• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Teo Soh Lung: AMOS YEE'S BAIL CONDITIONS ARE COMPLETELY UNREASONABLE

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
[h=1]AMOS YEE'S BAIL CONDITIONS ARE COMPLETELY UNREASONABLE[/h]
Post date:
20 Apr 2015 - 10:14pm

State Terror

Sixteen year old pint size Amos Yee missed qualifying as a “child” or “young person” by just a few months under Singapore’s complex legal system. He would have been granted anonymity under Singapore laws had he been just 16 and below. And so he is treated as an adult and is to be tried in an adult court even though he is not qualified to vote or even enter into a binding contract.

But even before Amos Yee is tried as an adult, he has already received unreasonable and unnecessary punishment by being led out of his house in handcuffs even though he did not attempt escape. And at the pre trial conference last Friday, he was also handcuffed and led out of Court No. 17 into the holding area for alleged adult offenders. I am told he looked terrified.

Singapore laws are not humane. In fact it is barbaric for a first world country. We still believe in corporal punishment and the death penalty.

In the case of Amos Yee, he is jailed even before he is tried not only because the bail amount of $20,000 is unreasonably high but also because an unnecessary and unjust condition that the bail be posted by his parents was imposed, at least initially. His parents did not want to bail him out and his friends who volunteered to be his bailors left the courthouse after being refused as bailors. It was only after they have left the courthouse that the condition for bail was varied. So poor Amos spent several days among alleged adult offenders. I am told he is banging the wall and going crazy. He is apparently autistic.

Why did the judge impose the condition that only Amos’ parents could stand bail? Amos is entitled to bail as of right because the offences he is being charged with are bailable. The judge has clearly forgotten the purpose for granting bail. Here I am looking at s.94 of the Criminal Procedure Code:
s. 94

—(1) A police officer or the court may impose such conditions as are necessary when granting bail or releasing the accused on personal bond under section 92 or 93.
(2) The conditions imposed in relation to an accused under subsection (1) may include the following requirements:

(a) to surrender any travel document in his possession;
(b) to surrender to custody or to make himself available for investigations or to attend court on the day and at the time and place appointed for him to do so;
(c) not to commit any offence while released on bail or on personal bond; and
(d) not to interfere with any witness or otherwise obstruct the course of justice whether in relation to himself or any other person.

Conditions for bail can only be imposed to ensure attendance of the accused person and prevent the obstruction of justice and commission of other offences. The choice of bailors is not the concern of the court. The consequence for any bailor if there is a breach of the bail bond is the loss of the bail amount. Whether it is the parents of Amos or his friends will not make a difference. So why did the judge impose the irrelevant and unnecessary condition? Was he creating more obstacles for Amos? Or was it a genuine mistake?
In my opinion, Amos Yee has suffered unnecessarily even before his trial begins. Being handcuffed at the time of arrest and after the pre trial conference and being granted bail with condition, resulting in his remand are wrongs committed by the State. The Attorney General is probably aware of all that is happening to Amos but he is deliberately turning a blind eye and deaf ear to his troubles.

It is terrible how this so called first world country treats its citizens. This is State Terror. It brings us back to the days when Singapore was governed by the
British.

=> 60%: OK!

Teo Soh Lung

*Article first appeared on https://www.facebook.com/sohlung.teo/posts/10205615154032012

Seee3

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Putting politics aside, it will be really sad if Amos is autistic because he is already quite old for intervention to be successful. Autistic usually have violent streaks and needs medication to suppress the hype up reaction they can get themselves into. For Amos, his persistent use of vugarities could be a display of such "violent" nature.

There is a very quiet and obedient child that I know, where no one would believe he is autistic, until one day, he bashed up the teacher for some silly remarks. Only after that and many tests did the parents realised that he is autistic. He is very obedient because his mother, who is very gentle, is his "minder" since young and he lessons to every instruction from the "minder". If we get to help up at MINDS, we will get to experience the strength and violent streaks of those giant autistic adults who are so strong and uncontrollable if they got angry and only their "minder" can calm them down. For Amos, he has no minder. It is a 24/7 tasks to gain the confidence and respect of an autistic child. Usually only the mother has that love and patience.

mojito

Alfrescian
Loyal
Ok wat. No more water torture like last time. Remand is the new detention without trial.

Leepotism

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
This is a very evil Leegime. Why can't they let go of a kid who rant against that late bastard LKY?

Sinkie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
This is how a country can push a young boy to join ISIS by the heavy handedness....

Administrator

Alfrescian
Loyal
Teo seems to have access not just into the blue gate but also any prison in Singapore. How she know he is banging on the wall? She is there too?

Patriot

Alfrescian
Loyal
Teo seems to have access not just into the blue gate but also any prison in Singapore. How she know he is banging on the wall? She is there too?

Are you daft? Or blind? She wrote: "I am told he is banging the wall and going crazy. He is apparently autistic." She is told, period!

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Why is the Pinoy treated so much lighter than Amos?

The Pinoy is an adult and capable of commiting those acts that he proudly proclaimed.

PAP protects foreigners and persecute sinkees.

blissquek

Alfrescian
Loyal
This is a very evil Leegime. Why can't they let go of a kid who rant against that late bastard LKY?

On hindsight, it is apparent that the PMO handle this case badly.

Now it is brought to the world attention on the detention and ill treatment of a kid being handcuffed and possibly child abuse.

And on the facts of that video, it is un-nice if there is a lengthy trail to prove that those statements are untrue. Statements like a despotic leader who strike fear among its citizens and income inequality. These are going to dent the Founder's father legacy.

They could easily hush and wrapped the case speedily with a very stern warning, fine or a probation order.

I just do not understand if they can give a twice repeat offender, Quan YiFeng a probation order for bashing an uncle's taxi, they could also easily give a probation order to a kid who made an insensible rant .

They may lose big time if the trail drags towards Election time.

yellowarse

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Vincent Wijeysingha:

I will say one thing and one thing only so as to avoid any Fabrications or Jason Chua or Calvin Cheng accusation (which will come nevertheless), that the concern we show for Amos is another nefarious SDP plot to take over the world or something:

Amos Yee is a CHILD.

Let me say it again so that perhaps it might sink into the minds of those who presume to pronounce on the subject:

Amos Yee is a child.

I am a social worker, trained in child abuse and the protection of children. I am probably one of a very few in the country who can legitimately say I've worked with some of the most difficult and troubled children ever created. In my experience, the minute you apply the criterion of logical or consequential thinking to the mind of a child, you have lost your way. Children don't think like adults; they don't reason like adults; they don't apprehend reality like adults.

The minute you understand this, you suddenly find yourself standing at the place which leads you to recognise that the "Amos Yee situation" is a political one, created by the PAP (the party, mind you, not the government) to manage the public reaction to Lee Kuan Yew's death. In a sense it is the ultimate insult to a man whose achievements even I say don't need hagiographical ministrations. Were he alive I venture he would be thorough insulted that his reputation needed to be defended from the badly-choreographed - though undeniably valid - criticisms of a teenager.

Oh, and by the way, Jason Chua and Calvin Cheng, our concern for Amos Yee wasn't instigated by the SDP. My friends in the party are too busy preparing for the General Elections...

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Only way out for him is to get certified as aspeger

If he had apologized in the first place nothing will happen he invited lhl to dance and he obliged n now he has to waltz with SG law like it or not.

zeroo

Alfrescian
Loyal
Vincent Wijeysingha:

I will say one thing and one thing only so as to avoid any Fabrications or Jason Chua or Calvin Cheng accusation (which will come nevertheless), that the concern we show for Amos is another nefarious SDP plot to take over the world or something:

Amos Yee is a CHILD.

Let me say it again so that perhaps it might sink into the minds of those who presume to pronounce on the subject:

Amos Yee is a child.

I am a social worker, trained in child abuse and the protection of children. I am probably one of a very few in the country who can legitimately say I've worked with some of the most difficult and troubled children ever created. In my experience, the minute you apply the criterion of logical or consequential thinking to the mind of a child, you have lost your way. Children don't think like adults; they don't reason like adults; they don't apprehend reality like adults.

The minute you understand this, you suddenly find yourself standing at the place which leads you to recognise that the "Amos Yee situation" is a political one, created by the PAP (the party, mind you, not the government) to manage the public reaction to Lee Kuan Yew's death. In a sense it is the ultimate insult to a man whose achievements even I say don't need hagiographical ministrations. Were he alive I venture he would be thorough insulted that his reputation needed to be defended from the badly-choreographed - though undeniably valid - criticisms of a teenager.

Oh, and by the way, Jason Chua and Calvin Cheng, our concern for Amos Yee wasn't instigated by the SDP. My friends in the party are too busy preparing for the General Elections...

Vincent then why you and M Ravi support to lower the sex consensus to 14 yr of age?

Leepotism

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
STATEMENT ON THE ARREST OF AMOS YEE

Post date:
21 Apr 2015 - 1:29pm

change_0.JPG

STATEMENT ON THE ARREST OF AMOS YEE
We would like to express our deep disappointment over the recent arrest of Amos Yee.

Singapore is an advanced and prosperous nation. We boast a highly-educated, literate and resilient population. We should allow space for people to express diverse opinions, and, if offended, engage in robust and civilized debate, without turning to the police or other legal avenues when disagreements arise.

And yet, for uploading a YouTube video deemed offensive by some, 16-year-old Amos Yee has been charged with sedition and harassment. For posting a rude drawing featuring two politicians, Yee is accused of distributing obscene material.

In his video, Yee makes comments that some deem offensive to the Christian community.
However, we would like to bring your attention to a petition, started by a Singaporean Christian. It says: “As ugly as Amos Yee’s words were, we forgive because Jesus loved us despite our own fallen spiritual state.”

The petition has 3000 signatures so far and can be found here: https://www.change.org/p/the-government-of-singapore-release-amos-yee
In addition, Singapore is a signatory to the United Nations Convention for the Rights of the Child (CRC), in which children—those under the age of eighteen—require particular safeguards and protections. Article 3 of the convention emphasizes that “n all actions concerning children, whether undertaken by public or private social welfare institutions, courts of law, administrative authorities or legislative bodies, the best interests of the child shall be a primary consideration”.

In instances when a child has been accused of infringing the law, Article 40 states that the child has to “be treated in a manner consistent with the promotion of the child’s sense of dignity and worth”. There is a need to take into account “the child’s age and the desirability of promoting the child’s reintegration and the child’s assuming a constructive role in society”. We note that when Amos was arrested, he was handcuffed in front of his parents and grandparents, and was detained by the police for two days. The mainstream media also wrongly reported that his mother had made a police report against him when no such thing happened.

The convention further advocates alternative measures for dealing with such children, without resorting to judicial proceedings. These measures include “[a] variety of dispositions, such as care, guidance and supervision orders; counselling; probation; foster care; education and vocational training programmes and other alternatives to institutional care”; they should also be undertaken “in a manner appropriate to their well-being and proportionate both to their circumstances and the offence”.

Singapore’s prosecution of Amos Yee goes against the spirit of the Convention for the Rights of the Child (CRC).

Yee’s opinions about the late Lee Kuan Yew—no matter how offensive to admirers of the former Prime Minister—should be viewed as opinions of an individual. A mature society is one in which people engage each other in rational discourse, not one which resorts to punitive action to silence those with opinions deemed disagreeable.

We call on the government to drop the charges against Amos Yee. Measures taken against Yee are disproportionate and heavy-handed and violate the fundamental principles enshrined in the UN convention Singapore has signed. They do nothing to help Singapore evolve as a country. Instead of fostering tolerance, they encourage the policing of thought and speech. If we truly aspire to live up to the democratic ideals of our pledge, we need to find more progressive, compassionate ways of dealing with differences in opinion.

Signed:
Shelley Thio, Jolovan Wham, Terry Xu, Roy Ngerng, Rachel Zeng, Kirsten Han, Jennifer Teo, Woon Tien Wei, Lynn Lee, Vincent Law, Martyn See

Community Action Network
The Community Action Network is a group of individuals and activists concerned about freedom of expression in Singapore. We came together because of Amos Yee’s case.
To sign this statement: https://www.change.org/p/the-singapore-government-drop-the-charges-against-amos-yee

Tags:

borom

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The fact that Teo Soh Lung ,a Christian who helped to set up the Geylang Catholic Centre spoke up for Amos shows he did not wound the religious feelings of Christians. Most people will understand he is only a kid .Did any Christian body file a formal complaint?-none as far as I can see.

Force 136

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Just because he had been forgiven does not give anyone the right to talk bad about any religion......................

This is one RED LINE no one should cross in Singapore......

methink

Alfrescian
Loyal
Just because he had been forgiven does not give anyone the right to talk bad about any religion......................

LKY wasn't forgiven by the Muslim community. How come he crossed the RED Line but nothing was heard anymore?

dr.wailing

Alfrescian
Loyal
LKY wasn't forgiven by the Muslim community. How come he crossed the RED Line but nothing was heard anymore?
According to Wikileaks, LKY called Islam a vile, toxic, poisonous religion. How is it that he wasn't charged for sedition?

kryonlight

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

This is the most idiotic statement of the century.

Anyone who takes part in a riot or engages in violence because of someone criticizing his/her religion should be shot by a stun gun and sent behind bars to repent.

Religions should be criticized and debated upon.

Physical violence is the only RED LINE no one should cross.