• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Dr Lee Wei Ling got her karate black belt at age of 16, confronted woman with gun.

zeroo

Alfrescian
Loyal
What I learnt from karate - by Dr Lee Wei Ling
I have always been a physically active tomboy.
By Secondary 1, at the age of 12, I had started training in swimming under Mr Neo Chwee Kok. He was a strict coach who believed in the theory of "no pain, no gain".
I like physical challenges and, as we trained with boys, to be able to keep up or even overtake them was something worth suffering for.
Soon after, my best friend in Nanyang Girls' High School persuaded me to join the Singapore Karate Association.
The majority of the other trainees were men. There were only three or four other girls and women. What the men did, we did too. But in sparring, we paired up with female trainees where possible.
Occasionally, there was an odd number of female trainees, and one would spar with a man.
Though we could hold our own, I sensed that the men probably pulled their punches. Not only were they physically bigger, but they were also obviously stronger.
I especially enjoyed training on rainy days when the dojo was wet and slippery. Then our Japanese sensei would take all of us running. I always outran the men and had to hold back to make sure I remained with the rest of the group.
There were regular gradings and I moved through them until, at age 15, in Secondary 4, I passed my grading for black belt first dan.
I found the Straits Times newspaper clipping on this. The headline was "Her tough exterior hides a feminine touch", describing how concerned I was when another trainee was injured and bled. I have not the slightest memory of this.
At grading time, one concentrates on one's karate moves. I have always been very intense in anything I do, and can block out all thoughts except those relevant to the present challenge.
I got my black belt and continued to train at the Singapore Karate Association.
Once when I was in Pre-U 1, while sparring with my best friend, I blocked a kick with my left hand, but was slightly off the mark.
My friend's foot struck my clenched fist on the knuckles instead. There was immediate pain, but I have always had a high pain threshold, and continued until the training session was over.
Looking carefully at my hand later, I saw a protrusion - probably a bone had fractured and two fractured pieces formed an angle.
When I got home, I showed my hand to my mother, and she was quite upset. She managed to get an orthopaedic surgeon at the Singapore General Hospital to see me.
An X-ray confirmed the fracture, but I did not need a plaster cast. My arm was placed in a sling just to avoid unnecessary jolting.
Mama insisted I stop karate. I did not argue with her as I was in an officer cadet course for school army cadets, and was still training in swimming and long-distance running.
With my plan to enter medical school, and hence the need to do well in my A-level exams, some extra-curricular activity had to be given up.
What was the consequence of my four years of karate training?
To Mama, it was the fracture. To me, as it was my left hand, the fracture didn't bother me much.
I was then in Raffles Institution, when it was in Bras Basah Road, and every morning after the flag-raising ceremony it was physical education. My choice for PE was running.
I usually overtook the boys running on the path surrounding the school grounds. The boys didn't like it. They liked even less being overtaken by a girl with her arm in a sling.
But I got more than that from karate. My mental and physical discipline, which had always been strong, got stronger.
Even if a physical challenge seemed insurmountable, I would tackle it, believing that mind over matter would win the day. Many times I won. Occasionally I lost.
But losing never dented my faith in mind over matter.
The other consequence of my karate training was the self-confidence that if I were physically attacked, unless the attacker was armed, I would fight back and might win.
With this frame of mind, I did some pretty reckless things, which included running around Central Park in New York before dawn so that I could complete my exercise routine before attending the medical meeting which had brought me to NYC.
Once, in a ghetto in Cleveland, Ohio, where I was the only non-African American, I refused to give an African American woman three dollars because I suspected that she would use the money for street drugs.
I refused even when she said she had a gun. I confronted her, waiting to tackle her the moment she moved. She was slightly taller and considerably more muscular than me.
Fortunately, a bus came by and I ran onto it. She grabbed my hand, but I yanked it away. She did not follow me onto the bus.
I have hiked alone multiple times, knowing I might get mugged, robbed or worse, but believing I could outrun or fend off any attack. I have been able to undertake many adventures alone without anxiety or fear.
I guess I have lived my life my way, and my training in karate helped me achieve that.
So what are the lessons I learnt? Enjoy life but work hard; no pain no gain; and, taking risk makes life more exciting.
I don't think this is suitable for people with a more sedate and cautious temperament, but it was right for me.
The hours in the dojo, sweating and feeling tired, were well worth the time spent away from academic activities. I would do it all again if I were young again, fracture or no fracture. Physical and mental discipline is crucial to surviving and enjoying life.
The writer is director of the National Neuroscience Institute.
The Sunday Times 18 Mar 2014

unclesam

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: Dr Lee Wei Ling got her karate black belt at age of 16, confronted woman with gun

please provoke his citizenship !!!!
how can a foreigner attack a child ????

Attachments

• Neo.jpg
    Neo.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 1,898

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Re: Dr Lee Wei Ling got her karate black belt at age of 16, confronted woman with gun

i tell you she can probably even out lift the men in her family today looking at her manly exterior and voice. That sissy gay loong would be beaten to a pulp facing her.

Guardiola

Alfrescian
Loyal

That explained her manly fuck face so what else has her nigger boyfriend done? :biggrin:

Jar Jar Binks

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

I guess that explains her ugly manly fuck face from her nigger ex-boyfriend. :biggrin:

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Her face alone would scare away any potential attackers.

Talk cock la where were her army of bodyguards in New York? She can go ghetto alone?

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Only in Sinkieland would the daughter of a tyrant get her personal musings column in a mainstream newspaper.

What is this? Sumiko Tan with more testosterone? :kma:

shittypore

Alfrescian
Loyal

Only in Sinkieland would the daughter of a tyrant get her personal musings column in a mainstream newspaper.

What is this? Sumiko Tan with more testosterone? :kma:

I dont noe i dont read the ShittyTimes but do readers really enjoy reading her post?

Kuailan

Alfrescian
Loyal

Quote:
please provoke his citizenship !!!!
how can a foreigner attack a child ??

Revoke his Citizenship Not "Provoke"

He provoke Amos by slapping him!

Where is John Tan why he has nothing to say about this guy who
is RC member of Tanjong Pagar???

Where's that running Dog Lionel De Susah ???

why he didn't he make a Polis Leeport againt Neo Gim Huah??

Last edited:

theblackhole

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

She writes beautifully with perfect English unlike the many retards and bird brains here who only use their vulval mouths and fart mindlessly.

shittypore

Alfrescian
Loyal

She writes beautifully with perfect English unlike the many retards and bird brains here who only use their vulval mouths and fart mindlessly.

She better do, u noe how much of tax payers monies to get her educated overses?

GOD IS MY DOG

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

aiyah she could get any colour belt she wants without even knowing how to tie the belt lah..........

anyway, who dares to fight with her when she looks scarier than Gollum ?

blackmondy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

How do you know she penned those words herself ? Her immeasurable wealth easily enables her to easily hire writers good with flowery language.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset

This shows just how brave and talented the Lee family are.

theblackhole

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

How do you know she penned those words herself ? Her immeasurable wealth easily enables her to easily hire writers good with flowery language.

aiyah don't insult the professor lah

she is one of the best paediatric neurologist around

intelligence is her gift and writing is only one of her many talents

don't be jealous ok

GOD IS MY DOG

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

aiyah don't insult the professor lah

she is one of the best paediatric neurologist around

intelligence is her gift and writing is only one of her many talents

don't be jealous ok

she got see patients meh...........she would scare kids to death.........kids will think Gollum is for real

xpo2015

Alfrescian
Loyal

Run away means confront?

You really can man your engrish.