• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

All you ReturnOurCPF‬ clowns should read this

zeroo

Alfrescian
Loyal
Mano Sabnani
Follow · Yesterday · Edited ·

Misconceptions on the CPF, the Minimum Sum Scheme, and the state of our national reserves are worrying...
*******************************************************************************************

You know, I have been thinking long and hard. And it disturbs me. There is so much misunderstanding and/or misinformation about our Central Provident Fund or CPF; whether the monies are safe; why CPF does not pay higher interest rates; why the government wants the Minimum Sum Scheme and have CPF monies actually been lost by the GIC or Temasek Holdings, the two state-owned investment entities.

Well, I don't have any special inside information on GIC or Temasek or the CPF. But from memory alone and years as a journalist covering some of these issues, I can say things are not as bad as they are made out to be. Our citizens deserve better, and that includes those who rely only on the internet for their information needs.

So here goes. A few pointers and hard facts. Hand on heart, I think these are largely correct. And this is not a defence of any entitity or the government. Just facts!

1. CPF monies are in safe hands; no risk of loss. Interest rate paid by CPF is above market rates for FDs or fixed deposits. Go check it out. The CPF interest rate is an outlier i.e unusually high for a zero-risk investment. As high as 5 per cent on the first $60,000 for some people

2. The Minimum Sum Scheme is an essential one. It should be made more flexible as planned but it should not be abandoned. The original purpose of CPF was to provide some income in old age and that is what MSS does.The withdrawal age has been pushed back for good reasons overall: Singaporeans are living longer and so total withdrawal at 55 years is unrealistic. Also vast sums of CPF money have been invested in property, and having the effect of reducing cash balances meant for retirement. Some liquidity for retirement needs has to be ensured via MSS

3. There are those who say the CPF vaults are empty and that is why the payments back to citizens are being delayed. This empty vault scare is total nonsense
Our reserves per capita are one of the highest in the world.. with GIC, Temasek and the statutory boards all holding sizeable sums. Sums that have grown over the years

4. Some online commentators, with due respect, don't understand how things work. CPF basically only buys special government bonds or securities, the proceeds of which are passed on to MAS and GIC for management. Its income is assured by returns on the special govt securities that it holds.

CPF does not invest directly in the GIC portfolio orTemasek portfolio. Why? It would be too risky to do so. But the corollary of that is that CPF cannot benefit from any windfall gains made by GIC or Temasek in certain years.

5. Another fact: our currency has been strong all these years because our foreign debt is low and reserves high, with relatively low inflation to boot. Singapore govt debt, while seemingly high, is largely domestic debt. It arises mainly because of the CPF scheme to ensure forced savings for all citizens.

It's not that the government wants to hold our money or needs it. Govt is simply CUSTODIAN of our CPF savings.

6 Another fact: GIC and Temasek have done relatively well over the longer term in investments. Yes; they lost money in some investments. But overall, over many years, tbey have been doing all right. Our national reserves are now probably in excess of $600 billion on a conservative, net of debt, basis

GIC could be more transparent?: I agree. That would silence its critics. But they have their reasons. Allowing citizens to know what exactly they hold and values arising could expose the country and its reserves to unnecessary scrutiny by hedge funds and other international market players. Better to be discreet; it is part of total defence!

7.The CPF Life insurance scheme is a good one. It stretches your Minimum Sum to ensure you receive monthly payouts ALL YOUR LIFE in return for relatively low premiums. All of us should take up that option. for our own sake!

Well, you have it. The basic facts. I'm sure there will be many views. Do comment with your own perspectives.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Let us start with the history,"The British colonial authority in Singapore introduced the CPF in 1955 as a compulsory savings scheme so as to allow workers to save for their retirement, 10 years after the end of the Japanese Occupation when people were struggling to make ends meet. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Central_Provident_Fund

A life savings to "make ends meet"....we work 30 years or more to reach 55 years of age, till the 1980's....I assisted my retired uncle at 55 years old to cash out his CPF cheque with Overseas Union Bank, OUE Building Annexe, near where SIMEX was located...& my colleague at that time, in 1983, cashed out his entire CPF Money when retired....they had option to retain the money & receive interest & get a monthly sum till the retirement money is drawn down. That was the purpose of CPF Retirement Fund...not imposing minimum sum at an increasing rate every year & can only withdraw a small sum at 55 years old.

Now, there are 675,000 55 years old and above, 450,000 65 years old and above...that is 1,125,000 CPF account holders at those ages. Say, they have 100,000 in the retirement accounts....that will be 112,500,000,000 dollars...can CPF show that it has dollar to dollar match of that amount for an example...if all these people, were to march into CPF Offices & demand, they want the money NOW?? if they can proof that figures...

then, we can believe all these paid & ghost writers....I will believe....but working for more than 30 years..I want my money..period!

JohnGao

Alfrescian
Loyal
Mano Sabnani
Follow · Yesterday · Edited ·

Misconceptions on the CPF, the Minimum Sum Scheme, and the state of our national reserves are worrying...
*******************************************************************************************

You know, I have been thinking long and hard. And it disturbs me. There is so much misunderstanding and/or misinformation about our Central Provident Fund or CPF; whether the monies are safe; why CPF does not pay ..........

No need so much crap. Just return my money at 55.

ionzu

Alfrescian
Loyal
Mano Sabnani
4. Some online commentators, with due respect, don't understand how things work. CPF basically only buys special government bonds or securities, the proceeds of which are passed on to MAS and GIC for management. Its income is assured by returns on the special govt securities that it holds.

CPF does not invest directly in the GIC portfolio orTemasek portfolio. Why? It would be too risky to do so. But the corollary of that is that CPF cannot benefit from any windfall gains made by GIC or Temasek in certain years.

and what if MAS or the GIC loses substantially in its investments? will there still be money to redeem the special government securities/bonds? of course not.

its a heads-i-win-tails-you-lose situation for CPF members.

its made to sound low risk, but in truth if there is a substantial loss, there will not be money left for the CPF members.

kiwibird7

Alfrescian
Loyal
The original premise of FULL WITHDRAWAL of CPF at age 55 has been unilaterally CHANGED which in itself is a betrayal or a break in contract- "no ifs or buts". Any changes or shifts in goalposts of CPF accounts should only affect new account holders from the date of legislation.

All the hogwash about 'caring' for citizens not having enough funds runs hollow when the PAP's mantra of 'you die, your business' is well known by all SINKIES!

shittypore

Alfrescian
Loyal
The original premise of FULL WITHDRAWAL of CPF at age 55 has been unilaterally CHANGED which in itself is a betrayal or a break in contract- "no ifs or buts". Any changes or shifts in goalposts of CPF accounts should only affect new account holders from the date of legislation.

All the hogwash about 'caring' for citizens not having enough funds runs hollow when the PAP's mantra of 'you die, your business' is well known by all SINKIES!

Will Davinder Singh be able to win tis case if its goes to Sinkie's Court?