• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Questions about London

SirRichard

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hello,

Are there any bros here that is familiar with London? I have a few questions to seek your advice:

1) Is it tough for us Asians to get jobs there ( mid to senior level roles) and what are the popular website for jobs ?
2) Is discrimination against Asian very evident there?
3) Bringing up kids, is it a good place to bring up kids , as in safety, education, healthcare?

The reason I'm asking is because I'm keen to find out the prospect of moving there, is it a good option comparing to countries like Australia, China etc.

Thank you for reading. Happy weekends!!

BillMurrey

Alfrescian
Loyal
To my thinking London is an amazing place to live, work, bring up children. The only fly in the ointment is property prices. Having a flat is an unaffordable luxury here. In the UK home prices have gone through the roof, exceeding pre-crisis levels already long ago. And I am not sure that this process is going to stop in the near future. According to https://tranio.com/
because of continuing population growth and increasing demand this bubble will not explode soon.

Tekkun

Alfrescian
Loyal
To my thinking London is an amazing place to live, work, bring up children. The only fly in the ointment is property prices. Having a flat is an unaffordable luxury here. In the UK home prices have gone through the roof, exceeding pre-crisis levels already long ago. And I am not sure that this process is going to stop in the near future. According to https://tranio.com/
because of continuing population growth and increasing demand this bubble will not explode soon.

London prices had somewhat cooled compared to 2012. I think zone 3 & 4 prices are still affordable around GBP 800 psf.
Zone 1 & 2 is around GBP 1000 psf above. Are you looking to invest there?

garlic

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
1) Yes, especially now after brexit with so much uncertainty
2) Yes, that's why brexit occurred, but all dare not overtly display discrimination against blacks, all other skin tones are fair game
3) Raising kids wise, London is a good place as education, healthcare are top-notch.

Just to let you know what to expect, many i know personally who went over two decades ago are what you call assimilated, having given birth to children there, went to church for many years at the same church with same priest. End up, their circle and group of friends are of the same skin tones and it is not for the lack of trying. They try really hard to broaden their circle and "diversify" so to speak. Just do not be offended when your children's classmates omitted your child from social gatherings like birthday parties, christening of new-born etc. You are still their friend and are all smiles and chatty when they see you, but they just prefer not to "hang out" with you. Blacks are almost always invited to all social events even when not as acquainted as you are.

Just that if you take such things personally, then UK is not the place for you. There will be incidents whereby some bitch will rant "This looks like the United nations" before moving to the next carriage of the tube and some ungracious social hate acts like cutting your queue and ask you go back china, "chinks" calls etc... Nothing that will endager your life, but makes the day somewhat unpleasant, sour and bitter. Your child will need to grow up and get used to such an environment on a daily basis, but it will make them stronger. Nothing is fair, there will be times when maybe a Belgian, OZ or Dutch new neighbour suddenly is more well-liked than you and more readily-accepted as part of the local community or pub mates while you tried really long to get into your mates' good side, dont fret over it.

If all these niggles are fine with you, i would say go right ahead and enjoy the benefits of the weather, things to see and do and if it gets too cold, travel to spain or portugal for holidays, they have the best weather year-round. Otherwise, the U.S might be more forgiving in these aspects.

Hello,

Are there any bros here that is familiar with London? I have a few questions to seek your advice:

1) Is it tough for us Asians to get jobs there ( mid to senior level roles) and what are the popular website for jobs ?
2) Is discrimination against Asian very evident there?
3) Bringing up kids, is it a good place to bring up kids , as in safety, education, healthcare?

The reason I'm asking is because I'm keen to find out the prospect of moving there, is it a good option comparing to countries like Australia, China etc.

Thank you for reading. Happy weekends!!

Grago

Alfrescian
Loyal
1) Yes, especially now after brexit with so much uncertainty
2) Yes, that's why brexit occurred, but all dare not overtly display discrimination against blacks, all other skin tones are fair game
3) Raising kids wise, London is a good place as education, healthcare are top-notch.

Just to let you know what to expect, many i know personally who went over two decades ago are what you call assimilated, having given birth to children there, went to church for many years at the same church with same priest. End up, their circle and group of friends are of the same skin tones and it is not for the lack of trying. They try really hard to broaden their circle and "diversify" so to speak. Just do not be offended when your children's classmates omitted your child from social gatherings like birthday parties, christening of new-born etc. You are still their friend and are all smiles and chatty when they see you, but they just prefer not to "hang out" with you. Blacks are almost always invited to all social events even when not as acquainted as you are.

Just that if you take such things personally, then UK is not the place for you. There will be incidents whereby some bitch will rant "This looks like the United nations" before moving to the next carriage of the tube and some ungracious social hate acts like cutting your queue and ask you go back china, "chinks" calls etc... Nothing that will endager your life, but makes the day somewhat unpleasant, sour and bitter. Your child will need to grow up and get used to such an environment on a daily basis, but it will make them stronger. Nothing is fair, there will be times when maybe a Belgian, OZ or Dutch new neighbour suddenly is more well-liked than you and more readily-accepted as part of the local community or pub mates while you tried really long to get into your mates' good side, dont fret over it.

If all these niggles are fine with you, i would say go right ahead and enjoy the benefits of the weather, things to see and do and if it gets too cold, travel to spain or portugal for holidays, they have the best weather year-round. Otherwise, the U.S might be more forgiving in these aspects.

Frankly, you are better off in this part of the World. Garlic has succinctly pointed out the situation you and the family will face, particularly the children. It maybe a decision you would come to regret. The "Grass seems greener on the other side" until you actually "see it".
I beg to differ on his rather generous view of the US, they are more direct in their actions and words. You should try to speak to the diaspora working and living in those locations you are considering before deciding. I would also suggest speaking to those with spouses who are married to a person of the same ethnic background as themselves. You would get a clear picture from them rather than if you spoke to those with Caucasian spouses where you would get a rather tinted view of how "wonderful life is there" which you may have experience here in the East where the Caucasian in order to "survive here" would have you in their circle of "friends".
Whatever you choose, good luck.

Last edited:

garlic

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Just across the channel... Yellow-skinned to them are all chinese.. muggers do not tend to look at IDs and they have no balls to mug blacks. IMO, the europeans now are really fortunate they have a rich history and really breathtaking views of their countries from the medieval castles to the numerous giant cliffs and atolls and stunning coastlines to attract tourist dollars. Otherwise, the behaviour of their people towards non-whites is really a turnoff. In economic terms, most big european cities are beggars, with many capitals running on deficit; Madrid is technically bankrupt, Paris is short of everything; police manpower, strikes, civil service etc. UK's infrastructure is 3rd world, their potholes are world-famous :p. But, i digress...

Chinese immigrants demand protection from Paris muggers
Chinese protest in Paris
Chinese protest in Paris CREDIT: BERTRAND GUAY/AFP
David Chazan, paris
21 AUGUST 2016 • 11:01PM
Thousands of angry Chinese immigrants demonstrated in a Paris suburb yesterday (Sun) to demand police protection from muggers who they say prey on them because they are seen as easy targets.

The death of a 49-year-old Chinese tailor after being badly beaten in a robbery earlier this month has lent new urgency to the long running complaint that Asian immigrants are systematically attacked and robbed in the French capital.

“The Chinese community is dying in silence,” read a slogan on a T-shirt splashed with red to symbolise bloodstains worn by one demonstrator, Maike Song.

He said he joined the protest in Aubervilliers to pay homage to Chaoling Zhang, the father of two who died on August 14 after being punched to ground in the north-eastern suburb that is home to some 4,000 Chinese immigrants.

People hold a banner reading "Security, Freedom, Equality, Brotherhood" during a demonstration in Paris
People hold a banner reading "Security, Freedom, Equality, Brotherhood" during a demonstration in Paris CREDIT: BERTAND GUAY/AFP
No arrests have been made over the attack.

About 100 Chinese residents of Aubervilliers have been attacked and robbed since November, according to the Franco-Chinese Friendship Association.

“It is because of prejudices that Chinese people are weak, docile and wealthy,” said Fang, a young female student. “I’ve been attacked three times in three years and my friends are suffering the same thing. Some have moved away from this area because of it. I don’t go out with a handbag any more.”

Community workers say many muggings are committed by members of other minorities living in the area, generally of Arab or African origin.

Paris officials corroborated the figures but declined to identify the robbers by ethnic origin.

Many Chinese immigrants own restaurants or shops and tend to be relatively well-off, but are often reluctant to go to the police. “Some victims have been illegal immigrants,” said Dominique Darden, a social worker.

The Chinese community of Paris has held other protests in recent years over the attacks.

“They happen almost every day because of poverty but it’s unbearable,” said a spokesman, Olivier Wang. “No one should have to put up with this.”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/08/21/chinese-immigrants-demand-protection-from-paris-muggers/