• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

VEP - Does Malaysia fully understand why Singapore charges VEP?

IskandarRocks

Alfrescian
Loyal
We're on Malaysia's side aren't we? :wink::wink: We want IR(punt not intended) to grow and be very successful but the top people are doing funny things to restrain this otherwise rapidly growing monster...........

I am (literally) on both sides bro. And I have seen drastic measures and policies come out on both sides that may be termed and 'funny things' and 'unintelligent' by some. Such as drastic cooling measures. Recently several countries did that - Canada, Australia, UK, HK, UAE, Malaysia and dont forget Singapore - some countries did a series of them. In fact, I would consider Malaysia one to be milder compared to the rest. Dont get me wrong, just like you, I am down to my last underwear as well.

However, such measures are not necessarily bad even for those who are vested in case they are looking at the long run. One good thing that has come out of this 'doom and gloom' news is that the supply is being restrained in the last 6 months. The rental is down in East Ledang not just because Singapore commuters are not renting, but too much supply has come in the past 12 months - P3a, P3b, P4a, P6a, P6b, 7, 8 - previously there were only Phase 1 & 2. Imagine what would happen in 2-3 years time if UEM went ahead aggressively with more launches - the new condo project, Phase 5, Estuary - these are all deferred as I uderstand. And I think that is good news as supply will be better matched with commercial projects. Also, hopefully, some of the developers will be focused on improving quality, creating a better brand and not just focusing on new launches.

Anyway, on the brighter side, the following news clippings that are exciting:

------------------------------------

Approval has just been obtained from the Maritime and Port Authority of Singapore for a ferry service to connect Puteri Harbour to HarbourFront, Mr Cheah said. UEM has engaged WaveMaster with services targeted to start in the second quarter of this year.

According to UEM Sunrise chief operating officer (commercial) Raymond Cheah, the HSR station will be located in the centre of Gerbang Nusajaya and surrounded by catalytic developments such as Nusajaya Tech Park and Singapore tycoon Peter Lim's Motorsport City. He said the final stop for the HSR terminal in Johor will be in Iskandar Malaysia, in particular flagship B, which is Nusajaya.

Sedenak Iskandar data hub — a 700-acre data hub in the Iskandar Malaysia area of Johor — has been announced to meet the region’s rising demand for datacentre space and services.

Nusajaya Tech Park has sold 73 per cent of the 21 ready-built factories released in phase one at RM380 per square foot onwards - a fraction of Singapore's industrial land prices, said Ascendas CEO for South-east Asia William Tay. Telekom Malaysia and Sanwa are among its clients.

Development of one of Iskandar's flagship zones, Nusajaya, is being stepped up significantly. Master developer UEM Sunrise yesterday disclosed comprehensive plans for phase two of the project, west of Johor Baru city. The first phase had a strong focus on homes, while the second will be about job creation through boosting commercial and industrial heft. "We are growing Nusajaya organically and in phases, making sure supply and demand are balanced... It is not like pumping in steroids," Mr Raymond Cheah, UEM Sunrise chief operating officer, commercial, said yesterday.

FHBH12

Alfrescian
Loyal
Under the new system, drivers would have to disembark and manually scan the passports of all passengers in the car at a kiosk similar to the self-check-in stations at airports
-> opportunity for jam as all drivers must bring along a stack of passports for scanning and sometimes forget to scan or cannot get the scanner to work well.

The system would then detect the number of passengers in the car and extend robotic arms with handheld biometric scanners to the vehicle's side windows.
-> Opportunity for jam as drivers have to position their cars well, and different cars have number of windows (e.g. 6-seater MPV versus 4-seater sedan) and at different heights (e.g. sports wagon versus sports car), else there is risk of machine or car damage

Passengers would be prompted to reach out for the scanners to scan their fingerprints.
-> Opportunity for jam as passengers in middle seat, little children or those at rear seats

Cameras attached to the scanners would also perform facial detection of passengers.
-> Opportunity for jam as scanners may not be able to work under low-light condition and for middle or rear seat passengers.

There is still boot checking required.

Currently each car takes about 2 min to clear the passport part, so the new system will slow down clearance by half if it takes 4 min (realistically speaking for initial implementation), which means the jam will be twice as long. Unless the number of lanes can be at least doubled, but I doubt so looking at the space constraint at existing checkpoints, so we are looking at more serious jam ahead.

Last edited:

RedsYNWA

Alfrescian
Loyal
The MHA scholars have lost sight of what's at stake in customs clearance, missing the forest for the trees. The most critical issue is contraband/explosive smuggling, which these silly measures do not deal with.

Bring back the sniffer dogs to deal with these far more critical issues. I think they are a much better deterrent. Cant believe my taxes go towards MHA scholars' pay and procuring these incredibly useless systems!

Lastly, why are these useless face detection/fingerprint systems not implemented at Changi Airport, where there's a much higher risk of incoming terrorists?

whoami

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Lastly, why are these useless face detection/fingerprint systems not implemented at Changi Airport, where there's a much higher risk of incoming terrorists?

Cos most of the tourists r "rich" foreigners. Dont forget alot of angmo mah. Like everyone here believe..angmo tuakie mah. So garment scare of complain like slow down the speed of clearance etc...revenue drop how?

Investor

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I am (literally) on both sides bro. And I have seen drastic measures and policies come out on both sides that may be termed and 'funny things' and 'unintelligent' by some. Such as drastic cooling measures. Recently several countries did that - Canada, Australia, UK, HK, UAE, Malaysia and dont forget Singapore - some countries did a series of them. In fact, I would consider Malaysia one to be milder compared to the rest. Dont get me wrong, just like you, I am down to my last underwear as well.

However, such measures are not necessarily bad even for those who are vested in case they are looking at the long run. One good thing that has come out of this 'doom and gloom' news is that the supply is being restrained in the last 6 months. The rental is down in East Ledang not just because Singapore commuters are not renting, but too much supply has come in the past 12 months - P3a, P3b, P4a, P6a, P6b, 7, 8 - previously there were only Phase 1 & 2. Imagine what would happen in 2-3 years time if UEM went ahead aggressively with more launches - the new condo project, Phase 5, Estuary - these are all deferred as I uderstand. And I think that is good news as supply will be better matched with commercial projects. Also, hopefully, some of the developers will be focused on improving quality, creating a better brand and not just focusing on new launches.

Anyway, on the brighter side, the following news clippings that are exciting:

Approval has just been obtained from the Maritime and Port Authority of Singapore for a ferry service to connect Puteri Harbour to HarbourFront, Mr Cheah said. UEM has engaged WaveMaster with services targeted to start in the second quarter of this year.

According to UEM Sunrise chief operating officer (commercial) Raymond Cheah, the HSR station will be located in the centre of Gerbang Nusajaya and surrounded by catalytic developments such as Nusajaya Tech Park and Singapore tycoon Peter Lim's Motorsport City. He said the final stop for the HSR terminal in Johor will be in Iskandar Malaysia, in particular flagship B, which is Nusajaya.

Sedenak Iskandar data hub — a 700-acre data hub in the Iskandar Malaysia area of Johor — has been announced to meet the region’s rising demand for datacentre space and services.

Nusajaya Tech Park has sold 73 per cent of the 21 ready-built factories released in phase one at RM380 per square foot onwards - a fraction of Singapore's industrial land prices, said Ascendas CEO for South-east Asia William Tay. Telekom Malaysia and Sanwa are among its clients.

Development of one of Iskandar's flagship zones, Nusajaya, is being stepped up significantly. Master developer UEM Sunrise yesterday disclosed comprehensive plans for phase two of the project, west of Johor Baru city. The first phase had a strong focus on homes, while the second will be about job creation through boosting commercial and industrial heft. "We are growing Nusajaya organically and in phases, making sure supply and demand are balanced... It is not like pumping in steroids," Mr Raymond Cheah, UEM Sunrise chief operating officer, commercial, said yesterday.

Yes IR, good points for those who are looking at long term, which includes myself since I have no choice but to go 'long' on this one now.

Luckily for me(or us), this last underwear has still proven to be quite a lucky one so far :wink:

IskandarRocks

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes IR, good points for those who are looking at long term, which includes myself since I have no choice but to go 'long' on this one now.

Luckily for me(or us), this last underwear has still proven to be quite a lucky one so far :wink:

Ya bro, it is holding up quite well so far. Haha