• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

VEP - Does Malaysia fully understand why Singapore charges VEP?

Investor

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Already the causeway is very quiet on weekdays, and this is more or less, permanent now that a few months have passed. Rm20 will just help to kill off more of the red-plates.

From my personal experience, I can back you up on the fact that causeway is very quiet on weekdays now as compared to 'before-tolls-increased' era. We go to Nusajaya once in a while(from SG) during weekdays to settle things. Last time, we never dared to go back to SG via Woodlands Causeway because the traffic jam going back to SG was really bad every single night.

After the tolls were increased, we were able to drive straight up to the passport counter at SG side, totally no traffic jam at all. We are here in BI again right now, will go back via Woodlands Causeway later and report the traffic condition when we get home.

Thursday night, 9 April 2015.
Drove directly to passport counter at Malaysian side(Woodlands Causeway towards Singapore) earlier at around 7.30pm, totally clear.
At Singapore side, only 2 cars in front of us in the queue.

To be frank, I'm totally loving this increase in tolls and the upcoming VEP. I'm willing to pay for a smooth traffic.
On the other hand, most others are not like me, this increase in tolls coupled with the upcoming VEP will affect the demand, and thus the prices of my properties in Nusajaya. That's my personal interest and I'm not hiding it. Hehe!

Last edited:

Manhattan

Alfrescian
Loyal
Every problem has a solution. If one works in west area, he can take the rm 4 bus from gelang patah or bukit indah every day to jurong east and go to work. Transport fee per day is about sgd 4 +4rm = sgd 6. And about sgd 120 per month, almost the same as those people taking public transport to work in sg. And clearing the 2nd link via bus is a breeze, I would say always less than 1 hr point to point, and you can watch 1 episode of 'walking dead' while on the bus. This way, one can still live in a nice condo or landed there while collecting rm7k rent from his hdb here in singapore, and dont have to own a sgp car. don't tell me this is the hidden secret which a few lucky ones know about.

Investor

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I am not expressing my opinion on whether malaysia VEP is right or wrong. As a matter of fact, as Investors (pun not intended) we will all be hurt. So will be the folks who have bought for weekend or even full time stay.

That said, the reality is that cross border policies are often not made based on the other countries' internal matters. It is often based on Reciprocity. Whether malaysia understands or not.

For example - US charges Vietnamese national US$150 for a visa. Vietnam charges US citizens around the same, even though infrastructure costs are significantly less in Vietnam. Countries like Argentina and Chile have recently implemented Reciprocity Fee for US Citizens to match what US charges their citizens.

Yes bro, you are right that politicians of many countries like to do retaliation policies without much intelligence . If it benefits them, go ahead of course. But when it obviously doesn't and they still do it, that might explain why they are still third world.

Investor

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Every problem has a solution. If one works in west area, he can take the rm 4 bus from gelang patah or bukit indah every day to jurong east and go to work. Transport fee per day is about sgd 4 +4rm = sgd 6. And about sgd 120 per month, almost the same as those people taking public transport to work in sg. And clearing the 2nd link via bus is a breeze, I would say always less than 1 hr point to point, and you can watch 1 episode of 'walking dead' while on the bus. This way, one can still live in a nice condo or landed there while collecting rm7k rent from his hdb here in singapore, and dont have to own a sgp car.don't tell me this is the hidden secret which a few lucky ones know about.

Hahaha lol :p:biggrin: No more secret la, rental dropped like hell in Nusajaya lately, including East Ledang of course :*::*:

IskandarRocks

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes bro, you are right that politicians of many countries like to do retaliation policies without much intelligence . If it benefits them, go ahead of course. But when it obviously doesn't and they still do it, that might explain why they are still third world.

Third world but growing fast. Call it retaliation without intelligence or a strong message that they will no longer be taken for granted. You do, I do. Depends on how you look at things and which side are you at.

Anyway, we don't live in a perfect world. And such imperfections create opportunities for those that can see them .....

Manhattan

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hahaha lol :p:biggrin: No more secret la, rental dropped like hell in Nusajaya lately, including East Ledang of course :*::*:

What an oppounity during crisis ! rent out sg hdb for rm7k and rent a house in nusajaya for rm 2k, still got rm 5 k to spend. Why need to work? :biggrin:

Investor

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Third world but growing fast. Call it retaliation without intelligence or a strong message that they will no longer be taken for granted. You do, I do. Depends on how you look at things and which side are you at.

Anyway, we don't live in a perfect world. And such imperfections create opportunities for those that can see them .....

We're on Malaysia's side aren't we? :wink::wink: We want IR(punt not intended) to grow and be very successful but the top people are doing funny things to restrain this otherwise rapidly growing monster.

Present opportunity is good for those who've missed the boat in 2009-2011. Can't say exactly the same for those who've boarded 5 years ago and have already brought on board all that they have including their last underwear. For the avoidance of doubt and the possibility of offending someone, I'm actually talking about myself :biggrin:

Maybe the knowledge I've acquired through my years of stock investments have taught me to look at investments(including property) differently. In this present world, prices are very very very speculative. For many others, they might see properties as a long term investment(maybe 20 to even 50 years). For example, after buying a terrace in EL at RM0.6mil, he wants to hold for 30 years hoping that maybe, just maybe, price might hit RM3-4mil one fine day, as long as he holds long enough to see that day.

As for me, I set my own targeted reasonable price which I 'think' people in the future might be willing to buy when Nusajaya is already a liveable city. So when I bought, I've already guessed that people will start to pay near to this 'future' price once many people(herd mentality) start to see the potential of Nusajaya. Truly enough, price almost hit RM1.8mil in 2013(thanks to the speculative market and current day investors' behaviour which are easily predictable due to one word - 'greed').

If the top people didn't screw things up, I will be able to sell at RM2mil by this year end(avoiding RPGT) and I will sell because my investment style is big profit(at least 100%) within medium term of 2-3 years(hopefully of course, if cannot hit then "boh pian" lor). I wouldn't want to hold for another 10 years just for maybe another 40% profit from RM2mil. I'll take profit and find another worthy investment target which I can, "hopefully", make at least 100% within the next 2-3 years.

I've made 'paper' profit of around 120%(profit of around SGD6xxK) from a stock last year, but my targeted profit for this stock is much higher and I didn't sell. Today, my 'paper' profit on this stock is around zero, sometimes in the red :*::*::*:

What I'm trying to say is that hitting my targeted profit in 2 years is better than hitting the same profit in 10 years. My view of properties is the same as my view on stocks, they are both very very speculative and that gives us a chance to sell at future prices when prices are over speculated during 'hot' period. There's no need to hold 10 years just to finally get that same price due to the progressive arrival of the real healthy demands.

Last edited:

Investor

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
What an oppounity during crisis ! rent out sg hdb for rm7k and rent a house in nusajaya for rm 2k, still got rm 5 k to spend. Why need to work? :biggrin:

Cool! Congratulations. Soon, I guess some terrace owners in EL will start asking for just RM2.xK. I already saw one asking for RM3k. Minus RM1, that's already a RM2.xK :biggrin:

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
We're on Malaysia's side aren't we? :wink::wink: We want IR(punt not intended) to grow and be very successful but the top people are doing funny things to restrain this otherwise rapidly growing monster.

Present opportunity is good for those who've missed the boat in 2009-2011. Can't say exactly the same for those who've boarded 5 years ago and have already brought on board all that they have including their last underwear. For the avoidance of doubt and the possibility of offending someone, I'm actually talking about myself :biggrin:

Maybe the knowledge I've acquired through my years of stock investments have taught me to look at investments(including property) differently. In this present world, prices are very very very speculative. For many others, they might see properties as a long term investment(maybe 20 to even 50 years). For example, after buying a terrace in EL at RM0.6mil, he wants to hold for 30 years hoping that maybe, just maybe, price might hit RM3-4mil one fine day, as long as he holds long enough to see that day.

As for me, I set my own targeted reasonable price which I 'think' people in the future might be willing to buy when Nusajaya is already a liveable city. So when I bought, I've already guessed that people will start to pay near to this 'future' price once many people(herd mentality) start to see the potential of Nusajaya. Truly enough, price almost hit RM1.8mil in 2013(thanks to the speculative market and current day investors' behaviour which are easily predictable due to one word - 'greed').

If the top people didn't screw things up, I will be able to sell at RM2mil by this year end(avoiding RPGT) and I will sell because my investment style is big profit(at least 100%) within medium term of 2-3 years(hopefully of course, if cannot hit then "boh pian" lor). I wouldn't want to hold for another 10 years just for maybe another 40% profit from RM2mil. I'll take profit and find another worthy investment target which I can, "hopefully", make at least 100% within the next 2-3 years.

In fact, I've made 'paper' profit of around 120%(profit of around SGD6xxK) last year, but my targeted profit for this stock is much higher and I didn't sell. Today, my 'paper' profit on this stock is around zero, sometimes in the red :*::*::*:

Now, is the time to trade, not buy-and-hold. Buy and hold when the market corrects 20 percent or more.

Investor

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
What I'm trying to say is that hitting my targeted profit in 2 years is better than hitting the same profit in 10 years. My view of properties is the same as my view on stocks, they are both very very speculative and that gives us a chance to sell at future prices when prices are over speculated during 'hot' period. There's no need to hold 10 years just to finally get that same price due to the progressive arrival of the real healthy demands.

Investor

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Now, is the time to trade, not buy-and-hold. Buy and hold when the market corrects 20 percent or more.

I know what you mean but I don't invest in stable mid and big cap. I invest in stocks which has high potential to become the next speculative counter. In one of my such investments, I made a profit of 4XX%. The price of that stock went up to around 6 times its low price.

snowbird

Alfrescian
Loyal
If he drives a Malaysian car, then he would have sold his SG property.
Given his financial commitment to sinkapore, the choice was obvious.

SPRs are prohibited to drive a MY plate vehicles into SG, only Malaysians can and they have to pay the daily VEP.

snowbird

Alfrescian
Loyal

Anything bought at least 3,4 years ago may make a little profit as of now, after tax.
But those who bought in the last 2 years may even have a problem disposing them without losing money when the resale market is super weak - why buy "second-hand" when brand new ones are priced about the same and with wide choice available.

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I know what you mean but I don't invest in stable mid and big cap. I invest in stocks which has high potential to become the next speculative counter. In one of my such investments, I made a profit of 4XX%. The price of that stock went up to around 6 times its low price.

You are playing with fire if you dabble with penny stocks. You can make profits of 4XX% on options with lower risks, IMHO. For eg, if you bought TSLA April Calls last week for $0.30, you would have made 600 percent on Monday.

Investor

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Anything bought at least 3,4 years ago may make a little profit as of now, after tax.
But those who bought in the last 2 years may even have a problem disposing them without losing money when the resale market is super weak - why buy "second-hand" when brand new ones are priced about the same and with wide choice available.

Smart ones are offering low prices to owners now, trying to fish out good deals. I was just offered RM1.1mil for my terrace, no way I'm selling at that price when the valuation from HSBC is now RM1.6mil.

But in this weak market, he can surely find a seller. In fact, a unit from the earliest phase in EL is advertising at RM1.1mil now.

Investor

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
You are playing with fire if you dabble with penny stocks. You can make profits of 4XX% on options with lower risks, IMHO. For eg, if you bought TSLA April Calls last week for $0.30, you would have made 600 percent on Monday.

Thanks for your advice :wink::wink: