• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

How to stop Apple's text bug crashing your phone

Darknet

Alfrescian
Loyal

How to stop Apple's text bug crashing your phone: Support page reveals official workarounds for malicious Messages flaw

• Apple has posted an official support page detailing the workarounds
  • Steps include asking Siri to read unread messages, or using Siri to reply
  • Bug is spread by text containing specific English and Arabic characters
  • If iPhone user receives it when their handset's locked it causes it to reboot
By Victoria Woollaston for MailOnline
Published: 10:01 GMT, 29 May 2015 | Updated: 11:49 GMT, 29 May 2015

Apple is said to be working on fixing the bug that causes iPhones to freeze and reboot.

But in the meantime, it has posted an official support page explaining a number of workarounds that should restart the Messages app if it keeps continually crashing.

The bug was spotted earlier this week and is spread when a text containing specific English and Arabic characters is sent from one iOS device to another - including the Watch and Mac.

292C6EA200000578-3102136-On_its_support_page_the_tech_giant_said_people_can_unfreeze_thei-a-18_1432893018718.jpg

On its support page, the tech giant said people can unfreeze their Messages app by either asking Siri to 'read unread messages,' or using Siri to reply to the message (instructions pictured)

The message contains the word 'Power' as well as Arabic and Marathi characters and the Chinese character meaning 'redundant'.
It crashes the Messages app, and if an iOS user receives the text while their handset is locked the bug also forces their phone to reboot.

Unsurprisingly, the text message content is being shared on social media, with people complaining of being repeatedly sent the message by mischievous friends.

HOW TO FIX A FROZEN IPHONE

On its support page, the tech giant explained: 'Apple is aware of an iMessage issue caused by a specific series of unicode characters and we will make a fix available in a software update.

'Until the update is available, you can use steps to re-open the Messages app.'

These steps include asking Siri to 'read unread messages,' or using Siri to reply to the message.

After the user replies Apple said they should then be able to open Messages again.

Alternatively, while in Messages users can swipe left to delete the entire thread. Or tap and hold the malicious message, tap More, and delete the message from the thread.

Apple fan site MacRumours said it has tested the message and revealed it will crash any iPhone running the latest iOS 8.3 operating system.

On its support page, the tech giant explained: 'Apple is aware of an iMessage issue caused by a specific series of unicode characters and we will make a fix available in a software update.

'Until the update is available, you can use steps to re-open the Messages app.'

These steps include asking Siri to 'read unread messages,' or using Siri to reply to the message.

After the user replies Apple said they should then be able to open Messages again.

Alternatively, while in Messages users can swipe left to delete the entire thread. Or tap and hold the malicious message, tap More, and delete the message from the thread.

Because the characters used in the message are specific, most people will not experience any problems accidentally.

And anyone who does, was likely picked out as a target, by either someone malicious or by friends as some sort of hi-tech annoying prank.

291B1C2600000578-3102136-The_bug_was_spotted_earlier_this_week_and_is_spread_when_a_text_-a-19_1432893057300.jpg

The bug was spotted earlier this week and is spread when a text message containing specific characters is sent from one iOS device to another. The message contains the word 'Power' as well as Arabic and Marathi characters and the Chinese character meaning 'redundant' (pictured with the part of the message obscured)

Hey my Messages app won't open without crashing. Cool.
— Nick Pomes (@NickPomes) May 27, 2015

Send me the text message that turns my iPhone off and I will turn yours off by throwing it out of a window!!!! ��
— Karina (@karcoty) May 27, 2015

The text is only effective in crashing Messages and rebooting an iPhone if sent from another Apple handset running iOS. Apple fan site MacRumours tested the message and revealed it will crash any iPhone running iOS 8.3. A selection of angry tweets about the message are pictured

Thousands of people have taken to Twitter to share the text, as well as bemoan being sent it by tiresome friends.

Reactions range from anger, such as 'Send me the text message that turns my iPhone off and I will turn yours off by throwing it out of a window!' to fear: 'Someone sent me that stupid message that turns your iPhone off and it messed up my phone so I can't get in my messages. Someone help please.'

While some may find the prank tedious, the bug has panicked other users who have reset their handsets in desperation to get them working again.

I seriously thought something was wrong with my phone because it kept turning off, turns out it's that stupid iPhone message ��������
— crιѕтιano. (@esme__sanchez) May 27, 2015

Someone sent me that stupid message that turns your iPhone off and it messed up my phone so I can't get in my messages. Someone help please
— logan flitcraft (@loganflitcraft) May 27, 2015

While some may find the prank tedious, the bug has panicked other users who have reset their handsets in desperation to get them working again. It's not known who made or discovered it in the first place

It's not known who made or discovered it in the first place. However, there are some relatively easy ways to fix handsets.

Victims of the bug can ask the same person, via another form of communication, who sent them the malicious message to send it again - effectively cancelling out the bug.
This works well if it's a friend messing around.

They can also reportedly send themselves a message from a Mac computer, one via Siri or a picture message to reverse the chaos caused by the original text.

A Reddit user called sickestdancer98 claims the bug works because of how banner notifications process Unicode text.

'The banner briefly attempts to present the incoming text and then 'gives up' thus the crash,' he writes.

Last edited: