• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Old Fart's Wish To Demolish Oxley Road House

xingguy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Source: Channel NewsAsia

Lee Hsien Yang, Wei Ling urge Singaporeans to respect Lee Kuan Yew’s wishes on Oxley home

POSTED: 12 Apr 2015 18:55
UPDATED: 12 Apr 2015 20:08

bmipALH.png

Mr Lee Kuan Yew had stated in his will his wish that his house be demolished after his death, according to the statement issued on Sunday (Apr 12).

SINGAPORE: Mr Lee Hsien Yang and Ms Lee Wei Ling have issued a statement via their law firm reiterating their father Mr Lee Kuan Yew’s wishes regarding his house on Oxley Road.

In the statement issued on Sunday (Apr 12), the two Lee children said that it was their father’s wish, as stated in his will, that the house be demolished upon his death or after Ms Lee has moved out.

Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong will address the issue of his father's home at Oxley Road in Parliament on Monday (Apr 13), Channel NewsAsia understands.

The statement in full reads as follows:

We would like to thank Singaporeans for sharing in our grief on the passing of our late father, Lee Kuan Yew, on 23rd March, 2015. We have been deeply touched by the huge outpouring of affection for and respect of our father. We humbly thank each of you.

Our late father, Lee Kuan Yew, appointed the two of us as the executors and trustees of his last will and testament dated 17th December 2013 (“Lee Kuan Yew Will”).

In his Lee Kuan Yew Will, he stated, “I further declare that it is my wish, and the wish of my late wife, KWA GEOK CHOO, that our house at 38 Oxley Road, Singapore 238629 (“the House”) be demolished immediately after my death or if my daughter, Wei Ling, would prefer to continue living in the original house, immediately after she moves out of the House. I would ask each of my children to ensure our wishes with respect to the demolition of the House be carried out.”

Our father has made public this wish on many occasions, including in his book Hard Truths to Keep Singapore Going. In addition, both our parents have expressed this same wish with respect to our family home to their children in private on numerous occasions. Indeed, he stated in his Lee Kuan Yew Will that “My view on this has been made public before and remains unchanged.”

Our father was well aware of calls to somehow preserve his home. His wish both expressed to us privately, and publicly was unwavering, and was for the house to be torn down upon his passing. He was concerned an order might be issued against his wishes.

He therefore added in his Lee Kuan Yew Will that “If our children are unable to demolish the House as a result of any changes in the law, rules or regulations binding them, it is my wish that the House never be opened to others except my children, their families and descendants.

We have a duty (as executors and trustees of his Lee Kuan Yew Will) and a moral obligation (as his children) to ensure that his Lee Kuan Yew Will is administered strictly as stated. He has given us clear instructions directly and in his Lee Kuan Yew Will to demolish the house either immediately after his death, or if Wei Ling continues to live in the original house, then immediately after she moves out of the House.

Our father has given his life in service to the people of Singapore. We hope that the people of Singapore will honour and respect his stated wish in his last will and testament.

Lee Wei Ling and Lee Hsien Yang
12th April 2015​

- CNA/ek

End of Article​

kryonlight

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Daft sinkies don't realize if they step inside the sacred temple after their god had died, the whole island will sink into the South China Sea. Daft sinkies are so lucky to have such a compassionate god.

Leepotism

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Nobody knows what's inside the emperor's house. Demolish and all evidence and secrets vanish.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
At least have an Open House so the curious and the porlumpars can go there see see look look, take photos and videos. If you collect $1 per visitor think of the amount of money you can expect to receive!

My solution: Let the public perform their pilgrimage to their Oxley Mecca for the remainder of the SG50 year, then next year you want to demolish and build condo or hotel that's your problem. Singapore experiences land scarcity, no? Must optimise usage of land... that's why you tore down the red brick library and sold that land to some third-rate university funded by Indon crooks. :wink:

Win-win situation for everyone. :cool:

THE_CHANSTER

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
This is common knowledge.

38 Oxley Road will be demolished as per his explicit instructions and no legal injunction is going to overturn it but there's a certain irony here. Sinkies will want landmarks and memorials to mark his legacy as 'founding father of Singapore' but yet the man himself wanted his own home destroyed.

Many of his key political decisions and meetings were held at Oxley. Ground breaking moments which most likely influenced the eventual outcomes of Singapore's history.

In any other country, such a property would be granted as 'Grade 1 Listed Building status' because of its historical and national significance.

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
They don't dare to keep that house ...lots of skeletons hidden there.

Why should a private matter become an issue to be tabled in Parliament? This is ridiculous.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
They don't dare to keep that house ...lots of skeletons hidden there.

Why should a private matter become an issue to be tabled in Parliament? This is ridiculous.

Parliament is whose house? It is an exceptional FamiLEE...private matter to demolish a home, becomes a Public matter, for all famiLEE matters is the utmost important... for parliament belong, not to the people...:rolleyes:

looneytan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Old man knew damn well that by the time he kicked bucket that piece of land going to cost $50,000 per square foot then why deny the crown princes and princess the added bonus

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Nobody knows what's inside the emperor's house. Demolish and all evidence and secrets vanish.

Exactly, that is what i am going to say.. a coward is always a coward..so afraid of his dark secret to be passed down in history and condemned his whole family for generations.

wendychan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
if its in his will then no need for discussion
no need to even bring it up in parliment. pls separate private life from political life

if wills are so easily disregard, then PRC YY sure can win big big

FOOking wayang

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Ex-US presidents donate their papers, books,.... to libraries so that the public can share. What has LKY left behind for Singaporeans:confused:

LKY only knows how to leech from Sporeans:rolleyes:
The famiLee must be worth billion$ but the old farts instructions to demolish his old home is typical of a calculative penny pinching hakka:biggrin:

LKY claimed that the $$$ extracted from those who libeled him would be given to charity. However it is strange that the media has never followed up on this "promise":rolleyes:

LKY & wife were criticized for using SIA as a private taxi service when they returned from one of their visits to London. LKY was reported as saying that he would pay SIA for the use of the jet. Can anyone confirm if he actually paid SIA :confused:

rambo22

Alfrescian
Loyal
maybe the house hv many KEE KUANs

just like my ah mah said nong nong time ago 1 famous temple
oso hv KEE KUAN one

swee char boh go there pai pai and never return home

Yingge

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Ex-US presidents donate their papers, books,.... to libraries so that the public can share. What has LKY left behind for Singaporeans:confused:

LKY only knows how to leech from Sporeans:rolleyes:
The famiLee must be worth billion$ but the old farts instructions to demolish his old home is typical of a calculative penny pinching hakka:biggrin:

He already donated the red color bag and also the paper which he is back on battleship. As for books, it sell like hot cakes now...:biggrin:

Why he wanted to demolish the house and not donate it??? Simple demolish and sell to private fetch a better price compare to donate to the government. Last time my ah gong had a piece of land... He prayed everyday that he will be able to sell to those private company rather than to HDB...:biggrin:

Seee3

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
if its in his will then no need for discussion
no need to even bring it up in parliment. pls separate private life from political life

if wills are so easily disregard, then PRC YY sure can win big big

FOOking wayang
That is my feeling too. It is a pte property, do as they wish. Why so much publicity? It only gives the feeling that the house must be demolished regardless of the resistance. Why? Such adamant may arouse suspicion such as "Is there many interesting features in that house that nobody else should know?" Well it is a weird move if it is for publicity. There is no need to reiterate what he had already made known so clearly in public so many times.

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Many stand to benefit once house is demolished. They were deprived for decades. If marketed well, which I have no doubt they would, the land could well fetch triple or more the prevailing rate psf.

It is about time the house is demolished to level the field.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
.. Such adamant may arouse suspicion such as "Is there many interesting features in that house that nobody else should know?"....

LKY is quite paranoid & he must have taken "precautions"

Some people think that there is a secret tunnel.:confused: