• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

another tour agency gone bankrupt...

songsongjurong

Alfrescian
Loyal
WB23-WAN-001-00.jpg

dancingshoes

Alfrescian
Loyal
why do you still need tour agencies when you have the options like

expedia.com - to book flights and hotels, some have packages even.

skyscanner.com - at your fingertips on the cheapest airlines.

NanoSpeed

Alfrescian
Loyal

A sunset industry populated by Chinese-speaking Malaysian girls from across the border.

I'm surprised that Asia-Euro can tahan until 2015.

dancingshoes

Alfrescian
Loyal
it's more likely the malaysian char bors are here to help book bus tickets to genting and cameron highlands. there is dime a dozen at golden mile complex.

A sunset industry populated by Chinese-speaking Malaysian girls from across the border.

I'm surprised that Asia-Euro can tahan until 2015.

NanoSpeed

Alfrescian
Loyal
Apart from the ease of booking flights and hotels via the Internet, I am just as surprised that Sinkies are still joining tour groups.

Why would anyone want to join a group ?

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Chan Brothers also had problems but made a come back. It will be easier for them now that there is less competition out there

dancingshoes

Alfrescian
Loyal
i think chan brothers have to bring their business online to compete, if not, they will also be out of biz. in current times, many sought for best prices on the internet, no more hassle of telephony inquiries, applies to all trades too.

dancingshoes

Alfrescian
Loyal
i mean to say that with google, i can find better deals with what chan bros can offer. i don't have a good reason to go straight to their site for my overseas trip.

unless i am some super VIP which with a phone call to the agency will be able to get me to the airport in an hour.

They do have an online presence & maybe that is why they are still around. :smile:
http://www.chanbrothers.com/

Last edited:

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
i mean to say that with google, i can find better deals with what chan bros can offer. i don't have a good reason to go straight to their site for my overseas trip.

unless i am some super VIP which with a phone call to the agency will be able to get me to the airport in an hour.

Some people don't even know how to use the internet & may need help like senior citizens. Some people may prefer the convenience of tour packages such as families. There are also those who don't have the free time & prefer to leave the details for someone else to do.

dancingshoes

Alfrescian
Loyal
you have a point, i know some seniors who'd rather use back their old good agency for reliability sake, but look what happened to asia-euro. i am sure most seniors have their own kids who are internet savvy, the kids 'd be able to do the price compare on their seniors' behalf.

Some people don't even know how to use the internet & may need help like senior citizens. Some people may prefer the convenience of tour packages such as families. There are also those who don't have the free time & prefer to leave the details for someone else to do.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Apart from the ease of booking flights and hotels via the Internet, I am just as surprised that Sinkies are still joining tour groups.

Some old folks don't want to travel alone. They want to travel with a group of other sinkies. You've probably heard stories about how some Sporeans can't do without their bottle of Yeo's chilli sauce:smile: They also feel more comfortable with a guide who understands the local culture & language.

If I was visiting China I would probably join a group because of the cultural differences :o
Since I prefer the freedom of a free & easy traveling, I will probably never visit China.

When I was visiting Salzburg I did join a local tour group because I wanted to visit the locations where "The Sound of Music" was shot. It was only a day tour & I have done the same for other cities like New York City, Frankfurt,....

xebay11

Alfrescian
Loyal

Those sites cannot put together a tour package, which many people still need.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
it depends on whether you wish your tour to be free and easy, guided, all-inclusive, mixed package, or totally packaged. for example, if i'm just booking flights for personal travel, i can use expedia, orbitz, hotwire or priceline. priceline has some of the best airfares. if i'm just booking hotels, i go to hotel.com. if i need one of the best guided tours in european destinations, i will use rick steve's. if it's a packaged tour in china, i will use sinorama. if it's a cruise off alaska, i will book directly with princess cruiseline. if it's a guided tour with a bunch of buddies in selected itineraries in specific cuntries, i will use gate1. if it's a trip to sg, i will book with sia. so many choices these days, and all are done online with no need to visit a travel office.

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

Because there are still many people who do not like to plan their holiday itinerary. They want others to take the lead, while they simply sit back, relax and just travel on a light mind.

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Some old folks don't want to travel alone. They want to travel with a group of other sinkies. You've probably heard stories about how some Sporeans can't do without their bottle of Yeo's chilli sauce:smile: They also feel more comfortable with a guide who understands the local culture & language.

If I was visiting China I would probably join a group because of the cultural differences :o
Since I prefer the freedom of a free & easy traveling, I will probably never visit China.

When I was visiting Salzburg I did join a local tour group because I wanted to visit the locations where "The Sound of Music" was shot. It was only a day tour & I have done the same for other cities like New York City, Frankfurt,....

Local tours like The Sound of Music comes with different markups, in the past, booking with youth hostels were the cheapest. Afterall, everyone eventually land up on the same coach that did the actual touring.

In Vic Australia, you may think that shopping around the big 4 different companies AAT Kings, Graylines, APT Great Sights offering the same tours will find you cheaper tours, not true, the prices are fixed except maybe Great Sights. Great Sights are cheaper than Graylines and if there are not enough tourists, you end up in a Graylines tour anyway, with people who paid more. On less popular days, coach sharing is common. Lazy Aussies!

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
it depends on whether you wish your tour to be free and easy, guided, all-inclusive, mixed package, or totally packaged. for example, if i'm just booking flights for personal travel, i can use expedia, orbitz, hotwire or priceline. priceline has some of the best airfares. if i'm just booking hotels, i go to hotel.com. if i need one of the best guided tours in european destinations, i will use rick steve's. if it's a packaged tour in china, i will use sinorama. if it's a cruise off alaska, i will book directly with princess cruiseline. if it's a guided tour with a bunch of buddies in selected itineraries in specific cuntries, i will use gate1. if it's a trip to sg, i will book with sia. so many choices these days, and all are done online with no need to visit a travel office.

Gate1 used to be cheaper, I introduced a number of Aussies to Gate1 and they were grateful for me helping them to save around $1000 for a 2weeks Eastern Europe tours compared to Australian brick mortar tour agencies, eg Beyond.
Best of all, the same inbound agent operate the tours, whether you booked via Gate1 or Beyond.
eg http://www.gate1travel.com/central-europe-travel/croatia-tours-15dcbsv15.aspx

As for Gate1 affordable tours, I have no comments and I will not recommend.

Last edited:

theblackhole

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
no company is immune to bankruptcy

no one agent is immune

fartlah the world changes

anything can happen

but pap is still the best
it will not go bankrupt