• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Putin's tank designed to outclass West breaks down

VPutin

Alfrescian
Loyal

Putin's new tank designed to 'outclass the West’ breaks down

Russia’s state of the art T-14 Armata tank stops during final rehearsal for Saturday’s Moscow commemorations

_Russian-T-14-Arma_3294815b.jpg

One of the tanks moving on Red Square suddenly stopped while others drove away Photo: AP

By Our Foreign Staff
3:28PM BST 07 May 2015

A new Russian tank announced with much fanfare as superior to Western machines stalled during a dress rehearsal for Victory Day celebrations in Moscow on Thursday.

The T-14 Armata, making only its second public appearance, ground to a halt on Red Square, opposite Vladimir Lenin’s mausoleum.

Sergei Shoigu, Russia’s defence minster, was reportedly forced to approach the tank to find out what had happened; servicemen then tried to hook it up to another military vehicle and tow it away.

That attempt was unsuccessful but the tank finally moved off after an expert from the Urals factory - where it was made - took the controls, according to Alexei Zharich, the deputy general director of Uralvagonzavod, the tank’s manufacturer.

“Just imagine how worried the lads [crew] are, driving this new military vehicle for the first time,” he tweeted. “Their training is still continuing.”

Russian_tanks_3294820b.jpg

A T-14 tank with the Armata Universal Combat Platform, pictured during rehearsals for the Red Square parade (RIA Novosti/Getty)

He later deleted that tweet and wrote another, saying: “The Armata is fully operational and left under its own steam.”

Another military source confirmed to Russian media that the incident was likely due to driver error rather than a technical failure.

Air defence missile launchers, intercontinental ballistic missile carriers and tanks rumbled through central Moscow in a rehearsal of the military parade to be held on Saturday, when Russia marks the 70th anniversary of the end of what it calls the Great Patriotic War.

The stalled tank – which was stationary for about 15 minutes - was an embarrassment for the military. Dmitry Rogozin, the deputy prime minister in charge of defence, called the T-14 “a beauty” earlier this week, and Russian experts have been lauding its superiority to Western rivals such as the US Abrams and British Challenger.

The T-14 Armata is to be the main battle tank of Russia’s ground forces, and 2,300 are expected to be produced for the army by 2020. It has a remotely-controlled turret with an automatic weapons loading system and an armoured capsule for the three-man crew.

As a “combat platform”, the Armata can be also adapted as other tracked vehicles such as an infantry fighting vehicle and a self-propelled artillery unit.

Russian website gazeta.ru quoted an anonymous military source last month saying that the Armata had broken down twice during practice runs for the May 9 parade at the Alabino training ground near Moscow.

An estimated 200 pieces of military hardware and 16,500 troops are expected to take part in the parade.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
14 = 十四 = SURE DIE in Cantonese

Don't Putin have any Cantonese comrades advising him?

The_Hypocrite

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The USA is soo fucked now that the russkies and ah tiongs are developing better and more advanced tanks,,the yanks are still using the M1A2 which is a 80s designed tank which actually has a lot of drawbacks due to its high fuel consumption engine...and I think the usa is not manufacturing any new M1A2s. they are just refurbishing existing stock,,,and I doubt there is any new tank in development,,,however with more advanced drones and anti tank weapons,,,the tank is actually getting obsolete?

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
It doesn't matter what tank they build when russia's powerful anti armour RPGs can take down even the most powerful tank in the world the Israeli's merkava god's chariot tank with ease and efficiency and low cost.

xebay11

Alfrescian
Loyal
The USA is soo fucked now that the russkies and ah tiongs are developing better and more advanced tanks,,the yanks are still using the M1A2 which is a 80s designed tank which actually has a lot of drawbacks due to its high fuel consumption engine...and I think the usa is not manufacturing any new M1A2s. they are just refurbishing existing stock,,,and I doubt there is any new tank in development,,,however with more advanced drones and anti tank weapons,,,the tank is actually getting obsolete?

You answered your own question, the MBT is actually obsolete, no point having huge tanks these days which can be easily destroyed by man packed weapons. Like the battleship already gone the way of the do do bird.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
Its interesting how in this thread, people who have never even seen the inside of a tank come here and spew their bullshit on the obsolescence and ineffectiveness of the tank. Yet they never ask how come 2 of the most combat proven armies in the world, the US and Israel are still holding on to thousands of tanks in the face of these supposedly deadly threats.

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Its interesting how in this thread, people who have never even seen the inside of a tank come here and spew their bullshit on the obsolescence and ineffectiveness of the tank. Yet they never ask how come 2 of the most combat proven armies in the world, the US and Israel are still holding on to thousands of tanks in the face of these supposedly deadly threats.

Israeli tanks have already been defeated by Russian RPGs by Hezbollah commandos,thought we already had this argument before.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
Israeli tanks have already been defeated by Russian RPGs by Hezbollah commandos,thought we already had this argument before.

U haven't answer my question. If the Israeli tanks are such death traps. why haven't the Jews retired the lot of them?

xebay11

Alfrescian
Loyal

Who has never been inside of a tank before? You issit? Can't be me, as I am a veteran from one of the Armor Regiments and have definitely been inside of a tank before.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
Who has never been inside of a tank before? You issit? Can't be me, as I am a veteran from one of the Armor Regiments and have definitely been inside of a tank before.

U are from Armour and you say that tanks are obsolete? Bullshit lah. No one I know from Armour, (and that includes me) present or past will ever make that statement. More likely you are AI, trying to bullshit people that you are tankie.

Leckmichamarsch

Alfrescian
Loyal

the M1 is way ahead of its competitors that they are not the least worried...........
Putintank probably has skudai engine.....

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
I thot they sold a lot to SAF together wiht Mexican advisers.......AMX izzit?

The IDF has 4000 tanks, including frontline and reserves armour units. I am still waiting for some one here to explain to me why if the tanks are so obsolete and easily defeated by hand held anti tank weapons, haven't the Israelis retired or sold all of them?

Pirelli

Alfrescian
Loyal
The IDF has 4000 tanks, including frontline and reserves armour units. I am still waiting for some one here to explain to me why if the tanks are so obsolete and easily defeated by hand held anti tank weapons, haven't the Israelis retired or sold all of them?

I have 8000 tanks... play mobil :o

nkfnkfnkf

Alfrescian
Loyal
Russian military superiority over the west right now is 300%~500%

This new tank is completely driven by software. In near future, there will be no crew inside it at all. It first such main battle tank.

The parade driver is only temporary. He is not required on future combats.

Putin only needs to play video game console in Kremlin, and thESE tanks will win big victory for him anywhere, including SG.