• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Hola

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Google's Schmidt predicts end of censorship within a decade

WASHINGTON | BY ALINA SELYUKH

Google Executive Chairman Eric Schmidt speaks at a promotional event for the Nexus 7 tablet in Tokyo September 25, 2012. Google Inc said it began selling its Nexus 7 tablet in Japan on Tuesday, with a starting price of 19,800 yen ($250). REUTERS/Kim Kyung-Hoon

Google Executive Chairman Eric Schmidt speaks at a promotional event for the Nexus 7 tablet in Tokyo September 25, 2012. Google Inc said it began selling its Nexus 7 tablet in Japan on Tuesday, with a starting price of 19,800 yen ($250).

REUTERS/KIM KYUNG-HOON

(Reuters) - Google Inc (GOOG.O) Executive Chairman Eric Schmidt has a bold prediction: Censorship around the world could end in a decade, and better use of encryption will help people overcome government surveillance.

In a lecture at Johns Hopkins University on Wednesday, the executive of the world's biggest web search company made a pitch for ending censorship in China and other countries with restricted freedom of speech by connecting everyone to the Internet and protecting their communication from spying.

"First they try to block you; second, they try to infiltrate you; and third, you win. I really think that's how it works. Because the power is shifted," he said.

"I believe there's a real chance that we can eliminate censorship and the possibility of censorship in a decade."

Schmidt has long spoken out against limitations to the freedom of expression and restricted Internet access around the world. Earlier this year, he traveled to North Korea, a country disconnected from the rest of the world, to promote the cause.

"It's clear that we failed. But we'll try again. We have not been invited back," he said of the personal trip, the timing of which was later criticized by the U.S. State Department as being not helpful because it came shortly after North Korea's launch of a long-range rocket.

The goal for North Korea, Schmidt said, was not democracy for now but to merely get the people to connect with the rest of the world: "My view is that if we can get some connectivity, then they'll begin to open the country, they'll begin to understand other systems."

On the home front, too, Google is now one of several tech companies embroiled in the controversy over the reach of U.S. government spying. Top secret documents disclosed by former spy agency contractor Edward Snowden have suggested the National Security Agency has tapped Google's and others' communications links to aid in its gathering of intelligence.

Schmidt at the time said that the NSA's activity, if true, was outrageous and potentially illegal.

Google, at which Schmidt served as CEO until 2011, has faced its own criticism for intercepting data over the years. The company acknowledged in 2010 that a fleet of cars it operates to map the world's streets had mistakenly collected passwords and other personal data from home consumers' wireless networks over a two year-period.

Earlier this week, Google agreed to pay $17 million to settle a probe by 37 U.S. states that it bypassed privacy settings on the iPhone's Web browser and tracked Web users.

"The solution to government surveillance is to encrypt everyone," Schmidt said on Wednesday, referring to the process of encoding data to secure it.

He acknowledged that encryption can be broken and said Snowden's revelations showed the NSA has indeed done it, but added: "With sufficiently long keys and changing the keys all the time, it turns out it's very, very difficult for the interloper of any kind to go in and do that."

Google has recently increased the length and complexity of its encryption keys, Schmidt said, calling it a constant "game of cat and mouse" between the governments and Internet users.

"It's pretty clear to me that government surveillance and the way in which governments are doing this will be here to stay in some form, because it's how the citizens will express themselves, and the governments will want to know what they're doing," Schmidt said.

"In that race, I think the censors will lose, and I think that people would be empowered."

(Reporting by Alina Selyukh; additional reporting by Alexei Oreskovic; Editing by Ken Wills)

krafty

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
i prefer to ask nonsensical questions so that everybody can laugh and i also can laugh at myself.:biggrin:

in this world that we are living, 强者必遭人妒忌,look at lky, you will understand...:eek::rolleyes::p:biggrin:

You have yet ask anything difficult. Your questions are either dumb or nonsensical.

Hans168

Alfrescian
Loyal
What the events over the last few days have shown is that the aggrieved party doesn't have to be the complainant. It can be anyone who is distressed as the result of the criticism.

For example you call Ho Ching by her nickname Whore Jinx. Mdm Ho may not care two hoots about the rants of a rabid, obnoxious, disrespectful twit but I, an ardent admirer of Mdm Ho and her investment abilities which surpass that of Buffet, suffer significant distress because of those words so I can hunt down the perpetrator and slap a restraining order upon him/her.

The fact that it costs $300 to file an injunction means the rich and the powerful immediately have the upper hand. The more money you have, the more critics you can silence.

The legislation is ridiculous and I will take all measures to ensure that nobody in this forum gets in trouble. I may be an ardent fan of the PAP but I strongly believe that everyone has a right to say their piece. The person on the receiving has every right to reply accordingly.

I thot ID of poster cannot be traced since not logged in..

takashi

Alfrescian
Loyal
The legislation is ridiculous and I will take all measures to ensure that nobody in this forum gets in trouble. I may be an ardent fan of the PAP but I strongly believe that everyone has a right to say their piece. The person on the receiving has every right to reply accordingly.
I've added your post to the following thread:
Ah leong back to being anti PAP?
I have not changed my stance whatsoever. I support most of PAP's policies 100%. Show me where I have done otherwise.
I have yet to be shown which post(s) of mine contain criticism of the PAP. :rolleyes:
Still waiting for someone to point out where I have made an anti PAP post since LKY's demise. :rolleyes:
I'm trying my best to find it! :p
I just need a few more hours! :wink:

Last edited:

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
I thot ID of poster cannot be traced since not logged in..

The ID cannot be traced from the forum logs but since all connections from Singapore ISPs pass through a giant proxy, it can be traced at your end. Using a VPN will make this task a lot harder.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
The ID cannot be traced from the forum logs but since all connections from Singapore ISPs pass through a giant proxy, it can be traced at your end. Using a VPN will make this task a lot harder.

I guessed most of forumers' identity had already been known and traced before like you said at our end to use a VPN now is useless unless start new nick and faithfully using the VPN each time. My assumption always is, they already know me.

Using a VPN is convenient for me like I'm Indonesia sammyboy.com is blocked and VPN overcomes that. Have to say that the Great Firewall of China is really something, StrongVPN cannot be use at al recently, don't know about the rests.

sirus

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Clap, clap, clap!

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
Using a VPN is convenient for me like I'm Indonesia sammyboy.com is blocked and VPN overcomes that. Have to say that the Great Firewall of China is really something, StrongVPN cannot be use at al recently, don't know about the rests.

What about singsupplies.com? Is that blocked too?

takashi

Alfrescian
Loyal
I'm not anti PAP. I support the party 100%.

However, I am against the Protection from Harassment Act 2014 which I think is absolutely ridiculous.
1. Protection from Harassment Act 2014 now in force | Ministry of Law
2. Parliament has been controlled by the PAP for the past half-century.

3. Supporting the PAP "100%" means supporting EVERY single policy or law by the PAP!

4. Unless 100% minus 1% (for example) = 100% (and not 99%)? :wink::p

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
I guessed most of forumers' identity had already been known and traced before like you said at our end to use a VPN now is useless unless start new nick and faithfully using the VPN each time. My assumption always is, they already know me.

I doubt if anyone has bothered to trace the identity of any members here. There was one guy they were after and that was scroobal and I received repeated requests to reveal details of his account. However, since IPs are not logged I simply stated that the information was not available and that was the truth.

The rest of the people here are no threat whatsoever. Most of them are buffoons and clowns and are no threat whatsoever.

However, with the tightening of laws regarding what is considered to be on line harassment, I foresee more requests in future not from the government but from individuals who want to track down their detractors.

It would therefore be appropriate to make things as difficult as possible. For example if there is a court order to my host to reveal the server logs and your connection is via VPN, the IP address logged will be that of the VPN company and not your ISP.

Since IPVanish does not keep logs, finding where the connection came from will be a major challenge and probably beyond the resources of an average individual. He/she would need assistance from the experts.

Based on the content you post, I doubt if any government or individual is interested in tracking you down. However, since you have already met other members of the forum, it would very easy to find you simply by pretending to be friendly and requesting a meeting.

takashi

Alfrescian
Loyal
For example if there is a court order to my host to reveal the server logs...
If your host is a company headquartered, and also operating, outside Singapore, is a Singaporean court so powerful that it can get that foreign host to comply with its "order"? :confused: