• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Of Sabah KK Quake, TKPS and its after shocks...

theblackhole

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Re: The star online: 10 students of Tanjong katong primary sch killed

the photos of the dead were horrific.
they were immediately taken off ..
gory to say the least...

a damned great tragedy for Singapore.

Pek Kim Lui

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: Primary School Children Climbing Mount Kinabalu ???

the whole idea is absurd!!!
bukit timah or bukit panjang enuf leow!!................not enuf, go climb Westin lah

theblackhole

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Re: Primary School Children Climbing Mount Kinabalu ???

I think going to climb the KK is just a bit too much for our frail kids.

Well, hope we learn from this.

We should just stick to Ubin ,Tekong and the Southern Islands. And perhaps to our nearest neighbor West Malaysia lah.

My condolences to the families who have lost their children. What a tragic loss indeed. Damned sad.

virus

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: The star online: 10 students of Tanjong katong primary sch killed

the photos of the dead were horrific.
they were immediately taken off ..
glory to say the least...

a damned great tragedy for Singapore.

if glory, will ministar grace the closing ceremony and distribute goodie bags also.

Reddog

Alfrescian
Loyal
Why MOE ?

What are your excuses in sending 12 year olds (who should be preparing for their PSLE) to the wilderness and mountains ? You folks at the MOE are irresponsible.

Last edited:

DollarsNoSense

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: Why MOE ?

Its about achievements and KPI - "Wa your school very impressive ah, your students can climb mountains!" RIP to the dead but we seriously need to review MOE and its policies. Natural disaster to be blamed? Yes but not when you could avoid an expedition that is already DANGEROUS in nature. Is it a must?

Reddog

Alfrescian
Loyal

Its about achievements and KPI - "Wa your school very impressive ah, your students can climb mountains!" RIP to the dead but we seriously need to review MOE and its policies. Natural disaster to be blamed? Yes but not when you could avoid an expedition that is already DANGEROUS in nature. Is it a must?

Shameslessly importing foreigners to raise medal tally...
Exposing our children to danger (and now death) for the sake of "achievement and KPI"?

As Amos said: "horrible".

VTO VTO VTO

Last edited:

shiokalingam

Alfrescian
Loyal

Why did MOE allow children to climb Mt Kinabalu?

Mt-Kinabalu-640x425.jpg

Dear TRE,

I wrote the following comment on the MOE facebook but I am quite certain that it will not be posted hence I am writing to TRE hoping that your organization will start a new thread on the topic of Sabah Quake.

Here is the message I wrote on MOE facebook:

My heart goes out to the unnamed 12-year-old girl from Tanjong Katong Primary School who died in the Sabah quake during the school’s trip there.

I am saddened and at the same time furious that the school organized such a dangerous trip and MOE is allowing this kind of expedition.

How can little children at this age be allowed to climb such a peak? Will the school management and MOE please explain?

The public deserves the right to know what is going on and assurance that this sort of things will not happen again.

Sincerely yours,
Andrew Teo

I look forward to reading this new thread on the above topic at TRE soon.

Thank you,

Andrew Teo

* Submitted by reader

Editor’s note: Will also be writing to MOE to ask for clarifications on the matter.

http://www.tremeritus.com/2015/06/07/why-did-moe-allow-children-to-climb-mt-kanabalu/

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

You answered your own question in your first statement. If never meet KPI, how to get a good work performance review? And for the following year, you need to expand on your previous year's KPI. Start by climbing Mount Faber, then progress to Bukit Timah Hill, then on to Kota Kinabalu, and after that, gradually work your way up to Mount Everest. That's how KPIs work.

Dark Knight

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

MOE together with Mediacorpse has also team up to milk $$$ from the students.
Students have been tempted and even asked to buy Mediacorpse drama comic books and DVD "in the name of historical lesson" to sustain their showbiz business.
How many adults will be keen to read all those junk comics and watch those stupid DvDs?

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

A few years ago I remember reading about some community group of clowns who organised a run for those who survived a heart attack:eek:
Some poor "lesser mortal" died because he participated in this event & pushed himself too far.

Same thoughts about this ill fated trip. If you are going to put people in risky situations, bad things may happen. How do you expect minors who are only 12 year olds to understand the risks:confused: I doubt that the parents understood the risks when they signed those consent forms. They trusted the schools to look after their children.

I guess next time they will think twice before being so trustful:(

Equalisation

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

In my opinion, it is not suitable for 11 or 12 years old who lacks maturity compared to those in the secondary schools. The trail they took is quite dangerous for those their age.:o

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

What are your excuses in sending 12 year olds (who should be preparing for their PSLE) to the wilderness and mountains ? You folks at the MOE are irresponsible.

You have to ask what were the parents thinking when they signed the consent forms allowing their children to go climb a mountain. :wink:

During my school days, the most we did were an excursion trip to Johor, and camping at Riau Islands. Those were the most adventurous options overseas. I guess times have changed. :wink:

You know, someone could set up a 'confidence-building' leadership enrichment course for the kids and send them to the North Pole to wrestle polar bears. And I think some Sinkie parents would still allow their kids to go there. :biggrin:

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

In my opinion, it is not suitable for 11 or 12 years old who lacks maturity compared to those in the secondary schools. The trail they took is quite dangerous for those their age.:o

They lack the physical strength for climbing mountains. That's the age when girls start their monthly bleeding and boys start sprouting their cock hairs. Physically, they're still work in progress. :wink:

Equalisation

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

They lack the physical strength for climbing mountains. That's the age when girls start their monthly bleeding and boys start sprouting their cock hairs. Physically, they're still work in progress. :wink:

The point I want to make is that a primary school kid if compared to a secondary kid, cannot have the maturity to understand a situation fast enough and also the ability to respond thereof. In most sudden critical situations, they will just freeze.:o

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

Meeting KPI is more important. The school has been organizing this expedition for years and scored very well in their KPIs. This year is just very suay for them.

Equalisation

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Another significant point I want to make regarding the lack of maturity as they are 11 or 12 years old , is the fact that for the survivors of the trip, they will be scarred emotionally for life reliving the events and also the guilty syndrome of why they are alive. For secondary school students, I am sure they can cope much better. This is indeed tragic.:o

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

The point I want to make is that a primary school kid if compared to a secondary kid, cannot have the maturity to understand a situation fast enough and also the ability to respond thereof. In most sudden critical situations, they will just freeze.:o

Don't worry, the teachers are there to help. I'm sure they can cope. :wink::rolleyes:

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

since sinkies are so kiasi and over-protective of their kids, they may as well keep them in walled gardens surrounded by cushion, ensure they cycle with not 4 but 6 wheels on grassy patches, mummified them with life-saving floatation wear when playing in a tub, and bubble-wrap them when being cloistered in the children's playroom.

image.jpg