• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

The Bible says: The Earth is immovable!

drifteri

Alfrescian
Loyal
Except among Biblical inerrantists, it is generally agreed that the Bible describes an immovable earth. At the 1984 National Bible-Science Conference in Cleveland, geocentrist James N. Hanson told me there are hundreds of scriptures that suggest the earth is immovable. I suspect some must be a bit vague, but here are a few obvious texts:

1 Chronicles 16:30: “He has fixed the earth firm, immovable.”

Psalm 93:1: “Thou hast fixed the earth immovable and firm ...”

Psalm 96:10: “He has fixed the earth firm, immovable ...”

Psalm 104:5: “Thou didst fix the earth on its foundation so that it never can be shaken.”

Isaiah 45:18: “...who made the earth and fashioned it, and himself fixed it fast...”

-Robert J. Schadewald

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
Except among Biblical inerrantists, it is generally agreed that the Bible describes an immovable earth. At the 1984 National Bible-Science Conference in Cleveland, geocentrist James N. Hanson told me there are hundreds of scriptures that suggest the earth is immovable. I suspect some must be a bit vague, but here are a few obvious texts:

1 Chronicles 16:30: “He has fixed the earth firm, immovable.”

Psalm 93:1: “Thou hast fixed the earth immovable and firm ...”

Psalm 96:10: “He has fixed the earth firm, immovable ...”

Psalm 104:5: “Thou didst fix the earth on its foundation so that it never can be shaken.”

Isaiah 45:18: “...who made the earth and fashioned it, and himself fixed it fast...”

-Robert J. Schadewald

Cut and paste stuff....DIVA is just a copy cat....oops did I say CAT? LOL!

Tell me, does immovable necessarily means being stationary, perfectly still and locked in at one specific location or place? DIVA with the low IQ sure say YES! LOL!

Something can be fixed and immovable in relation to something else. So the earth is fixed in its orbit, immovable from its orbit. There refuted your futile attempt to discredit the Bible, and instead exposed you as no credit and lousy interpreter of the Bible. LOL!

drifteri

Alfrescian
Loyal
Ox
Cut and paste stuff....DIVA is just a copy cat....oops did I say CAT? LOL!

Tell me, does immovable necessarily means being stationary, perfectly still and locked in at one specific location or place? DIVA with the low IQ sure say YES! LOL!

Something can be fixed and immovable in relation to something else. So the earth is fixed in its orbit, immovable from its orbit. There refuted your futile attempt to discredit the Bible, and instead exposed you as no credit and lousy interpreter of the Bible. LOL!

What kind of lame and wishy argument. What is the logical explanation of fixing on it's foundation added with immovable.?

Perhaps you can tell us which passages say the earth is fixed in its orbit. ?

drifteri

Alfrescian
Loyal
Agoraphobic,

Seek your unbiased view on fix + firm + unmovable on it's foundation. Do you see any suggestion of earth fixed on it's orbit?

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
Ox

What kind of lame and wishy argument. What is the logical explanation of fixing on it's foundation added with immovable.?

Perhaps you can tell us which passages say the earth is fixed in its orbit. ?

As far as I am concerned, all I really need to do is to give a reasonable explanation that renders your post a FAILED post, and my job is done. If you want to insist that the text is teaching planetary science, then I can of course indulge you and play along. LOL!

But then I can also take the extra trouble to one by one deal with the verses cited, but will it be of any good?:rolleyes:

1 Chron 16:30m - context was a song of David, it is very normal for song lyrics to be fanciful at times without necessarily intending to teach scientific fact, e.g. like trees shout for joy before the Lord. But failed DIVA will say Bible is teaching that trees can shout. LOL! Same for the rest of the verses that are from the Psalms. What are Psalms? Songs lah!

Isaiah 45:18 - various translations read

For this is what the Lord says—he who created the heavens, he is God; he who fashioned and made the earth, he founded it; he did not create it to be empty, but formed it to be inhabited—he says: “I am the Lord, and there is no other" - NIV

For the Lord is God, and he created the heavens and earth and put everything in place. He made the world to be lived in, not to be a place of empty chaos. “I am the Lord,” he says, and there is no other." - NLT

For thus says the Lord, who created the heavens (He is the God who formed the earth and made it, He established it and did not create it a waste place, but formed it to be inhabited), “I am the Lord, and there is none else. - NASB

The Lord created the heavens. He is the God who formed the earth and made it. He did not ·want [create] it to be ·empty [or formless; chaotic; Gen. 1:2], but he ·wanted life on the earth [L formed it to be inhabited]. This is what the Lord says: “I am the Lord. There is no other God. - Expanded Bible

So you see how failed DIVA is? When read in its context does the verse intend to teach about earth being perfectly still, or flat, or not moving through space? So many translations available that one can check up to clarify the text and what it means, but failed DIVA chooses the translation that he thinks he can use to his twisted advantage to bash the Bible. DIVA is failed and lazy too.

drifteri

Alfrescian
Loyal
Accordingly, does that mean the same reasoning needs to apply to the story of dust man, ribbed woman and the talking snake? Be consistent, not wishy washy!

Last edited:

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
Accordingly, does that mean the same reasoning needs to apply to the story of dust man, ribbed woman and the talking snake? Be consistent, not wishy washy!

Your reasoning skills are almost non-existent so I don't think it can be used. LOL!

Basically my approach to the Bible is simple, take literally the literal things and take nonliterally the nonliteral things. Confused? Go read up on hermeneutics and exegesis. No time? Then don't venture into deep waters where you will drown.:rolleyes:

drifteri

Alfrescian
Loyal
The fool-proof christianic mental model:

Take literally- talking snake, life can come from dusk, walking bush, parting the sea, walking on water, prayer can heal medical conditions, etc

Take non-literally - fix, firm, immovable, cannot be shaken, create the moon as light, circumcision, etc

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
The fool-proof christianic mental model:

Take literally- talking snake, life can come from dusk, walking bush, parting the sea, walking on water, prayer can heal medical conditions, etc

Take non-literally - fix, firm, immovable, cannot be shaken, create the moon as light, circumcision, etc

Here's a reply I am quoting from someone else that again shows how DIVA is really FAILED. LOL!

Actually, what the author and those he sites as his authorities have failed to do is to take into consideration that the Hebrew term for earth, eretz, does not always refer to the earth as a globe per se. The term has different meanings in different contexts. Hence, the author has committed a word fallacy, also known as the etymological fallacy, attributing the root meaning to a word as opposed to allowing the context to define what the word means.

For instance, the Brown-Driver-Briggs Hebrew lexicon defines eretz as:

Strong's No. 776 : 'erets {eh'-rets}
Word Usage in KJV:
land 1543, earth 712, country 140, ground 98, world 4, way 3, common 1, field 1, nations 1, wilderness 1;

Definition(s)

1) land, earth

a) earth
1) whole earth (as opposed to a part)
2) earth (as opposed to heaven)
3) earth (inhabitants)
b) land
1) country, territory
2) district, region
3) tribal territory
4) piece of ground
5) land of Canaan, Israel
6) inhabitants of land
7) Sheol, land without return, (under) world
8) city (-state)
c) ground, surface of the earth
1) ground
2) soil
d) (in phrases)
1) people of the land
2) space or distance of country (in measurements of distance)
3) level or plain country
4) land of the living
5) end(s) of the earth
e) (almost wholly late in usage)
1) lands, countries
a) often in contrast to Canaan
(Source: Blue Letter Bible)

Examples of the different ways the Bible uses the term include:

"And God said let the waters under heaven be gathered together unto one place, and let dry land (eretz) appear; and it was so. And called the dry land (eretz) Earth (eretz); and the gathering together of the waters called he Seas and God saw that it was goo." Genesis 1:9-10 KJV

The Holy Bible clearly states that God specifically named the dry land "earth". This strongly implies that when a Bible writer speaks of the earth's foundations or that the earth is fixed it does not necessarily imply that the global structure of the earth is in view. As noted Christian Scientist Dr. Henry Morris states in his commentary on Psalm 104:5, a verse cited by the author above:

"foundations of the earth. The earth's 'matter,' the 'dust of the earth' or its physical elements, was created on the first day of the creation week, evidently suspended in the pervasive waters. The earth's foundations, solid, continental blocks of material, were not laid until the third day, rising out of the waters. Once formed, this planet earth was destined to continue forever." (Morris, The Defenders Study Bible-King James Version [Word Publishing, Grand Rapids MI, 1995], p. 649)