• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Singapore was found to be 11% more expensive than New York for basic groceries.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
any ERP and petrol tax in New York?
how good is New York public transportation?

hourly parking rates in manhattan below 96th street are even worse than i thought. it's us$3.50 per hour or more than $75 a day.

http://www.nyc.gov/html/dot/html/motorist/parking-rates.shtml

there's toll going through the tunnels into manhattan. the last time i paid us$6 per entry. then, 8-hour parking in secure private lots after the tunnel below 32nd was around us$50. after 8 hours, it doubled until dawn the next morning. cash toll is now us$14 per entry through the lincoln or holland tunnels and bridges, and e-zpass toll is us$9.75 during off-peak hours and us$11.75 during peak hours.

http://www.panynj.gov/bridges-tunnels/tolls.html

gas tax is charged per gallon everytime you top up in any gas station. it's included in the fuel price.

http://www.tax.ny.gov/pdf/publications/multi/pub908.pdf

the ny subway (metro) is extensive, but it is old, noisy, unreliable and prone to schedule changes depending on season, time of day, and equipment and personnel availability. you have to constantly listen to service announcements not to be left stranded on lines and stations. stations are old, dirty, and crowded. you'll be subjected to sights of sewer and rusty stains dribbling down pillars, shafts, stairways and walls. it's stinky too. do not puke. get used to the shitty conditions. but it's the most convenient and sometimes fastest way to get from point a to point b in and around manhattan. outside manhattan in other boroughs, the metro system is not as dense, diverse, and extensive. wait intervals can be from 5 minutes to 15 depending on line, time of day, and day of week. in the path system, wait times can be as long as 30 minutes on weekdays and 1 hour on weekends and midnight. the smrt system, by far, is way better, cleaner, newer, quieter, and more timely than the metro system.

Last edited:

gingerlyn

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
the only way to refute EIU is to charge EIU for defamation, just like the way PM Lee Hsien Loong charged Roy.

PM Lee Hsien Loong, u must be courageous to charge EIU for defamation as EIU has spoiled your reputation with the title world most expensive country

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
the only way to refute EIU is to charge EIU for defamation, just like the way PM Lee Hsien Loong charged Roy.

PM Lee Hsien Loong, u must be courageous to charge EIU for defamation as EIU has spoiled your reputation with the title world most expensive country

the eiu study includes the price of automobiles, inclusive of coe and the hefty 200% tax on auto purchases in sg, and that alone totally skews the comparison. remove auto prices, and it will be more apples to apples. most new yorkers do not own cars and or drive if they live in manhattan, queens, brooklyn, or staten island.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Which modern economic theory claims there's a direct relationship between being the most expensive city and higher standard of living??

Is your theory based on LEEconomics?

Leongsam, please enlighten me, can or not?

It's based on common sense. The reason why things in Singapore are expensive is because there is a high demand for the goods and services.

The reason why there is high demand is because Singapore is one of the most desirable locations in the world to live and work in.

The reason why high prices can be maintained is because the people who fuel the demand have lots of money.

You don't need fancy economics theories to figure out something that is so simple and straightforward that even my dog understands what is going on.

Manager

Don't mess with me
Generous Asset
of course...otherwise why do u think i am here?

and also, because i am so good. i will always be in the high earner group anywhere i go
for your case, you will remain in the lower earning group wherever u are, unless you strive to achieve better.
you can start by supporting the PAP. :wink:

the question is: our salary higher than new york or not?

Isogallardo

Alfrescian
Loyal
Talking about most expensive, did anyone talk about the salaries?

http://goo.gl/9438ky

With the exception of Norway, everyone else on the EIU’s expensive city list ranks more or less the same as Singapore when it comes to salaries. This is salary hasn’t factored in the taxes that they have to pay (which can be anything between 20% – 40% of their salary).

You must also consider the fact that we’re nowhere near the mega-economies like the US, Germany and even oil rich Norway.

Healthcare is heavily subsidised in Singapore, and so is the purchase of HDB apartments, and only about 30% of Singaporeans actually pay any tax at all (and always those in the higher income bracket)

Reddog

Alfrescian
Loyal
Singapore Tops The World. Yipeeee !! Thank you, PAP.

Singapore is the No. 1. (Uno).

Singapore topped the list as the priciest city to live in, according to a twice-yearly worldwide cost of living survey carried out by The Economist Intelligence Unit.

Top 10 most expensive cities in the world

1. Singapore
2. Paris
3. Oslo
4. Zurich
5. Sydney
6. Melbourne
7. Geneva
8. Copenhagen
9. Hong Kong
10. Seoul

dr.wailing

Alfrescian
Loyal
It's based on common sense. The reason why things in Singapore are expensive is because there is a high demand for the goods and services. The reason why there is high demand is because Singapore is one of the most desirable locations in the world to live and work in. The reason why high prices can be maintained is because the people who fuel the demand have lots of money.
What you've described is called Leeconomics. You may not know it as such but eminent economists have given it the term ages ago.

I wish to take the liberty of putting forth a few more tenets of Leeconomics:

1. Poor Sinkies have themselves to blame. They are lazy and refuse to work hard. That's why they are poor.

2. College (read: university) grads produce offspring that are smarter than those produced by non-college grads.

3. Employers prefer to hire foreign PMEs because local PMEs refuse to do the jobs offered to them. Examples are: CEO of DBS, CEO of Singapore Exchange, CEO of Scoot, are all foreigners because Sinkies don't want to work in such jobs.

4. Sinkieland doesn't implement a minimum wage because it'll make the country less competitive. Jobs will move out of Sinkieland. (cf. Hongkong has a minimum wage for almost two years now and have jobs moved out of HK?)

5. Sinkapore was a sleepy fishing village surrounded by swamps before her independence. It was thanks to Leeconomics that Sinkieland has become the most expensive city in the world for the second time running.

6. Where public transport is concerned, the gabrament must socialize costs.

7. The Prime Miniature, Prime Ministar and his cabinet of ministars must be paid multi-million $ salaries. This has to be done so as to attract the best talents to govern the country.
You don't need fancy economics theories to figure out something that is so simple and straightforward that even my dog understands what is going on.
Is your dog the two-legged species without a tail? There are many such dogs trailing LHL whenever he goes on his walkabouts in his constituencies.

Satyr

Alfrescian
Loyal
It's based on common sense. The reason why things in Singapore are expensive is because there is a high demand for the goods and services.

The reason why there is high demand is because Singapore is one of the most desirable locations in the world to live and work in.

The reason why high prices can be maintained is because the people who fuel the demand have lots of money.

Stick to English and stay away from economics. Costs in Singapore come down to three things. Land and labour and taxes. Labour costs are not higher than in NY. Neither is tax I am sure. So what's left ? Who controls land and rentals ? Even if demand is high , is there a worldwide of regional shortage of eggs or flour ? The actual cost of the goods is pretty low. The distribution costs are high.

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
With respect, I believe that the "asset enhancement scheme" and resultant artificially inflated property prices and unreasonably high rent (even for HDB controlled hawker centres and food courts) is a major contributor to the comparatively high cost of living (relative to the income of residents in New York, Toronto, etc.)

THE_CHANSTER

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The omission of the EIU survey by the local MSM as a major story is truly pathetic and typical of their 'cherry-picking' of news stories which will only put Singapore in a positive light.

Last edited: