• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Is this the Singapore we want?

micromachine

Lieutenant General
Loyal
Firstly, Singapore is a country which places strong emphasis on education and since most jobs require at least a bachelor's degree, the government is constantly coaxing Singaporeans to 'study', encouraging them to do well in their 'O's , 'N's or 'A's and so on. However as a student, I sigh at the sight of my friends mugging all night just to study for one test trying their best to score a distinction for the subject. Yes, there is nothing wrong in mugging just to get good grades but if you ask yourself, are you actually really learning something through your years of education or are you just memorising all the information shoved down your throat? In Singapore, students are mostly memorising their work for just one or two tests and will soon forget what they had committed to memory. If students were surveyed on learning outcomes, how many would confidently say that they have learnt everything they needed and understood every single thing their teacher taught them ? And how many would actually say that they merely needed to memorise their notes/textbooks/model answers just so to score well in their examinations?

Secondly, local students have to compete with foreigners in schools. It is true foreigners are able to provide Singapore with certain amount of benefits, however with additional competition comes a whole lot of additional mental stress to survive well in academics. I might be wrong in thinking this way but I find it utterly disgusting how Singapore has changed itself just to accommodate all the foreigners and yet they had the audacity to treat us locals rudely and disrespect other cultures, especially the Muslims and the Indians. Growing up, I have also seen for myself how greenery have continued disappearing at an alarming rate as more and more parcels of land are freed up for building roads, condominiums, HDBs and other infrastructures-all in the name of coping with the demands of a fast growing population. Growing population? I guess you mean growing number of immigrants? If the government was to genuinely consider the feelings of its (born and bred here) citizens and not just be so ever fixated on growing the country's economy, I believe that there would be fewer complaints, fewer 'kiasu' people.

More at Is this the Singapore we want?

iluvgst

Alfrescian
Loyal
yawn...government where got consider people's feelings? they only consider feelings of their capitalist cronies. only when them cronies rake in more millions in salaries with beneficial economic policies, can pap enjoy more of taxpayers monies through the salary peg.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Also, the pappies love to psycho the youngsters into studying what the pappies predict (often laughably wrongly) is the 'next big thing' in the economy, with guaranteed jobs for everyone. In the early 2000s, it was the 'life sciences'. :rolleyes: