• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Of Sabah KK Quake, TKPS and its after shocks...

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Re: Responsibility And Accountability (Mt. Kinabalu)

A government’s job is to govern (i.e. to make and administer the public policy and affairs of a state). Singapore’s ministers are among the best paid in the world.

Surely they can thus be expected to be responsible and be held accountable when it comes to governance.

384164d32b5041b17e425d7d370519c7.gif

Tuayapeh

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

Let all your kids play with Barbie dolls and computer games better :wink:

Tuayapeh

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Re: After Quake Tragedy, Sabah Mulls Barring Mount Kinabalu To Climbers Below 15

Yeah, but falling off Mount Kinabalu should be deadlier than falling off a flight of steps.

Besides, a boulder may fall on you. I doubt a fat HDB heartlander auntie would come rolling down the stairs to flatten you.

I have read about a news few years ago that a man die when rolling down a flight of steps :wink: . If you are unlucky you might even die when choking on fish bones :wink:

xingguy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Re: After Quake Tragedy, Sabah Mulls Barring Mount Kinabalu To Climbers Below 15

Source: Liao Bo Tan Facebook

1545197_1665344513688714_5337974214559860925_n.jpg

Emotional Singaporeans proven once again

The best time to see how a nation respond is during a bad time. This Sabah earthquake is a good example with 8 dead and 2 missing. So many wanted to give their opinion of what this is all about. So much philosophies ... written by soul writers.

Did we miss the breakdown? Treat each point separately.

1) SCHOOL ACTIVITIES AND CLIMBING MOUNT KINABALU ARE 2 SEPARATE TOPICS

Of course it is separate. Having school activities is good, and Singapore with our "paper soldier" culture, it is extra good to do outdoor. But it is a separate topic to climb Mount Kinabalu.

It is already challenging to climb Mount Faber. Please respect Singapore's only mountain, at 105 metres tall, it is not so easy to climb.

2) COMPETENCE TO ROCK CLIMB AND TREK LONG DISTANCE IS THE RIGHT TOPIC FOR PRIMARY SCHOOL ?

It is not about Mount Kinabalu but should 12 year old rock climb and trek long distance? This is what the army prepares men at 18 yrs of age for. Even so in the army, soldiers die just climbing rocks and trekking long distance ... in our own soil ! Don't worry if you did not know, the cheng hu also don't want you to know.

The basic idea of the training are techniques to rock climb properly. Then learn to trek long distance with our equipment, food and water. If we get lost or injured, we are prepared and trained with first aid tools to help ourselves and others.

If a person survives an earthquake, or got lost in the jungle, or someone got injured ... the training will help determine who are the survivors. If training is sufficient to cover others, then no one are liabilities and able to cover each other.

12 year old children are liabilities, as they are not sufficiently trained on these skills and much less help others. Teachers are often knowledgeable on ... yes, subjects in class and not trekking and rock climb. Now even teachers are liabilities and they are not 12 yrs old.

I am army trained to be instructor and for heli-borne ops and cliff repelling. Am I confident to cover the ferrata route on Mount Kinabalu? I DON'T THINK SO. But I would not judge for more competent people, which some claim to be 12 years old.

3) MANY YOUNG VICTIMS ARE GIRLS

Opps ... was this missed? Not that young boys are better, but so many young girls are victims?

4) EARTHQUAKE IS ... WELL EARTHQUAKE

Look at the track record of earthquake from http://earthquaketrack.com/p/malaysia/sabah/recent

It does tell us that earthquakes do happen. Does it matter if you are young, old, competent, male, female, expert, stupid, mentally challenged or simply a four legged animal ??? Rocks and boulders just hit the body and kill.

Mount Kinabalu is definitely a place we should respect, and not take as a light hearted place to go. BASIC RULE, IF YOU WANT SAFE PLACE, DON'T CLIMB A MOUNTAIN KNOWN FOR EARTHQUAKE.

How to go for elections when Singaporeans are unable to breakdown the topics and judge for themselves.

EMOTIONAL SINGAPOREANS
This event has proven an emotional event with losses to Singaporeans. My sympathies to the victims and their families.

However it became a political tool to paint the whites being caring. Ahem ... Marketing done by our state propaganda of their gallant image.

Did we also miss the names of the victims are interesting mix of Singaporeans? But that for another time.

End of Article​

babuSingh

Alfrescian
Loyal

Those who think that ascending mt kinabalu is like climbing bukit timah hill ought to be shot in the head

virus

Alfrescian
Loyal

i am so happy these fap supporters get their life farked up and not a sign of remorse and support from their masters. instead, they are thrown to the pool of alligators and declared as irresponsible

xingguy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Source: Today

TUESDAY 9 JUNE 2015

Sabah quake: ‘Sorrowful’ atmosphere on mountain, says guide who led students on trip

22605548.JPG

Mr Mohamad Amin bin Mohamad Nor (right), 29, group leader with Camp Challenge who
led the trip with his mother at Changi Airport. Photo: Robin Choo

BY NG JING YNG
[email protected]
PUBLISHED: 4:16 AM, JUNE 9, 2015

SINGAPORE — Adventure guide Mohamad Amin Mohamad Nor, 29, who had led the fateful trip that the Tanjong Katong Primary School (TKPS) teachers and students made to Mount Kinabalu, had a recurring thought for the past two days as he stayed behind in Sabah to tie up the loose ends, including transporting home the trekkers’ personal belongings.

“What’s in my mind ... was it was me who brought them out (to Mt Kinabalu), I want to help to bring them all back ... Being the group leader who brought 39 others out with me, but I don’t have all of them back together with me … the feeling is just …” said Mr Amin, his voice breaking off mid-sentence.

Six TKPS Primary 6 students and one teacher were killed by the earthquake which struck on Friday morning. Mr Amin’s colleague, Muhammad Daanish Amran, 22, was among the fatalities.

Mr Amin, who was greeted by family and friends when he touched down at Changi Airport yesterday, was among three Camp Challenge guides who went on the trip with the TKPS trekkers.

He decided to return home on Sunday night to settle the administrative matters after completing his duties on Mount Kinabalu. Mr Amin, who has a decade of experience in guiding adventure tours, described the atmosphere on the mountain as “sorrowful”.

He can still vividly remember what happened when the earthquake struck. He had just finished helping some TKPS students — who were about to start on the Via Ferrata route — put on their helmets and harnesses, and had said goodbye. Back in his room, he felt the hut where the group was staying shake violently, and he ran out to the lounge area. “I was able to see a small part of the Via Ferrata (route) and there were big rocks rolling down. I knew the kids were already up there,” said Mr Amin.

Having little time to let what he saw sink in, he rushed back into the hut to ensure the safety of the other students.

Mr Amin said he will fondly remember the months of pre-trip training with the “energetic and lively” TKPS pupils. “I will still go along on such adventure trips in future, but taking along kids … I’m not sure … maybe,” he said. NG JING YNG

End of Article​

zookeeper

Alfrescian
Loyal

This guy is adventure guide.

Did the school get Licensed Mountain Guides?
I read that the minimum ratio under the regulation is 1 Licensed Mountain Guide for every 6 climbers.

Microsoft

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

frm Wat moi see...most of those who say ok...neber climb anything more then mrt escalator...:biggrin:

LEGEND

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Re: The star online: 10 students of Tanjong katong primary sch killed

None as despicable as the scums in white.

When was the last time (before the arrival of the "new citizens") do we have a day of mourning and lowering of the flag at half mast for major accidents.

Hotel New World Collapse, Sypros Explosion Accident, Nicoll Highway Collapse.

PAP and the state controlled media wins hands down when it comes to making political hay out of a tragedy.

Fantastic reply and done without any name calling.

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Re: Body said to be of S'porean student retrieved from Mt Kinabalu

Those steps are not for 12 year olds.
Perhaps, the MOE may wish to consider that a pre-requisite to participate in any future trek to Mt. Kinabalu, is that all participants must successfully complete the course at Outward Bound School.

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

I recall that I was age 17 when I attended the course at Outward Bound School ("OBS"), Pulau Ubin.
If the minimum age then, was 16, to attend OBS, I believe that it is unreasonable to expect 12 year olds to make that trip up Mt. Kinabalu.

mojito

Alfrescian
Loyal

I recall that I was age 17 when I attended the course at Outward Bound School ("OBS"), Pulau Ubin.
If the minimum age then, was 16, to attend OBS, I believe that it is unreasonable to expect 12 year olds to make that trip up Mt. Kinabalu.

Last time got 'hole-listic' education bo? In today's world, you must grab every bit of advantage you can get to stay ahead. That is how singapore can punch above our weight ok?

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Last time got 'hole-listic' education bo? In today's world, you must grab every bit of advantage you can get to stay ahead. That is how singapore can punch above our weight ok?

I am in my 50's, so that was almost 40 years ago, when I went to Outward Bound School.

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

PAP handled this incident very well. I am very certain that they just swung a couple of thousand swing votes their way. In a crisis, only PAP can save the day.

mojito

Alfrescian
Loyal

I am in my 50's, so that was almost 40 years ago, when I went to Outward Bound School.

Indeed as you said, it was eons ago. Very common now and not impressive any more. In today's world, to get a leg up, you need to seize every advantage, every opportunity you can to outdo those before you. That is how singapore can continue to punch above our weight! You know, like Manny.