• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Inconvenient Questions: Trust in our own Talents & Relations with China

Goh Meng Seng

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
From IQ Singapore

When I first heard about IQ “Live”, I hesitated sending in questions and attending the recording session. I told the production coordinator that if there was going to be censorship for such forums, I would rather not waste my time. I was assured that there will not be any censorship and I am glad that it turned out to be the case. A progressive civil society should have more of such civil discussions or even debates over issues that may seem “sensitive” to those in power.

Featuring guest panellist Masagos Zulkifli, who is Second Minister for Home Affairs (as well as Second Minister of Foreign Affairs), most of the questions at IQ “Live”, held on 28 April, were quite “localised”; whereas my prepared questions targeted foreign relations, following up on an interesting question raised by Jack Sim of the World Toilet Organization on support of local innovation beyond Singapore.

I pointed out that unlike South Korea and Taiwan — whose governments have strong support for local firms when it comes to innovation and the creation of valuable technology and branding — Singapore lacks such support for local inventors and innovators. Unknown to many, besides Creative Technology (which had its first success in US’s Silicon Valley), we had a company called Fusion Garage that created one of the first tablets in the world called JooJoo. Unfortunately, the company closed down after running out of money. Today, we have a Singapore company that designed and created the first smart phone-watch; it was financed by Americans. Not forgetting that we have our very own outfit Trek Technology that created one of the first thumb drives in the world.

The point is, we do not lack innovators and inventors in Singapore, but we lack people — especially those in government — who have trust in our local innovators and inventors. While Minister Masagos rightly pointed out that Singapore is a brand that is internationally recognised as trustworthy, the irony is that our own government and investors do not believe in our own people’s talents, in their ability to innovate to make investments worthwhile.
I was hoping the Minister would provide more insight into how we can change such mindsets in Singapore but was disappointed. Personally, I think the root of the problem is the way we construct our economic structures, which encourage speculations in property investment through the concept of “asset enhancement”. Such an economic strategy inevitably shifted funds into speculation in the property market, which creates bubbles — this is not very healthy if we want sustainable growth.

Germany, for instance, has strict controls on property prices to prevent excessive property speculation and to avoid having too much funding go into unproductive speculative financial activities. To me, this is why German companies are more successful in engineering, where a lot of focus and efforts are put into innovations that greatly increase industrial productivity.

I sincerely hope that the ruling party will rethink the whole economic strategy for Singapore’s future sustainability in growth.
While talking about sustainability and even the survivability of Singapore, my questions also focused on the issue of our diplomatic relationship with China in post-LKY era.

From my perspective, China’s relationship with us, under President Xi Jinping’s new leadership, has shifted from warm, early relations to a “cold shoulder” era. They have persisted and started to build the Kra Canal across southern Thailand despite the fact that the returns on investments for such an investment were really mediocre at best. China insists that building the Kra Canal was for strategic reasons more than economic ones. Such a move would inevitably threaten Singapore’s position as the trans-shipment hub of Asia; it will have serious implications for our economic survivability, as seen in Cape Town when the Suez Canal was completed.

Moreover, since President Xi came to power, he has avoided paying Singapore a visit, even though he has visited some ASEAN countries like Cambodia, Indonesia and Malaysia, flying past our corridors without coming in. Analyses from Chinese analysts show that China is expressing unprecedented animosity towards Singapore, accusing Singapore of being America’s ally, who is in turn all out to sabotage China’s emergence as superpower. The PSA’s management of Gwadar Port at Pakistan (see controversy here[WS8] ), which was built by the Chinese, was seen by some analysts as a deliberate act of sabotage against China’s strategic plan to transport oil supplies directly from Middle East to China, bypassing the Malacca Straits, seen as being controlled by Singapore.

Such a change in Sino-Singapore diplomatic relations and the seeming animosity demonstrated by the Chinese may have adverse implications for our vast investments in China as well as general political stability for the region, which we rely heavily upon for our economic growth.
I was hoping to gain more insight from Minister Masagos on how the PAP government would deal with such sensitive but important problems of long-term survivability for Singapore. What are the political and diplomatic strategies or approaches in mitigating this problem we are facing with China? I was disappointed by the replies Minister Masagos provided. He did not address the fundamental burning question of the strategic approaches we will be taking to improve the current situation.

Despite the answers, I enjoyed the whole session, where I learnt more about the concerns of those people who were present via the questions they have brought up. It gives a politician like me important insight on what really matters to the ground people and intellectuals alike.

This article was written by the author in response to IQ "Live" with Minister Masagos Zulkifli and does not necessarily represent the view of Inconvenient Questions.
Have something to say or a story to share? Submit an article to us by sending an email to [email protected].

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
German Shepherd GMS took on Cocker Spaniel Masagos. Why not engage Dragon Loong? Surely a 2nd minister here-and-there is no match for a foreign policy and economics guru like GMS.

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Latest news - London School of Economics and Political Science invites GMS to be Emeritus Professor. GMS considering.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
the work on kra has not started, and so far it's only an mou between private parties. when it becums official, which may not even happen, then it becums more believable.

cocobobo

Alfrescian
Loyal
we trust talents from shitty places

. For me it's the multitude of mini-things: when you turn on an ipad on the subway and a couple of drooling twats blatantly lean over your shoulder to stare at the screen, the spitting and nose-clearing EVERYWHERE, the sheer retardness of forming a scrum at the subway door to get ON the train before anyone can get OFF, the horrendous 'customer service', going to restaurants and pretty much 50% of the time your order being entirely wrong, the littering - oh the littering. I've seen 6 year olds asking their mother where they can throw their rubbish, and the mother takes it off them and throws it on the street! Yeah, great example to set. The public pissing, the public shitting. The internet censorship, the complete disregard for laws, the scams, the pollution, the incredible amounts of food-scares. I'm almost scared to eat anything here in case it's fake, been sprayed with carcinogens and growth hormones, or fried in gutter oil. In what other country on Earth do people have such contempt for each other for the chance to earn a few extra kuai? The industry devoted to cheating here, I would NEVER hire a Chinese to work for me as I've seen firsthand the outright lies on CVs [resumes] and blatant cheating the majority appear to engage in to pass any type of exam or test. A Chinese friend of mine joined a major international accounting firm, went through 2 weeks of training that she didn't turn up for (a friend in her training group signed her in every day), then in the test at the end of training someone came in and gave them all the answers. Everyone in the group got 95%. And then she was complaining because the UK branch doesn't allow people to transfer freely from China to England. I wonder why... My own girlfriend had a mini-business in the UK writing undergraduate essays for Chinese overseas students, she also worked writing their entrance essays, CVs and Personal Statements for them to enter US universities. I almost feel sorry for universities who accept hundreds of apparently fluent Chinese only to find out they can barely string a sentence together in English and all their experience is made up.
I actually like the chaos of China, and I have a lovely girlfriend and some great Chinese friends here. Sometimes I'm really happy here, but quite often I fucking hate Beijing. I'm only still here because of work (my girlfriend's and mine). She's Chinese, and we'll both be very happy to leave when we finally do. I've lived in Korea, Thailand and Japan and all of them were better in most ways.
It's not all shit here, but there is a lot of shit.

tanwahp

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
GMS is way out again. Don't think innovation has anything to do with government's trust. Every country has its own populace mindset, for Singapore, being out of the box is not encouraged. Even for Taiwan - what innovation has it come up with after so many years?

Talking about China, it. The government is liberal by default because the country is too big, but all they had were copycats not innovators.

enterprise2

Alfrescian
Loyal
German Shepherd GMS took on Cocker Spaniel Masagos. Why not engage Dragon Loong? Surely a 2nd minister here-and-there is no match for a foreign policy and economics guru like GMS.

Just your typical talk cock hot air debate. None of them can influence in any way events that they r discussing!

jw5

Loyal
I clicked on this thread thinking it was about having trust and sexual relations with Talented China Chiobus. :o:confused::biggrin: