• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Building HDB flats on prime sites may not bridge rich-poor divide, says Minister

BuiKia

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Aerial view of The Pinnacle at Duxton. Building HDB flats on prime land is not the panacea for bridging the rich-poor divide, Minister for Social and Family Development Chan Chun Sing said. -- PHOTO: ST FILE
By Rennie Whang Published on Feb 25, 2015 8:57 PM
SINGAPORE - Building HDB flats on prime land is not the panacea for bridging the rich-poor divide, Minister for Social and Family Development Chan Chun Sing said today.
This is because there then arises questions of how to allocate the flats, of cross-subsidies and even whether there would be interaction between the various residents.

Speaking at a panel at the inaugural Real Estate Developers' Association of Singapore (Redas) Mentorship Programme, which was attended by about 50 students from the National University of Singapore (NUS) and the Nanyang Technological University (NTU), Mr Chan said: "Is it fair for someone to 'tikam' (Malay for taking a random chance), ballot and pay an artificially low price for a flat in the heart of Downtown, and five years later, after the Minimum Occupancy Period, enjoy a windfall?

"What this means is, those who did not get the flat through the ballot are cross-subsidising them."

Taking the example of The Pinnacle@Duxton, he noted that apart from potential capital gains, residents would be paying Housing Board conservancy fees of $125 a month. Equivalent services at a private condo - including lifts to the 50th or top storey, rooftop garden - could be triple that.

To date, 16 four-room flats at the project have been sold at $810,000 to $955,000, and five five-room flats at $918,000 to $1.028 million - up from $289,200 to $380,900 for four-roomers and $345,100 to $439,400 for five-roomers at its launch.

It is questionable if social mixing takes place in the greater area of Tanjong Pagar, which has both Pinnacle@Duxton and one-room rental flats at Jalan Kukoh and Jalan Minyak.

"I doubt many of them even walk to each others' precincts," said Mr Chan.

While it is possible, too, to plan integrated communities to the extent of including rental flats in blocks of Build-To-Order (BTO) flats, Mr Chan asked whether Singaporeans would truly support this, and apply for such BTOs.

"Many people would wax lyrical about (solving the rich-poor divide), but we must touch our hearts (and ask ourselves), will you look down on someone because he stays in a rental flat in the same block?

"Will you shake your head and wonder why we are mixing with these people? 'Will they affect my flat value?'...If our hearts and our answers are different, it says something about us as individuals and as a society," said Mr Chan.

Real social mixing goes beyond architecture and having different housing types within the same precinct, he added. "I encourage the more successful people to give their time, talents and treasures."

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
It is questionable if social mixing takes place in the greater area of Tanjong Pagar, which has both Pinnacle@Duxton and one-room rental flats at Jalan Kukoh and Jalan Minyak.
"I doubt many of them even walk to each others' precincts," said Kee Chiu
So, why is his government continuing to impose the ethnic quota on HDB blocks? The same logic applies.

congo9

Alfrescian
Loyal
If he is our Prime Minister, we will be done for. It high time that he should be shown the door. He has nothing to offer, no talent nor any pearls of Wisdom.

If PAP is to bring in medicore talent like him, then we have Brillant Minister like Tharman. CCS fuck up and he got Tharman to clear up the shit. Just like MBT shit all over Singapore and we got another dung sweeper like KHAW to clear up the shit ( But he is even more crappier )

Are they cross subsidicing each other for their incompetence ?

Sometimes, these Minister is just getting crappier and crappier ...

congo9

Alfrescian
Loyal
Then why in the first place they have this brain fart to build HDB on prime land?

When they answer one question, another question pop up .....

You tell me these civil servants are cream of the crop and deserve high salary ?

It is totally illogical for them to build HDB in Prime land, then this CCS comes out and give such crappy explanation like cross subsidy ........people don't like to live with poorer people in the same heartland etc etc.Then what is the mission statement for HDB ?

Essentially, he is digging his own graveyard giving out such lame explanation.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
When they answer one question, another question pop up .....

You tell me these civil servants are cream of the crop and deserve high salary ?

It is totally illogical for them to build HDB in Prime land, then this CCS comes out and give such crappy explanation like cross subsidy ........people don't like to live with poorer people in the same heartland etc etc.Then what is the mission statement for HDB ?

Essentially, he is digging his own graveyard giving out such lame explanation.

He is preparing the ground for the eventual soon to be death of Old Fart and Cancer Loong. As I read his stupid words, the only thing that comes to my mind is that CCS is telling everyone that the HDB will not nationalize the many acres of prime land at Old Fart's residence Oxley Rise and turn them into HDB blocks. Much like HDB did with other people's land.

congo9

Alfrescian
Loyal
He is preparing the ground for the eventual soon to be death of Old Fart and Cancer Loong. As I read his stupid words, the only thing that comes to my mind is that CCS is telling everyone that the HDB will not nationalize the many acres of prime land at Old Fart's residence Oxley Rise and turn them into HDB blocks. Much like HDB did with other people's land.

The question still not been answered, why a HDB is being allowed to be build there then ?

dr.wailing

Alfrescian
Loyal
I wouldn't want peasants living near to me. They stink.
My dear friend, what you said is very correct.

Part of my psychology coursework involved studying the mindsets of the rich and powerful all over the world and do comparisons among them.

And you know what? All of them think alike: they do NOT want the have-nots to live next to them.