• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Amos too punished for the wrong reasons?

methink

Alfrescian
Loyal
Jailed Israeli soldier freed after pork sandwich scandal

June 3, 2015

JERUSALEM: An Israeli soldier who was jailed earlier this week for eating a non-kosher sandwich has been freed after the army agreed to release him following a wave of public pressure.

The soldier, who recently immigrated to Israel from America, was initially jailed for 11 days after eating a sandwich containing pork, which is forbidden by Jewish dietary law, public radio reported.

But news of his punishment spread quickly on social media, sparking a public outcry which prompted the army to revoke the punishment, admitting it had made a mistake.

“The bottom line is that we were wrong,” wrote army spokesman Brigadier General Moti Almoz on his official Facebook page on Tuesday.

“The punishment which was given to the soldier was cancelled and he will be released home,” he said.

“On the one hand, the IDF (army) will continue to keep kosher but we not poke our noses into soldiers’ sandwiches,” he wrote acknowledging there were tensions within Israeli society but saying the army had a “place for everyone.”

Public radio said the offending sandwich was given to him by his grandmother who lives on a kibbutz and who had offered to take his place in jail.

Army radio quoted one of his uncles as saying he was “stunned” by the decision to jail his nephew over the contents of his lunchbox.

Known as “kashrut”, Jewish dietary law bars consumption of certain foods such as pork and shellfish, and also prohibits the mixing of meat and dairy products.

Animals must be slaughtered ritually under the supervision of a rabbi.

As an official Israeli institution, the army is bound to respect such dietary rules in its mess halls.
- AFP

wendychan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
"The bottom line is that we were wrong,” wrote army spokesman Brigadier General Moti Almoz on his official Facebook page on Tuesday."

will big wigs here ever admit sincerely?

methink

Alfrescian
Loyal
This article reminds me of Amos. He was first remanded for a total of 18 days. Then a further three weeks. After which, RTC to follow?

I totally agree with his lawyer, Alfred Dowell that the punishments he is going thru is disproportional to his 'crimes'. The state does not seem or care to see that further punishments for this 16 year boy is truly draconian! In other words, it does not fit the crime!

tanwahtiu

Alfrescian
Loyal
It is now in the hands of AMK voters to sack LHL, glory days are coming to Singapore when LHL is sack by the people of Singapore.

This article reminds me of Amos. He was first remanded for a total of 18 days. Then a further three weeks. After which, RTC to follow?

I totally agree with his lawyer, Alfred Dowell that the punishments he is going thru is disproportional to his 'crimes'. The state does not seem or care to see that further punishments for this 16 year boy is truly draconian! In other words, it does not fit the crime!

methink

Alfrescian
Loyal
"The bottom line is that we were wrong,” wrote army spokesman Brigadier General Moti Almoz on his official Facebook page on Tuesday."

will big wigs here ever admit sincerely?

The big wigs are wading into deeper water. Since the time of the old man, they have been taught never to apologise. Can't see them pulling back.

Amos will go down in history as the ever youngest political detainee in the world. LHL and that obedient judge will be remember for this blunder for a very long time.

methink

Alfrescian
Loyal
It is now in the hands of AMK voters to sack LHL, glory days are coming to Singapore when LHL is sack by the people of Singapore.

Expect the clown prince to receive his comeuppance come GE2016. Amos case will further erode and stain what ever reputation he may have.

Early days still to GE. More twists and turns and mishandling of young Amos along the way!

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

The pap govt is clueless on how to deal with Amos.
He is not cowed by them nor seemed to be bothered with whatever sentence being meted out.
Going in too hard handed pap will kena backlash.
But they do not know how to shut him up otherwise.
Entire state machinery is snooked by a 16 year old hahaha bunch of fucktards.
As more see and learn from Amos.....pap small headache will turn into a bigger problem.

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

The WP should be posting videos to educate sinkees of LHL and his regime. Show how he bullies a 16-year old and made him the youngest political prisoner in the land. Amos Yee is no criminal but he is punished like a hardcore criminal, thanks to Lee Hsien Loong.

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Amos Yee: Singapore’s youngest political prisoner

Yesterday (2 June) I attended Amos Yee’s sentencing hearing at the State Courts at 9.30am. As you may be aware, Amos has refused to accept probation. The AG had asked for probation, presumably to save the PAP the international opprobrium for jailing a child who had spoken the truth about the late Lee Kuan Yew.

Instead Amos requested that he serve a jail term instead. After all he had already served a longer period in remand than the man who assaulted him received after automatic good behaviour. However the AG objected and asked the judge to sentence Amos to reformative training instead on the grounds that he was unrepentant.

For those of you who are not familiar with what “reformative training” is in the Singapore context, let me enlighten you. The regulations governing it can be found in the Criminal Procedure Code (Reformative Training) Regulations 2010. A person sentenced to reformative training must serve at least eighteen months but no longer than three years. However after release they will be under the supervision of a probation officer and must comply with any conditions imposed. Any breach of those conditions will result in six months additional sentence. This supervision lapses four years after the date of the original sentence so in the case of someone sentenced to three years reformative training the supervision period is one year but if the sentence is only eighteen months the supervision period is three years.

This is what an AsiaOne article had to say about reformative training:

Reformative training is a strict prison regime for young offenders. It consists of foot drills, counselling and education. Offenders spend at least 11/2 years behind bars. Upon release, they are placed under supervision, which includes wearing ankle tags that track their movements electronically.

The article was about how the courts deemed reformative training as a suitable punishment for young loan shark runners who would not be allowed the “soft” option of probation even for a first offence. However the runner in this case was 20 years old and in NS.

It revulses me that the court and the AG could somehow think that the punishment option for someone defacing and vandalising the flats of those owing money to loan sharks, presumably with threats of violence intended to intimidate the unfortunate debtors, and other violent young criminals is appropriate for a child like Amos.

I say “child” advisedly even though our law treats him as an adult when he reaches 16 despite not being allowed to vote till you are 21. Yet another inconsistency in Justice Kaur’s judgement was that she claimed to be protecting the youth of Singapore from being corrupted and depraved by Amos’s supposedly obscene image while she was treating Amos as an adult for the purpose of sentencing. Amos’s blog and video were clearly aimed at adults and viewed mostly by adults and not children.

I will get back to yesterday’s hearing. The queue for the public gallery was quite short, perhaps because the hearing was originally scheduled for 2pm but was then moved to 9.30am. Singaporeans do not like to get up so early. The atmosphere among the crowd was slightly flippant considering that it was a child’s future we were talking about. When I said that the Government was out to break Amos, some people said jocularly that he would be more likely to break the AG and the judicial system by his refusal to bend. A young man in a suit made some comment to the effect that unlike the “soft” West we treated criminals like Amos as adults from the age of 16 and that the “shackles” which presumably soft-hearted liberals like myself objected to were just cuffs.

After a delay while the prosecution and defence lawyers met outside the courtroom, Justice Kaur entered at about 9.50am. I expected someone older and tougher looking. Instead she looked quite slight and undoubtedly younger than me. She was extremely soft-spoken so it was very difficult to hear what she was saying. It was difficult to fit her image to her reactionary and inconsistent judgement.

The DPP argued that as Amos had not “learnt his lesson” and refused to agree to probation that a reformative training sentence was necessary. He said that Amos’s conduct and his decision to make the image and video public again demonstrated the need for rehabilitation and appropriate counselling. The DPP said a jail term or a fine would have no rehabilitative effect on Yee and would therefore not be “tenable, because we cannot be popping back into court every other day.”

The judge agreed with him and said that “Rehabilitation is the fundamental tenet of our justice system” and ruled that he be remanded for three weeks to assess his mental and physical suitability for reformative training.

Alfred Dodwell, Amos’s lawyer, argued in vain that Amos should be given a fine or a jail term equivalent to the time he has already spent in remand and pointed out quite correctly that Amos was being punished for a second offence for which he had not been tried.

At the end of the hearing Amos was taken into custody again. I saw his mother passing him a plastic bag which made me feel very sad.

There can be no doubt that in this case “rehabilitation” is just a euphemism. The PAP Government mean to break Amos’s spirit through a harsh regime that is worse than prison. They would like to show Singaporeans that anyone here who dares to challenge the official narrative will be harshly dealt with.

In totalitarian regimes like Communist China, the Soviet Union and Nazi Germany “rehabilitation” meant years of imprisonment in harsh concentration camps. Everyone remembers the infamous words above Auschwitz which said “Arbeit Macht Frei” which loosely translated meant “Work Makes You Free” which was meant to be a sadistic joke about rehabilitation.

I feel only a slightly milder version of this punishment regime is in store for Amos. He will be forced to work and if he refuses will likely be punished. I am concerned that reformative training may include caning if Amos refuses to obey the orders given to him by his captors. He has years of imprisonment to look forward to and when he is inducted into NS he will probably end up serving his time in a military prison. Lee Kuan Yew made countless racist remarks designed to wound the feelings of minorities and was commended globally for his wisdom and candour.

Even with his time on remand Amos has served more time than the man who attacked him. The reports said that he would not be with adult inmates. However since Amos is already being treated as an adult that seems just another example of the AG’s disingenuity. He will presumably be placed with the kind of hardened criminals who are normally considered suitable for reformative training. He wlll probably be bullied and may be sexually assaulted. Of course many comments from PAP supporters and LKY worshippers on the internet were that rape was much too good for him.

The PAP Government’s treatment of Amos is an international embarrassment to them and to Singapore. The PAP always justify draconian restrictions on our freedoms by saying we enjoy Swiss standards of living as a result. But I look around and I can see that we have neither, at least not for the bottom 80% of the population.

I have called Amos Singapore’s youngest political prisoner which has led to the usual fierce attacks from people saying that he was tried and convicted. However so was Nelson Mandela who received a sentence of life imprisonment for terrorism. Yet today no one would dream of calling Nelson Mandela a criminal let alone a terrorist.

I will end by letting Amos’s own words speak for him:

“Unless you do in fact relish in my misery, I hope both of you will be able to sleep at night, and live with the fact that right now, as it is written in the annals of history, my blood is on your hands.”

I am seriously concerned by those last words and worry that, if this harsh treatment of a 16-year-old that makes me sick to my stomach is not stopped and some compassion shown that Amos may do something that will indeed leave the AG, the judge and the PAP Government with blood on their hands.

Kenneth Jeyaretnam

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
When Amos is in Reformative Detention, let's assume that he is being tortured. Amnesty International should adopt Amos as a political prisoner of facist Lee Hsien Loon.

When Amos dies in detention, I hope youth in Sinkapore will rise up to overthrow the PAP regime.

methink

Alfrescian
Loyal
When Amos is in Reformative Detention, let's assume that he is being tortured. Amnesty International should adopt Amos as a political prisoner of facist Lee Hsien Loon.

When Amos dies in detention, I hope youth in Sinkapore will rise up to overthrow the PAP regime.

The day Amos is sentenced to RTC, this should be the time we all must raise the temperature to a deafening level. Not doing so may result in Amos demise.

And if he were to die in there, the overthrow of the evil PAP regime should be the resultant effect. We cannot let them go unpunished!

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Anyone remember Tan Wah Piow:confused:

He was helping some workers in a dispute & the PAP accused him for being a marxist. As a young person he was liable for NS & I read that he was going to be posted into an artillery unit where they could tekan him for 2+ years.

Expect the same fate for Amos. After his detention the PAP will probably continue to punish him during NS.

Tuayapeh

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

You have too much hope on sinkaporean youth !! :wink: don't forget sinkies are selfish they will not do anything for others , you die your own business :wink:

methink

Alfrescian
Loyal
Anyone remember Tan Wah Piow:confused:

He was helping some workers in a dispute & the PAP accused him for being a marxist. As a young person he was liable for NS & I read that he was going to be posted into an artillery unit where they could tekan him for 2+ years.

Expect the same fate for Amos. After his detention the PAP will probably continue to punish him during NS.

I believe Amos could avoid NS after his RTC incarceration. He may continue to post to show his defiance. The PAP would have no choice but to punish him again with RTC or prison. This could drag on until one side gives in.

In fact Amos should continue his defiance from Day 1 in RTC. What can the PAP do to him? Short of killing him, they would have to put up with Amos antics in there. Amos will set an example for all inside to stand up to the authorities.

I bet on Amos giving the authorities a hard time. He has the world's continual attention. Since the PAP started this, they have to end it amicably. I see only one winner in this... Amos!

methink

Alfrescian
Loyal
You have too much hope on sinkaporean youth !! :wink: don't forget sinkies are selfish they will not do anything for others , you die your own business :wink:

I wont want to read too much into this. Famous Amos, the youngsters who painted a block in Toa Payoh, two others who carried placards in front of the gate of Istana, etc give us much hope.

The misplaced belief of the papzis is that the power to govern is their birthright and no one else has a right to it in this country. But the winds of change are blowing in the cross currents of globalization and papzis realize now that they cannot take their hold on power for granted anymore.

Coming GE will give good indications.

Wunderfool

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
It is a joke to put Amos on the same platform as Nelson Mandala. One is a true freedom fighter and political activist and the other is a con artist who he , himself , has admitted that he is not politically savvy.

I am sure Bee Gees would love to dedicate this song to Amos :

I started a joke, which started the whole world crying,
but I didn't see that the joke was on me, oh no.

I started to cry, which started the whole world laughing,
oh, if I'd only seen that the joke was on me.

I looked at the skies, running my hands over my eyes,
and I fell out of bed, hurting my head from things that I'd said.

Til I finally died, which started the whole world living,
oh, if I'd only seen that the joke was on me.

Last edited:

MadrigalWheel

Alfrescian
Loyal
Amos Yee is the product of western self-radicalisation.

How else will a boy, whose family has never lived in the US for an extended period of time manage to fake an American accent?

Just like those SPG's who go on short holidays to AngMo countries over school holidays and come back with jiak kangtang, his accent is the product of countless hours of surfing on the net, aping AngMo culture and falling for the promise of "Freedom Of Speech". So many forummers mock SPGs as the very same cultural groupie that Amos Yee has turned out to be.

Too much youtube, and likely self-imposed solitude from reality. Likely to be so divorced from it, he actual thinks it is his god given right to stir shit and talk shit.

Well then, hope he finds out slowly and painfully that Accountability can be one mean bitch.