• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

You believe his father's explanation for this 1958 telegram?

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
PM Lee shares photo of puzzling telegram sent by Mr Lee Kuan Yew in 1958

20150406_telegram_fb.jpg

Monday, April 6, 2015 - 13:43
AsiaOne

SINGAPORE - Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong has shared on social media a photo of a telegram sent by his late father, Mr Lee Kuan Yew, that puzzled the family back in 1958.

"Was amazed to find this old telegram when sorting through my father's things at home. My parents had kept it all these years! When I saw it, the old childhood memory flooded back," PM Lee wrote in a Facebook post today.

The telegram read, "ARRIVING TODAY BATTLESHIP = LEEKUANYEW".

It was sent by Mr Lee, who was still a practising lawyer then, when he was handling some cases in Sibu, Sarawak, before he returned home that day on September 26.

"My mother did not understand the message. Was my father coming home on a battleship?" PM Lee said.

He added that the secretary at Mr Lee's law firm Lee & Lee even called up the British Naval Base to check if any battleship was arriving from Sarawak, to no avail.

When Mr Lee arrived home later, he explained that he wanted to have steam boat for dinner. But because telegrams were charged by the word, Mr Lee decided to save money by using "battleship" instead of "steam boat".

"Sadly, since we had not understood the message, we did not have steam boat for dinner that night," PM Lee said.

He found the telegram while sorting through his father's things at home.

Mr Lee died on March 23 at the age of 91.

10409011_889924044403636_3945697945865378871_n.jpg

Was amazed to find this old telegram when sorting through my father’s things at home. My parents had kept it all these...
Posted by Lee Hsien Loong on Sunday, 5 April 2015

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
It seems that PM has been spending a lot of time going thru old stuff - did he do it during or after working hours?

Don't worry the 60% are happy paying for his time, going through his father's things...soon he will find another coded message that said, " forgot to cloak the battleship & 'cap the gun'" in 1952..followed by "oops!"...so, we know what happened right?:biggrin:

DollarsNoSense

Alfrescian
Loyal
heheh ya 60% happy cos its still national service….secret code "o1o"

Don't worry the 60% are happy paying for his time, going through his father's things...soon he will find another coded message that said, " forgot to cloak the battleship & 'cap the gun'" in 1952..followed by "oops!"...so, we know what happened right?:biggrin:

xingguy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
PM Lee shares photo of puzzling telegram sent by Mr Lee Kuan Yew in 1958

20150406_telegram_fb.jpg

Monday, April 6, 2015 - 13:43
AsiaOne

SINGAPORE - Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong has shared on social media a photo of a telegram sent by his late father, Mr Lee Kuan Yew, that puzzled the family back in 1958.

"Was amazed to find this old telegram when sorting through my father's things at home. My parents had kept it all these years! When I saw it, the old childhood memory flooded back," PM Lee wrote in a Facebook post today.

The telegram read, "ARRIVING TODAY BATTLESHIP = LEEKUANYEW".

It was sent by Mr Lee, who was still a practising lawyer then, when he was handling some cases in Sibu, Sarawak, before he returned home that day on September 26.

"My mother did not understand the message. Was my father coming home on a battleship?" PM Lee said.

He added that the secretary at Mr Lee's law firm Lee & Lee even called up the British Naval Base to check if any battleship was arriving from Sarawak, to no avail.

When Mr Lee arrived home later, he explained that he wanted to have steam boat for dinner. But because telegrams were charged by the word, Mr Lee decided to save money by using "battleship" instead of "steam boat".

"Sadly, since we had not understood the message, we did not have steam boat for dinner that night," PM Lee said.

He found the telegram while sorting through his father's things at home.

Mr Lee died on March 23 at the age of 91.

10409011_889924044403636_3945697945865378871_n.jpg

Was amazed to find this old telegram when sorting through my father’s things at home. My parents had kept it all these...
Posted by Lee Hsien Loong on Sunday, 5 April 2015

Some kind of fishing village and m&d land Singapore is back in 1958 to have telegram and telephone.

Adolf-Hitler-l.jpg

enterprise2

Alfrescian
Loyal
Somehow I can't make the mental connection between battleship and steamboat! But then my brain wired very differently from the Lees!

streetsmart73

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Hi there

1. Talking cock cock talking.
2. Machiam wasting taxpayers monies paying one super scale individual doing nothing hoh,diew

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Somehow I can't make the mental connection between battleship and steamboat! But then my brain wired very differently from the Lees!

That is why you must have exceptional brain to think like that...."steam engines" battle ship.....so according to the Venn diagram, you can deduce....'STEAMBOAT'....the secretary of L&L should have been dismissed back then... ha ha ha ha :biggrin:

HTOLAS

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
'Battleship' has 10 letters while 'steamboat', if spelt together, has 9. Go figure.

numero uno

Alfrescian
Loyal
That is why you must have exceptional brain to think like that...."steam engines" battle ship.....so according to the Venn diagram, you can deduce....'STEAMBOAT'....the secretary of L&L should have been dismissed back then... ha ha ha ha :biggrin:

such a simple thing, all the highly paid ministars and his secretary does not seem to know or how to solve the puzzle????? Let me solve it for all of you.
LKY has always said he was dyslexic and dyslexic people always cannot read and write properly although they can speak normally and are of normal or higher intelligence. this is a classic case of dyslexic writing, subsituiting steamboat with battleship(in the 1920s and 1930s all battleship in WWI were actually powered by steam engines). they tend to misuses homonyms .
moreover the old man has almost all the attributes of a dyslexic eg
Highly successful/over achiever, or considered "not working up to potential." Either way, displays extreme work ethic.
May be a perfectionist and overreact when they make a mistake.Highly intuitive - known to have "street smarts." Is often "dead on" in judging personalities of others.May be able to sense emotions and energy of others.
all characteristics listed here fit him to a T. puzzle solved!!!!!
ref:http://www.dyslexia.com/library/adult-symptoms.htm

http://www.dyslexia.com/library/adult-symptoms.htm

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

i thought on battleships from world war 1 had steam engines.

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
such a simple thing, all the highly paid ministars and his secretary does not seem to know or how to solve the puzzle????? Let me solve it for all of you.
LKY has always said he was dyslexic and dyslexic people always cannot read and write properly although they can speak normally and are of normal or higher intelligence. this is a classic case of dyslexic writing, subsituiting steamboat with battleship(in the 1920s and 1930s all battleship in WWI were actually powered by steam engines). they tend to misuses homonyms .
moreover the old man has almost all the attributes of a dyslexic eg
Highly successful/over achiever, or considered "not working up to potential." Either way, displays extreme work ethic.
May be a perfectionist and overreact when they make a mistake.Highly intuitive - known to have "street smarts." Is often "dead on" in judging personalities of others.May be able to sense emotions and energy of others.
all characteristics listed here fit him to a T. puzzle solved!!!!!
ref:http://www.dyslexia.com/library/adult-symptoms.htm

http://www.dyslexia.com/library/adult-symptoms.htm

think he was only mildly dyselxia,seeing as he managed to study up to law school and become a lawyer.richard branson was also a dylexic,dropped out of school and became a billionaire,although he came from a family of lawyers.one was a friendly personable businessman who centered his businesses around people and fun while the other became a psychopathic ahole whose paranoia and afraid of knives in the shadows.

chootchiew

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
It seems that PM has been spending a lot of time going thru old stuff - did he do it during or after working hours?

He needs to find more evident to present for his papa as a founding father. This is considered business so of course it is done during office hours. This is legal.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
You mean PAPa Lee never shared information such things with you when you were growing up, Pinky?

That's a messed up childhood. :wink: