• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Dear trs, iras immediately started asking us to pay my deceased relative's tax!

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
[h=1]DEAR TRS, IRAS IMMEDIATELY STARTED ASKING US TO PAY MY DECEASED RELATIVE'S TAX![/h]
Post date:
4 Mar 2015 - 11:55pm

Dear TRS,
Recently, my family member passed away and we filed most of the paperwork about the death.
Our family was still grieving about our loss when we suddenly got this inconsiderate letter in our mail.
The Inland Revenue Authority of Singapore (IRAS) was demanding that we pay my deceased relative's outstanding tax! Apparently she owed $458.55.
It looks like even the dead must pay tax in Singapore, even though they got rid of the estate duty many years ago.
Oz8e1Ef.jpg

MMY
TRS Contributor

syed putra

Alfrescian
Loyal
I don't know we are responsible for our relatives tax matters? this is like passing the buck. income tax is a personal matter between the state and the person shouldn't it?

looneytan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I am glad we have a very thorough gahment to take care of us

I hope Miss Lee will also write to the old Lee's relative on the same matter after the old Lee passes on

aerobwala

Alfrescian
Loyal
They got a very chaokah tactic of suka suka freezing your bank account.
I don't know we are responsible for our relatives tax matters? this is like passing the buck. income tax is a personal matter between the state and the person shouldn't it?

prancku

Alfrescian
Loyal
They got a very chaokah tactic of suka suka freezing your bank account.

The process is more complicated than this.

Read carefully the language used in the demand letter ..." from the estate of xxx". While not directly asking some relative to pay the outstanding tax personally, the demand is asking the personal representative, or executor of the estate or the administrator of the estate to pay the outstanding amount 'from the estate'. If the representative is currently holding enough money belonging to the deceased, it is just a matter of going to the IRAS and paying off the outstanding tax. If there is no or not enough money for the outstanding tax, then simply reply that there is no or not enough money to pay the outstanding tax.

So easy??....NYET!!!

Because when the representative of the estate go ahead to handle the estate by applying for either a letter of administration (deceased died without will) or probate (decease died with a valid will) and when all dusts are settled by the court in 6 to 12 months time and a letter of administration or probate has been issued, there will be a surprise awaiting. The representative will find that the money from the estate cannot be made available immediately for distribution because of an outstanding tax not paid. Yes, the bank account of the estate will be 'frozen'!!!

So, the simplified process to handle this is to write to IRAS and say representative now in process to apply for letter of administration or probate. The amount cannot be paid yet as deceased estate does not have enough money at the moment. The outstanding tax will be paid when the money is available in the deceased bank account 6 to 12 months later. When this happens, then, go to the IRAS to inform them that estate funds are now available and please 'unfreeze' the bank account. If this is successful, use the money from the account to pay off the outstanding tax and any other known and officially lodged outstanding estate debts. Only then can the remainder of estate money be distributed. Please expect the to and fro process between the IRAS, the bank, the other estate creditors, the Official Assignee, etc to take some more months.

Handling this really taxes one's patience with lots of delays. Some monkeys involved in the process may also throw in some wrenches here and there and delay the process ... for example, one party (say the bank) awaiting for IRAS reply to release the money, no reply, no action, or IRAS officer handling case is on long leave, etc, etc. Typically, each person awaiting or taking his own sweet time to take action because the money is 'see lang' money, so can wait!!!

Final advice. If representative of the estate or some other relative is in need of the available money from the estate it is best for the representative to take his or her own initiative and get the process going. Sometimes the representative may need to plod some lazy bum to take some action (for example a reply, etc). In complicated or challenged estates (some relative does not agree with the will or put up some other challenges), the services of a lawyer may even be needed.

OK then, personal representative of the estate, since you take on this task, go and do the job with more than a pinch of sugar and salt. Remember of smile :smile: when monkeys start throwing wrenches!!!

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
fuck care lah, tell the IRS to talk to the decomposed body in the coffin lah..talk to you for what.. it has nothing to do with you.

They are fucking incompetent to get tax from him when he was alive and it is not your fault..

SInkies.. it is time to show your balls in this situation.. show me how you can handle it with balls...if not, then i am right to stay away from sinkies.

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
A bit cheem, could you just tell if boss Sam is right or me?
I had to sort out my grey matter too. I only got 6/10 of the quiz, so back to school :o

If "object", then sam's (unfortunately) right :p. Unless you reverse the order, and say who did the deceased vote for? (subject?).

Last edited:

SgGoneWrong

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I had to sort out my grey matter to. I only got 6/10 of the quiz, so back to school :o

If "object", then sam's (unfortunately) right :p. Unless you reverse the order, and say who did the deceased vote for? (subject?).

Thanks for trying.

LOL2015

Alfrescian
Loyal
Pay And Pay Supporters Come In And See This LETTER !! SONG BO ??

Died liao, also MUST PAY !! :rolleyes:

Last edited:

zeroo

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: Pay And Pay Supporters Come In And See This LETTER !! SONG BO ??

I'm very happy to see IRAS doing its job. It's an unpleasant job but someone has to do it.

Death does *not* cancel your debt obligations. We typically pay taxes on a delayed basis after earning the income. Just because you die does not mean that the debt is cancelled. Notice how the letter is addressed to *the Estate* of the deceased and not to the next of kin. The tax is supposed to be paid out from the money and assets that the deceased leaves behind and not by the personal funds of family or friends.

This is not an unusual practice and it's not unique to Singapore . There is nothing to kpkb about.