• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Is the Property Market really so Quiet ?

• Thread starter Deleted member 80916
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 80916

Really so bad ?
What does the agents do ?

Ascendas commercial used to be stuck-up, now ask outside agent to market the commercial.

How active, is the Johor Sultan, playing this property market ?

ZigZag

Alfrescian
Loyal
Really so bad ?
What does the agents do ?

Ascendas commercial used to be stuck-up, now ask outside agent to market the commercial.

How active, is the Johor Sultan, playing this property market ?

maybe the market is really bad.

sgcount

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes, the Iskandar market is really bad.

Think some of those who blindly rushed into the market especially in 2013 to buy properties there should be a little nervous now.

Attended a properties workshop and generally, it is agreed that the outlook for Iskandar is dim now and the next few years. Too much supply (no thanks partly due to the China developers like Country Garden coming in and build thousands of units) and the demand won't be there at least in the next 5-10 years.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
best is to do the legwork for yourself by going to jb and checking it out in person. take a day off and drive in with friends who already bought in, and they will give you their perspective as homeowners. at the same time, do your homework by picking places you want to see and not let your friends go all over the map. this is better than listening to hearsay. i was all piqued to commit in 2013 judging from all the "good" things sinkies have to say in this forum, especially in the jb folder. for me, one day's visit in 2013 was all i needed. it was fool's paradise, and i kept that to myself not wanting to offend my friends who showed me around. i felt sorry for them. and i could see they were trying to put up a positive and rosy spin. can't blame them. they went in like typical sinkie brainwashed lemmings. :o

RedsYNWA

Alfrescian
Loyal
best is to do the legwork for yourself by going to jb and checking it out in person. take a day off and drive in with friends who already bought in, and they will give you their perspective as homeowners. at the same time, do your homework by picking places you want to see and not let your friends go all over the map. this is better than listening to hearsay. i was all piqued to commit in 2013 judging from all the "good" things sinkies have to say in this forum, especially in the jb folder. for me, one day's visit in 2013 was all i needed. it was fool's paradise, and i kept that to myself not wanting to offend my friends who showed me around. i felt sorry for them. and i could see they were trying to put up a positive and rosy spin. can't blame them. they went in like typical sinkie brainwashed lemmings. :o

Err......1 day visit? How much can you see in a day? May I ask what's the main issue? Thanks.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Err......1 day visit? How much can you see in a day? May I ask what's the main issue? Thanks.

if you need more than a day to figure out what's wrong in jb, something's awfully wrong. there are signs that you need to prepare for: hardly any resident in mature developments, few folks in the malls, new shops and cafes in the open amenities areas are hardly occupied let alone having any customers, landscaping is non-existent except for the state of johor iskandar compound itself, walkways at new shops are narrow next to open longkang (still 5-foot way and why not 10-foot way?), no life, and the most telling sign of all not to invest there......tiong frenzy. the moment i came across humongous and ambitious development plans which were funded and dominated by tiong interests, i told my friends i had seen it all. "enough is enough, thank you very much!"

Funniman

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes, the Iskandar market is really bad.

Think some of those who blindly rushed into the market especially in 2013 to buy properties there should be a little nervous now.

Attended a properties workshop and generally, it is agreed that the outlook for Iskandar is dim now and the next few years. Too much supply (no thanks partly due to the China developers like Country Garden coming in and build thousands of units) and the demand won't be there at least in the next 5-10 years.

The real worries are for those investors who think "buy 2 get 1 free" or pay 10% downpayment and get 90% loan. There will be a lot of pressure after TOP. Actually Iskandar is doing nicely in 2012 / 2013 until someone get too greedy and bring in those Chinese developers. But for those who buy to have a home to retire, they have no worries. And the forex is making their homes much cheaper.

You only worry if you are trying to flip or trying to find tenants to pay for your mortgage. If you are earning S$ and using your JB house as a weekend home, who bothers if there's a glut or not? Afterall your hotel bills in JB would be almost the same as your monthly mortgage payments.

Vohkster

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
It probably seems quiet because idiots like cslong are now gone forever from the forums which is a good sign. In any case, we have seen too many developments happening at the same time within the last 6 months. The harp drop in oil price, increase in toll n VEP , GST n the obvious oversupply of condo units in JB. Like I said previously the China developers were the poster boys of aggressive n over the top marketing. They knew how to pander to Singaporeans exquisite tastes in condo development. But remove the facade n u will see its all smoke n lights. If its for your own stay. I think you will be fine. Come in for the weekend n spend some cheap ringgit and help prop our economy.

Funniman

Alfrescian
Loyal
KUALA LUMPUR, April 20 — Foreign investment in Iskandar’s anticipated economic boom and population growth has been punctured by a very different reality.

And Johor lawmakers have pointed out that the reality is demand in Johor has not caught up with the supply of premium residential and commercial properties.

Last week, Maybank Investment Bank advised investors to be cautious of the region due to an existing glut of homes in Iskandar, a situation it expects will be aggravated by a huge incoming supply this year and the next.

The bank expects property values in Iskandar will come under greater pressure over the medium term, especially with the value of property transactions in Johor having dipped by 33 per cent quarter-on-quarter in the fourth quarter last year.

“There is a misconception of the demand market here... there is a clear mismatch between supply and demand,” Johor Baru MP Tan Sri Shahrir Abdul Samad told Malay Mail Online.

“While there is an oversupply of premium properties, the demand however is for medium and low cost ones owing to peoples incomes,” he added.

Shahrir said it is only natural for developers of premium residential properties in Iskandar to be hardest hit by the dip in prices and secondary sales, as that was never the focus of the region.

“You have to be fair to Iskandar as housing was never part of its main draft. The crux of its investment was more on services, hospitality and manufacturing as well as allocations for small and medium enterprises (SMEs).

“The investments we are interested in are not housing and this is why we have called in Pinewood and Legoland to Iskandar. That is the main investment strategy but because of all these, foreign developers think there is a demand for their properties and that is not happening.

“This is what’s happening and they have to live with it. If they are willing to take the risk then we can’t stop them,” the senior Umno lawmaker said.

Johor opposition leader and Skudai assemblyman Dr Boo Cheng Hau noted that the number of residential projects launched in the state was done without sufficient supporting services or industries in place to make them viable in the near term.

The DAP leader said that the region is not yet able to accommodate a surge in tourism, nor is it able to fulfil the needs of foreign investors seeking to take advantage of Malaysia’s second home schemes.

“There will be a sustainable demand for properties here but not in the near future. It will take another five to ten years to see booms in economic sectors such manufacturing, service sectors and so on before there is a more steady increase of demand for properties,” he said in an earlier email interview.

DAP’s Kluang MP Liew Chin Tong stressed that the the rapid pace of property development in Iskandar has no real legs to stand, a situation that is not helped by the general slowdown in the property market nationwide.

“Johor is a case of killing the golden goose too fast, too greedily. The property market is not sustained by a genuine working population with income to support their investments, while borrowing rates are surging, awaiting the bubble to burst,” he said when contacted.

Umno’s Pulai MP Datuk Nur Jazlan Mohamed, however, believes the upcoming RM53 billion Pengerang Refinery and Petrochemicals Integrated Development (RAPID) project will provided the needed jobs and spending capacity to revive the region’s flagging property market.

“Property in Iskandar is experiencing a down cycle, but it (sales) will pick up itself once corporate businesses like RAPID kickstarts.

“Once corporations set up business in Iskandar, then things will pick up. When businesses come in offering higher job opportunities, only then will the supply (of residential property) be taken up. It (Iskandar) will not become a white elephant,” he said.

- See more at: http://www.themalaymailonline.com/m...eeting-poor-local-demand#sthash.5CFT6jUa.dpuf

RedsYNWA

Alfrescian
Loyal
if you need more than a day to figure out what's wrong in jb, something's awfully wrong. there are signs that you need to prepare for: hardly any resident in mature developments, few folks in the malls, new shops and cafes in the open amenities areas are hardly occupied let alone having any customers, landscaping is non-existent except for the state of johor iskandar compound itself, walkways at new shops are narrow next to open longkang (still 5-foot way and why not 10-foot way?), no life, and the most telling sign of all not to invest there......tiong frenzy. the moment i came across humongous and ambitious development plans which were funded and dominated by tiong interests, i told my friends i had seen it all. "enough is enough, thank you very much!"

As another Bro Malpaso mentioned, Iskandar's allure to Singaporeans has always been about cheaper retirement for Singaporeans, esp housing, food, utilities, transportation; while they rent out their SG HDB/condos. If one expects Iskandar to be as vibrant as Bangkok or KL, then one has to expect to pay KL/Bangkok prices. The maths is that simple mah.

As for "hardly any residents in mature developments", I am not sure what mature developments you have in mind, but personally I am finding the roads are becoming a bit too congested in areas such as Sutera Utama, Mount Austin, Permas Jaya and Johor Jaya (the really 'mature developments').

PS: In your 1 day trip, you may not have come across these mature Tamans. :smile:

congo9

Alfrescian
Loyal
As another Bro Malpaso mentioned, Iskandar's allure to Singaporeans has always been about cheaper retirement for Singaporeans, esp housing, food, utilities, transportation; while they rent out their SG HDB/condos. If one expects Iskandar to be as vibrant as Bangkok or KL, then one has to expect to pay KL/Bangkok prices. The maths is that simple mah.

As for "hardly any residents in mature developments", I am not sure what mature developments you have in mind, but personally I am finding the roads are becoming a bit too congested in areas such as Sutera Utama, Mount Austin, Permas Jaya and Johor Jaya (the really 'mature developments').

PS: In your 1 day trip, you may not have come across these mature Tamans. :smile:

Went Mount Austin last week, i drove in after shopping at Tesco TC.
On the commercial unit, a lot of them are still vacant. I don't know if it is good or bad. But the people visiting the place at day time is really low. Traffic is low.

RedsYNWA

Alfrescian
Loyal
Went Mount Austin last week, i drove in after shopping at Tesco TC.
On the commercial unit, a lot of them are still vacant. I don't know if it is good or bad. But the people visiting the place at day time is really low. Traffic is low.

Those units just gotten their CF right? I thought the take-up rate was pretty quick. The vacant units were those inwards facing ones, not those facing the roads. I was at this place a few week ago, and I find the new area quite vibrant.

http://www.awalkwithaud.com/2015/04...boutique-taman-mount-austin.html#.VTRh4D8frIU

As for low traffic, this is a shophouse area, so I feel we should be comparing to similar shophouse areas in daytime. In fact, I think the daytime traffic is lower at Grandstand, Upper Thomson, Joo Chiat & Katong shophouses?

winners

Alfrescian
Loyal
They will need to build up the population mass. Comparing the population of JB and Sinkie Land, it's like 2m versus 5.4m on almost the same land mass (including the immediate suburbs of JB). So, definitely, it won't be as crowded as Sinkie Land, especially on weekdays where most of the people have to work.

DCputeri

Alfrescian
Loyal
I do not think people in iskander want the place to be as congested as Singapore. Otherwise, they can never run away from the crowd. Suppose those SG retirees in iskander want space and peace.
They will need to build up the population mass. Comparing the population of JB and Sinkie Land, it's like 2m versus 5.4m on almost the same land mass (including the immediate suburbs of JB). So, definitely, it won't be as crowded as Sinkie Land, especially on weekdays where most of the people have to work.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

you got the wrong sinkie idea about "vibrancy". if i wish to live in jb in the suburbs, the bangkok or kl vibrancy is not what i would want. the purpose of retiring in a sprawling suburb is the green, quiet, and spacious lifestyle. yet, in such suburbs, one should find folks who are likeminded with leisure time, friendliness, consideration for others, shopping and groceries that cater to basic needs and fresh, local produce plus imported food and ingredients, and amenities and services that are well-staffed and in business. it doesn't need urban congested vibrancy like you'll find in sg. just nice quiet folks that can be seen, not necessarily heard. walking into the only cafe that is opened along a row of shops and restaurants that are mostly closed and vacant, and when seated, one finds himself the only customer around, don't provide the comfort and confidence one is looking for.

winners

Alfrescian
Loyal
If the restaurants and shops can only depend on a handful of patrons, I doubt they'll survive for long. An example are those eateries along Jalan Gangsa 1 in Kulai. It's a quiet neighborhood and I've seen them eternally changing owners.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
johor has land, a lot of nature and sprawling terrain. instead of proper planning and interconnecting several developments with water features, parks, trails, choices of golf courses, bike paths, tree-lined roads and amenity hubs in a seamless design, the whole place is so disjointed, disorganized, cramped, lacking character and charm. i went in thinking each development was like a master-planned community from brochures and online info provided, but upon visiting, the product wasn't what was advertised. with land and water, at least make use of that advantage and build a green, well-landscaped, flowing series of connected suburbs so residents can connect with nature yet enjoy modern amenities that are readily available. instead, there's no curb appeal, every house is too close to each other, there's too much concrete, and every house in the community looks the same - boring and devoid of character. and few trees. i'm looking for something like this.

image.jpg

Funniman

Alfrescian
Loyal
johor has land, a lot of nature and sprawling terrain. instead of proper planning and interconnecting several developments with water features, parks, trails, choices of golf courses, bike paths, tree-lined roads and amenity hubs in a seamless design, the whole place is so disjointed, disorganized, cramped, lacking character and charm. i went in thinking each development was like a master-planned community from brochures and online info provided, but upon visiting, the product wasn't what was advertised. with land and water, at least make use of that advantage and build a green, well-landscaped, flowing series of connected suburbs so residents can connect with nature yet enjoy modern amenities that are readily available. instead, there's no curb appeal, every house is too close to each other, there's too much concrete, and every house in the community looks the same - boring and devoid of character. and few trees. i'm looking for something like this.

View attachment 20729

Malaysia is not your cup of tea. Go back to Riverstone.
Pls don't waste time here. :smile:

Last edited: