• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Amos yee – a new divide

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
[h=1]AMOS YEE – A NEW DIVIDE[/h]
Post date:
3 May 2015 - 9:39am

The flutter of a butterfly has morphed into many butterflies fluttering in this island. When the fluttering of a butterfly is allowed to go flapping unrestrained you will get a storm brewing. The Amos Yee Incident has led to the gravitating of two groups, one hating him and wanting him to be lynched and another calling for understanding as he is just a wayward boy and needing guidance. When no one thinks it is right and prudent to tell the lynching mobs to back off, the mob went wild.

In the beginning there were the verbal threats of bodily harm to the boy, and this was followed by a man hitting the boy outside the court house. And there were applause from silly adults, supposedly responsible people, that the boy deserved it. And the icing to top up this comic tragedy of vicious attacks against a boy, a book store put up an insensitive tweet that went viral. I quote from an article in TRE on this,

‘Meanwhile, Popular bookstore posted an insensitive tweet on Twitter capitalizing on the “slapping incident” of Amos Yee.

It poked fun of Amos by putting up a picture of Famous Amos cookies and tweeting “Sorry you got slapped. Here, have some cookies on us!”.
Netizens were outraged and heavily criticised Popular bookstore. Many are calling for a boycott of the bookstore:… Facing a barrage of criticisms and calls of boycott, Popular bookstore later quickly put up an apology:

“It was a mistake that we accept and sincerely apologize for. We promise that we won’t do it again. #saynotoviolence”.
It has since deleted the insensitive tweet….’

The level of viciousness from the group against the boy, Amos Yee, is getting more serious and escalating. The voice of reason and compassion is also up a few scales to condemn those attackers. And the rest of those following this Incident are divided into two camps, one shaking their heads at how this is allowed to go on and on unrestrained, like it is the right thing to do, with approval from God, while the attackers behaving as if they are the righteous and godly people with God on their side. Come to think of it, when God is in the picture, who dares to go against God?

Everyone must be cowering in fear except some god fearing people that think they have the consent of god to do what they are doing to Amos Yee, the boy on the wrong side of god. What a heavenly divide this has become. And the storm is brewing, an act of God that nothing can be done to stop it except to hurry and evacuate to safety, away from the storm.

See nothing, hear nothing, say nothing and do nothing are the best things to do.

Which is the side of Darkness, which is the side of Light? Amen.

Below is a comment by a netizen, a father of 4 to Popular Book Store posted in TRE.

Trust et al:
May 2, 2015 at 1:52 pm (Quote)

Dear Popular Book Store
I am a father of 4, a Singapore citizen.
I saw your utterly reprehensible disgusting and outrageous Tweet making fun of Amos Yee, a defenceless teen who was viciously assaulted at the doorstep of our Courts. There was the image of a human hand in the gesture of slapping accompanied by the words ‘Hi 5′ and ‘Ouch!’. This clearly meant you were celebrating and even congratulating the assailant and feeling gleeful about the attack. To a 16 year old imprisoned as an adult and in handcuffs and ankle fetters after an assault, you offered Famous Amos cookies, clearly to taunt him.
This was a carefully designed stunt calculated to capitalize in a sadistic manner on the trauma and agony of a teenager. You clearly sought to gain cheap publicity since the tweet featured stationery which you sell!
Minister of Law Shanmugan has categorically stated that this horrendous violent act cannot be condoned.
The Singapore Kindness Movement (whose Patron is our Prime Minister) has denounced the vicious online attacks on Amos Yee which led up to this atrocity.
You are a company which makes its fortune selling textbooks, guidebooks and stationery to kids.
I cannot comprehend how you could stoop to such uncivic and barbaric behaviour when a young person is being victimized.
It is highly probable that conduct such as yours will lead to further violence against Amos Yee and will promote a culture of political violence and thuggery in Singapore.
‎I am ashamed as a Singaporean that an apparently reputable company like yours could stoop to such reprehensible cyber-lynching.
You have not apologized to Amos and his family. Instead you are resorting to PR gimmicks.
Many netizen have called for a boycott of your store and products. I think this is the least that you deserve!
Chua Chin Leng AKA RedBean
*The writer blogs at http://mysingaporenews.blogspot.sg/

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
When you have people & business that sucked up to the PAP for decades, it breeds that kind of culture, like Popular Book Store had become. If their founders was still alive...I bet, they would have sacked those involved on the spot...other than apology, have those responsible committed harakiri & come clean?

If this was any other country...or nearer here...they could protest over a cross...they would have taken down POPULAR sign board for this tweet...I will try not to buy from popular, unless I have no choices...as a mark of my own protest...

Every sensible Singaporean should start doing so...start a BOYCOTT POPULAR silently....there is unity in numbers..especially silent numbers...it will hurt sales...

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Indeed, I will boycott Popular Bookstore from now on. To be honest, I wasn't very impressed with their range of stationery and toys. Back in the day, even the Emporium department store had a wider variety.

This small bookstore in Jurong West needs your support.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Indeed, I will boycott Popular Bookstore from now on. To be honest, I wasn't very impressed with their range of stationery and toys. Back in the day, even the Emporium department store had a wider variety.

This small bookstore in Jurong West needs your support.

To be honest....lazy people go in there...like me sometimes, & the other thing is..rental killed all the neighbourhood stationery shops...I used to have 3 near where I live, bought from one for 2 decades..now all CLOSED..no choice but to head for popular at the mall nearby...

Confuseous

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
It is amazing that the reactions to young Amos has caused more than just small ripples.
The strong reactions of previously deemed rationale organisations (Popular) and people like
Bertha Henson show just how fragile is the "faith" that these people have in their beliefs.

steffychun

Alfrescian
Loyal
Amos Yee a new stupidity. Means that try an photoshop anyone you hate and give the excuse of freedom of speech.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
The reaction of sinkies towards Amos Yee for insulting LKY are exactly the same as the reaction of Muslims for insulting Mohd.

It shows an absolute lack of social and political maturity.

steffychun

Alfrescian
Loyal
The reaction of sinkies towards Amos Yee for insulting LKY are exactly the same as the reaction of Muslims for insulting Mohd.

the charge of insult to LKY has been drop. The offences are against Christianity and the "buttfucking" picture.

virus

Alfrescian
Loyal
amos is not the problem. the problem is pinkie. if there is true democracy, pple will learn to hear out alternative voices and opinion. FAP are learning that the political vacuum created by the old fart were obviously too big a blackhole, and pinkie to fit the shoe and trying too hard to absurd his power. Sinkieland is indeed about power crazy masters and minions.

syed putra

Alfrescian
Loyal

Insulting beliefs is a no no. More people died for their beliefs than anything else. They will resort to violence if humiliated. Its the same whethers its religion, ideology or race.

TracyTan866

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
When you have people & business that sucked up to the PAP for decades, it breeds that kind of culture, like Popular Book Store had become. If their founders was still alive...I bet, they would have sacked those involved on the spot...other than apology, have those responsible committed harakiri & come clean?

If this was any other country...or nearer here...they could protest over a cross...they would have taken down POPULAR sign board for this tweet...I will try not to buy from popular, unless I have no choices...as a mark of my own protest...

Every sensible Singaporean should start doing so...start a BOYCOTT POPULAR silently....there is unity in numbers..especially silent numbers...it will hurt sales...

Yes, unity of the just is important to fight against tyranny

TracyTan866

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
amos is not the problem. the problem is pinkie. if there is true democracy, pple will learn to hear out alternative voices and opinion. FAP are learning that the political vacuum created by the old fart were obviously too big a blackhole, and pinkie to fit the shoe and trying too hard to absurd his power. Sinkieland is indeed about power crazy masters and minions.

if pap is not what it is, wld Amos speak out against pap?

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
the charge of insult to LKY has been drop. The offences are against Christianity and the "buttfucking" picture.

Just that the PAP can frame this as merely a criminal case. On that basis, the other charges have no grounds as Famous Amos was comparing Lee CONs U and Jesus. Everyone can have an opinion on religion and they can voice it on Youtube.

Wunderfool

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

It shows we are very much Asian in our thinking. We are more on the side of preservation of Asian values ( respect for the elderly, respect for parent, religious harmony, racial harmony, support of our leaders, etc ) for the good of society.

The West may think, for example having gun is ok because people are mature enough to know how to use it correctly. Little they expect that this "freedom" can lead to massacre of children in school.

Tuayapeh

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
It shows we are very much Asian in our thinking. We are more on the side of preservation of Asian values ( respect for the elderly, respect for parent, religious harmony, racial harmony, support of our leaders, etc ) for the good of society.

The West may think, for example having gun is ok because people are mature enough to know how to use it correctly. Little they expect that this "freedom" can lead to massacre of children in school.

Do not confuse Asian value with stupidity, respect have to be earned not give away blindly .

zeebjii

Alfrescian
Loyal

Don't talk out of your arse. Religious harmony is asian value? racial harmony is asian value? How do you define asian anyway? By asian you mean chinese don't you?

Wunderfool

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Don't talk out of your arse. Religious harmony is asian value? racial harmony is asian value? How do you define asian anyway? By asian you mean chinese don't you?

Sure ... feel free to replace it with whatever 's value you deemed fit. This is just side-show. We should not digress...

The gist of it is that there is a social and political significance in preserving those values in a diverse society like Singapore.

Last edited: