• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Toh Chin Chye remembers it differently....

Confuseous

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
For those who are better informed, this is going to be one helluva gruelling week. Already the state television channels are playing the clip over and over ad nauseam, the one where the guy sheds crocodile tears after being tufted out of Malaysia.

Toh Chin Chye tells it different. Lee Kuan Yew, in his frustration with Malay rights, was becoming more and more anti-Malay in his speeches, particularly when he was abroad. All this was duly reported by Reuters and Cablenews and reached the ears of the Malaysian Government. Of course Kuala Lumpur reacted badly, some of the things he said were really insulting. He called them "Mad Mullahs" and all that.

It was Toh's turn to be frustrated. He told Melanie Chew, ("Leaders of Singapore", Resource Press (1996), page 97):
"He was crying,I don't understand him at all. On one hand, he worked so hard for merger. Having gotten the cupful, he shattered it. And then cried over it."

Lee held two successive conferences, and in both of which he cried. When he learnt from the press secretary, Lee Wei Ching (no relation), another was being scheduled, Toh had had enough. "You ought to tell the Prime Minister to go to Changi and take a rest. Call the press conference off! Another crying bout, and the people of Singapore will think the government is on its knees."

When asked if Lee was in a very emotional state because he felt he had made a blunder, Toh would only say, "You have to interview him on that. I cannot answer for him."

Chew's bulky volume is a good read, and contains interviews with every Singapore personality who had a hand in our nation building. Devan Nair, Goh Keng Swee, Lim Kim San, Rajaratnam, Ong Pang Boon, Lim Chin Siong, Lee Siew Choh, they are all included. With the significant exception of one Lee Kuan Yew. As they say, dead men tell no tales. Just don't expect the hard truth from the state controlled media.
http://singaporedesk.blogspot.sg/2015/03/tales-from-crypt.html

gingerlyn

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
simply put it:
lee kuan yew want to be singapore king and he knows that he cannot be singapore king if singapore is with Malaya.
lee kuan yew was actually very happy to be kicked out by Malaya

virus

Alfrescian
Loyal
Con yew should have been removed back then as it was obvious he was wayanging or mentallee unstable.

zeebjii

Alfrescian
Loyal
simply put it:
lee kuan yew want to be singapore king and he knows that he cannot be singapore king if singapore is with Malaya.

I think he's far more ambitious..

lee kuan yew want to be king of singapore AND malaysia.

GOD IS MY DOG

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
For those who are better informed, this is going to be one helluva gruelling week. Already the state television channels are playing the clip over and over ad nauseam, the one where the guy sheds crocodile tears after being tufted out of Malaysia.

Toh Chin Chye tells it different. Lee Kuan Yew, in his frustration with Malay rights, was becoming more and more anti-Malay in his speeches, particularly when he was abroad. All this was duly reported by Reuters and Cablenews and reached the ears of the Malaysian Government. Of course Kuala Lumpur reacted badly, some of the things he said were really insulting. He called them "Mad Mullahs" and all that.

It was Toh's turn to be frustrated. He told Melanie Chew, ("Leaders of Singapore", Resource Press (1996), page 97):
"He was crying,I don't understand him at all. On one hand, he worked so hard for merger. Having gotten the cupful, he shattered it. And then cried over it."

Lee held two successive conferences, and in both of which he cried. When he learnt from the press secretary, Lee Wei Ching (no relation), another was being scheduled, Toh had had enough. "You ought to tell the Prime Minister to go to Changi and take a rest. Call the press conference off! Another crying bout, and the people of Singapore will think the government is on its knees."

When asked if Lee was in a very emotional state because he felt he had made a blunder, Toh would only say, "You have to interview him on that. I cannot answer for him."

Chew's bulky volume is a good read, and contains interviews with every Singapore personality who had a hand in our nation building. Devan Nair, Goh Keng Swee, Lim Kim San, Rajaratnam, Ong Pang Boon, Lim Chin Siong, Lee Siew Choh, they are all included. With the significant exception of one Lee Kuan Yew. As they say, dead men tell no tales. Just don't expect the hard truth from the state controlled media.
http://singaporedesk.blogspot.sg/2015/03/tales-from-crypt.html

LKY forced the split so he could take over the island.............all part of the plan

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Toh Chin Chye was just a jerkoff who was sore about making way for a younger breed of leaders. I remember that he was very supportive of many of Mr LKY's ideas about a state-controlled press and the use of grassroots leaders to help win popular support.

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
simply put it:

He engineered the exit of Sinkapore by stirring up racial tensions there and kick up a fight with Tunku Adbul Rahman.

rotiprata

Alfrescian
Loyal
me think you're probably a FT-sinkie who join the rust roots to upgrade your por lumparity skills
suggest you go read up on TCC memoirs... :biggrin:

Toh Chin Chye was just a jerkoff who was sore about making way for a younger breed of leaders. I remember that he was very supportive of many of Mr LKY's ideas about a state-controlled press and the use of grassroots leaders to help win popular support.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Were you born yet, when Toh Chin Chin, Lim Kim San, Ong Pang Boon, E.W. Barker, Rajaratnam.....when they were running the country? I think not......have a balance view, hear from both sides & decide.

It is people & many like you, will help this country down a slippery road of decline..." hear only the good things" & see only the "emperor's new clothes"...

ahpong

Alfrescian
Loyal

I would think Dr Toh is the Zhao Zi Yang of Singapore. He had a heart for the students. That's why he was kicked out of University of Singapore after the student incidents.

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Let's just say if Toh is as you described, what's bloody wrong with that? He worked his butts off, why should he accept being pushed out? If Toh is dispensable, Old Fart should be too. Old Fart just didn't want to share the fruits of the labour and thus got rid of his team one by one.

He may be supportive of the policies for a while but he realized that those policies cannot be kept indefinitely. His criticism led to Old Fart kicking him out. Old Fart just can't take it when he is being questioned. He wants only yes man.