• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Passing of Mr Lee Kuan Yew

Which world leader will NOT make it for the funeral

• Obama

Votes: 13 59.1%
  • Cameron

Votes: 7 31.8%
  • Putin

Votes: 13 59.1%
  • Abbott

Votes: 6 27.3%
  • Merkel

Votes: 7 31.8%
  • Xi

Votes: 10 45.5%

• Total voters

HTOLAS

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The Bhutanese king and queen.

bhutan-king-at-lky-wake-data.jpg

Cosmos10

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
For the benefit of those who have not (or would not) go to the Parliament House to pay your "respects", you can watch it live at the following link for a few more hours....

Seriously, I am waiting for next Monday to arrive soon.

I respect LKY.

But I wonder is there any brother here, who like me, is beginning to have a headache with all these info overloads huh?

[video=youtube;u7fvd6ndZkc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7fvd6ndZkc&feature=youtu.be[/video]

blackmore

Alfrescian
Loyal
I agree with bro Cosmos10, respect is from the heart and not necessary by physical actions. Paying last respect to him is not the only means to showcase our love for the old man. Standing in line for 10 hours just to pay respect is something which I find it difficult to rationalised. Its almost like the Hello Kitty saga at Macs all over.

My whole week has already been adversely affected by cancellations and disruptions just by his passings. Worst is after a day's work, the constant barrage of tributes of his trial and tribulations on all channels. Yes, I feel sick with the State media overload.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
But I wonder is there any brother here, who like me, is beginning to have a headache with all these info overloads huh?

That is precisely the point. Propaganda.

LKY's history had been far from spotless but the impression you get from the controlled local media is as though he is a saint or Jesus incarnate. :rolleyes:

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
That is precisely the point. Propaganda.

LKY's history had been far from spotless but the impression you get from the controlled local media is as though he is a saint or Jesus incarnate. :rolleyes:

The SG media reflects its ranking in the world, and accordingly, with respect, did not provide a more balanced perspective.

The only media or individual who mentioned his less than stellar history, I believe a major weakness, is from what I have read, the homily by the Archbishop of Singapore.
With respect, regardless of what I have read, I do not believe that those "Catholics" were Marxists.

[ please refer to: http://www.sammyboy.com/showthread.php?203730-Catholic-Church-has-forgiven-LKY ]

As Francis Seow said: "We are all human beings. We have our strengths and weaknesses."

Although I was very young then, I believe that the "Two is Enough" policy is a huge mistake, followed by the almost open door policy to allow numerous foreign workers.

Last edited:

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset

Although I was very young then, I believe that the "Two is Enough" policy is a huge mistake, followed by the almost open door policy to allow numerous foreign workers.

The "Two is enough" policy was LKY at his best. He could foresee the problems that procreation patterns would be causing 2 generations down the road.

The mistake was in the execution. The policy failed in its implementation. In fact it backfired with the wrong ethnic group abiding by the policy while the ethnic group that it was targeted towards ignored it and carried on with their merry ways.

Had the policy worked, Singapore wouldn't be the shit hole that it is today. The open door policy is a consequence of the failure in the implementation of the stop at two policy.

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The "Two is enough" policy was LKY at his best. He could foresee the problems that procreation patterns would be causing 2 generations down the road.

The mistake was in the execution. The policy failed in its implementation. In fact it backfired with the wrong ethnic group abiding by the policy while the ethnic group that it was targeted towards ignored it and carried on with their merry ways.

Had the policy worked, Singapore wouldn't be the shit hole that it is today. The open door policy is a consequence of the failure in the implementation of the stop at two policy.

It is impossible to use a general policy to target at one ethnic group.
The liberalization of the banking sector did not go well.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
It is impossible to use a general policy to target at one ethnic group.
The liberalization of the banking sector did not go well.

It targeted all ethnic groups.

The same rules implicitly applied to all but the problem was that the group that was procreating at twice the rate continued to do so.

The next stage was to try to balance things out by offering incentives to a particular category. Unfortunately that did not work either. It's comparison with Hitler's eugenics was too much for even LKY to stomach.

The failures were because the geopolitical situation did not allow LKY to bulldoze the issue through with his usual no nonsense style using his knuckle dusters. He was forced to tread very softly in order to retain some degree of normalcy in Singapore's relationship with its neighbours.

In the end the only choice was to open the floodgates in order to maintain the status quo.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
Sam,
Thank you for enlightening me.
Have a pleasant weekend.
Cheers.

The one area where the PAP has succeeded is in the implementation of a discriminatory immigration policy. It continues to amaze me how it has not turned into a public controversy. I cannot be the only person that is aware of this.

takashi

Alfrescian
Loyal
The one area where the PAP has succeeded is in the implementation of a discriminatory immigration policy. It continues to amaze me how it has not turned into a public controversy. I cannot be the only person that is aware of this.
Do you mean granting more PR statuses and citizenships to people who are ethnically Chinese?
If that's what you mean, then it's already a public controversy because most Sinkie chinks hate PRC chinks, right?

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
Do you mean granting more PR statuses and citizenships to people who are ethnically Chinese?
If that's what you mean, then it's already a public controversy because most Sinkie chinks hate PRC chinks, right?

It's not who they grant PR/citizenship to that is potentially controversial. It's who they keep out.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
May I ask for a few examples?
This is one thing I don't have much knowledge about.

Come on.... surely I don't have to spell it out in black and white. There are tons of new arrivals by the bucket load on a daily basis. Pinoys, Chinks, Indians, Ang Mohs etc. Who is missing?

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Yup it targetted the wrong ethnic group indeed the one that likes to whine and complain like syed putra and whoami.