• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Benchmark ns pay against median salary of top 1000 earners aged 23

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
BENCHMARK NS PAY AGAINST MEDIAN SALARY OF TOP 1000 EARNERS AGED 23
Post date:
14 Mar 2015 - 11:28am

Singaporean youths have been shortchanged by the government and it’s about time to revise the NS allowance. First, we look at PAP’s salary.

PAP claims they have sacrificed but ministerial salaries are benchmarked against the median income of the top 1,000 earners with a 40% ‘discount’. A new minister currently earns $1.1 million. To put this figure into perspective, it is actually an increase of 3,600% since 1965 when a minister’s annual salary was $30,000. This excludes about $200,000 in MP allowance.

When NS was introduced in 1967, the allowance for a recruit was $40. Fast forward 48 years, it has risen1,200% to $480. The government appears to have benchmarked NS allowance to the lowest wages with perhaps also a 40% discount?

The PAP should not recognise its ‘sacrifice’ with financial rewards while recognising NS sacrifices with peanuts.

If NS is as important as PAP claims, it’s about time the government applies the same PAP’s financial yardstick to NS pay ie peg to median salary of top 1,000 earner aged 23 less 40%.

A reasonable allowance in high cost Singapore would be around $1,500 to $2,000. Even then, there exists an element of sacrifice – the loss of more than 2 years of private sector experience compared to non NS peers such as FTs.

If PAP wants to continue paying slave NS allowance, it should improve productivity in training and reduce the 2-year stint to 6 months. It should not make use of an increased headcount to justify having 20 paper generals in the army.

A lot of time is wasted – spent waiting due to poor planning. The completion of NS in 6 months is a possibility if not for PAP’s ulterior motive in having a 2-year stint.

At about $500, the NS allowance is a slap in the face, zero dignity if you were to ask one PAP MP. If NSFs are protecting one of the world’s most expensive real estate, the ‘protection fee’ should not come cheap.

Is it not fair to benchmark NS pay against the median salary of top 1,000 earners aged 23 with a 40% ‘discount’ to signify the sacrifice as what PAP has done for ministerial salary?

Phillip Ang
*The writer blogs at https://likedatosocanmeh.wordpress.com/

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
NS cannot be measured in terms of money only. This is because men have to give up their freedom for two years in order to train and serve as soldiers. Even if we pay each NSman $2500 a month, there would be people who would grumble ask, why not pay $3000 a month instead? There will be no end to this.

FYI, I did NS and ICT, and my NS salary was much lower than what our boys are now currently getting.

sirus

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
NS men: We (NSF) the unwilling, trained by the unskilled (MINDEF), to do the impossible, for the ungrateful (PAP).

xebay11

Alfrescian
Loyal
NS cannot be measured in terms of money only. This is because men have to give up their freedom for two years in order to train and serve as soldiers. Even if we pay each NSman $2500 a month, there would be people who would grumble ask, why not pay $3000 a month instead? There will be no end to this.

FYI, I did NS and ICT, and my NS salary was much lower than what our boys are now currently getting.

Your time was when police man wear shots, high cost Singapore today is different.

chuckyworld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Our time are great, boh arni many FT, also hor bery bery how lian to be called Singapore lang, until the leh kong party change bolicy to hor FT free entry ticket leh , all go down long kang liao, how to be proud Singapore lang any more...:biggrin:

Reddog

Alfrescian
Loyal

Hey John Tan, have you consulted your fellow grassloot leeder Mr. Yang Yin before you post in this thread ? Did your mp intan approved of your composition ??

virus

Alfrescian
Loyal

He is rite. You are rite. To prevent tongue wagering. The pay should b pegged to $5000 per monthm now noone will complain.

mojito

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes. Benchmark to top 1000 bangla workers in singapore. That would be like for like comparison so nobdy should complain.

Satyr

Alfrescian
Loyal
When resources are cheap they will be wasted. Pay privates at least the minimum pay for security officers. Then let the high power brains in MINDEF figure out how to get the outcomes desired in minimum time. Two full time years is way too long.

lifeafter41

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

I vividly recall my recruit pay WAS S$130
S$130, that time already curse and swear.

Frankly was wondering how I managed to get by thereafter even with the increase to I believe was less than S$180 after BMT.

mojito

Alfrescian
Loyal
Very simple. Pay all NS boys 3k per month. Food charge 1k, lodging charge 1.5k. Should be just right for cost recovery and still pay tax to IRAS.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
A reasonable allowance in high cost Singapore would be around $1,500 to $2,000.

NS men are already receiving a remuneration package worth far more than $2000 as board, lodging, entertainment, food, clothing, medical treatment are all part of the package.

Reddog

Alfrescian
Loyal

lifeafter41

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Bristish Army (Lowest grade: New Entrance Rate) = GBP 14492 per year or SGD 2415 per month.

US Army (Lowest grade: Private E1) = USD 18378 per yer or SGD 2131 per month.

[Using Friday Conversion rate).

You must understand this is before tax, after tax, it really becomes very little.
I recall reading an article, being in the US Army, is one of the not too well paid job, unlike the regulars here in Singapore, exception is the NS guys.

If you are an officer in Singapore, regular ones especially, you will make good.
Easily 8 to 10g, depending on rank.

Cerebral

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
You must understand this is before tax, after tax, it really becomes very little.
I recall reading an article, being in the US Army, is one of the not too well paid job, unlike the regulars here in Singapore, exception is the NS guys.

If you are an officer in Singapore, regular ones especially, you will make good.
Easily 8 to 10g, depending on rank.

You talking about colonel is it. There are 3 officer pay schemes, Farmer, Grads and Scholars. The difference between Farmer and Scholars in the same rank can be massively different. For Farmers, I think when they hit Maj 2 or LTC then got 8 to 10k, that is before superscale.