• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Mr.Sim Wong Hoo..Pls Write Book On What Exactly Happened to Creative

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The original iPods were not SSD. They were 1.8" Toshiba HDD.

thanks for pointing that out. apple was ways along with the hdd ipod when creative gave them the idea of shrinking the next version to a sleeker model with ssd. if memory serves me right, apple settled with creative for over $200m, oops wrong, $100m. and it boiled down to the hierarchical ui, not the hardware. the itunes ecosystem, which creative did not have, was the enabler and differentiator for apple, in my opinion.

http://news.cnet.com/2100-1047_3-6108901.html

Last edited:

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
thanks for pointing that out. apple was ways along with the hdd ipod when creative gave them the idea of shrinking the next version to a sleeker model with ssd. if memory serves me right, apple settled with creative for over $200m, oops wrong, $100m. and it boiled down to the hierarchical ui, not the hardware. the itunes ecosystem, which creative did not have, was the enabler and differentiator for apple, in my opinion.

http://news.cnet.com/2100-1047_3-6108901.html

The iPod would not have been the success that it was without iTunes. Sales took off when iTunes appeared on the scene.

The_Hypocrite

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Successful company is Asia Pacific Breweries n Tiger beer.

Yeo Hiap Seng drinks.

F&N.

Y only talk abt Creative?

gingerlyn

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Yeo Hiap Seng was successful but due to family dispute, the entire group of company was bought over by Far East Group.

sucker, i dont want to drink YHS.

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Give Mr Sim some credit please... as least he was king for a while. Not many other local entrepreneurs ever reached the same heights as him.

He fought in an arena that was incredibly competitive and fast changing. Steve jobs commanded that all songs 99 cents when he launched iPod. There's no way anyone else could have dictated that kind of content sales model just to sell their music player. A lot of legal work must have gone behind the scenes to make that happen.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Yeo Hiap Seng was successful but due to family dispute, the entire group of company was bought over by Far East Group.

sucker, i dont want to drink YHS.

I still remember the YHS factory along Dunearn Road, just diagonally across King Albert Park McDonalds. Now it is a condo.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
A lot of legal work must have gone behind the scenes to make that happen.

The legal work was easy. It was getting all the music moguls to agree to the deal that was the tough part. Jobs pulled it off by painting a picture of doom from which he offered a way out and also by promising them that it would only be on the Mac platform which was a very small segment of the market at the time.

Of course he had every intention of coming up with a Windows version but he kept that close to his chest until after the store was established.

gingerlyn

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
brother army general
u forgot UOB, started as a small bank but expanded under the leadership of Uncle Wee and managed to buy over OUB and fucked DBS.
and UOB is so successful in overseas banking.

Dark Knight

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Yes lets b positive n name successful sinkie companies. Another one is bread talk.

That bread chap has always been deeply associated with the MIWs.
His bread business can easily penetrated into China and Thailand market is due to the benefit of his relationship with them.

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The legal work was easy. It was getting all the music moguls to agree to the deal that was the tough part.

Yah.. selling hardware alone can never beat owning content channels as well. No way Sim could have pulled this off for MP3.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
His bread business can easily penetrated into China and Thailand market is due to the benefit of his relationship with them.

That's how businesses grow... via relationships. It's the oldest growth formula in the book.

enterprise2

Alfrescian
Loyal
The best known Singaporean Co is still SIA. It started way b4 a Creative and today still beats all other airlines hands down.

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
sim wong hoo should have just sell off his company in the 1990s.
if he did not, he is a billionaire now.

creative and hotmail are one time wonder.
however hotmail owner ah neh is smarter and sold his hotmail business to MS

Yes he could have just sold out and become like Steve Wozniak and enjoy life but he chose to be a Steve Jobs and failed.
Another route he could have taken was to partner apple instead of going against apple. But I guess he wanted creative to be more than an OEM manufacturer. You could say he was ambitious but misread the market.

enterprise2

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes he could have just sold out and become like Steve Wozniak and enjoy life but he chose to be a Steve Jobs and failed.
Another route he could have taken was to partner apple instead of going against apple. But I guess he wanted creative to be more than an OEM manufacturer. You could say he was ambitious but misread the market.
Fatal mistake!

blackmondy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Sim Wong Hoo should have moved into the financial accounting sector.

A company with a name like "Creative Accounting" would have garnered plenty of business.