• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Witnesses at zara say esme's owners were agressive first

yellowarse

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
From the website of the Guide Dogs Association of the Blind:

“The Ministry of Community Development, Youth and Sports supports the use of Guide Dogs as another form of mobility guide for blind persons.”

To this end, there are two laws in Singapore that support the use of Guide Dogs: The Environmental Public Health Act, and the Rapid Transit Systems Act. Included below are the relevant extracts:

1. Extract of Regulation 29(3), (13) of the ENVIRONMENTAL PUBLIC HEALTH (Food Hygiene) REGULATIONS (Cap 95) permits Guide Dogs into food establishments:

(3) Notwithstanding paragraph (1), the licensee of a food establishment or private market may permit any Guide Dog accompanying a blind or visually impaired person to be brought into the dining or refreshment area or any toilet of the licensed premises if the Guide Dog is -

(a) kept under proper control;
(b) restrained from straying or causing annoyance or nuisance to any person or animal, or damage to any property; and
(c) held in a leash.

(13) In this regulation “Guide Dog” means a Dog that is specially trained to aid a particular blind or visually impaired person.

2. Extract of Regulation 8(1), (3) of the RAPID TRANSIT SYSTEMS REGULATIONS (Cap 263A) permits Guide Dogs onto public transport:

8. (1) No person shall bring any animal or other livestock into or upon any part of the railway premises. (3) Paragraph (1) shall not apply to a Guide Dog accompanying any blind person.

McDonaldsKid

Alfrescian
Loyal
From the website of the Guide Dogs Association of the Blind:

“The Ministry of Community Development, Youth and Sports supports the use of Guide Dogs as another form of mobility guide for blind persons.”

To this end, there are two laws in Singapore that support the use of Guide Dogs: The Environmental Public Health Act, and the Rapid Transit Systems Act. Included below are the relevant extracts:

1. Extract of Regulation 29(3), (13) of the ENVIRONMENTAL PUBLIC HEALTH (Food Hygiene) REGULATIONS (Cap 95) permits Guide Dogs into food establishments:

(3) Notwithstanding paragraph (1), the licensee of a food establishment or private market may permit any Guide Dog accompanying a blind or visually impaired person to be brought into the dining or refreshment area or any toilet of the licensed premises if the Guide Dog is -

(a) kept under proper control;
(b) restrained from straying or causing annoyance or nuisance to any person or animal, or damage to any property; and
(c) held in a leash.

(13) In this regulation “Guide Dog” means a Dog that is specially trained to aid a particular blind or visually impaired person.

2. Extract of Regulation 8(1), (3) of the RAPID TRANSIT SYSTEMS REGULATIONS (Cap 263A) permits Guide Dogs onto public transport:

8. (1) No person shall bring any animal or other livestock into or upon any part of the railway premises. (3) Paragraph (1) shall not apply to a Guide Dog accompanying any blind person.

It only says food establishments and public transport though, so Zara is not breaking the rules by not allowing her and her dog in.

yellowarse

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
this woman is not a good woman

On the other hand, if you knew Cassandra in person, you'd be struck by her warmth, compassion, competence and inspiring independence.

Blind from young, she has a Master's in Counselling from Australia and runs her own psychotherapy clinic at Tanglin Shopping Centre, after spending some years counselling youths and students with MCYS. Walk into her clinic and the first thing you notice is there's no staff there. Just her, and her dog. She does everything herself, from opening the clinic in the morning to registering patients to consultations to typing reports and referrals on her blind-friendly Mac (it 'speaks' as she moves the cursor) to SMSing appointments to patients on her Mac via her iPhone. After a day's work, she closes up the clinic herself. And she even does Skype counselling for patients who are abroad.

It's rare to find a medical/paramedical professional running an office without any assistant, much less a blind one. Being blind, she's also a very good listener, much better than your average sighted therapist, and is very sensitive to verbal cues.

If there's one person who has thoroughly debunked the PAP myth that the blind and handicapped are a useless bunch of people who do not contribute to the GDP but leech on society, it's Cassandra. She's more man (and woman) than all the cojones-challenged keyboard warriors here – combined – seeking safety in the anonymity that internet monikers provide.

Last edited:

McDonaldsKid

Alfrescian
Loyal
On the other hand, if you knew Cassandra in person, you'd be struck by her warmth, compassion, competence and inspiring independence.

Blind from young, she has a Master's in Counselling from Australia and runs her own psychotherapy clinic at Tanglin Shopping Centre, after spending some years counselling youths and students with MCYS. Walk into her clinic and the thing that strikes you is there's no staff there. Just her, and her dog. She does everything herself, from opening the clinic in the morning to registering patients to consultations to typing reports and referrals on her blind-friendly Mac (it 'speaks' as she moves the cursor) to SMSing appointments to patients on her Mac via her iPhone. After a day's work, she closes up the clinic herself. And she even does Skype counselling for patients who are abroad.

Being blind, she's also a very good listener, much better than your average sighted therapist, and is very sensitive to verbal cues.

If there's one person who has debunked the PAP myth that the blind and handicapped are a useless bunch of people who do not contribute to the GDP but leech on society, it's Cassandra. She's more man (and woman) than all the keyboard warriors here – combined – cursing behind the anonymity of monikers.

Good on her; but I just wish she can find a less aggressive way to educate the public on the blind and their guide dogs.

yellowarse

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Good on her; but I just wish she can find a less aggressive way to educate the public on the blind and their guide dogs.

Actually, if you read the eyewitnesses' accounts, it was her friend who called the security a 'dog'. He said something like, 'You then a dog lah', and started pushing the fella.

Cassandra has much more class than that.

McDonaldsKid

Alfrescian
Loyal
Actually, if you read the eyewitnesses' accounts, it was her friend who called the security a 'dog'. He said something like, 'You then a dog lah', and started pushing the fella.

Cassandra has much more class than that.

Her FB Post:

Royally Superlitively UPSET On 10th April, I guided mama for dinner after the office and proceeded through Nee Ann City. Mama's friend who was with us, pointed out a beautiful dress at Zara. Upon mama's instructions, I guided her towards the clothing store.
A man at the entrance of the store prevented us from walking any further he was rather hostile and insisted even after mama explained that she is blind and needed a guide dog. He actually got more agitated and aggressive hurling abuses at mama and I. This guide dog actually heard with her own two ears this man screamed threateningly a word that mama later explained to me meant " threatening another with one's pee pee tail " He refused any explanations and insisted "no animals". Mama explained that I was no ordinary animal but her eyes and allowed into public places. However he got more aggressive with gesturing, tonality and language. Mama requested that I take her into the store to speak to the manager at this point in time.
A lady claiming to be the store manager confirmed that guide dogs were not allowed and that they were calling the police. Mama and I remain standing and waiting for the arrival of the police
Another man came up, identifying himself as a police, asked us to step outside the store and wait for the police. There was some confusion here and we later understood that he was an off-duty officer.
The real police eventually arrived as well as the security management of the shopping mall. Both the security manager and police in uniform confirmed that guide dogs are allowed in Nee Ann City and public places. The investigating police officer then advised mama to take the matter up with Zara's management as well as the magistrate court.
After that, I guarded mama to the police station near our home and lodged a police report. We did not get home till over 1 AM.
Whilst it is surely the prerogative of Zara to choose their customers, it is absolutely uncalled for to threaten one's customers with your security guards pee-pee tail in public!
It is also the right of anyone to label and name mama please remember though,
It is not mama's choice to be blind nor need of a mobility aid!
If only other four letter words can be used instead there are so many good ones like
Kind, Care, Love .....

Granted it was the guard who started it but this what I meant when I said she can be a bit less aggressive.

yellowarse

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Her FB Post: Granted it was the guard who started it but this what I meant when I said she can be a bit less aggressive.

I don't blame her. This wasn't the first time. If you were a handicapped and had faced discrimination your entire life, wouldn't you stand up for your rights? Or are you like the typical kiasu, kiasi S'porean who'd kpkb about the PAP but still continue to vote PAP and be shafted every 5 years?

Cassandra Chiu injured in another altercation with taxi driver over guide dog Esme

By Coconuts Singapore November 6, 2014 / 11:18 SGT

1545599_746120155454396_400192880378164160_n.jpg

Cassandra Chiu and her guide dog Esme faced yet another episode where service was refused due to the assumption that the trained dog was a pet. This time, the visually impaired Chiu experienced a mild injury when a taxi driver refused to let her board the cab and sped off, knocking her down on the ground.

The incident transpired at Tanglin Shopping Centre’s taxi stand earlier on Monday, according the recounting of events from Esme’s point of view in a Facebook post. Chiu, a professional counsellor, was denied entry into a ComfortDelgro cab by the driver, even when she offered to show her Guide Dog Team Identification Card.

The driver had opened his car door and tried to drive off, causing Chiu to fall down and injure her knees, which had started to bleed. Another cab driver came to help and eventually got her into a taxi. Noting that there was “blood flowing in rivulets” down her legs, she went over to Singapore General Hospital for treatment, and later on a veterinarian checked up on Esme. No injuries were found on her guide dog.

559568_769849746414770_4765129150416455445_n.jpg

According to a spokesperson for TransCab, they do not have a policy barring drivers from rejecting passengers with guide dogs and no complaints have been received so far, TODAY reports.

Land Transport Authority regulations also emphasise that taxi drivers are not allowed to reject passengers with caged or muzzled pets, except for health of religious reasons. The taxi driver in question has not been identified.

A few months ago, Chiu faced a similar incident — she broke her ribs when a taxi tried to drive off after refusing entry. In March, she was denied service at a crowded McDonalds restaurant and a staff even mistakenly yelled at her for bringing a ‘pet’ into the premises.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Yes and Sammy was trying to pull a fast one with us as usual.

In OZ, guide dogs are covered by the [FONT=&amp]Disability Discrimination Act 1992[/FONT].

In NZ,the Human Rights Act 1993 covers the same ground.

I'm sure Singapore will have something similar. It's a first world country.

If you have been refused services because you have a dog guide you are being discriminated against because of your disability. Unfortunately despite this being illegal, and despite ongoing advocacy from individuals and organisations such as Vision Australia on this issue, it does still happen.

If this happens to you, you could insist in the first place that you speak with the manager or owner of the business to explain his or her obligation under legislation. You could also call the police.

If you do not get the outcome you want, ie to access whatever service you are being denied, please contact Vision Australia and any member of our advocacy team would be happy to help you. We can discuss with you what other steps you might take - you may want to make a formal disability discrimination complaint against the business through the Australian Human Rights Commission.

There are numerous pieces of legislation and regulations around assistance dogs and the rights of their owners. We have provided a general list for your interest - please note there are many other Acts and Regulations that also have sections around assistance dogs.

looneytan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
In OZ, guide dogs are covered by the [FONT=&amp]Disability Discrimination Act 1992[/FONT].

but OZ and NZ are underworld cuntries

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
cassandra is visually impaired but not totally blind. a guide dog will be of much help moving around. otherwise, her headlights will be hitting you. she should be able to see your dick close up, or feel it if it looks too small like a worm.

McDonaldsKid

Alfrescian
Loyal
I don't blame her. This wasn't the first time. If you were a handicapped and had faced discrimination your entire life, wouldn't you stand up for your rights? Or are you like the typical kiasu, kiasi S'porean who'd kpkb about the PAP but still continue to vote PAP and be shafted every 5 years?

I get what you mean; she is within her rights to bring attention to how the blind in Singapore are treated. Thing is (and I am not one of them), the way she does it brings about contempt from some people. I dont think this people are right; but a more civil way of educating can quell the noisy ones.

yellowarse

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
cassandra is visually impaired but not totally blind. a guide dog will be of much help moving around. otherwise, her headlights will be hitting you. she should be able to see your dick close up, or feel it if it looks too small like a worm.

Completely blind.

xebay11

Alfrescian
Loyal
In OZ, guide dogs are covered by the [FONT=&]Disability Discrimination Act 1992[/FONT].

You and your OZ this NZ that, dun have the law in Singapore now, just admit that you are jumping the gun just to make a point and got ratted out.

mojito

Alfrescian
Loyal
Her FB Post:

Granted it was the guard who started it but this what I meant when I said she can be a bit less aggressive.

Ah yes, sinkies abhor confrontation. Do you see people protesting outside MOM to demand the government address job discrimination against sinkies? No, right? Even banglas got the balls to do that. That is why Professor Straugham is right, sinkies are cowards.

yellowarse

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Singapore is the only developed country without disability discrimination laws. It's already an uphill battle for the minorities to even claim some of their rights, given that they're a fringe minority and most don't have the financial nor social muscle to fight their cause. In other countries, able-bodied people take up their cause on their behalf.

And you're telling these people who're already disadvantaged at birth to be 'less aggressive' and not even ask for what's rightfully theirs? Are you willing to speak up for them? What if you had a blind sister or a deaf brother who faces discrimination and bullying on a daily basis?

Do you think RSH would even have apologized if Cassandra had given in meekly and left the store? Not even talking about campaigning for legislation here.