• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

American students lose interest in studying in China

TrueColors

Alfrescian
Loyal

American students lose interest in studying in China

Lack of job opportunities and pollution blamed as number of Americans studying on mainland drops, while Chinese clamour for a US education

PUBLISHED : Saturday, 14 March, 2015, 1:26am
UPDATED : Saturday, 14 March, 2015, 1:26am

Reuters in Shanghai

2c6d95a0fa7f4f918148f6a356e257c9.jpg

American students' interest in language studies in China is waning. Photo: Imaginechina

Americans are getting cold feet about studying Chinese in China, with many study abroad programmes experiencing a substantial drop in enrolment.

At the University of California Education Abroad Programme (UCEAP), student enrolment in programmes in China is expected to be less than half the level it was four years ago. Washington-based CET, another study abroad group, says interest in China has been falling since 2013.

The apparent waning of interest worries some China watchers. Given the importance of the US-China relationship, having a group of Americans across various industries who speak Chinese and understand the culture is "a matter of national interest", says Robert Daly, director of the Kissinger Institute on China and the United States at the Wilson Centre in Washington.

"We can't respond coherently, effectively and fully to China unless we understand China on its own terms," he said.

The Institute of International Education says the number of US students studying in China fell 3.2 per cent in 2012-13 to 14,413, even as overall study abroad numbers rose modestly.

American students' apparent loss of interest contrasts with Chinese students' clamour for a US education. The number of Chinese studying in the US jumped 16.5 per cent in 2013-14 to more than 274,000.

For US students, China's notorious pollution is a concern. Job opportunities are another. As multinationals in China hire mostly locals, a growing percentage of whom have studied abroad, they have less need for foreigners who speak Chinese.

"I came to China thinking I could learn Chinese and get a high-paying job. I learned very quickly that was not the case," said Ian Weissgerber, a 25-year-old American graduate student in China.

"A lot of Chinese can speak English just as well as I can, and Chinese is their native tongue too."

Gordon Schaeffer, research director at UCEAP, says surveys suggest the decline might also reflect students' migration to science and technology majors.

Wang Huiyao, president of the Centre for China and Globalisation, says there are too few agents in the US bringing students to China, and bemoans the US government's inability to force universities to send more.

When students do come to China, they are coming for shorter periods of time, and often more for travel than study.

Enrolment in entry level Chinese is almost half the level of 2007 at Middlebury College in Vermont, renowned for its language instruction.

"It really comes down to money," says John Thomson, a veteran China study abroad executive. "You're taking yourself out of the job market for a couple years to study an extremely difficult language with no guaranteed pay-off at the end."

Xiong Bingqi, an education researcher with the 21st Century Education Research Institute, said Chinese students often learnt English to watch Hollywood movies or US television. "Should we also promote Chinese movies or TV shows to attract American students to learn Chinese?" he asked.

Additional reporting by Laura Zhou

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
How many still think that forcing Sporeans to learn mandarin was a good idea:confused:

Wasn't it LKY's idea:confused: He could have just offered it as an option but of course he used the stick. Even his grandson couldn't cope.

yellowarse

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Language is key. Many of the younger Chinese in the big cities are bilingual, having studied English as a second language up to high school.

Most Americans are monolingual, or weakly bilingual with a rudimentary foundation in a foreign language. So there's no competitive advantage for an American in the Chinese job market unless he has a very strong grasp of Chinese and speaks Mandarin fluently, like Frenchman Julien Gaudfroy, who speaks Beijing Mandarin at a native level, perfect French, and very very good English.

[video=youtube;PYlnJpvRwX8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYlnJpvRwX8[/video]

yellowarse

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Continental Europeans are generally bi- or multilingual and tend to fare better in Asian countries.

[video=youtube;guj1t4W8QeQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=guj1t4W8QeQ[/video]

yellowarse

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
How many still think that forcing Sporeans to learn mandarin was a good idea:confused:

Disagree. It's because the Americans are monolingual that they can't compete for jobs in China. Likewise, try looking for a job in Japan or Korea if you're only proficient in English.

krafty

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
come to s'pore, our education system is the best, we are trained bilingual since young.:rolleyes:

po2wq

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
come to s'pore, our education system is the best, we are trained bilingual since young.:rolleyes:
ya. man! ...

sinkielan education system is world crass, world bestest, world lumpar 1 ...

dey shud cum 2 sinkielan 2 study chinese ...

guaranteeed got free skolarship summor! ... summor got spg's ...

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Disagree. It's because the Americans are monolingual that they can't compete for jobs in China. Likewise, try looking for a job in Japan or Korea if you're only proficient in English.

How much better is the Spore education system:confused: In practical terms, is it going to help Sporeans get jobs?
We are losing jobs to filipinos, Indonesians, Indians, PRC chinese,... in our own backyard.

I know many older Sporeans who are making good money using only english in the angmo countries. They are also enjoying a good lifestyle in these countries. Can't say the same for people who work in China.

Anyone out there making a swiss standard of living working in China or using mandarin on a daily basis at work :confused:

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Why would anyone want to study any subject related to that loser, fake country?

Unrepented

Alfrescian
Loyal
This is what I was saying all along......it is happening to sinkies also.....companies hiring "returning nationals for overseas jobs hiring in sinkieland...... less opportunities for our young sinkies.......long term suicide.

Another is NS, one company thought of hiring poly interns first, test out then hire permanent....but these sinkie interns need to break for Nass, so dropped the idea and hire foreginers....true fact.

60% still sleeping with the help of fucking Pappy Ibs and traitors.:*:

[...... As multinationals in China hire mostly locals, a growing percentage of whom have studied abroad, they have less need for foreigners ...........

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
They can learn Mandarin in Taiwan, not necessarily to go to China.

Some people are good in languages. Those who do well are interested maybe because they have ties or some kind of interest in those countries:confused:
What I dislike about it was the way it was implemented in the Spore school system. In my day the chinese teachers would wack you if you made mistakes. It really turned me off about learning mandarin:(

LKY may have "his" reasons for learning chinese, but I am not LKY & have other interests. For example I took up german at the university & enjoyed myself. Jim Rogers sends his children to a Spore school & they have learned chinese. However Sporeans are not allowed to go to these international schools in Spore.