• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chopsticks people : Chinese, Chinese. Koreans, Japanese, Viets, et al....

Force 136

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
945983d28fd3937d8cf4b282b5c86200753b819e.png

All the Chopstick using people used the Chinese script at one time in their history......The 21st century will see the rise of these nations if they reintegrate and standardise the use of Chinese script once again.

Vietnam has latinized its language and it is more difficult for Viets to return to Chu Nom than Japanese or Koreans. The latinize Viet codification was thought to be ugly, and causes much ambiguity. Is this the reason why they lag behind the others in economic and cultural development?Why are there so many rich China Chinese, but we don't see any rich Viets around?

If Koreans are so mean as some of you have stated, how come they can make the best TV dramas and movies? They were labourers in Singapore not so long ago....... If their culture is so backward, why do the Chinese flock there as tourists? Why are people learning Korean?

And what is happening to the Jap economy? If they could re-integrate economically and culturally with China, they could save themselves....

Why is a Singaporean mamak buying a $600 Korean rice-cooker when he eats with his hands ?? OK, I give up.... its getting too complicated.....

Last edited:

Force 136

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
There is a large number of cognate vocabularies sharing a common origin of Chinese Characters (Hanzi, Kanji, Hanja, Hantu) among Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Vietnamese. Therefore, If we could write these common words in each other's languages, it will be an efficient language learning method for Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Vietnamese.

for example:

“警察”
= cảnh sát (Vietnamese)
= ㄐㄧㄥˇ ㄔㄚˊ / jǐng chá (Chinese)
= けいさつ / keisatu (Japanese)
= 경찰 / gyeong chal (Korean)
= [ Policeman ]

It is a Same-Chinesecharacter-Same-Meaning vocabulary, the pronunciations are slightly varied from each other, but meanings are the same, because they are all sharing the same origin which based on the same Chinese character.

Besides, we also should pay attention to the Same-Chinesecharacter-Different-Meaning vocabulary (同字異義語), for example:

"差別" in Japanese and Korean (차별) means "discrimination, against"; while in Chinese and Vietnamese (sai biệt), it means "divergent, difference".

And the Same-Meaning-Different-Chinesecharacter vocabulary(異字同義語) are also interesting, for example:

Japanese, Korean (병원), Vietnamese (bệnh viện) use "病院" for "hospital", but Chinese usually use "醫院" for "hospital".

syed putra

Alfrescian
Loyal
It takes too much time to learn chinese . Too complicated. In the end, even the Chinese are using bastardized English in their language. Same with japanese and Koreans.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Some Thais eat rice with their hands too.

The Viets are basically mainland Chinese (Hainanese?) who migrated south along the coast. They are culturally distinct from the Thais or Cambodians.

The Viets are hardcore fans of TVB dramas and wuxia flicks. Dubbed in their language, of course.

Viets, Thais, Khmers (Cambodians) and Burmese really hated one another in olden days. You attack me, I attack you. :biggrin:

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
sorry i dont really know or care much about asian culture and tv but korean tv shows and drama is really crap.among the three japanese,chinese and korean.korean is the most cheeziest,mindless,pop culture low iq garbage.their only saving grace is the graphics looks good,lots of cgi and the stars are surgically perfect like barbie and ken.otherwise the plot and character development leaves nothing much for the braincells.

.................................................................................................................................................................................................

According to a Korean media report, a recent research report shows that among Chinese viewers, those who love watching Korean television series are mostly low education and low income groups.

A research team led by Seoul National University Media Informatics Department professor Jiang Mingqiu (transliteration) has recently published a paper titled “A Guide to Chinese Television Audiences’ Television Consumption Tastes/Patterns”. According to this thesis, the higher the education and income a Chinese viewer has, the more he/she loves to watch American and Japanese TV shows, while the lower the education and income a Chinese viewer has, the more he/she prefers to watch TV series produced by Korea and Chinese Taiwan.

According to the paper, viewers with high education and high income prefer “rational and light-hearted” TV shows, therefore, they mostly prefer American TV shows. Whereas the reason why viewers with low education and low income prefer Korean TV shows is because the logic of some Korean TV series is bad, you don’t have to use your brain when watching them, and can simply “let off steam/release emotions”.

Last edited:

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
It takes too much time to learn chinese . Too complicated. In the end, even the Chinese are using bastardized English in their language. Same with japanese and Koreans.

also mandarin tend to sound boring on tv.not as flamboyant as cantonese or japanese.

Sinkie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I've previously posted a thread about the Korean language is Tamil in its origin.

Think_PAP

Alfrescian
Loyal
Most important thing for Asian people is to know how to reject and alianate Western Rubbish Cultural Influence and particularly their Evil Naive Values. This is the poison killing the goodness in Asian Culture.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

The Viets are basically mainland Chinese (Hainanese?) who migrated south along the coast. They are culturally distinct from the Thais or Cambodians.

The Viets are hardcore fans of TVB dramas and wuxia flicks. Dubbed in their language, of course.

Viets, Thais, Khmers (Cambodians) and Burmese really hated one another in olden days. You attack me, I attack you. :biggrin:

Many, many, many years ago, when I was young, we used to receive letters from a relative from Cholon-Saigon & it came with the postmarked that says "Saigon-Cholon", it was written in Chinese characters in front. I think the town city of Cholon, are mostly Cantonese speaking Chinese...

tanwahtiu

Alfrescian
Loyal
Ask the Viet they deny Viet was once belong to China. 越南 is distance south in Chinese.

Would an independent country that never been part of another country call their country distance south? Distance south to what?

Would Thailand be distant south to Vietnam or Distant north to Malaysia?

How about Singapore known as 越南马 to Malaysia?

North Asian regions need an unified language for commerce and trade, but why change when China is now lumber 1 economy in the world ( in 30 years). More importantly simplified the writing (300 words enough to read commerce document) and the rest of words for cultural and entertainment.

Chinese is not hard to learn and people are not thought to learn it correctly under the now evil LKY (in mechanical vent now) regime who hate Chinese people and sucks to the whiteman cocks.

赢 子 looks difficult to remember and write? Not so when I explain to you this word has meaningful radicals put together for the word. Search tanwahtiu nick to find how I explain 赢子 and you will remember it for life.

Last edited:

looneytan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
According to a Korean media report, a recent research report shows that among Chinese viewers, those who love watching Korean television series are mostly low education and low income groups....viewers with high education and high income prefer “rational and light-hearted” TV shows, therefore, they mostly prefer American TV shows. Whereas the reason why viewers with low education and low income prefer Korean TV shows is because the logic of some Korean TV series is bad, you don’t have to use your brain when watching them, and can simply “let off steam/release emotions”.
As observed from people who watch those dramas from their handheld on MRT (mostly women).. Yes, they look to belong to that group

Reddog

Alfrescian
Loyal
Many, many, many years ago, when I was young, we used to receive letters from a relative from Cholon-Saigon & it came with the postmarked that says "Saigon-Cholon", it was written in Chinese characters in front. I think the town city of Cholon, are mostly Cantonese speaking Chinese...

Cholon, the Chinatown of Saigon. "Cholon Dien May". Cantonese and Teochew reign supreme here. Our Guniang unbeatable too.