• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Old Fart's Wish To Demolish Oxley Road House

Asterix

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Wah, so fast try to bury my post arh
PAP IBs very on the ball these days
So I must also come here more often
To disturb and make them work hard

The Old Fart calls himself a lawyer?

My lawyer friends tell me that:

1) Whether a building of historical significance is to be preserved or not is a matter for the Antiquities Board or its equivalent in Sinkieland, which is probably a statutory board or something, to decide.

2) There will be a set criteria to guide the Antiquities Board in making its decision with respect to the Oxley Road House or for that matter Ah Kow's house.

3) If the Antiquities Board decide to preserve, it can either acquire the property (and pay "compensation" at below market rates same as for everyone else under set criteria) or fund the owners in preservation activities subject to conditions. Since the whole purpose of preservation is to enable the public to partake of the building's historical significance, there will be no such stoopid thing as "only for my family and descendents". Fark you LKY, in death also you so bloody useless and selfish.

4) Should any member of the public be unhappy with the decision of the Antiquities Board say not to preserve, he or she can file a lawsuit for judicial review.

5) There is a financial angle to this for the famiLEE. If the building is allowed to be demolished, it follows that the land upon which it sits can be redeveloped. The zoning will be changed to allow high rises and the owners will benefit. Normally, such owners are required to pay a development charge to reflect the increase in value of the land due to the change in zoning. Sinkies better make sure that this will not become another case of extra egg for their char kway teow if you know what I mean.

6) Debating this in Parliament is another way of milking the Old Fart's death for sympathy votes. However, if the above issues are highlighted and brought to the attention of the populace, it could well backfire, which is why I have the pleasure of bringing them up. :rolleyes:

7) To put it simply, Sinkies (through the Antiquities Board, an independent public body) should just say REQUEST DENIED.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEjjN0utj2o

Asterix

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Ah Gong insults Sinkies say they are tramps
That's why don't want house to be museum
In death Old Fart also make Sinkies angry
Charge under Pretension of Harassment Act

Decision on preserving Lee Kuan Yew's house deferred
PUBLISHED : Tuesday, 14 April, 2015, 12:57am
Zuraidah Ibrahim

Singapore will honour its first prime minister, Lee Kuan Yew, by putting him on a special S$50 (HK$300) note, but other ideas such as renaming the airport or preserving his home will have to wait, said his son and current premier Lee Hsien Loong.

The Oxley Road house, on the fringe of the most expensive shopping belt in Singapore, has been the subject of much fascination since Lee Kuan Yew's death on March 23, as interest in learning about his life was reignited among Singaporeans.

Pictures of the humble building with quaint, mismatched 1950s-style furniture had given an insight into the modest life he led. They also sparked calls from the public to turn it into a museum or a memorial site.

The house, which Lee moved into in 1945, was where he and other founders of the People's Action Party planned their first steps. And Lee never moved out. While neighbouring houses made way for swanky multi-storey condominium projects, No 38 remained trapped in time.

On Sunday, two of Lee Hsien Loong's younger siblings, Wei Ling and Hsien Yang, took Singaporeans by surprise with a statement saying firmly they wanted the house to be demolished in line with their parents' wishes.

The two, who are executors and trustees of Lee's last will and testament in December 2013, urged the public to respect their father's request. The late Lee stated in the document that he and his wife, Kwa Geok Choo, wanted the house to be immediately demolished after his death or after his daughter moved out.

"I would ask each of my children to ensure our wishes with respect to the demolition of the house be carried out," the elder Lee stated.

Although the statement gave no reasons, his decision is in keeping with his legendary pragmatic bent. He had been opposed to any cult of personality around him while he was alive, only lending his name to educational causes.

Lee also added in his will that if his children were unable to demolish his home, because of changes to the law or rules or regulations, "it was his wish that the house never be opened to anyone other than his children, their families and descendants".

On Monday, however, the eldest son, Hsien Loong, said there was no need to make a decision on the house now as Wei Ling would continue to live there.

But on what would happen after that, he said: "At that point, speaking as a son, I would like to see these wishes carried out. However, it will be up to the government of the day to consider the matter."

On calls to turn the home into a museum or a memorial, he said his father was adamantly against the idea.

"He wrote formally to the cabinet at least twice to put his wishes on the record," Hsien Loong said.

"He said that he had seen too many other houses of famous people kept frozen in time … as a monument with people tramping in and out. They invariably become shabby."

http://www.scmp.com/news/asia/article/1765839/decision-preserving-lee-kuan-yews-house-deferred

jw5

Loyal

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Shouldn't the house be sold to a private collector?I'm thinking some crazy lky lover or billionaire tiong would pay a handsome price to take a nap in his bed.after all Singapore is about maximizing profit and income opportunity.

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Lee Cons U doesn't want any of his secrets to be found. After so many decades, it is not possible to be completely sure that none of his dirty secrets are still around. Thus, his will is to demolish the house as quickly as possible.

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The house will be demolished before the next GE. If house is still there after the coalition government takes over, the house will spit out info that tarnishes the reputation of the deceased.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Why not just turn it into another F&B establishment? Call it the Lee Mansion, just like Alkaff Mansion. That does not put him or his 'leegacy' into disrepute.

So much angst and attachment over a simple matter. Geez. :rolleyes:

virus

Alfrescian
Loyal
Lee Cons U doesn't want any of his secrets to be found. After so many decades, it is not possible to be completely sure that none of his dirty secrets are still around. Thus, his will is to demolish the house as quickly as possible.

Con you probably worried sick you find the same brand of golden tap as tt durian

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Why not just turn it into another F&B establishment? Call it the Lee Mansion, just like Alkaff Mansion. That does not put him or his 'leegacy' into disrepute.

Hotel 81 buy over the best

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

Turn it into a whore house lah...more suitable..get some geylang pimp to buy it over.