• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Pap mp baey yam keng: S'poreans must respect the decisions of the govt

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
[h=1]PAP MP BAEY YAM KENG: S'POREANS MUST RESPECT THE DECISIONS OF THE GOVT[/h]
Post date:
22 Mar 2015 - 12:08pm

<Pic Credit: TheGSpot, Facebook>

At a forum to explore the definition of a family unit in Singapore, PAP MP Baey Yam Keng called for Singaporeans to be prepared to respect the decisions the Government made. He made the call in response to the two previous speakers, Jolene Tan from women rights advocate AWARE and Leow Yangfa from LGBT counselling group Oogachaga, who are appealing for the government to be equal on different type of families.

The first speaker, Jolene Tan, the programs and senior communications manager of AWARE, highlighted the inequality of that exist between different type of families including disparity of maternal leave for single mothers, access to shelter for unwed and married mothers, and the risk of deportation for migrant spouses and migrant parents of Singaporeans. She also criticized the PAP government's "pragmatic" attitude towards the family: "I find it difficult to understand how our current perspective towards the family can be said to be pragmatic. What can be more abstract than these abstract moral convictions about what the family is, while disregarding the real impacts of these policies and attitudes on family members and families?"

The second speaker, Leow Yangfa, the deputy executive director of Oogachaga, explained that he was told by NUS to be "less gay" and political. "I was told by the organizers to be less gay, less political and to be more social worker. But as a social worker, it is my responsibility to advocate for the wellness of my clients and I cannot stay silent on the issue of S377A of the penal code." Mr Leow further advocated for equal treatment of all families saying "As a son, a brother, a nephew, an uncle, I have no great desire to redefine “family”. I have it, I cherish it, I live it, and I know it. But what I want is for our society to reach a stage when I no longer have to have my family up for debate, when I no longer have to advocate to be treated equally by others in our society."

MP Baey Yam Keng, the last speaker at the forum, however noted that the two previous speakers were "roughly stand (ing) on the same side of the fence" and criticized the duo that "there is a danger of groups falling into an echo chamber in which their own views were reinforced." He also said that the discussion should not be limited to one end of the spectrum and claimed that there is a need to proactively seek out those who hold "more moderate views in the middle spectrum".

MP Baey also emphasized that Singaporeans must be prepared to respect the decisions made (by the Government) and accommodate one another. Speaking on his personal capacity, MP Baey said he is against same-sex marriage and that "a man is not a mother and a woman is not a father" without giving clarifications to his statements.

greenies

Alfrescian
Loyal
MP Baey said he is against same-sex marriage and that "a man is not a mother and a woman is not a father" without giving clarifications to his statements.

His statement about mother and father will go against him in future.
There are numerous evidences of man being a mother to family and woman being a father for the family.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
This is the only time I agree with Baey Ta Tahan..." A Man is not a Mother & a Woman is not a Father"....I have nothing against the gays, they can go practice what they want to practice, but not to impose their values on us, that is what I am against. As a human being I respect them, anything else...a Father is not a Mother....

congo9

Alfrescian
Loyal
This is the only time I agree with Baey Ta Tahan..." A Man is not a Mother & a Woman is not a Father"....I have nothing against the gays, they can go practice what they want to practice, but not to impose their values on us, that is what I am against. As a human being I respect them, anything else...a Father is not a Mother....

For once, i do agree with him.

A Man is not a Mother & a Woman is not a Father