted against Republic of Ireland, after their 1-0 win over Germany.

The two sides meet in Zenica on Friday in the first leg of their Euro 2016 play-off, with both nations vying for a place in next summer's tournament in France.

Ireland have suffered injuries to key players during their qualifying campaign, with John O'Shea and Shane Long in danger of missing both legs, while Jon Walters is suspended for the trip to Bosnia.

However, Roma striker Dzeko still expects the visitors to offer a stern test.

"Maybe some of their most important players are not playing in the first game, so it's a big problem for them, but they have other good players who can jump in, so I don't think it's a big advantage for us," he said.

"They have some important players, some experienced players, who can bring something different to the team - like they did against Germany, because it's not easy doing it against them. If you win, you must be a good team."

Asked if the Bosnians, who finished behind Belgium and Wales in Group B, are favourites to progress, Dzeko said: "No, I think it's 50-50.

"It doesn't matter that some of our players are playing in the Champions League because Ireland have players with a lot of experience who have already played in big games.

"I know almost all the Irish players - they all play in England in the best league in the world and they are there because they have their individual qualities, they are good players.

"Even if some of them are missing, they are a good team which will definitely never give up, I know that."

MesutOzil

Alfrescian
Loyal

Sweden - Denmark Preview: Lustig eager to make most of home advantage

zlatan-ibrahimovic-sweden_k772m2wce2mc1pcz4heasoxb7.jpg

By Chris Myson
Nov 12, 2015 20:00:40

The two Scandinavian sides clash at the Friends Arena in the first leg of their Euro 2016 play-off with the hosts having lost four of their last five against their rivals

Sweden take on rivals Denmark in the first leg of their Euro 2016 qualification play-off tie on Saturday, with defender Mikael Lustig eager to secure an advantage to take to Copenhagen.

The two games in the space of four days will determine which of the Scandinavian sides will travel to France for the 24-team tournament next year.

Sweden suffered frustration by losing two crucial qualifiers against Russia and Austria in September to miss out on an automatic ticket that looked to be on the cards for much of the campaign.

A haul of only two points in Denmark's final three matches meant they also missed out in their group as Albania battled to second place behind Portugal.

Celtic right-back Lustig does not feel there is much between the two teams and urged Sweden to make full use of the fact they play the first leg at home by building an advantage to take with them to Denmark.

"Hopefully playing at home can be an advantage, especially when we are heading into games like this which are play-offs," the 28-year-old told Celtic View.

"You don’t want to risk too much but now we need to try to get on the front foot and try to score as many as possible.

"We know it is going to be hard to go to Copenhagen and scoring there so hopefully we can do enough to get a good result at home.

"It is a difficult task and this could be 50-50."

Lustig compared the two nations' rivalry to England versus Scotland and is desperate to see Sweden end their poor run of form in the fixture – they have failed to score in the last five games dating back to 2007, losing four of them.

He continued: "We are neighbours so it is a bit like England and Scotland. Of course, it is a big game and it is the same language we speak so there is plenty of that.

"It is a special game and that adds to it. It is going to hurt more if you lose against Denmark than another team and vice versa.

"We have a bad recent record against them and the last four games we have not won but it is a new game with new opportunities. As long as we go to the Euros we will be happy, even though we have done it the hard way."

Denmark playmaker Christian Eriksen says his side can improve going forward ahead of the Sweden game after failing to score in their costly last three qualifiers.

"You can always create more chances, it is clear," the Tottenham star told TV2.

"We have been guilty of playing the ball sideways too often but we have still created the chances to get goals and win – we have just not scored enough.

"We have lacked that last bit of luck in a few matches. We have hit the post and only lacked a few centimetres to score goals. We must work even harder to find a way we can get the ball over the line."

BasDost

Alfrescian
Loyal

Wilmots: Belgium will play dominating football

13 November 2015

949065header.jpg

Marc Wilmots wants Belgium to play some attractive and dominating football against Italy when the two nations meet in an international friendly.

Belgium, who made the quarter-finals of the 2014 World Cup, are currently the number one ranked team in the world and begin their preparations for Euro 2016 with a fixture at home to Italy in Brussels on Friday.

Despite it being a friendly, Belgium coach Wilmots is relishing the test against of the world's best teams.

"When you play against such great nation I have no need to motivate my players," Wilmots said. "Everybody wants to play, but for me, I want to see a lot of people.

"I prefer to play against a great team. As a player it was the same. The players are greatly motivated to play those games.

"We play at home so we will play some football. We'll play dominating football. We'll make the players play that way. But I'll try to have a balanced team like always."

Belgium - in the midst of a four-game winning streak - host Italy in the first of two friendlies during the international break, with the visit of European champions Spain to following on November 17.

"I am happy that we are playing against Italy and Spain, as it's better than facing smaller teams," added Belgium attacker Kevin De Bruyne.

"We can play our best against top level sides and can be judged more accurately. It's a more important test.

"There are many great players in the Belgium squad and the youngsters coming up are very strong too. Everyone is playing well at club level, so in the end the Coach has to make his decisions."

Ibrahimovic

Alfrescian
Loyal

Slovenia - Ukraine preview: Fomenko desperate to end play-off curse

ukraine-cropped_1aqpd9m92fj0w1m5i3p1mybkck.jpg

Nov 15, 2015 13:59:39

Goals from Yarmolenko and Seleznyov put the visitors 2-0 up in the first leg of the play-off, looking to end an awful record at this stage

Ukraine coach Mikhail Fomenko will bear past failures in mind as he looks to end his country's disastrous play-off record by reaching Euro 2016.

A 2-0 victory in the home leg against Slovenia – courtesy of goals from Andriy Yarmolenko and Yevhen Seleznyov – put his side in full control of the tie ahead of Tuesday's second leg in Maribor, but the nation have been here before.

Ukraine lost a play-off against the same opponents as they failed to reach Euro 2000, with this match taking place 16 years to the day after that loss, as well as losing two-legged ties to reach the 1998, 2002, 2010 and 2014 World Cups.

The most recent failure was a memorable collapse against France. After winning the home leg 2-0, they crumbled to a 3-0 loss in Paris four days later – a fate they are desperate to avoid this time around.

"Of course it would be better to start the tie away, but we cannot change anything with the draw," said Fomenko.

"We have experience of beating France in a home first leg and we will use that in our preparations this time.

"It is a bit disappointing that we didn't get the third goal, but saying that we didn't concede either. Now we need to calm down.

"We have time, the players can relax and in Maribor we will decide on our line-up. Our players know what they have to do in the second leg."

Slovenia have a solid home record having won five of their last seven competitive fixtures in their own country, with only England handing them defeat.

Ukraine, though, are decent on their travels. In the qualifying group stage they only lost away to Spain, picking up 10 points from their other four matches on the road.

Slovenia head coach Srecko Katanec rued his side's missed chances in the first leg, but insisted the tie is not yet over.

"This is not the end of our campaign," he said.

"We will try to produce our best football at home and will try to secure a result. I decided to take off Josip Ilicic in the first leg because we have another game, so we must be careful with our best players.

"My congratulations go to Ukraine for the first leg – they scored two goals and this will help them in the tie. It was very disappointing that we missed all our chances, particularly one at the start of the game."

Ibrahimovic

Alfrescian
Loyal

Euro 2016 ecstasy for Hungary as they end 30-year wait

Hungary’s 30-year wait to play on the major championship stage will end in France next year after their 2-1 victory over Norway ensured that one of football’s most storied nations qualified for the Euro 2016 finals

PUBLISHED : Monday, 16 November, 2015, 10:12am
UPDATED : Monday, 16 November, 2015, 10:12am

Reuters in Budapest

ef86c18c-8c04-11e5-8afa-edea3e14aa04_1280x720.jpg

Hungary’s players celebrate after beating Norway 2-1 to qualify for Euro 2016 in France. Photo: Reuters

Hungary’s 30-year wait to play on the major championship stage will end in France next year after their 2-1 victory over Norway ensured that one of football’s most storied nations qualified for the Euro 2016 finals.

The triumph, which sealed their 3-1 victory on aggregate in front of an ecstatic crowd in the Groupama Arena, guaranteed Hungary’s first appearance in any championship finals since the 1986 World Cup in Mexico.

“I have to congratulate my team, association president Sandor Csanyi, and also Pal Dardai, who I took over from and he left this team for me,” said Hungary’s German coach, Bernd Storck, who took charge in July.

“The players’ approach was fantastic during those two games, they fought well and deserved to qualify for France.

“I told them to play with confidence, play without fear and you will have success.”

c3d78576-8c04-11e5-8afa-edea3e14aa04_486x.jpg

Tamas Priskin rifles in the opener. Photo: EPA

The Hungarians built on their first-leg win in Oslo when Tamas Priskin curled in a delightful 14th-minute opener and Markus Henriksen’s own goal on 83 minutes made the tie safe.

Henriksen atoned with a late goal but it was scant consolation for the Norwegians as the home side celebrated qualifying for the European Championship finals for the first time since 1972.

f57eea1e-8c05-11e5-8afa-edea3e14aa04_486x.jpg

Coach Bernd Storck is thrown in the air after Hungary’s victory in Budapest. Photo: AFPThe toast of Budapest was Hungary’s 39-year-old Gabor Kiraly, who made a series of superb saves over the two legs.

“Congratulations to Hungary, they were better than us over the two legs,” said Norway coach Per-Mathias Hogmo.

“I am deeply disappointed with our performance. We could not score in Oslo, that was a big setback. All in all, we came up short.”

622b40b8-8c06-11e5-8afa-edea3e14aa04_486x.jpg

Hungary keeper Gabor Kiraly charges up the field after Hungary’s second goal. Photo: Reuters

Ibrahimovic

Alfrescian
Loyal

Euro 2016 will receive necessary security measures - French sports minister

patrick-kanner-cropped_1eqef9rkiq8jx1afv9akza3yny.jpg

By Tom Webber
Nov 18, 2015 18:15:05

The French politician has assured supporters that the right steps will be taken to ensure safety at next year's tournament

France's sports minister Patrick Kanner insists the necessary measures will be taken to ensure the safety of supporters at Euro 2016.

A series of co-ordinated terrorist attacks in Paris on Friday left 129 dead, with suicide bombers unsuccessful in attempts to enter the Stade de France during the friendly between France and Germany.

Security concerns also resulted in friendlies between Belgium and Spain, and Germany and Netherlands, scheduled for Tuesday, being cancelled.

The government official was adamant that appropriate action will be taken to ensure that the European Championship is safe for all visiting supporters.

"The Euros must be prepared, including on security matters," Kanner said.

"We need to reassure the French people and reassure our European friends who will come by the hundreds of thousands into our country.

"Everything will be done, by the state and under the authority of the prime minister, to take the right measures.

"Nothing will ever be the same again, but we'll continue this adventure that will gather everybody from the June 10 to July 10, 2016."

Ibrahimovic

Alfrescian
Loyal

Benzema wants to play at Euro 2016 with Valbuena

karim-benzema-cropped_fc9mfbveorvj1rot9x2k58czs.jpg

By Joe Wright
Dec 2, 2015 18:11:40

Speaking out about the alleged blackmail attempt against his international team-mate, the Real Madrid striker remains hopeful of making Deschamps' squad

Karim Benzema has spoken of his hope that he can play for France at Euro 2016 alongside Mathieu Valbuena.

The Real Madrid striker is facing charges of conspiracy to blackmail over an alleged extortion attempt involving a sex-tape of the Lyon playmaker.

He denies the charges and Benzema's agent Sylvain Cormier has protested his client's innocence, saying he is "absolutely calm and beyond reproach".

Valbuena broke his silence on the matter by stating he was "more than disappointed" with Benzema in an interview with Le Monde, but the forward hopes to see an amicable resolution to the case - and one that does not damage France's hopes of European Championship glory on home soil.

"Hopefully it will end well, we will all be okay... and we will all return to the France team to win those Euros," Benzema told TF1, with the full interview set to be broadcast later on Wednesday.

The French Football Federation has confirmed its own legal action over the case, with parties in French law able to make claims for compensation if they feel they have suffered damage or injury.

French Prime Minister Manuel Valls also appeared to suggest Benzema had "no place" in the France squad due to the allegations, but Benzema is determined to clear his name, adding: "I'm not playing for the cameras. I'm not playing a game."

France coach Didier Deschamps left both players out of his party for the friendly games with Germany and England last month, though Benzema would likely have been rested anyway as a result of a hamstring problem.