• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Euro 2016 Qualifiers

Pique

Alfrescian
Loyal

Trapattoni: Italy are lacking a Messi or Ronaldo

giovannitrapattoni_ry83nxq2w96l16oyjkqar0tvu.jpg

By Joe Wright
Sep 8, 2015 14:56:40

The Azzurri must embrace the players at their disposal rather than hope for a star like the Argentina talisman, the coach believes

Former Italy boss Giovanni Trapattoni admits the current side lacks a star player in the mold of Lionel Messi or Cristiano Ronaldo, but insists the team remains strong.

Antonio Conte's side could only manage unconvincing 1-0 wins over Malta and Bulgaria respectively in their most recent Euro 2016 qualifiers, but they remain top of Group H by two points with two games to play.

Trapattoni, however, has no doubt that Italy will be among the leading contenders at the finals in France next summer.

"We have to start a game with the assumption that we don't have a Messi or a Cristiano Ronaldo, and be content with what is available," Tuttosport.

"We have a precise identity and play with great spirit.

"Against Malta and Bulgaria, I saw players chasing their opponents for 80 metres. We've taken six points that bring us closer to first place in a very even group.

"Conte is very good, he manages to make the most of what he has available. The players believe in him, so we must as well.

"I'm sure we'll be a leading protagonist at Euro 2016, as ever. The critics have been exaggerating, but this is something normal."

Ramsey

Alfrescian
Loyal

Ramsey eyes England clash

8 September 2015 04:03

906952header.jpg

Arsenal midfielder Aaron Ramsey would love to see Wales take on England after their rise in the FIFA rankings.

For the first time, England are below Wales in the FIFA rankings – with Roy Hodgson's men slipping to 10th.

Chris Coleman's men are also on track to qualify for Euro 2016, which would be their first major tournament since the 1958 World Cup.

Ramsey said he wanted to take on England, with his club team-mates Jack Wilshere, Theo Walcott and Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain potentially on the other side.

"There will be a bit of banter between me and some of my team-mates at Arsenal," Ramsey said.

"It is always a great game, a committed game. I have been involved in two before. So yeah, why not play them?

"If it does happen, it will be a great game."

With two games remaining, Wales are top of Group B – a point clear of Belgium and five ahead of Israel.

Ramsey said they were confident of sealing progress when they take on Bosnia-Herzegovina in Zenica on October 10, while they host Andorra three days later.

"We feel we can go to Bosnia and grab all three points. That's the confidence in this team at the moment. Hopefully we will be able to do that and have a successful end to what has been a great campaign," he said.

"This squad has got a lot of experience and a lot of the players play for top clubs around the world and have a lot of caps.

"We haven't been in this position before but I think our club experience will help us. We have done a remarkable job so far so we won't feel too down. We are still top of the group with a couple of games to play; we're looking forward to that."

Joachim

Alfrescian
Loyal

Bale choosing Wales over England cost him millions - agent

gareth-bale-wales_1cje7mp8yxw8v1n7fn0v614hj8.jpg

By Peter McVitie
Sep 10, 2015 08:51:20

The agent says the Real Madrid attacker's father snapped at him when he raised the prospect of playing for the Three Lions when he was a teenager but says he loves playing for h...

Gareth Bale's decision to play for Wales instead of England has cost him millions of pounds, his agent says.

The 26-year-old is the star of the Wales side, who sit top of Group B in Euro 2016 qualifying with two games left to play.

Bale, however, could have played for England instead and his representative, Jonathan Barnett, believes he has lost a lot of money because he opted to feature for his native country.

"When we first got together when he was 15, we talked about whether he was going to play for England or Wales," he said at Soccerex. "I nearly got my head bitten off by his dad, who is fanatically Welsh, and his mum.

“He could have qualified to play for england through his grandmother and I tell you that it has cost him millions and millions of pounds.

"You can imagine what it would have been like if he were playing for England next summer in the Euros, but he does love playing for Wales.”

Barnett had said on Tuesday that Bale had no intention of leaving Real Madrid and is happy in the Spanish capital and added that he is looking forward to playing a more central role this term.

“Now, he is not playing wide right, he is playing more centrally and that is going to suit him more and give him the sort of freedom he has with Wales," he added. "He enjoys that role because he was getting a little frustrated.

“Last season he didn’t get the ball that much and when he did get it was slow. By the time he received it, there were already three men on him.

“He doesn't get appreciated at Madrid because the fans love Ronaldo. If you watch the way Real Madrid play this season, I think you will see a shift.

"I think things are maybe changing.”

Joachim

Alfrescian
Loyal

Rooney not guaranteed England place, insists Hodgson

1893392_heroa.jpg

By Chris Davie
Oct 2, 2015 00:15:00

The 68-year-old admits that the Manchester United forward, who is now the country's all-time leading scorer with 50 goals, is not immune from being dropped from his side

Roy Hodgson has warned Wayne Rooney that there is “no guarantee” of a place in his England team.

In September, Rooney became England’s all-time leading scorer but his form for Manchester United this season has been patchy with only one Premier League goal to his name so far.

When asked if he could imagine dropping Rooney, the England manager replied: "At the moment, that day has not arrived," Hodgson said when asked if he could ever envisage a time when Rooney could be dropped.

"With any luck it won't arrive because he will continue to play well and he will continue to merit his place and we will still talk as warmly about him after the tournament in June as we are now, but there is no guarantee.

"I have been in football a long time and Wayne Rooney has been in football a long time. He would regard me as someone who is very false if I ever said to him your place is guaranteed.

"He would not expect it, and I would be very upset if anyone asked me to give them a guarantee of a place. No one else has ever done, and I would take umbrage if that day ever arrived."

Ibrahimovic

Alfrescian
Loyal

Stones ruled out of England qualifiers as Rooney misses training

john-stones-england_18vow603s7d3lzwvobhc7wbq7.jpg

By Alec Fenn
Oct 6, 2015 20:01:44

The Everton defender suffered a knee injury recently and missed Sunday's Merseyside derby, while Wayne Rooney, Danny Ings and Jonjo Shelvey missed training on Tuesday

John Stones has been ruled out of England's Euro 2016 qualifiers against Estonia and Lithuania through injury.

The centre-back sat out Sunday's Merseyside derby between Everton and Liverpool due to a knee injury and has been sent back to the Toffees to receive treatment.

Tottenham's Kyle Walker has been added to Roy Hogson's squad to take the 21-year-old's place.

Meanwhile, three other members of England's 24-man selection sat out training at St George's Park on Tuesday, with captain Wayne Rooney, Danny Ings and Jonjo Shelvey nursing knocks.

With question marks over the trio, Walker's Tottenham teammate Andros Townsend has also been handed a late call up.

The Three Lions face Estonia at Wembley on Friday before taking on Lithuania on Monday, having already secured top spot in Group E.

Movingaway

Alfrescian
Loyal

Rooney not guaranteed England place, insists Hodgson

1893392_heroa.jpg

By Chris Davie
Oct 2, 2015 00:15:00

The 68-year-old admits that the Manchester United forward, who is now the country's all-time leading scorer with 50 goals, is not immune from being dropped from his side

Roy Hodgson has warned Wayne Rooney that there is “no guarantee” of a place in his England team.

In September, Rooney became England’s all-time leading scorer but his form for Manchester United this season has been patchy with only one Premier League goal to his name so far.

When asked if he could imagine dropping Rooney, the England manager replied: "At the moment, that day has not arrived," Hodgson said when asked if he could ever envisage a time when Rooney could be dropped.

"With any luck it won't arrive because he will continue to play well and he will continue to merit his place and we will still talk as warmly about him after the tournament in June as we are now, but there is no guarantee.

"I have been in football a long time and Wayne Rooney has been in football a long time. He would regard me as someone who is very false if I ever said to him your place is guaranteed.

"He would not expect it, and I would be very upset if anyone asked me to give them a guarantee of a place. No one else has ever done, and I would take umbrage if that day ever arrived."

give other more promising English players a chance.

Joachim

Alfrescian
Loyal

Bale 'ready to go' ahead of crunch Wales games

garethbale-cropped_1gevutxxz82511aead7iumb5i.jpg

By Dejan Kalinic

Oct 7, 2015 00:33:00

The winger has recovered from a calf injury in time for his nation's two final Euro 2016 qualifiers as they close in on a place at next summer's tournament in France

Wales star Gareth Bale insists he is "ready to go" ahead of his side's Euro 2016 qualifier against Bosnia-Herzegovina on Saturday.

The Real Madrid star has been battling a calf injury, but looks set to play a key role as Wales close in on their first major tournament in 58 years.

"The calf is OK," he said.

"I had a nice 20 minutes to open it up and get the legs going ready for the next two games.

"I've prepared well for the last couple of weeks doing my rehab. I'm ready to go."

Wales are top of Group B heading into the final two fixtures, sitting a point clear of Belgium and five ahead of Israel.

"We have been working hard for many years to be in this position," Bale added.

"We have all been playing with each other for six to eight years. The manager [Chris Coleman] has come in and been amazing."

SergioRamos

Alfrescian
Loyal

Ramos out of Spain Euro 2016 squad

sergio-ramos-real-madrid-la-liga_1l28y2129h4wu1s8ww5jvn1a47.jpg

By Daniel Edwards
Oct 6, 2015 13:01:10

The centre-back hurt his shoulder in a Champions League clash and will be replaced by club team-mate Nacho Fernandez for the fixtures against Luxembourg and Ukraine

Real Madrid defender Sergio Ramos has been ruled out of Spain's final Euro 2016 qualifiers, as the nation seek to confirm a place at next year's finals with a single point.

The Spanish Football Federation confirmed on its website that Nacho Fernandez had been summoned to replace Ramos, who reported for national team duty on Tuesday but was soon on his way home after consulting doctors.

The 29-year-old centre-back hurt his shoulder during a Champions League clash against Shakhtar Donetsk, an injury that was expected to keep him out for up to a month.

As he arrived to training, Ramos had affirmed that the final decision on whether he appears in the upcoming matches would be taken by the team medics.

"I am how I am, it’s an injury which needs four weeks and I would be coming back in just over two," he told reporters as he entered the Las Rozas complex, without any bags.

"Some people value that, others don’t, I am not looking for a medal but obviously injuries need a certain time that you have to respect.

"Sometimes you skip that because there are big games ahead and that is what the doctors and coach will have to decide."

ToniKroos

Alfrescian
Loyal

Deschamps: I won't sub Benzema

benzema-cropped_osq5ewh9rncx1erfa66fvvr3s.jpg

By Chris Myson
Oct 6, 2015 09:19:34

The forward has voiced his frustration at frequent trips to the bench this season at Real Madrid, but his national coach insisted that he should be playing the full 90 minutes

France head coach Didier Deschamps says he will not be taking Rafael Benitez's approach of regularly substituting striker Karim Benzema.

The striker has been been taken off in six of his eight appearances under the Real Madrid boss and admitted he was frustrated at making way for Mateo Kovacic in the 77th minute against Atletico Madrid last time out despite having headed his team into the lead.

Benzema, 27, is now with the national side ahead of friendly matches against Armenia and Denmark, with Deschamps full of praise for a man who has scored 25 international goals.

"I won't substitute him," he said. "Benzema is a team player, he is very important for us.

"He always wants to score with us, but scoring is not everything to him."

Despite rarely playing for the full 90 minutes, Benzema has still produced an impressive goal return having scored seven form his eight games in all competitions.

Joachim

Alfrescian
Loyal

Low: I can see why Liverpool want Klopp

jurgen-klopp_1w2o0ahkxo4xk190bknhx2ro0c.jpg

By Peter McVitie
Oct 7, 2015 16:09:15

The former Borussia Dortmund boss has been heavily linked with the vacant job at Anfield and the Germany coach believes it would be a good move for the club

Joachim Low says it makes sense for Liverpool to have Jurgen Klopp at the top of their list of candidates as they look to replace Brendan Rodgers.

The Northern Irish coach was dismissed from his role at the Anfield club after Sunday's 1-1 draw against Everton and ex-Borussia Dortmund coach Klopp has been the favourite to replace him.

And Low says it is natural for the Reds to pursue his compatriot and believes he would succeed on Merseyside.

"I can see exactly why Liverpool want Klopp," the Germany coach told reporters ahead of their upcoming Euro 2016 qualifier against Ireland.

"He would be a great addition to any team."

Germany need just one point to secure qualification for next summer's tournament but Low is targeting three points as they look to finish top of Group D.

"We expect a team that knows how to defend very well," he said.

"We played Ireland several times over the last years and it was never easy. Yes, we won 6-1 once, but the rest were tough matches.

"I consider them stronger physically and offensively than Scotland. They can make it hard on their opponents and they know how to defend between the spaces.

"We know their mentality, they fight until the very last minute.

"We need to find our own solutions and we thought about it: How can we unsettle them and keep them away from the counter? If we manage to do that, we will win this match."

Marchisio

Alfrescian
Loyal

Insigne withdraws from Italy squad

lorenzo-insigne-italy_lryvv5g2japm1s89vv9oh689b.jpg

By Jon Fisher
Oct 7, 2015 15:30:41

The Naples-born winger will miss the two upcoming European Championships qualifiers after picking up a leg injury whilst playing for his club side on Sunday

Napoli forward Lorenzo Insigne has withdrawn from the Italy squad for the Euro 2016 qualifying double-header against Azerbaijan and Norway due to a knee injury.

Insigne sustained a knock to his right knee in Napoli's 4-0 win at AC Milan on Sunday and has left the training camp at Coverciano.

An Italian FA statement (FIGC) read: "The player - who has been resting since Tuesday as a precaution after a knock to his right knee in the match between Milan and Napoli - had improved, but was still suffering with pain in the joint.

"Insigne has today left Coverciano, and will return to his club for treatment."

Italy boss Antonio Conte has yet to announce if he will call up a replacement for a player who has impressed in recent weeks under new Napoli coach Maurizio Sarri.

The Azzurri visit Azerbaijan on Saturday before taking on Norway on October 13. They will qualify for the finals in France if they match Croatia's result at the weekend.

Joachim

Alfrescian
Loyal

The stat that will leave Muller, Ozil & Reus EMBARRASSED

2050862_heroa.jpg

Oct 8, 2015 22:15:00

Joachim Low's side suffered their second defeat in Group D as they were beaten 1-0 by Republic of Ireland on Thursday

Thomas Muller, Mesut Ozil and Marco didn't have their best evening as Germany sank to a 1-0 defeat to Republic of Ireland on Thursday.

Shane Long's strike in the 70th minutes secured victory for Martin O'Neill's side as the World Cup holders had a miserable night in front of goal - as summed up with the following stat...

2050832.jpg

Marchisio

Alfrescian
Loyal

O'Neill pays tribute to Northern Ireland players after Euro 2016 qualification

michaeloneill-cropped_gnqo5g7vdd0o1lgct07ppyhva.jpg

Matthew Rogerson
Oct 8, 2015 23:12:35

The manager spoke of his pride after guiding his nation to their first international tournament in 30 years

Northern Ireland manager Michael O'Neill acknowledged he is not completely sure how his side managed to qualify for the Euro 2016, but paid tribute to his squad for their achievement.

O'Neill's men ran out 3-1 winners against Greece at Windsor Park on Thursday as Steven Davis scored twice either side of Josh Magennis' first international goal.

Christos Aravidis' late finish proved scant consolation for the visitors, with Northern Ireland qualifying for their first international tournament in 30 years.

E0D3CA4E384113B04C1D212107DDD1F0.jpg

"The players were outstanding. Right through the team, magnificent," O'Neill told Sky Sports.

"It's a privilege to be here, I'm proud to stand here as their manager.

"How have we done it? I'm not really sure! We prepared the team well, players deserve the ultimate credit as they have to buy into it. We have confidence and belief which comes from winning games.

"This shows the potential of this team and of football in Northern Ireland."

46881621B993DB2A2C822324CBA89C15.jpg

Magennis' header shortly after the break came at an ideal time to give his side breathing space, with the Kilmarnock striker having previously plied his trade as a goalkeeper earlier in his career.

"I honestly can't put it into words. It came off my shoulder but I don't care," he said.

"We have been working on set-pieces all week, they are a big part of how we play. We may not have the best quality but we never give up.

"Once you have that fight you can be a formidable team."

Alaba

Alfrescian
Loyal

Mandzukic out of Croatia´s qualifiers

7 October 2015 21:55

924203header.jpg

Mario Mandzukic has been ruled out of Croatia's Euro 2016 qualifying fixtures with Bulgaria and Malta due to a hamstring injury.

Ante Cacic's men sit four behind leaders Italy and two back from second-placed Norway in third position in Group H. They will be looking for six points from their final two matches in order to avoid a potential play-off tie.

Mandzukic, 29, who has scored once in eight appearances during the qualification campaign, will not be able to assist his nation after the Croatian Football Federation (HNS) confirmed his injury.

"Unfortunately, he has picked up a hamstring injury. Today [Wednesday], we have reviewed it and conducted an ultrasound and according to the finding he will not be able to play in these two games," explained national team doctor Boris Nemec in a statement on the official HNS website.

"I think he needs another two weeks to begin full training, with a high percentage of certainty that there will not be a relapse.

"Of course, he was not happy with such news, but his health has to come first."

Croatia host Bulgaria in their penultimate fixture on Saturday before travelling to Malta for their final group match three days later.

Sturridge

Alfrescian
Loyal

Cruyff: Netherlands are painful to watch

johan-cruyff-130612_ii6raqdxj0411oy0d84pg3w0p.jpg

By Tom Webber
Oct 12, 2015 17:35:00

The Oranje icon believes the nation's third-placed finish at World Cup 2014 was a false dawn and that they are incapable of building strong attacking moves

Johan Cruyff has attacked Netherlands' style of play and says he found it difficult to watch aspects of Saturday's Euro 2016 qualifying win over Kazakhstan.

The Dutch must beat the Czech Republic on Tuesday and hope that Turkey lose to Iceland if they are to claim a play-off spot in Group A.

Despite a 2-1 victory in Astana, 68-year-old Cruyff lambasted the showing from Danny Blind's team, insisting that problems remain despite finishing third at the World Cup last year.

"Against weaker teams we seem unable to build well, so we cannot attack," Cruyff wrote in his column in De Telegraaf.

"Jeroen Zoet did not have to react to one shot, but had to clear about 20 balls with his feet.

"Netherlands completely lost control against Kazakhstan.

"It was painful that Robin van Persie, since coming on in the 87th minute, touched the ball once.

"The comments that Netherlands does not have good young players coming through don't make sense.

"It proves that the last World Cup was not properly analysed. People did not wonder how they had gone so far in Brazil.

"Things were back to normal for most after that somewhat surprising third-place finish. And now they are facing the consequences."

Sturridge

Alfrescian
Loyal

Depay & Van Persie row played down by Blind

memphis-depay-van-persie-cropped_bq46iaxaf2ek1n5fyth13odj5.jpg

By Stefan Coerts
Oct 12, 2015 14:01:04

The pair were understood to have clashed ahead of the win over Kazakhstan on Saturday, leading to the Fenerbahce striker being benched

Netherlands coach Danny Blind his dismissed suggestions Robin van Persie was benched for the Euro 2016 qualification win over Kazakhstan on Saturday due to a row with Memphis Depay.

Reports suggested the Fenerbahce striker was involved in an incident with the Manchester United winger ahead of the game and alleged he was left out of the starting XI as a consequence.

Blind has downplayed the significance of the row between the pair, insisting Van Persie started from the bench due to a lack of fitness.

"We have discussed what happened, but that had nothing to do with my decision," Blind told reporters ahead of the crucial Euro 2016 qualifier against Czech Republic on Tuesday.

"I felt that he was not fit enough to start. I think that's down to the fact that he has not played without pain for quite a while.

"He is pain free now and feels 100 per cent. But I want him to be fit enough to play the full 90 minutes. That's why I did not play him as support striker against Kazakhstan.

"He is fit enough for the match against Czech Republic, but I will have to make choices."

Van Persie came off the bench in the closing stages of the 2-1 win over Kazakhstan to earn his 100th cap, with some pundits suggesting his substitute cameo was a farewell gesture as Blind prepares to jettison the Fenerbahce forward.

"That is absolute nonsense," the head coach said.

"We had agreed that I would get him on if we needed a goal, but I also thought it was only logical to give him his 100th cap because the game was already decided.

"I had to wait for my third substitution for a bit, though. I talked about that with Robin and he understood me. I find it baffling that people don't get that."

Sturridge

Alfrescian
Loyal

Allardyce: I deserved the England job in 2006

sam-allardyce-cropped_3yrc1toxe51v1q18v8g6rup0m.jpg

By Tom Webber
Oct 12, 2015 11:06:00

The former West Ham manager believes he should have been preferred to Steve McClaren and revealed that he met with David Beckham to discuss the Three Lions position

Sunderland boss Sam Allardyce thinks he warranted the job as England coach in 2006 and hopes to be among the contenders when the position becomes available again.

Allardyce, then in charge of Bolton Wanderers, was linked to the role following the exit of Sven-Goran Eriksson, but Steve McClaren was instead appointed by the Football Association (FA).

It is a decision which still frustrates the 60-year-old, who agreed to succeed Dick Advocaat as Sunderland manager on Friday, but he hopes to get another opportunity of leading the national team in the future.

In an extract from his autobiography, serialised by The Sun, Allardyce wrote: "I should have got it and, as I'm a better manager now than I was then, I believe I should be in the running whenever it comes round again.

"That's not vanity or being full of my own importance. My track record entitles me to be considered.

"I'm ambitious and I still want the England job, but I have less chance now even though I'm better equipped to do it."

The former Newcastle and West Ham boss revealed that he went as far as arranging a meeting with David Beckham, then a Real Madrid midfielder and the England captain, to discuss his desire for the position.

"David said 'the next manager needs to have experience to handle Champions League and World Cup games', but I didn't agree," he continued.

"I got on the front foot and asked David to lunch in Madrid ... he could see I was serious and I think I left having convinced him I could do it.

"He said if anybody at the FA asked him about me he wouldn't have a problem, but he didn't think he would have a say."

Allardyce revealed he put together a Microsoft PowerPoint presentation for his interview in an attempt to impress the FA, only to be told the governing body did not have the facilities to accomodate his approach.

"I wanted to do a real knock-your-socks-off interview for the FA, so I put together a PowerPoint presentation which looked at every single detail," he added.

"There was nothing missing. Nobody but nobody was going to beat it. But then Brian Barwick, the chief executive, told me there were no PowerPoint facilities at the interview venue, so I had to print off hard copies for the panel.

"So much for the progressive FA."

Sturridge

Alfrescian
Loyal

Kompany to play for Belgium despite Manchester City reservations

vincent-kompany-belgium-usa-world-cup-07012014_jv7vfmt1utub1fy8imxu02c7b.jpg

By Greg Lea
Oct 12, 2015 09:47:56

The Red Devils manager insists that the centre-back is fit to play in Tuesday's Euro 2016 qualifier with Israel despite his club's concerns

Belgium manager Marc Wilmots insists that Vincent Kompany is fit to play in their final Euro 2016 qualifying match against Israel.

The Manchester City captain has missed his club's last five matches with a calf injury picked up in the Champions League clash with Juventus, with boss Manuel Pellegrini adamant that he should not be rushed back.

But Wilmots believes it will be beneficial for City for Kompany to take part in some meaningful action.

"Vincent Kompany has participated fully in training and without any problems," he said.“He has worked hard in training and knows his own body well.

“I’ve not been in contact with Man City myself but the club are kept up to date with developments. I think it will be good for Man City if Kompany gets some match time."

Sturridge

Alfrescian
Loyal

Real Madrid are not making Bale demands, insists Coleman

bale-cropped_7p7gvde48q1h1inantof2cufv.jpg

By Tom Webber
Oct 12, 2015 16:00:15

The Wales manager says he's under no orders from Los Blancos not to play the 26-year-old against Andorra and revealed a friendly against Cristiano Ronaldo's Portugal is a possib...

Wales are free to use Gareth Bale as much as they want in their final Euro 2016 qualifier against Andorra on Tuesday, Chris Coleman has insisted.

Despite losing 2-0 away to Bosnia-Herzegovina on Saturday, Wales sealed qualification to the tournament in France next year thanks to Israel's surprise home defeat to Cyprus.

Bale's club Real Madrid have already seen Karim Benzema and Luka Modric suffer injuries during the international break, but the Wales manager denied reports the Santiago Bernabeu side were angry at the prospect of the forward's inclusion for the final match at home to Andorra in Cardiff.

"There has been no demand from Read Madrid on if he starts or how long he will play," Coleman said. "Real Madrid have always been first class."

Coleman, reflecting on his side's achievement in reaching their first major tournament since 1958, said he would be happy to face Bale's club team-mate Cristiano Ronaldo and Portugal in a pre-tournament friendly as they bid to fill a vacant spot in their calendar for November.

"I am the proudest I have ever been in my life," he said. "It is my biggest achievement in football

"We need to keep pushing forward. We can always get better and need to keep pushing.

"Portugal would be a good one, but they could be part of a mini-tournament in Miami. If not, we would be interested [in playing them].

"We would want it in Cardiff and it is possibly a good time to go to the Millennium Stadium and play in front of a big crowd."

Neuer

Alfrescian
Loyal

Low: World-class Neuer saved below-par Germany

neuer-cropped_1hwy7lbfp0mge1ucbv7q07qjj2.jpg

Oct 11, 2015 23:11:25

The coach hailed his goalkeeper after the world champions needed a superb performance from him to claim all three points against Georgia

Germany coach Joachim Low paid tribute to the "world-class" performance of Manuel Neuer in their 2-1 win over Georgia on Sunday to seal a place at Euro 2016.

The Bayern Munich goalkeeper made three great saves in Leipzig – one of which came with the scores level at 1-1 – as the world champions made hard work of getting the point they required to reach the tournament in France.

Ultimately, a goal from substitute Max Kruse 11 minutes from time settled nerves after a tense contest had seen Germany waste countless opportunities to put the result beyond doubt.

Low was far from satisfied with the overall performance but did pay tribute to the saves made by Neuer to prevent his side from paying the price for their missed chances.

"We can draw the same conclusions as against Ireland," he told reporters.

"We have again missed three or four chances at the beginning and then came the frustration. From there, some errors crept in and we had big trouble in the second half.

"Manuel Neuer had to make two or three world-class saves to prevent us from falling behind. We are sometimes not attentive enough. Unfortunately, you have to say we have allowed a few clear chances at the back.

"In general we can be pleased that we have won the group and managed qualification, but we are not satisfied with the last two games. That is not our standard."