• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Dealing With Self-Radicalized Sinkies!

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
How should we deal with self-radicalized sinkies, who surf the internet and social media instead of reading the Straits Times, and get radicalized into hating a good government like PAP? Should the ISD step in and detain them indefinitely, or should they be rehabbed by the grassroots people?

I have seen a few good people go from loving PAP to hating PAP, after becoming radicalized by reading the trash spewed out by TRS, TRE and now, KNN News.

No reason to turn to violence over sense of injustice at events in Syria, Iraq: Religious scholars

SINGAPORE: Religious scholars have said that there is no reason to turn to violence if one feels a sense of injustice at seeing events unfolding in other countries, for example in Syria and Iraq. They made this point in response to the announcement from Singapore authorities on Wednesday (May 27) that a self-radicalised teenager was detained. Another was arrested for further investigations.

Muhammed Zahid Mohd Zin, 31, is part of the new generation of Islamic religious teachers in Singapore. He is quite familiar with the sentiments of young Muslim Singaporeans who are quite taken by what they read and see online.

'RESPOND FROM A LENS OF MERCY'

Muhammed Zahid, who is the head of Programmes for Disabled Muslims at the Religious and Educational League of Radin Mas (BAPA), said: "When something happens, emotions come in. Like when things happen in Gaza, things happen in Syria, as a Muslim I know you could feel a pinch somewhere and they feel they need to respond to all these things.

“And I think it is a good thing for you to respond. Out of humanity, you need to respond. So I believe this response should come out from the lens of mercy. You can choose to respond from the lens of hatred, searching for enemies, but I think you should shift that energy to see things through the lens of mercy."

He added that there are meaningful ways to make a difference. For example, he has travelled to places like Syria and Lebanon, delivering food aid and donations to victims of conflict.

Muhammed Zahid elaborated: “For now, they can channel their emotions to humanitarian work, they can do volunteer work. It is not necessary for them to be there physically. You can do great things for people outside even if you are in Singapore.

“You can raise funds. I have groups who raise funds for people in Syria. I have students who came in with thousands of dollars, they raise funds from their family and they know that when they give these funds, these funds will be in good hands and it will benefit a lot of people.

“You can do projects, programmes, awareness programmes, you can do great things. You can ask people to channel out their creativity. They are many ways you can channel your emotions.”

VARIOUS CHANNELS TO EXPRESS ONE'S GRIEVANCES

Dr Mohamed Ali, vice-chairman of the Religious Rehabilitation Group, noted: "There are channels (for) our youths to express their unhappiness, their resentment and grievances in many ways. For example, many of (our) youths believe that it is an obligation for us to help the oppressed Muslims in Iraq and Syria.

“There are organisations in Singapore, Muslim organisations … Mercy Relief, BAPA and many others including MUIS who provide channels for them to help in other peaceful ways. Not to be involved in violent activities, in that part of the world."

SELF-RADICALISED INDIVIDUALS HAVE WEAK RELIGIOUS GROUNDING: EXPERTS

Terror experts said self-radicalised individuals tend to have weak religious grounding. Young people are especially attracted to the slick online propaganda of Islamic State (IS).

Said Dr Mohamed Ali: "They feel that they have an obligation to perform jihad and it is an obligation for them to help Muslims at the other part of the world and also to die as a martyr."

This indoctrination has spread globally. In Malaysia, for example, a 17-year-old was among those recently charged with planning to carry out attacks at several landmarks in the capital. Malaysian authorities have arrested more than a hundred suspected militants since April 2013.

Dr Rohan Gunaratna, head of the International Centre for Terrorism Violence and Research at the S Rajaratnam School of International Studies, said: "This problem has to do with IS propaganda that is radicalising youths. It is happening worldwide. There are more than 90 countries from which people have travelled to join IS and it is a global problem that requires a global, regional and national, as well as a local, solution."

Experts Channel NewsAsia spoke with pointed to the need to step up youth engagement. This includes putting up content online to counter extremist ideologies, in ways that are creative and appeal to young people.

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/no-reason-to-turn-to/1878404.html?cid=FBsg

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
How do we get rid of the PAP and its followers like you?

I say ship them out to the Islamic State and let those crazies deal with them.

Devil Within

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
A good Muslim is a dead Muslim. Not such thing as moderate Muslim. They are just Muslim terrorist not awaken yet.

congo9

Alfrescian
Loyal
A good Muslim is a dead Muslim. Not such thing as moderate Muslim. They are just Muslim terrorist not awaken yet.

If i surf this forum and i got influence that PAP is the best. I start to bash people like Amos Yee up. Am i considered self Radicalised ?

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
I was radicalised by the PAP a long time ago. The effects have lasted till this day.

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
If i surf this forum and i got influence that PAP is the best. I start to bash people like Amos Yee up. Am i considered self Radicalised ?

No. If you support PAP, you are a responsible and rational voter.

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If ruffian Lee Kuan Yew is borned in """first world"""" Singapore, he will be summoned to court and sent to jail. Lucky he was borned in a Singapore where there was no election and managed to lead the uneducated coolies.

HTOLAS

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The Malays must really be no longer important to the PAPzis. In the past, criticism of the Malays was the preserve of:
  • LKY
  • very senior PAPzis
  • Malay leaders.
Anyone else saying anything 'sensitive' will be dealt at least a sever warning.

These days, even a noob-hasbeen like Calvin Cheng and a windbag like Rohan Guneratne can take wild swings at them.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
[video=youtube;ns6zaLir1Zk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ns6zaLir1Zk[/video]

NanoSpeed

Alfrescian
Loyal
I only love LKY and the opposition.

Will you arrest me?

"No one can serve two masters. For you will hate one and love the other; you will be devoted to one and despise the other." Luke 16:13

You can serve both LKY and the opposition.

Wunderfool

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
How should we deal with self-radicalized sinkies, who surf the internet and social media instead of reading the Straits Times, and get radicalized into hating a good government like PAP? Should the ISD step in and detain them indefinitely, or should they be rehabbed by the grassroots people?

I have seen a few good people go from loving PAP to hating PAP, after becoming radicalized by reading the trash spewed out by TRS, TRE and now, KNN News.

Maturity of thought and critical thinking is important to building a right mind. It is quite easy to be swayed or radicalized by views expressed in the social media if one does not make the effort to research the facts objectively and analyze issues critically.

Social media is a powerful influence on the mind, but unfortunately, its openness can be misused by unscrupulous party to plant extreme imprints on one's mind.