• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Govt To Use Law To Protect Name And Image of Old Fart From Commercial Use

xingguy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Source: The Straits Times

Govt to use law to protect name and image of Mr Lee Kuan Yew from commercial use

PUBLISHED ON MAY 23, 2015 1:33 PM

painting878e.jpg

An oil painting of the late Mr Lee Kuan Yew. Minister for Culture, Community and Youth Lawrence Wong said on
Saturday that the Government is in the early stages of studying how to protect Mr Lee's name and image.
-- PHOTO: LIANHE ZAOBAO

By Rachel Chang

SINGAPORE - The Government will use the law to protect the name and image of founding Prime Minister Lee Kuan Yew from commercial use and exploitation.

Minister for Culture, Community and Youth Lawrence Wong said on Saturday that this move was in response to concerns from the public - which he said the Government shares - that companies or individuals are trying to profit off the founding Prime Minister's name and image.

Mr Lee died in March, aged 91.

Speaking to reporters on the sidelines of a community event, Mr Wong said that the Government is in the early stages of studying how to protect Mr Lee's name and image.

It intends either to expand the Singapore Arms and Flag and National Anthem Act (SAFNA) - which regulates the use of these national symbols - to cover Mr Lee's name and image, or to write a new law.

SAFNA does not currently cover names, and Mr Wong said that his officials are looking to the example of other countries like New Zealand and Australia, where there are legal provisions over the misuse of names.

The list of names to be protected are then separately gazetted, allowing new ones to be added on in the future.

Asked for examples of commercial misuse of Mr Lee's name and image, Mr Wong cited "the company that tried to do the buns," as well as individuals and companies printing t-shirts or creating figurines that could be sold.

During the week of national mourning in March, local bakery chain Breadtalk sold a line of buns called "Lee bu kai ni," loosely translated as "can't bear to leave you," playing on Mr Lee's surname in Mandarin.

Breadtalk pulled the buns shortly after a public outcry, and apologised.

However, Mr Wong said that the use of Mr Lee's image in the design of the widely-used black ribbon of mourning, or in portraits that were sold for charity recently, were examples of what the Government was not opposed to.

"I think there is a very clear distinction between somebody who does it for charitable reasons, somebody who does it to pay tribute without making profit - and an individual or company who is specifically doing it for profit or commercial gain," he said.

But portraits of Mr Lee by Tianjin artist Ren Zhenyu - two of which sold for close to a million dollars earlier this month to raise money for charity - were also sold commercially by the artist's gallery.

"We are not saying it's banned or not allowed," emphasised Mr Wong. "It's just a restriction. Not a blanket disapproval, but approval is required," he added, making clear that the Government is still studying the best way to move forward on the issue.

End of Article​

zeddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
This move from the Pappies just took Cult worshipping to a whole new level... What happens if I renamed my dog Bongo to Lee Kuan Yew? Send me to jail? :rolleyes: :confused: :rolleyes:

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
As long as you don't use the law to protect LKY's name from satirical or insulting use, it is okay.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
This move from the Pappies just took Cult worshipping to a whole new level... What happens if I renamed my dog Bongo to Lee Kuan Yew? Send me to jail? :rolleyes: :confused: :rolleyes:

If you don't do it for a commercial purpose i.e. attempt to make money from it, it is perfectly okay to name your dog Lee Kuan Yew. Though that is quite an insult to your dog. Dogs are loyal. LKY is traitorous and treasonous. :wink:

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
I am hoping that Parliament will pass some form of blasphemy laws that would either jail people for misusing Ah Gong's name or picture, or allow the public to lynch some jerk-offs in public. Samsters who have been taking Ah Gong's name in vain should start to worry. I am also considering voting for the opposition should PAP fail to pass these blasphemy laws. The SDP or WP may get my vote if they promise to make Ah Gong's name and image sacred.

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If you don't do it for a commercial purpose i.e. attempt to make money from it, it is perfectly okay to name your dog Lee Kuan Yew. Though that is quite an insult to your dog. Dogs are loyal. LKY is traitorous and treasonous. :wink:

Good idea to name it LKY. No one can sue you if your dog bites someonr.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

But if your dog join the canine society name PA, it is a real honour to name your dog LKY!. To recap a story to remember a law case I have to study in the past....in which the defendant call the Duchess, a dog, Duchess won the case, in closing the defendant asked the judge, " I can't call the Duchess a dog, Can I name my dog "Duchess"...in which the judge said , "yes"...the defendant said to the Duchess " Good afternoon Duchess"....

So, sticking those stickers of Old Fart is not allowed now, right? or slapping another in the name of "国富“ is illegal also right? :biggrin:

theblackhole

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
like I said before
those legendary fartups peaheads birdbrains are full of disrespect and abuse
they should be hanged for their utter shameless evil posts curses and blasphemies
many of them are still here
some new ones but they remain fartup legends
useless and idiots who can only be cyberbullies
in real life they are nothing but wimps and garbage collectors