• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

My $600 mistake CUCKOO rice cooker from South Korea

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
not true leh. i cooked brown rice before & din notice any foaming. i think old rice tends to foam. i remember once i bot too many packets of white rice & i noticed the last packet the rice looked a bit yellowish. that packet foamed a lot but tasted ok.

i think there are dedicated rice steamers. steamed rice takes longer to cook & imparts a different texture & flavour. can try first with an improvised steamer & see how it suits you. another method is to double boil, but for brown rice it may be like waiting for the cows to come home.

Do you have to soak brown rice say 1/2 hr before you boil them?. I try cooking all sort of rice, from long grains to short grains....ahh!, Thai, Fragrance Rice, Hom, Jasmine...Australian Rice, California Rice..Bismati, Pooni etc...all of them you have to trial & error to get a perfect pot...or it gets too dry, too mushy, undercook....not one type of rice is the same..

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Do you have to soak brown rice say 1/2 hr before you boil them?. I try cooking all sort of rice, from long grains to short grains....ahh!, Thai, Fragrance Rice, Hom, Jasmine...Australian Rice, California Rice..Bismati, Pooni etc...all of them you have to trial & error to get a perfect pot...or it gets too dry, too mushy, undercook....not one type of rice is the same..

do you know what is cuckoo manual - settings gaba or nutrient rice?

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
i'm constantly teaching my stomach, intestines and rectum to process different grains and granules in order for them not to get lulled into complacency, like sinkies are in sg. constantly sticking spurs into thick hides is a good thing for health and rejuvenation. :p

health reason. ok. i would probably not try the other rice. i do not eat healthy.

spinn

Alfrescian
Loyal

i dun soak before cooking. ya, getting the rice cooked and cooked just right are 2 entirely different things. different types of rice cook differently and even the same type of rice but different brand taste & cook differently. even the same type & brand but different batches may need adjustment to the amount of water. always cook the same amount each time for consistent results.

thats why i think is impossible to invent a truely automatic rice cooker.:biggrin:

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
What about multi-grain rice? Do you buy those 5 grain or 10 grain type typically sold in supermarket. Not sure what are those grains but they usually sell them in such packaging.

multi-grain lice comprise short grain, long grain, medium grain of various colors: brown, red, white. the unpolished mixed lice that i consume are long grain jasmine lice from thailand. they come in 3 colors: black, brown, red.

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
not true leh. i cooked brown rice before & din notice any foaming. i think old rice tends to foam. i remember once i bot too many packets of white rice & i noticed the last packet the rice looked a bit yellowish. that packet foamed a lot but tasted ok.

i think there are dedicated rice steamers. steamed rice takes longer to cook & imparts a different texture & flavour. can try first with an improvised steamer & see how it suits you. another method is to double boil, but for brown rice it may be like waiting for the cows to come home.

I heard from a friend that even her cooker with brown rice function also all the foaming come out. Perhaps it is the multi grain that has alot of foaming then. The best thing about steaming multi grain/brown rice is no need to care about the foaming haha. Oic so there are actually dedicated rice steamers, okay will check out next time when needed.

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
multi-grain lice comprise short grain, long grain, medium grain of various colors: brown, red, white. the unpolished mixed lice that i consume are long grain jasmine lice from thailand. they come in 3 colors: black, brown, red.

Some of those grains don't look like rice leh, think i will read up the details on the package next time.

spinn

Alfrescian
Loyal
I heard from a friend that even her cooker with brown rice function also all the foaming come out. Perhaps it is the multi grain that has alot of foaming then. The best thing about steaming multi grain/brown rice is no need to care about the foaming haha. Oic so there are actually dedicated rice steamers, okay will check out next time when needed.

what type, brand & where you buy the multi-grain from? maybe i try a small pack as my rice is running out.

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
what type, brand & where you buy the multi-grain from? maybe i try a small pack as my rice is running out.

I never take note of the brand, only know it is called wu gu mi or shi gu mi in chinese. Nevermind i'm going to buy soon before msia implement GST and will tell you the brand. It is not bad, i think most SG and Msia supermarkets got sell. Try switching to multi-grain, it is very good for health.

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The irony of it all it's called a cuckoo rice cooker and of course cuckoo singhveld doesn't know how to operate it. Oh a double pun.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Thanks, I need to ask, since you mention it...how do you control the foam, I use the rice cooker to cook brown rice...the foam gets out, I have to clean the pot, plus the rice cooker....have not solved the problem of the foam....

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thanks, I need to ask, since you mention it...how do you control the foam, I use the rice cooker to cook brown rice...the foam gets out, I have to clean the pot, plus the rice cooker....have not solved the problem of the foam....

You asking spinn right? But nevermind I can share how i use steam oven to cook the multi-grain/brown rice. No matter what portion of rice, I use little water with the water level about a finger nail length above the rice. With that I just cover and leave it inside the steam oven and set 38 mins and it will be done.