• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

In a Post-LKY era, Singapore is finished!!!

soIsee

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: New direction for Singapore

A self conceited specie who will rush for anything FREE and be self centered only of their own concern in making money will not see ANY GOOD change coming after LKY.

It is now a rudderless ship with a incompetent captain left at the steer, whose well fed mates will jump to a better ship, the moment it is about to hit the rocks.

Which is just as well, as since Sinkie for over 50 years could not be bothered where the wind brings them to and letting LKY takes total control over the steer, they might as well let the present incompetent captain crash the ship and die in it!

Seee3

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

WATARU YOSHIDA, Nikkei staff writers
A government survey from 2013 found that 44% of respondents ages 15-19 valued freedom of expression more than preventing social tensions, while only 37% chose the reverse.

This part reminded me of Ken Kwek's video on his question to lky, whether he is going to ignore the 5 to 10% of the people who view freedom as of more important than bread and butter issues which end up with lky asking for his files.

Perhaps if he had taken Ken's question more seriously and adapted to accommodate the growing pool of people who believes in freedom, .....

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal

In the country's earlier independent days, it was easier. Modernise, and catch up with the industrial nations. So just see, copy, implement. Now that Singapore is probably the most developed community on the equatorial belt, she will need to come up with new ideas, concepts which were never before tested or tried, if she can conceive such ideas. Worse still, with no more land, I'd say its tough. Politically, the ruling PAP has little fresh new ideas to suggest and may appear to be "stale" to the electorate, all they have is to harp on "proven achievements."

Cheers!

Yes change is coming.... But what kind of changes remain to be seen?

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal

Now, it is up to his son's decision whether to take the people seriously or not. What do you think?

Cheers!

This part reminded me of Ken Kwek's video on his question to lky, whether he is going to ignore the 5 to 10% of the people who view freedom as of more important than bread and butter issues which end up with lky asking for his files.

Perhaps if he had taken Ken's question more seriously and adapted to accommodate the growing pool of people who believes in freedom, .....

xpo2015

Alfrescian
Loyal

It is okay. I can remotely influence the Parliament. Hopefully they will take heed and not mess up. This is the power of the internet

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Re: Post LKY Games begin

Singapore's sovereignty is a farce anyway, and NS has lost all its meaning.

The pappies are too cowardly to offend those rich Tiong investors anyway, so suck it up and bend over. :cool:

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Re: Post LKY Games begin

U think too much, past few yrs lky already played minimal role in politics. U think he could interfere with his mouth hung open and sat on wheelchair? If neighbours chose to give trouble don't have to wait for old bastard to die. U, like others who waited for old bastard to die for drastic changes, are simply too naive.

Minimal role but he was still alive and a symbolic figurehead.

JOKERCHEW

Alfrescian
Loyal

One Direction:
Waiting for my next concert?

Attachments

• mr-bean-one-direction.jpeg
    mr-bean-one-direction.jpeg
    39.3 KB · Views: 489

jw5

Loyal

That's what our Assistant Deputy Senior Deputy Assistant Moderator Zhihau said in the days of yore! :p

Confuseous

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
What LKY's death tells us about our culture

I have resisted the urge to jump on the LKY bandwagon - but after having spoken to another Singaporean blogger today (one whom I have a lot of admiration for), I decided to speak up primarily for her. And look, this is not a criticism about Lee Kuan Yew. Believe it or not, I actually have a lot of respect for the great man for a simple reason.

There was no guarantee that LKY would become the founding father of Singapore - Singapore was going through very uncertain times in the late 1950s and early 1960s, LKY fought hard to climb to the top of the pecking order in Singaporean politics and he did what he had to do to stay on top. Some say he was ruthless, others have called him a dictator - good luck to those who dare to challenge him.

Having said that, I didn't always agree with his policies and certainly, I do question the future direction of Singapore - but that has far more to do with the way I feel about the current leadership given that LKY had effectively stepped back from politics in his final years.

What I don't like it s the way some people think that nobody has the right to say anything vaguely negative about LKY upon his death - whilst I have deep respect for LKY, I do believe that there should still always be space for us to speak openly about his past and his legacy without any need for draconian censorship.

http://limpehft.blogspot.sg/2015/03/what-lkys-death-tells-us-about-culture.html

enterprise2

Alfrescian
Loyal

In the country's earlier independent days, it was easier. Modernise, and catch up with the industrial nations. So just see, copy, implement. Now that Singapore is probably the most developed community on the equatorial belt, she will need to come up with new ideas, concepts which were never before tested or tried, if she can conceive such ideas. Worse still, with no more land, I'd say its tough. Politically, the ruling PAP has little fresh new ideas to suggest and may appear to be "stale" to the electorate, all they have is to harp on "proven achievements."

Cheers!

I always wondered what's the next step when we hit 10m and every tree shrub has been torn down to make way for building and infrastructure?? We hit the brick wall literally!

Scrooball (clone)

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: What LKY's death tells us about our culture

That's why u are here. U can talk shit, scold his five generations and go back to your shit reality.

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset

That's what our Assistant Deputy Senior Deputy Assistant Moderator Zhihau said in the days of yore! :p

Bro,

I said so many things, can jog my memory? :o:o:o

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Re: What LKY's death tells us about our culture

Sinkieland is very sterile and boring... how the fuck you people can live there???

Thailand is the best!!!!

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
AFP : will climate of fear remain after Lee Kuan Yew is gone...

http://sgfuck.org/mybb/images/english/newreply.gif
Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
AuthorMessage
Today 10:01 PM http://sgfuck.org/mybb/images/mobile/posted_0.gif Post: #1
sgbuffett http://sgfuck.org/mybb/images/buddy_online.gif
Elite Member
http://sgfuck.org/mybb/uploads/avatars/avatar_8797.jpg?dateline=1388052164
The death of Lee Kuan Yew has generated calls for Singapore to escape the shadow of its authoritarian founder and his “culture of fear”, and begin a debate on embracing freedoms needed to power growth and innovation.

But observers say the current crop of leaders will resist any change to the status quo that has for decades insulated them from criticism, particularly as they face a new generation of voters with a different vision for the future.

The 91-year-old patriarch who died Monday transformed Singapore into a high-tech industrial hub and financial centre but also entrenched a system notorious for one-party rule, the muzzling of the press and curbing of political liberties.

But opposition to government policies has become more strident in recent years after the Internet afforded Singaporeans an alternative venue to vent their frustrations outside the tightly controlled mainstream media.

And while there has been an outpouring of affection for Lee since he was hospitalised in February, even he was not immune to virulent online attacks from disillusioned citizens complaining about immigration, the cost of living and other hot-button issues.

Need for national debate

Younger, better-educated Singaporeans have become increasingly vocal about reforms and the pursuit of economic gain above all else, and some analysts hope Lee’s passing will spark a national debate on the need to loosen up.

One of them is Lim Jialiang, a 24-year-old activist and sociology student at Nanyang Technological University who said many young people have little emotional attachment to the city-state’s founder.

While they are saddened by his death, “what is important is that we find ways to get away from the myths about him after all this”.

But prominent Singaporean activist and blogger Alex Au said Lee’s death could have the opposite effect on the ruling People’s Action Party (PAP) which is now led by the patriarch’s son, Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong.

“Especially because Lee Kuan Yew has passed on, it is quite possible to imagine that the government under his son might feel even more insecure, and insecurity is a strong argument for keeping controls in place,” he told AFP.

Au earlier this month was fined by the High Court for “scandalising” the judiciary in an online court case, for which he also apologised.

“In the long term if you look across different countries, liberalisation happens when either the popular pressure becomes irresistible or when a leader feels secure enough to want to leave it as his legacy. I don’t think these two conditions are in place in Singapore,” he said.

‘Strongman gone, fear lessened’

Independent film-maker Martyn See said Lee’s death is expected to lift “the culture of fear that has dogged Singapore civil society for decades” but expects the government to resist any pressure toward greater freedom.

“The strongman is gone, the fear is lessened, there will be more people speaking up than ever before,” said See, whose films have been banned by the government because of their political content.

“The authoritarian instinct will rear its head but it will not be prolonged because Singaporeans will decide that enough is enough.”

But respected Singaporean academic Cherian George, an associate professor at the Hong Kong Baptist University, said the country’s political controls are so entrenched they are no longer dependent on Lee’s presence.

“The current leaders find it just too convenient to continue with a system that insulates them from the kind of contention and pressure that leaders in more open and competitive democracies face,” he told AFP.

Analysts say there is a strong economic incentive for Singapore to loosen up as it shifts to high-value industries that require creativity and innovation, and that while Lee’s firm hand guided to it to prosperity, those same values are now holding it back.

The tropical island also wants to shed its image as a dull, rules-based society and develop a vibrant local arts scene and attract more universities, think tanks and international research centres.

“Freedom, transparency and competition in the economy are essential drivers and expectations of a high-end economy,” said Bridget Welsh, a senior research associate at the Center for East Asia Democratic Studies at the National Taiwan University.

“Singapore has hampered its growth by holding onto an old model,” she told AFP, adding that openness is essential “for economic dynamism”.

See, the film-maker, said the examples of Hong Kong, Taiwan and South Korea “have proven that democratic freedoms can co-exist alongside economic prosperity”.

“Singaporeans by now have realised that you don’t have to trade your civil liberties with economic prosperity, especially the young. It’s a false trade-off.”

Source: AFP

60%: yes!