• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Roy: The pap has caused many singaporeans to live in poverty

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
[h=1]ROY: THE PAP HAS CAUSED MANY SINGAPOREANS TO LIVE IN POVERTY[/h]
Post date:
27 Apr 2015 - 12:41pm

THE PAP HAS CAUSED 30% OF SINGAPOREANS TO LIVE IN POVERTY

From Yeoh Lam Keong's research:

"The Average Household Expenditure on Basic Needs (AHEBN) is a figure calculated by the DOS. This is a measure of minimum household expenditure on essential needs such as food, clothing, and shelter for a household in a one- or two-room HDB rental flat. The resulting figure is then multiplied by 1.25 to account for other household needs (e.g., transport, education). The most recent available AHEBN estimate, as of this writing, is from 2011, and calculated to be SGD 1,250 per month for a four-person household.

Yeoh Lam Keong, former chief economist of the Government of Singapore Investment Corporation (now known as GIC Private Limited), argues, based on internal reviews of the AHEBN measure, that the measure provides a conservative estimate of absolute poverty. According to him, the costs are not explicitly accounted for by the AHEBN measure, but are included in the multiplier of 1.25 (e.g., transport, education, medical costs). They tend not only to increase more quickly than the expenditures on food, clothing and shelter, but are also necessary for work, school and social activities. Take for instance the mobile phone: it is a very helpful item to have when seeking employment, but such an expenditure is only one of many for which the multiplier of 1.25 is meant to account. Furthermore, Yeoh points out that actual transport and medical costs are taken into account for similar measurements in countries such as Hong Kong and Canada, indicating that there are precedents for their inclusion.

He discusses other problems in Singapore’s AHEBN calculation. First, it does not take into account costs related to investments in human capital, in that there are no out-of-pocket education expenditures, or costs related to continuing education, training, and access to information and communication technologies. Such educational endeavors are necessary for minimal social mobility and so have a significant bearing on poverty. For example, if people lack the means to increase their levels of education, because they cannot afford the costs of education itself, or the related costs of transport, materials, etc., it is far more difficult to climb out of the poverty trap. Finally, by only including families in one- or two-room flats, the AHEBN calculation does not account for those families living in threeor four-room flats who are receiving social assistance. Overall, according to Yeoh, the AHEBN calculation likely accounts for only a fraction of those Singaporean families living in poverty.

Yeoh used the AHEBN range of SGD 1,250 to 1,500 per month, applied it to the 2011 DOS Key Household Characteristics and Household Income Trends 2011 report, and found that there were approximately 110,000 to 140,000 resident households that have great difficulty meeting basic needs.

According to Yeoh, if the AHEBN calculation were adjusted to include the costs of transport, education, health care, and the training necessary for social inclusion, it would likely reveal that the bottom 10 to 20 per cent of working households are struggling to make ends meet in a way that could be defined as a form of absolute poverty. The bottom 20 to 30 per cent of working households, according to Yeoh, are probably barely able to meet basic consumption and human capital investment needs but have little in the way of retirement savings, leaving them vulnerable to falling into poverty in their lifetime."Yeoh Lam Keong

SAY NO TO PAP

http://centres.smu.edu.sg/lien/rese...-poverty-and-unmet-social-needs-in-singapore/

Roy Ngerng
*Article first appeared on https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152908777964141&set=a.10150091...

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Roy has never seen real poverty.

Not being able to afford an iPhone is not poverty.

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
My family and I are not living in poverty. We didn't start off rich or well-connected. We became rich because of the good environment provided by PAP. The rest is up to us. We are a meritocratic society.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
My family and I are not living in poverty. We didn't start off rich or well-connected. We became rich because of the good environment provided by PAP. The rest is up to us. We are a meritocratic society.

Well said. I have added to your points.

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Roy has never seen real poverty.

Not being able to afford an iPhone is not poverty.

Where got mention of iPhone? Access to IT and communication is not access to iPhone.

First world country, we are. Yet the lifestyle of the majority of sinkees is 2nd world.

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

JohnTan ...you top 20 percent. We don't give a damn about you. It is the 80 percent. The 80 percent is made poor thanks to PAP policy, eg. PAP makan 85 percent of the investment returns from our CPF.

Meritocracy my foot! You join PA because you know that's how you can sarka your way up. So, what meritocracy are you bullshitting about?

winners

Alfrescian
Loyal
It is nonsensical and illogical to believe that a citizen can be impoverished by his country's policies. Success comprises 30% hard work, 30% luck with correct timing, and 40% networking with a sharp mind and decisiveness.

methink

Alfrescian
Loyal
It is nonsensical and illogical to believe that a citizen can be impoverished by his country's policies. Success comprises 30% hard work, 30% luck with correct timing, and 40% networking with a sharp mind and decisiveness.

Has the country's policies made us rich? Are we better off compare to five years ago? Are all winners? Or mostly losers? What do you think?

Last edited:

Sharkey

Alfrescian
Loyal
Country's policy definitely cause richness. Look at all the foreigner coming here! Even from rich country like OZ to keep their wealth safe. Every time a tycoon moves here the per head GDP and average income goes up by a few hundred dollars! How clever!!

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
JohnTan ...you top 20 percent. We don't give a damn about you. It is the 80 percent. The 80 percent is made poor thanks to PAP policy, eg. PAP makan 85 percent of the investment returns from our CPF.

Meritocracy my foot! You join PA because you know that's how you can sarka your way up. So, what meritocracy are you bullshitting about?

I was from the bottom 30 percent and rose my way to the top 20 percent despite not being a scholar, not being rich and not being well-connected. I did it on my own, thanks to the meritocratic environment provided solely by the PAP government. I only joined PA after I was successful and not before. My line of work is not related to PA, and I don't need my PA network to advance my professional career. Besides, I derive income from rental and dividends, all of which does not depend on PA. I can fark care what the MP or PA management thinks about me, which I admit is something that they don't really like.

PAP is the only solution because they provide a meritocratic environment for us to succeed. That is what made Singapore stand out from the rest of the shithole called ASEAN.

RealSingaporean

Alfrescian
Loyal
Without your parents, no matter how much PAP contributed to Singapore, you are nothing. Please don't worshipped PAP like God.

Conclusion, PAP cost 30% of family their offspring the opportunity to prosper.

So u all jin KNN talk without conscience.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
sg version of "poverty": over-indulge and leave behind a mess and huge left-overs. :rolleyes:

image.jpg

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I was from the bottom 30 percent and rose my way to the top 20 percent despite not being a scholar, not being rich and not being well-connected. I did it on my own, thanks to the meritocratic environment provided solely by the PAP government. I only joined PA after I was successful and not before. My line of work is not related to PA, and I don't need my PA network to advance my professional career. Besides, I derive income from rental and dividends, all of which does not depend on PA. I can fark care what the MP or PA management thinks about me, which I admit is something that they don't really like.

PAP is the only solution because they provide a meritocratic environment for us to succeed. That is what made Singapore stand out from the rest of the shithole called ASEAN.

Good night time story ...but when asked the detail, you can only talk in generalities because it is hard to make up a story with no real fact to draw upon.

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Good night time story ...but when asked the detail, you can only talk in generalities because it is hard to make up a story with no real fact to draw upon.

There are many of us who experienced social mobility upwards. How else do you think PAP can win so many votes despite having poor turnouts for its rallies? Most of the buyers for expensive properties are sinkies, not foreigners. The money comes from our upward social mobility thanks to PAP's leadership.

Most of us already decided to vote for PAP even before GE is announced.

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
how can? there's so much pork and lard. most ah nehs don't eat meat, especially pork, and most ah tiongs cook their own lice at airport outlets.

Pinoys love pork!
Our Ah Tiongs got two classes ...those paid by the sinkapore government and those who sell themselves. The former are the ones who created the mess at hawker centres. Free money from sinkapore government, they eat freely and wastes, no problem lah.

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
There are many of us who experienced social mobility upwards. How else do you think PAP can win so many votes despite having poor turnouts for its rallies? Most of the buyers for expensive properties are sinkies, not foreigners. The money comes from our upward social mobility thanks to PAP's leadership.

Social mobility, my foot.
Most of the scholarships go to sons and daughters of the upper class. This is entrenchment of the upper class, not social mobility.

Most of us already decided to vote for PAP even before GE is announced.
Of course the PA sycophants have already made up their mind. With the PAP in government, their rice-bowl broken mah.