• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Season Pass for ferry services to Batam @ only $180/month

SgGoneWrong

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Tipping is not about spoiling market but rewarding good service.
You said it many sinkies are poor folks making a living doing low income mundane jobs...give a bit to reward

Don't expect penny pinchers to walk the talk. Mostly good in kpkb only and demanding welfare. The more educated a sinkie worker is, the worser the habits.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
When u cut hair there.got any cut/wound.
Gingerlyn say not safe.

Nowadays barbers in Batam do not use those old fashion open razors. They use those throwaway blades. After using it once on the customer, they will discard.

It's the same for barbers in JB, LOS & probably in Spore. Since I haven't had a haircut in Spore for 15+ years I can't be sure.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
sinkies are conditioned to be nickel and dime conscious. penny wise pound foolish. i typically tip the mee pok server at the jalan tua kong kopitiam an extra dollar, but he is so paiseh he asks cook to give me two extra prawns. i told him balls will do. in that regard, it's a good and gracious attribute.

In Indonesia you have to bargain if you want a fairer price. This is especially true when taking a cab because they don't use a taxi meter. However I don't do it with the hotel cab drivers because they are charging the market rate. I'm ok with the "market rate" because these people also have to pay bills.

For personal services I don't bargain because the massage girls make very little for what they do. Out of the $6/hour charged, more than half goes to the boss. That is why some of them are willing to offer extras

Unrepented

Alfrescian
Loyal
What's wrong to avoid paying for the necessary and undeserving, and channel that to those who needs it more and you are happy paying for. A good and gracious deed to the deserving is more satisfying and may return many folds.

sinkies are conditioned to be nickel and dime conscious. penny wise pound foolish. i typically tip the mee pok server at the jalan tua kong kopitiam an extra dollar, but he is so paiseh he asks cook to give me two extra prawns. i told him balls will do. in that regard, it's a good and gracious attribute.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I guess also jodoh near top 100:biggrin:

The Jodoh area is I think around where Diamond Mall is located right up to the Princess Hotel. I was told that the gangsters hang around this area. There's really not much to see there other than Diamond Mall & Atlanta Spa,

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Horizon appears to be going up market with the creation of their 1st class & 2nd class categories. They also females stewardesses to serve the 1st class customers.

BatamFast is the one trying to get market share by offering more attractive pricing. They go to both Harbour Bay and Batam Centre. The schedule to Harbour Bay is currently limited but talking to the counter staff they tell me that in the future they will be adding more ships going to Spore.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Visited Batam & took the opportunity to look at the discounted vouchers that are available to Sporeans who want cheaper ferry tickets. You have to buy these cheaper vouchers in Batam. They are not available in Spore. So next time get a 1 way ticket from Spore & in Batam get one of these vouchers available at many money changers in Batam. I got mine from a money changer in Nagoya Hill Mall.

For Sporeans cheaper tixs are only available if you are using Wave Master(new name is Majestic) or Sindo ferry services & these 2 companies only serve the Spore to Batam Centre./Sekupang route. They do not go to the Harbour Bay port at Batu Ampar which is closer to Nagoya:(

Batam Fast does offer cheaper tickets to Harbour Bay but only for Indonesian passport holders & not Sporeans :mad:

Since Batam Centre is farther away from downtown Nagoya the taxi fare is higher.
The taxi ride from Nagoya to Harbour Bay ferry terminal is 50,000 rupiah.
The taxi ride from Nagoya to the Batam Centre ferry terminal is 80,000 rupiah.

A normal price of a 2 way ferry ticket from Spore to Harbour Bay & return costs SIN$48
If you have a voucher the cost is the following:

For Wavemaster(Majestic) a voucher costs 290,000 rupiah. Using a foreign exchange rate of 9,700 to the SIN $ that is SIN$29.90. There is the added cost of a higher cab ride of 30,000rupiah times two back & forth. So 60,000=SIN$6.18.
Total cost of using a voucher is 29.90 + 6.18 = SIN$36.08 VS $48

Up to you to decide if saving $11.92 is worth taking the extra effort:smile:

If you decide to take Sindo ferry services. The cost of the voucher is 160,000rupiah. Spore ferry tax is SIN$6, Batam ferry tax is 65,000 rupiah. I'll leave you to do the math.