• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Third rate sporting event SEA Games to cost $325 million!! Song boh?

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
You believe their shit that one million people will attend the games? If you go by the previous history of 300% over budget for the YOG, than this 3rd class sporting event will cost $1 billion to sinkie taxpayers. Huat ah.

SINGAPORE: With 100 days to the opening ceremony of the Southeast Asian (SEA) Games in June, hosts Singapore have “70 per cent readiness” to stage the biennial meet, said Singapore SEA Games Organising Committee (SINGSOC) chairman Lim Teck Yin.

Speaking to the media on the sidelines of the SEA Games Sports Volunteers Night at Universal Studios Singapore on Tuesday night (Feb 24), Lim stressed that preparations are on track and is confident the buzz is building ahead of the Games, which will take place from Jun 5 to 16.

Tickets to marquee sports such as swimming, table tennis and badminton have been selling well, but he hopes more will be snapped up.

About 790,000 tickets are available for sale and watching 18 of the 36 sports will be free.

Organisers are targeting for 800,000 to one million visitors at the Kallang cluster during the Games, which will cost S$324.5 million to organise and will see about 4,900 athletes from 11 ASEAN nations competing across 31 competition venues in three clusters in Kallang, Marina Bay and the Singapore Expo.

Events such as the Singapore Track and Field Open Championships and OUE Singapore Badminton Open will allow organisers a test run of the facilities and operations.

“It is slowly catching on; we are receiving more and more feedback, and more queries,” said Lim on Tuesday.

“Ticket sales have been going fine and everyone’s looking forward to the Games. The perennial (popular sports) such as swimming, gymnastics, table tennis and badminton - these ticket sales are doing very well. The other sports are also starting to pick up as people get wind of the schedules.

“We are consolidating all the orders for bulk purchases from different organisations and will have a better picture after this month.”

He added: “Most importantly, my message to Singaporeans is Team Singapore needs your support, the athletes are putting themselves out there, training hard to do us proud. Our pride is at stake and you are the ones who will lift them up on those days of competition.”

Tuesday night’s event saw the launch of Team Nila, a new sports volunteer brand for about 17,000 Singaporeans and residents who have signed up as volunteers for the Games.

More than 5,000 volunteers were also treated to a night of fun and entertainment at Universal Studios’ Waterworld.

Among them was retiree Tang Chun Tuck, 62, who volunteered as a first-aider at the 1973 SEA Peninsular Games and 1983 SEA Games in Singapore. For this year’s Games, the former civil servant is playing a new role in media relations.

“My experience in 1973 was very memorable and I remember wearing my Red Cross uniform and working with the athletes,” he said. “The pleasant memories from those days spurred me to volunteer this time.”

Another volunteer is civil servant Loke Hon Wah, who was a liaison officer with Thailand’s athletics team during the 1993 SEA Games in Singapore, where he forged a friendship with long-distance runner Pongchanin Khokbua.

Loke hosted the Thai runner when he returned to Singapore for the Sheares Bridge Run in 1995 and the two friends reconnected a few years ago through Facebook after losing touch.

“I can’t put a finger on why we became good friends, but the two of us had a lot in common,” said Loke. “I am really looking forward to being part of this big event, especially with this being part of the SG50 celebrations.”

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
So much money... they better provide better food for the volunteers this time. After all, it is a SG50 year. :wink:

EeSCzfx.png

Yog+caterer+acts+of+food.jpg

Asterix

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
This is what happens when Opposition MPs are bogged down managing town councils and also kena fixed when trying to do so. They will not be able to perform their true function of holding the Gahbrament to account. SGD 325 million wor! Can run how many town councils for how many years arh?

I like this bugger, when angry throw away all pretence of being one with the People by using Canto, uses English to scold instead. He is exactly like me! Fireworks start at 3:40 ... ... Notice how young the girl answering the questions is. All the MiniSTARS and top civil serpents gone into hiding just like in Sinkieland. Important difference is that it is much much harder to fix their Opposition MPs. Why is that so? Something to do with the balls of the citizenry?

[video=youtube;RN9pn9GzWxk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RN9pn9GzWxk[/video]

mojito

Alfrescian
Loyal
An excellent event to herald in our 50 years of independence and interdependence with the PAP!

syed putra

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think many perverts will be there. especially for women's swimming, diving, athletics, gymnastics etcs.

tanakow

Alfrescian
Loyal
All athletes and officials are guaranteed 4 and 5 star hotels. No more Costa Sand or Downtown East chalets.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
By comparison, the entire Budget for the Ministry of Foreign Affairs for one year is $500 million. The entire budget for the Ministry of Culture, Community, and Youth is $489 million. This SEA Games budget is more than double the budget of the Attorney General's Office. This is not a cheap games for Singapore.

mojito

Alfrescian
Loyal
By comparison, the entire Budget for the Ministry of Foreign Affairs for one year is $500 million. The entire budget for the Ministry of Culture, Community, and Youth is $489 million. This SEA Games budget is more than double the budget of the Attorney General's Office. This is not a cheap games for Singapore.

We must show that we are a good host. Spare no expense to make this event the most talked about sporting event for years to come, and the envy of the international sporting community. After all, we can afford it!

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
The SEA games will cost the government $325 million, but will bring in much more in tourist spending and business collaborations. It's money well spent!

po2wq

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The SEA games will cost the government $325 million, but will bring in much more in tourist spending and business collaborations ...
a 3rd rate sporting event can oni attract 3rd rate spenders, if any @ all ...