• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

SDP - Apr 2015 - Countering the PAP's smear tactics at the next GE

Cosmos10

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Countering the PAP's smear tactics at the next GE

Through the decades, the PAP has run a vicious and relentless attack campaign against Dr Chee Soon Juan. With the GE around the corner, it is expected that the PAP will resort to this dirty tactic again.

To counter the propaganda, the SDP has published a new book Teacher Thinker Rebel Why? Portraits of Chee Soon Juan written by people who know or have worked with the SDP secretary-general. Here are some of the things they said:

JoshuaC.jpg

Dr Chee was not just content to speak up for the people. He was the guy who constantly and deliberately ran into the electric fence to remind us we were prisoners.

I resented him for it because I would rather pretend the fence was there to keep us safe.

- Joshua Chiang, former editor of TOC

ConstanceSingam.jpg

Chee’s mode of political action, situated in the liberal democratic value system, like Gandhi’s, is to challenge laws which are unjust and unfair in a way that seemed totally out of sync with Singapore’s political and social culture.

- Constance Singam, former president of AWARE

TanLH-LeongYH.jpg

His prose is precise, his tone inspiring, and his idealism infectious. I have come to identify with his compassion and empathy for the lot of the poor, socially disadvantaged and politically disenfranchised, and to appreciate his perseverance in fighting for a fairer and better Singapore.

He opened my eyes to the tyranny of unjust laws imposed by authoritarian regimes and taught me that there can never be justice without freedom, and vice versa.

- Dr Tan Lip Hong & Dr Leong Yan Hoi, SDP healthcare advisors

WongSY.jpg

Soon Juan’s years as a lone wolf nibbling at unjust laws, policies and government, at huge personal costs to himself, restores my faith in politicians. For all that he has done, he deserves much more than just quiet support from us.

If Singaporeans continue to stay on the sidelines and watch others fight on their behalf, the comet would burn itself out and we would be thrown back into darkness.

- Dr Wong Souk Yee, NUS Lecturer

PaulTambyah.jpg

But all those who have come in contact with him personally felt that the characterization of Dr Chee as a “near psychopath” was totally unfair.

He chose the path of civil disobedience when it was not popular and paid the price for his actions with many spells in jail. While these actions may have turned off many Singaporeans who are by nature risk-averse, I think that they showed a rare personal commitment to the cause of democracy.

- Prof Paul Tambyah, SDP healthcare advisor

JaslynGo.jpg

CSJ never failed to listen to my arguments and very often saw my point of view. A real leader is one who listens as much as he speaks. And I know CSJ takes the time to listen and consider differing views.

- Jaslyn Go, SDP Asst Treasurer

GrahamWatson.jpg

Dr Chee has led a struggle for true democracy in the country he loves for over 20 years through the leading roles he has held in the Party. He has been a leading light too in the creation of the Council of Asian Liberals and Democrats.

- Sir Graham Watson, former MEP

SamRainsy.jpg

Like many Asian democrats, Dr Chee and I have often asked these questions: Why must it be a choice between development and democracy when in fact the two are not mutually exclusive?

Dr Chee is a democrat; Dr Chee is a patriot. He is not against the economic gains of Singapore. He is not against the free market. He is merely asking valid questions like how much of this wealth trickles down to the majority of the people.

- Sam Rainsy MP and Leader of the Opposition, Cambodia

WongWN.jpg

The fact that he was willing to let Chiam See Tong come back as a leader to a party that Soon Juan had invested all his youth and kept afloat with all his sacrifices says a lot to me about his dedication.

- Dr Wong Wee Nam. SDP healthcare advisor

Last edited:

Cosmos10

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Come to the launch on 11 April 2015, Saturday and get the book for $20.

Or order a copy online here or email us at [email protected]

Proceeds from the sales will go to the SDP's GE campaign.

So get your copy and let's get Dr Chee and the SDP into Parliament!

TTRWannouncementA.png

tanwahp

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The challenge is not that the SDP has never countered or no one has spoken favourably of Chee, but it's hard to beat the MSM engulfing arms.

Not only that, to get the syntactic brains of most Singaporeans to twist even a little is also a challenge. Last week, overheard one coffeeshop uncle among a few beer drinking uncles ranted away "last time remember that what Chee guy, kicked Chiam out, siao one". I was like "how long ago was this news, man, and they're still judging him by that?"

Cosmos10

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Authors launch book: “Read about the real Chee Soon Juan”

Six of the 10 authors were present at the launch of Teacher, Thinker, Rebel Why? Portraits of Chee Soon Juan, and they had one common message: Singaporeans should read who the real Dr Chee is instead of relying on the negative propaganda of the PAP.

“I hope that this is the birth of Dr Chee as a new man, as a new person, seen not from the light of the newspapers and the Government but from the light of people who really know him,” Mr Fong Hoe Fang, a publisher, who edited the book.

Mr Fong explained the book's title: Dr Chee started off as a a teacher at the National University of Singapore (NUS) before he entered politics in 1992. He then talked about the need for democracy and how to go about wresting back our political freedoms from the PAP, requiring him to give thought to his actions and claims. And thinkers, Mr Fong said, are also rebels as history shows.

The “why” in the title is a question to Singaporeans to think more deeply and go beyond the caricatures that the PAP has erected about Dr Chee.

Ms Jaslyn Go, SDP's Treasurer, recounted how she had, like many others, at first believed much of the media's portrayal of Dr Chee as a gangster and mad man. “But when I met him personally, I was shocked. I found that he was nothing of what I read in the mainstream media,” she said. “This is why we decided to get together to write this book.”

(Photo: From left - Jaslyn Go, Paul Tambyah, Wong Souk Yee, Tan Lip Hong, Leong Yan Hoi, Fong Hoe Fang)

Professor Paul Tambyah pointed out that Dr Chee was active in civil society and pushing for change when it was not popular. When change comes, he said, “the one person who can stand up and say with hand on his heart that he was there is Dr Chee.”

“I was very curious about what species is this who, against all odds, did what he did in those days. The rest is history,” Dr Wong Souk Yee, NUS lecturer and ex-ISA detainee, said as she recounted how Dr Chee first started out in politics in 1992.

Dr Tan Lip Hong, who co-authored the chapter A Man of Destiny, A Party of Heft with Dr Leong Yan Hoi, touched on the establishment of Speaker's Corner and Dr Chee's role in it: “It was a milestone...he's changed a lot of minds and he's been very persistent and is a die-hard, and that has opened up the political space for all of us.”

“Chee was a man after my heart,” Dr Leong said as he related how the SDP leader had emphasised that democracy should be the bedrock of all modern societies.

Dr Chee also addressed the audience where he repeated his call to the PAP to stop the old politics of personal attacks and debate the SDP on ideas and policies which Singaporeans care about.

He said that while the PAP decried “Western-style” democracy, it copied all the bad practices of Western politicians such as those in the US where political opponents make a sport out of running each other down on a personal basis.

He said he looked forward to leading the SDP in the upcoming GE and challenged the PAP to compete on the strength of the parties' visions and ideas for Singapore.

To purchase a copy of the book, click here.

Cosmos10

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
[video=vimeo;124724120]https://vimeo.com/124724120[/video]​

Last edited: