• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Minister tan chuan-jin finds tissue seller who does it out of 'boredom'

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
MINISTER TAN CHUAN-JIN FINDS TISSUE SELLER WHO DOES IT OUT OF 'BOREDOM'

Post date:
26 Feb 2015 - 1:16pm

Minister Tan Chuan-Jin has somehow been able to find an elderly tissue paper seller who actually sells tissue paper for fun and to 'occupy herself'.
Posting about his encounter on Facebook, Minister Tan said that he met the woman and chat to her but didnt get the sense that she needed assistance or that she did it because she had no money.
Here is his facebook update on the issue:
*Updates*
Squeezed out a small window to run off the CNY calories before visiting shops and residents at Lengkong Tiga later. Came across two old persons along the way. One was a gentleman in a trishaw. He caught my eye because he was urinating against a traffic barrier just outside Cricket Club. He is somewhat disheveled. Though he claims that he stayed with his family in Tampines, I didn't get a coherent answer as to how he would get back home. He didn't have any monies on him either. Fortunately he had his IC with him. I'd ask MSF to take a look at his case. (He is on public assistance along with his siblings.and they have a 3-room flat. Good to know.)

Other lady was sitting on the floor selling tissue paper. I asked her if she was local and she laughed. I told her that the last time I spoke to someone in the same area, he was a foreigner. I sat with her and chatted. She stays in a rental flat with her husband who works. She has two married daughters. According to her, they were doing ok. In fact one of them called her on her mobile mid-way through our conversation. Was she in need? Did she need some assistance? She said that her husband doesn't really give her any money and he doesn't know that she was selling tissue. If he did, he would get angry. Her daughters knew though. They told her to be careful. I asked if she really had to do this to make ends meet. I didn't get a sense that she did. She said she wanted to be out of the house and be occupied. People were kind with her and sometimes gave her monies without taking the tissue. She didn't have her IC with her. But I think she seems ok. As I snapped this shot, a lady gave her an angpow and walked away.
I wished her 新年快乐! and then gingerly hobbled back to MOM.
---
Naturally, some netizens were skeptical and also pointed out that there were genuine concerns with these cases.
For example, one netizen pointed out that there was a problem of boredom with the pioneer generation and there should be more opportunities for them to do things to get them out and about:

Others pointed out that just because this elderly lady did not indicate that she was in trouble, doesn't mean that she isn't:

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
it's true. there's one ah pek who goes around bedok south selling recycled toothpicks because he's bored.

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
In the PAP world, the poor are poor out of choice (that's typical right-wing thinking) and they don't need help. Helping them would only make them remain poor.

soIsee

Alfrescian
Loyal
When your pay is much too high, your sense of logic and sense of perception gets 'warped'.

This is what is happening to TJC!

wendychan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
In the PAP world, the poor are poor out of choice (that's typical right-wing thinking) and they don't need help. Helping them would only make them remain poor.
and if u get any help at all, one must be FOOking more than eternally grateful

this guy is paid millions to say things like that? what a fooking laughing stock and evil

mojito

Alfrescian
Loyal
A tissue seller who does it out of boredom? My, some of these MIWs are so out of touch they can't even detect sarcasm!

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
bored uncle "keow kah" in sg.

image.jpg

Confuseous

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
A tissue seller who does it out of boredom? My, some of these MIWs are so out of touch they can't even detect sarcasm!

Bingo!
This Minister is the epitome of total disconnect between them and us.
Worse, this guy is not even aware that the other party was being sarcastic!
My, my.

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Vile pappies want to promote tissue selling as a retirement job....
Dun forget they get a $120 fee cut.....
Fucking greedy bastards!